4/28/2006, 02:18 PM
...according to Rivals.

Newbomb Turk
4/28/2006, 02:25 PM
<shakes head>

can't even beat out Tulsa for recruits.

oumartin
4/28/2006, 02:30 PM
maybe capel didnt' put in enuff phone calls.

melbitoast
4/28/2006, 02:30 PM
Okay, seriously....can anything else go wrong with our recruiting??? We had an unbelievable class a month ago, and now we appear to be on the brink of Big 12 obscurity unless Capel can pull off a miracle. WTF?

stoopified
4/28/2006, 03:01 PM
Remember a commitent isn't a binding LOI.Oh thats' right even an LOI isn't binding.

GDC
4/28/2006, 03:11 PM
Guess they had to clear some space for him, or maybe it's a trade.

Tulsa losing two guards
By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
4/28/2006

Deion James and Antonio Hanson will not return to the Tulsa basketball program next year.

The guards are expected to seek transfers and will get help from the Hurricane staff.

"We wish Deion and Antonio success in their futures," said TU coach Doug Wojcik, who guided the team to an 11-17 record in his rookie season. "We will do everything possible to assist them in finding another university where they will have an opportunity to succeed both academically and athletically."

The guards' departure opens two scholarships for 2006-07.

James, a 6-foot-1 Milwaukee native, played in all 28 games last year. The sophomore averaged 3.8 points and dished 2.1 assists per contest last season.

Pressed into the starting lineup following a preseason injury to Rod Earls, James started the first eight games at point guard.

Hanson played in 19 games last year. The 6-2 freshman from Liberal, Kan., averaged 1.5 points and 0.9 assists per game.

TU's has only two players recruited by the former coaching staff -- senior Charles Ramsdell and junior Brett McDade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Bailey 581-8391
[email protected]

crawfish
4/28/2006, 03:17 PM
He was invited to come visit OU, apparently, but decided he didn't want to risk losing out on a Tulsa schollie (he's gotten very close to the coach).

It's not a Capel thing...it's an issue with coming into a completely new situation at the last minute.

PrideTrombone
4/28/2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.mayrig.com/images/ouzo%2012.jpg

King Crimson
4/28/2006, 08:33 PM
Ouzo 12 is the ouzo to buy in the States. the other one made by Metaxa i think is ****. the way greek fishermen drink ouzo is to dilute it a bit with water and an ice cube until it's a bit milky...and that way, one old guy told me, you can drink it all day.

GDC
4/28/2006, 11:12 PM
Ouzo 12 is the ouzo to buy in the States. the other one made by Metaxa i think is ****. the way greek fishermen drink ouzo is to dilute it a bit with water and an ice cube until it's a bit milky...and that way, one old guy told me, you can drink it all day.

My favorite Greek restaurant, the Akropolis in Velburg Germany, serves ouzo with every meal. Takes some getting used to.

The Consumate Showman
4/29/2006, 12:24 AM
Does anyone else here feel that if Joe C would have hired a Mark Few, Skinner, or other "top-brand" coach that we would be having these friggin problems with our team right now??? I have heard other fans talking about the fact that if Joe would have hired a more High Profile coach, the recruits might not be as quick to want to jump ship on us. I don't know what to think about this, but I am willing to give Capel a chance before I start judging him. We MIGHT be in for a couple of long years.....

william_brasky
4/29/2006, 02:31 AM
Does anyone else here feel that if Joe C would have hired a Mark Few, Skinner, or other "top-brand" coach that we would be having these friggin problems with our team right now??? I have heard other fans talking about the fact that if Joe would have hired a more High Profile coach, the recruits might not be as quick to want to jump ship on us. I don't know what to think about this, but I am willing to give Capel a chance before I start judging him. We MIGHT be in for a couple of long years.....

You are probably right.

I have a theory on the defections. Here it goes.

The 3 who de-committed have been receiving opinions from older gentlemen (AAU coaches primarily) who don't think much of Capel.

Why do these "advisors" not like Capel? Maybe it's because he's young. Maybe it's because he's led a pretty charmed basketball life. Maybe they don't think Capel has paid his dues. Maybe it's because they don't know him. Maybe it's because Capel hasn't kissed their asses.

It's all pretty sick if you ask me. AAU coaches, for the most part, are crap. They don't teach the game. They don't develop players. They simply put together All-Star-type teams and tell 'em to go out and play.

That's what I've been led to believe in this deal. I may be wrong.

As for Capel, I'm sold on him as a person and coach. His calmness during this whole thing has been fantastic. Also, if you read reports about the current players and their workouts, they are very excited with what they're doing and learning (apparently, they can't get Longar out of the gym). It'll most likely take some time, but I think in a few years we'll be an extremely solid program, even more so than the KS era.

oumartin
4/29/2006, 08:43 AM
what i find good about capel is that the players have said that they are LEARNING.

lubbocksooner
4/29/2006, 08:46 AM

I do as well but you never know. I also think however that Joe C. did go after those type and was told "Thanks but no thanks". Probably because of our probation status. I think Coach Capel will be a very good coach for us. He just won't have a great year or two due to the hole we are in.

TheBigRedMachine
4/29/2006, 12:21 PM
This is why I am tired of Scottie’s shtick, he needs to hurry up and decide so we can move on if we need to.

SoonerObsession
4/29/2006, 12:47 PM
Looks like Capel might have to raid Intramural teams just to field a freaking practice squad. This really sucks. I feel bad for Capel. He is basicly going to the plate with two strikes against him.

bluedogok
4/29/2006, 11:24 PM
Very good point about the AAU coaches. Most of them are wanna be big time coaches but don't have the skills to be one so they really become nothing more the sports agents for high school players. Attention from college coaches stroke their egos for pimping a high school kid.

If those kids who committed don't want to play at OU fine, the program doesn't need half hearted players taking up scholarships.

stoopified
4/30/2006, 12:27 AM
Very good point about the AAU coaches. Most of them are wanna be big time coaches but don't have the skills to be one so they really become nothing more the sports agents for high school players. Attention from college coaches stroke their egos for pimping a high school kid.

If those kids who committed don't want to play at OU fine, the program doesn't need half hearted players taking up scholarships.True dat.As for the dark cloud which appears to hang over our team now,this too shall pass.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
5/1/2006, 09:11 AM
Looks like Capel might have to raid Intramural teams just to field a freaking practice squad. This really sucks. I feel bad for Capel. He is basicly going to the plate with two strikes against him.

and his bat has a crack.

Brasky's theory makes a lot of sense to me. The AAU coaches who the players have known for some time are going to be a big influence.

This gets REAL tricky now. As aggrevating as this has been from a fans standpoint we don't know if Capel may still have a good shot at Reynolds and/or James in which case he still needs to try to land them.

Uzoh looked like a very good plan B but he is off the board now. So now the question is whether or not it is worth it to use a scholarship on "some guy" at PG who will certainly be at best aq back-up to AJ OR are we better off taking our poison next year with Walker as the likely back-up PG and sit on the scholarship and use it next season on a player that the coaching staff can evaluate over a period of time. We could win 2-3 more games next yeat doing option 1 but option 2 looks like it could be a better idea at this point.

starrca23
5/1/2006, 12:02 PM
AAU coaches are the worst. I coach Girls high school basketball the teams that are good have an AAU "coach" basically a recruiter on staff for the most part. It is getting that way with college ball too. Remember DeJuan Wagner choosing to play for Memphis? His AAU coach (Dad) is an assistant with Memphis. That is how Calipari got his recruiting started. KSU hired Huggins because they knew he was hooked up with the AAU coach for the Miami Tropics and could probably land some huge recruits starting next year.