PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Football & Sexual Assault?

recemp
4/28/2006, 11:57 AM
In the Chicago Tribune Friday 4/28 an article by David Haugh appears about the Duke Lacrosse deal. Buried in the article...

"Football programs at Colorado, Penn State, Virginia Tech, OKLAHOMA (my caps) and the Naval Academy are among those recently that have dealt with whether to discipline players accused of sexual assault"...

Did I miss something, somewhere?
Haugh missed the Sanchez/USC thing - but after all that is USC. That thing doesn't happen out there. Just ask O.J...

Before I e-mail [email protected] to challenge his facts, I just want to make sure that I don't have my blinders on. I am in Chicago and Oklahoma sexual assaults don't make the news here.

colleyvillesooner
4/28/2006, 12:07 PM
Uh, in the 80's, but not recently that I know of.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/28/2006, 12:08 PM
I'm aware of some ganja, some alcohol, and some stupidity (falling out of trucks, etc). But, I haven't heard of a sexual assault. Then, I'm in Houston.

recemp
4/28/2006, 12:11 PM
That Dusty incident wasn't a lover's spat then? The whole Brokeback Mountain thing is popular in these parts...

soonervegas
4/28/2006, 12:12 PM
I think he is referring to the OU-OSU game last year.

OUGreg723
4/28/2006, 01:12 PM
Demario Pleasant maybe??

He was in trouble for something but then the charges were dropped. right??

OUGreg723
4/28/2006, 01:13 PM
I think he is referring to the OU-OSU game last year.

oh snap!

Scott D
4/28/2006, 01:14 PM
the Pleasant deal is the only thing that comes to mind in recent times, but that was dropped.

recemp
4/28/2006, 01:21 PM
Vaguely remember something with Pleasant (unpleasant?) - but was it enough to put us in this company? I think the Trib guy is just relying on our Nightmare on Elm Street rep.
If he replies, I'll post it. The Trib usually ignores crackpots who point out factual inaccuracy. One year they had three different times for an OU/Texas game in the same edition. I was forced to sit on the couch and watch football ALL DAY.

toast
4/28/2006, 01:22 PM
Uh, in the 80's, but not recently that I know of.

I would guess this is probably it, wasn't the player's name Bernard Hall or something like that?

SoonerJLB
4/28/2006, 01:39 PM
There were 3 players accused with sexual assaulting/rapeing a girl in the late 80's. Around the same time with all the other crap.

recemp
4/28/2006, 01:58 PM
Does the late 80's count as recent?
If we are going back that far what about the Huskers and Phillips? There has to be more between than and now. I don't keep charts on this stuff, but Barry Bonds was still skinny back then.

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 02:15 PM
Some media people think of the 80's as recent when it suits them.

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 03:03 PM
OU hasn't had someone in trouble with sexual assault since the 80's. That is not recent.

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 04:00 PM
Wasn't it the 1988 dopin' and rapin' scandal that messed us up for many years? I just found the story.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE6DE143BF930A15752C1A96F9482 60

2 Sentenced in Rape

November 23, 1989
LEAD: Nigel Clay and Bernard Hall, former members of the University of Oklahoma team, were sentenced yesterday in Norman, Okla., to 10 years in prison for rape. District Judge Preston Trimble also fined the men $10,000 each. Glen Bell, another former Sooner football player, was acquitted of the same charge.

Nigel Clay and Bernard Hall, former members of the University of Oklahoma team, were sentenced yesterday in Norman, Okla., to 10 years in prison for rape. District Judge Preston Trimble also fined the men $10,000 each. Glen Bell, another former Sooner football player, was acquitted of the same charge.

Fred Shaeffer, the lawyer for Hall, sought the minimum punishment of five years in prison. But Judge Trimble decided to follow the recommendation of the jury, which last week convicted the two men of raping an Oklahoma City woman in the athletic dormitory last Jan. 21. Joel Barr, the lawyer for Clay, said he would file an appeal within 10 days. (AP)

GDC
4/28/2006, 04:04 PM
Did Chijioke have some domestic issues?

AzianSooner
4/28/2006, 04:13 PM
what the heck about .. tx...axxss with the flap in the a..ss from Mack things...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2006, 04:38 PM
Pleasants was a domestic dispute, sexual assault....nothing as of late

recemp
4/28/2006, 05:07 PM
To paraphrase - I suppose we have to remember the past so we aren't condemned to repeat it. Stoops, at least gives me the impression of a low tolerance level.
I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for all those kids, but I think that you could recognize potential trouble spots in the recruiting process - and even if the talent offsets the downside, you'd be aware of the potential.
It is just a shame that we are being stained with what happened 18 years ago. Isn't that close to average age of freshman?