PDA

View Full Version : The Sooner WRs vs. Whorn WRs....

SoonerJLB
4/28/2006, 04:49 PM
coming into the 2006, who would you give the edge to?

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 04:53 PM
For Texas: Billy Pittman,Limas Sweed and Quan Cosby
For Oklahoma: Malcolm Kelly,Manuel Johnson and Juaquin Igleasias
I think both receiving cores are good. But I probably give the edge to Texas because they're a little bit more experienced.

OUGreg723
4/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Even, because we have the better and more experienced QB throwing the ball to them.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2006, 04:59 PM
I think both receiving cores are good. But I probably give the edge to Texas because they're a little bit more experienced.

I agree....But it seems the important comparisons would be the OU Wideouts vs. The Texas DBs and vice versa...And I do feel we have the advantage there..

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 05:09 PM
We also have Jordan Shipley. Great hands, really fast, great routes. He holds several Texas HS receiving records. He's looked great in practice, but he's missed the last two years due to injuries. We'll see whether he experiences success, or he just ends up being one of the sad stories of "can't miss" players who experienced bad luck throughout their career. Can anyone think of any other players who looked to be sensations, but ended up never playing?

MiccoMacey
4/28/2006, 05:20 PM
We also have Jordan Shipley. Great hands, really fast, great routes. He holds several Texas HS receiving records. He's looked great in practice, but he's missed the last two years due to injuries. We'll see whether he experiences success, or he just ends up being one of the sad stories of "can't miss" players who experienced bad luck throughout their career. Can anyone think of any other players who looked to be sensations, but ended up never playing?

Tony Cade immediately came to my mind. I thought he'd be an All-American by now. I had extremely high hopes for this guy.

BTW, I realize he DID play some (recovered the second-half fumbled kickoff against Texas A&M in 2004), but was extremely un-used.

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 05:29 PM
Texas has the experience edge, Oklahoma has the talent edge. OU will probably have a better QB throwing to em.

CoSooner
4/28/2006, 05:29 PM
Can anyone think of any other players who looked to be sensations, but ended up never playing?

Jejuan Rankins he was a top 10 receivers out of high school (with 2 1000 puls yard seasons), in his 1st year as a started at OU he was great (started all 13 games) with just over 400 yards and 6 TD, but in the years to follow he had around 140 yards and no TDs. I may be wrong but I think he caught the injury bug. He did start and looked to be a sensation, but things never really went his way. It's too bad.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 05:37 PM
Jejuan Rankins he was a top 10 receivers out of high school (with 2 1000 puls yard seasons), in his 1st year as a started at OU he was great (started all 13 games) with just over 400 yards and 6 TD, but in the years to follow he had around 140 yards and no TDs. I may be wrong but I think he caught the injury bug. He did start and looked to be a sensation, but things never really went his way. It's too bad.

There are many players who came out of college all-everything, then ended up never prospering due to injury. Who was that poor Penn St. RB (no 1 pick) who torn up his ACL on his first carry in pre-season?

MiccoMacey
4/28/2006, 05:40 PM
Who was that poor Penn St. RB (no 1 pick) who torn up his ACL on his first carry in pre-season?

Kijuana Carter, but that was in the NFL.

Are you thinking of someone else?

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 05:54 PM

cedric benson? sounds just like him. didn't hold a kajillion rushing records for the state of texas before signing with the whores? how many tds did he score on us in his stint?

tnobis60
4/28/2006, 06:00 PM
I'm trying to remove my orange glasses and answer this honestly, so...

Limas Sweed
Quan Cosby
Billy Pittman
Ramonce Taylor (plays both RB and WR)
Myron Hardy
Jordan Shipley

The first four names have a ton of experience, and especially in big games. The next two are up and coming stars. (well, if shipley ever stayed healthy hew would get alot of PT)

I would not give talent to OU either. I think talent is equal, but Texas has the experience.

however, the OU recievers do have a more experienced QB throwing to them so that helps alot. Let's be honest though, last year, you have to admit that throwing the ball was not Bomar's strong point in some games. He was learning and will bet a lot better this year.

But if you ask me which group would i like on my team, i would chose Texas recieving corps because of the talent and experience.

Duke o Brewery
4/28/2006, 06:58 PM
Sweed, Cosby, and Shipley are at about the same 'talent' level as Kelly, Ingleasias, and Johnson. Pittman and Thompson are about even as well. I'd say the 'talent' aspect is a wash. Advantage: neither. What matters here is WR experience, QB performance and the potential for improvement.

UT's boys are more experienced, except Shipley. Advantage: UT.

