PDA

View Full Version : New bowls

Petro-Sooner
4/28/2006, 11:32 AM
Just heard on the radio that they are addding four new bowl game. There are too many the way it is.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/28/2006, 11:42 AM
plus a new bcs game.

SoonerWood
4/28/2006, 11:51 AM
What the...?

Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed one of the at-large slots in a BCS bowl if it is ranked No. 8 or better in the final BCS Standings. It is also guaranteed annual payment for its participation in the BCS. In those seasons in which the Irish play in a BCS game, the school will receive $4.5 million (an amount equivalent that received by a conference that places a second team in a BCS bowl). In those seasons in which Notre Dame does not play in a BCS game, it is projected to be paid $1.3 million for its participation in the BCS arrangement.

Link (http://www.bcsfootball.org/index2.cfm?page=structure)

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2006, 12:02 PM
The whole bowl season is turning into the Special Olympics. EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY, YAY! :rolleyes:

And don't get me started on Notre Dame. :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
4/28/2006, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking the Houston Bowl will bite the dust, they haven't fully paid the teams yet...This may be a replacement bowl...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2006, 12:09 PM
10 years ago- we need to win 7 or 8 games to be considered for a bowl
5 years ago- we need to win 6 games to be considered for a bowl
now- guys lets just get a team together and we are goin bowling

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 12:13 PM
Yawn...more meaningless bowls for mediocre teams.

We can't just leave well enough alone. We have to find a way to reward EVERYBODY.

MamaMia
4/28/2006, 12:22 PM
From what I understand its because the smaller colleges want to be equal with the larger universities.

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 12:26 PM
From what I understand its because the smaller colleges want to be equal with the larger universities.I can understand that to an extent, but damn, that is what happens when you are a smaller college.

Step aside and let the big dogs eat.

tnobis60
4/28/2006, 12:34 PM
From my gambling eyes, i view this as a positive, since there will be more games to bet on. However, on the other hand, it just means another worthless bowl that no one will watch other than people with a gambling problem.

Sooner or later, they will no longer give trophies after the bowls but Gold star stickers to every player on every team and hand out awards liek Most Hustle. this is PC BS

IronSooner
4/28/2006, 12:38 PM
Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed a BCS bowl. It is also guaranteed annual payment for its participation in the BCS.

Fixed.

Ridiculous.

Petro-Sooner
4/28/2006, 12:43 PM
They said that the new locations were going to be I believe in Toronto, Birmingham, New Mexico. What in the world is there to do in New Mexico and why would you want to go to canada?

caphorns
4/28/2006, 12:56 PM
why would you want to go to canada?

Beer, hockey, prescription drugs? What's not to like.

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 01:01 PM
Canadian beer is pretty awesome.

Petro-Sooner
4/28/2006, 01:01 PM
They also have oil. :texan: But as a vacation destination, no thanks.

TexasLidig8r
4/28/2006, 01:02 PM
Perhaps the only way aggy makes it to a bowl game.

caphorns
4/28/2006, 01:06 PM
Perhaps the only way aggy makes it to a bowl game.

Correction - they added this bowl so the ags could have another moral victory by turning it down

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 03:01 PM
Just one question: Is the National Championship still the Fiesta Bowl?

caphorns
4/28/2006, 04:06 PM

This year yes. I believe its the Fiesta +1 game. Meaning it will be played at the Fiesta Bowl site one week after the Fiesta Bowl. Or does this go into effect next year?

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2006, 04:59 PM

No, the Fiesta Bowl will go on as normal and the +1 game will be the BCS Championship Game, played at the Glendale Stadium, which is also site of the Fiesta Bowl.

This is about as confusing as that baseball team in Orange County. :D

okienole3
4/28/2006, 07:39 PM
Canadian beer is pretty awesome.

It's like moonshine.

http://www.corporatesucker.com/images/elyndecksm.jpg

Cam
4/28/2006, 08:15 PM
If I remember correctly, this is actually less than they were getting under the old agreement. If they played in a BCS bowl, they got the whole cut of the ~13Mil that would normally be divided between other conference teams.

Giving them money for not making it is just complete BS. If they're not good enough to play in it, they shouldn't get paid for it.

What the...?

Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed one of the at-large slots in a BCS bowl if it is ranked No. 8 or better in the final BCS Standings. It is also guaranteed annual payment for its participation in the BCS. In those seasons in which the Irish play in a BCS game, the school will receive $4.5 million (an amount equivalent that received by a conference that places a second team in a BCS bowl). In those seasons in which Notre Dame does not play in a BCS game, it is projected to be paid $1.3 million for its participation in the BCS arrangement.

Link (http://www.bcsfootball.org/index2.cfm?page=structure)