PDA

View Full Version : Question for the workingout/meathead/nutrion************* types,

royalfan5
4/28/2006, 12:28 PM
if I switched from lifting and running, to running and swiming, whould I be able to maintain muscle mass, or would I need to keep lifting some to maintain? TIA

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 12:30 PM
if I switched from pitching then catching, to catching then pitching, whould I be able to maintain muscle mass, or would I need to keep lifting some to maintain? TIA

Dude, what kind of question is that?

;)

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 12:32 PM
Not a know it all, but I think that you are going to have to incorporate some sort of lifting. The loss would be minimal because you are still exercising, but me thinks that lifting will still be required.

IronSooner
4/28/2006, 12:34 PM
You'll lose some mass depending on how you were lifting. Swimming would be closer to a low weight/high rep type workout. Might help with definition, chiseling off some of the fat, but probably wouldn't build as much.

royalfan5
4/28/2006, 12:35 PM
You'll lose some mass depending on how you were lifting. Swimming would be closer to a low weight/high rep type workout. Might help with definition, chiseling off some of the fat, but probably wouldn't build as much.
I do a high rep work out now. I just don't have the body type to add much more mass than I already have.

Howzit
4/28/2006, 12:38 PM
Depends on what kind of muscle mass you want to maintain, and what your genetics are.

I do a lot of swimming and it tends to keep muscle in my chest and shoulders, but your not going to build big ol' guns swimming because it just doesn't work your biceps the way curls do. Likewise, running keeps muscle on my lower body, but not like doing squats.

It all depends on your expectations.

royalfan5
4/28/2006, 12:41 PM
Depends on what kind of muscle mass you want to maintain, and what your genetics are.

I do a lot of swimming and it tends to keep muscle in my chest and shoulders, but your not going to build big ol' guns swimming because it just doesn't work your biceps the way curls do. Likewise, running keeps muscle on my lower body, but not like doing squats.

It all depends on your expectations.
I'm worried more about general conditioning because I'm just don't have the body type to get that big. I'm 5'11 165, and that is pretty much about as big as I have been able to get. So I thought I would focus on conditioning instead of bulk.

SoonerInKCMO
4/28/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm worried more about general conditioning because I'm just don't have the body type to get that big. I'm 5'11 165, and that is pretty much about as big as I have been able to get. So I thought I would focus on conditioning instead of bulk.

I do a high rep work out now.

If you were trying to add bulk before, you should've gone with a lower rep workout with higher weight.

royalfan5
4/28/2006, 12:46 PM
If you were trying to add bulk before, you should've gone with a lower rep workout with higher weight.
I've done the high weight low rep deal, and where I am at was pretty much my top end, with out chemical help.

Howzit
4/28/2006, 12:57 PM
I'm worried more about general conditioning because I'm just don't have the body type to get that big. I'm 5'11 165, and that is pretty much about as big as I have been able to get. So I thougt I would focus on conditioning instead of bulk.

Heh, sounds like you have the body type I used to wish for. I'm about your height and weigh 195, but that's after years of endurance sport training. I lifted weights for about 10 years before getting into running and triathlon and got up to about 215. Then I spent years doing the endurance training and trying to lose the muscle. I broke 190 last year, but that required giving up beer, and I just don't want it bad enough to do that on a regular basis...

85Sooner
4/28/2006, 12:57 PM
16OZ at a time 200-300 reps daily ought to do it :)

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2006, 01:05 PM
Eat more beans and cornbread.

You'll add some mASS! ;)