Bomar has the most 'talent' of the three QB's, and he has a year of experiencing the nation's toughest schedule and a year of redshirting before that. The tejas QB's have no experience to speak of other than a very slight nod to McCoy's time spent as a reserve on the practice field. QB Advantage: OU.

So my deciding factor... Potential.
Other than Shipley, who may have the single most potential of all the two schools' recievers, OU's corps is younger, more integrated with their QB, and at a school with a better conditioning program.
These and other less-tangible factors lead me to believe that the 'Potential' Advantage goes to OU. Both corps should improve as the season goes on, but OU will improve at a higher rate.

To summerize: Talent: Even, Experience: UT, QB: OU, Potential: OU.

SoonerJLB
4/28/2006, 07:10 PM
I'm trying to remove my orange glasses and answer this honestly, so...

Limas Sweed
Quan Cosby
Billy Pittman
Myron Hardy
Jordan Shipley

The first four names have a ton of experience, and especially in big games. The next two are up and coming stars. (well, if shipley ever stayed healthy hew would get alot of PT)

I would not give talent to OU either. I think talent is equal, but Texas has the experience.

however, the OU recievers do have a more experienced QB throwing to them so that helps alot. Let's be honest though, last year, you have to admit that throwing the ball was not Bomar's strong point in some games. He was learning and will bet a lot better this year.

But if you ask me which group would i like on my team, i would chose Texas recieving corps because of the talent and experience.

I would have to agree with you on most points, but one of the main reasons "Bomar's strong point was not throwing the ball well" thing had a lot to do with the young O-Line's ability to protect Rhett and AD's health. VY wasn't exactly stellar his first few years with the passing "thing" and I think Rhett was way more ahead of him in the passing game as a Rfreshman. Personally, I see Rhett tearing it up and showing some "things" over the upcoming season.

PAW
4/28/2006, 07:10 PM

I thought he was gone?

SoonerJedi
4/28/2006, 10:49 PM

Texas lost David Thomas who was their best receiver. Oklahoma's best receiver ended up being the freshman Malcom Kelly, but a close second was oft injured Travis Wilson. Here's how I would rank the remaining players for this year that you listed.

1. Malcom Kelly (Oklahoma)
2. Billy Pittman (Texas)
3. Limas Sweed (Texas)
4. Manual Johnson (Oklahoma)
5. Jaquin Iglesias (Oklahoma)
6. Quan Cosby (Texas)

However, I think there are several key freshmen and redshirt freshman who probably will end up making their way into the list.

Jordan Shipley (Texas - not a freshman, but like one)
Eric Huggins (Oklahoma)
Jermaine Gresham (Oklahoma)
Phillip Payne (Texas)
Monte Webber (Texas)
Adron Tennell (Oklahoma)

Jello Biafra
4/28/2006, 11:03 PM
none of this matters. the whoren starting qb is going to get tea bagged to the tune of about 8 sacks in the game and will not be able to fart without someone hitting him in the spleen. experienced wr CORPS or not, he will have BIIIIG problems completing many passes.

CHHS_Aggie
4/29/2006, 01:54 AM

Just like to say Shipley has those receiving records because he had Stephen McGee throwing the ball to him. Just my 2 Cents.

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 07:58 AM
Just like to say Shipley has those receiving records because he had Stephen McGee throwing the ball to him. Just my 2 Cents.The option QB that throws like a girl?:rolleyes:

SoonerJedi
4/29/2006, 05:34 PM
I actually think both teams are a lot alike.

Both have big and tall receivers like Limas Sweed(6'5 - Texas) and Malcom Kelly (6'4 - Oklahoma). Both have smaller speed demons like Manuel Johnson (Oklahoma) and Billy Pittman (Texas). Both have a lot of unproven talent waiting in the wings. Oklahoma's reserves have slightly more talent, but Texas' reserves are more seasoned and proven.

I think that Oklahoma will have the better passing game this year, but not because Texas has horrible receivers. But for these reasons:

1) The leading receiver (David Thomas) over the past two years is gone.
2) The starting QB fo the past 2 years is gone.
3) The offensive scheme is changing from a running shotgun, to a more drop back style (ala Chris Sims) after two years of learning the other scheme.
4) The new QB will have never taken a single snap in college (not a particularly great sign).

I predict Texas will rely more on a runningback stlye game and the passing game may suffer a bit, but it won't be because they have bad receivers, just mainly from growing pains.

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 05:48 PM
3) The offensive scheme is changing from a running shotgun, to a more drop back style (ala Chris Sims) after two years of learning the other scheme.
I can't wait for the old Texas system to return. ;)

BASSooner
4/29/2006, 06:30 PM
including another chris simms QB;)