PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoman: Wonderlic test no problem for Dvoracek

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 07:08 AM
http://newsok.com/article/1828352/

Wonderlic test no problem for Dvoracek

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - He entered the room tired, anxious and hungry - “starving,” Dusty Dvoracek said. Definitely not the way he would have chosen to prepare for the test.

But 12 minutes and 50 questions later, the former Oklahoma standout emerged, all smiles. He had aced the Wonderlic test. His score - 41 of a possible 50 - was the highest this year among players at the annual NFL Combine in February.

Not that it should have surprised anyone, maybe. The all-Big 12 defensive tackle had already made a pretty smart decision, and passed a tougher test.

Want another smart move?

Dvoracek said he doesn’t plan to watch television coverage of the NFL Draft, which begins Saturday and ends Sunday. Various draft projections have Dvoracek as the 10th-best defensive tackle, which equates to somewhere around the 100th-best player overall. He’s expected to be a third- or fourth-round selection.

So there’s no sense waiting around, fretting over when his name might be called.

“I’ll probably go fishing or something,” Dvoracek said.

At issue is his size and speed. Dvoracek said he believes his past will play a role, as well. He was suspended for the 2004 season after allegations of alcohol-fueled violence, then played in 2005 only after receiving a medical waiver from the NCAA.

But NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt said Dvoracek’s reputation had been rehabilitated.

“I haven’t heard any concern from anybody,” Brandt said. “He’s made a remarkable recovery for a guy that had the problems he did.”

Dvoracek returned from a torn biceps muscle suffered in the 2005 spring game, then put together an all-Big 12 senior season, leading the nation’s interior linemen with 17 tackles for loss and four sacks.

Off the field, he earned academic all-Big 12 honors. Last December, he graduated with a 3.41 grade-point average and a degree in business management.

As you’d expect, Dvoracek has no regrets about his decision to return to OU rather than head for the NFL Draft a year ago.

“Absolutely, it was a good decision,” Dvoracek said. “I had a great year, my favorite year in college. I got to come back and restore my legacy at Oklahoma, got to right the wrong that happened, and at the end of the day I probably made myself a lot of money.”

Here’s what he means. Although Dvoracek’s draft stock isn’t as high as he would like, he believes it’s much higher than it would have been a year ago.

“I’m going to be drafted a lot higher than I would have last year,” he said. “It’s worked out from every standpoint possible. It’s the best decision I could have possibly made.”

What effect Dvoracek’s Wonderlic score might have on his status isn’t certain. Although it is an often-publicized number - remember the buzz when Texas’ Vince Young reportedly scored in the single digits, then retook the test and scored 16? - it is also just one of many factors considered by NFL teams when evaluating prospects.

“I don’t think (the Wonderlic) is a big deal,” ESPN analyst Chris Mortensen said. “You put together a big puzzle on every prospect. It involves the physical, the psychological, behavior - it’s all a piece of the puzzle, and if something in there is alarming, then they’ll dig deeper.”

And it’s also, according to Brandt and Mortensen, much more important for a quarterback than for a defensive tackle. Mortensen laughingly suggested some coaches might wonder if Dvoracek is too smart - with the idea that the best defensive tackle be someone whose credo is: “Me Dusty. Like Meat.”

“If a guy is too smart, they wonder, ‘Is he a football player?’ Does he think too much?” Mortensen said.

Dvoracek laughed, too. Not many who have watched him play, with a face painted in something resembling a poor man’s KISS mask, would be concerned about his intensity.

“I don’t think there’s any question about how I play the game or my intensity, or anything like that,” Dvoracek said. “If anything, I think (the Wonderlic score) will be a good thing.”

Brandt seems to think so, too.

“I don’t think being too smart can ever hurt you,” Brandt said. “All you have to look at is what kind of competitor he is. This guy is one of the great competitors of all time.”

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 07:10 AM
Let's see...an alcoholic Sooner defensive lineman is smarter than a UT quarterback? Cool.

Actually, Dusty was smart enough to turn his life around. Bless him.

sooneron
4/28/2006, 07:40 AM
I am proud that he's a Sooner. And one of the great ones.

Boomer.....
4/28/2006, 07:55 AM
Definitely smart!

GDC
4/28/2006, 08:04 AM
I had seventh graders outscoring VY on just the fifteen question sample test!

Big Red Ron
4/28/2006, 08:08 AM
Dusty can out think Vince and then kick his ***, all before breakfast.

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 08:18 AM
What...how is this possible??? I mean saxeT is a tier 1 school and all.

BWHAHAHAHA

setem
4/28/2006, 09:17 AM
2003 Football Academic All-Big 12 Team

Shawn Farria, Oklahoma Sr. Sociology/Criminology Harrah, Okla.
Pasha Jackson, Oklahoma Sr. Sociology Hayward, Okla.
Kory Klein, Oklahoma Sr. Environmental Design Tulsa, Okla.
Matt McCoy, Oklahoma Sr. Business Management Tulsa, Okla.
Renaldo Works, Oklahoma Sr. Management Information Systems Tulsa, Okla.
Dusty Dvoracek, Oklahoma Jr. Business Management Lake Dallas, Texas
Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma Jr. Sociology/Criminolgy Lawton, Okla.
Travis Wilson, Oklahoma So. University Studies Carrollton, Texas

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 09:22 AM
Saying you are smarter than a whorn is like beating up a blind crippled child.

Now, waxing the azzez of the entire 2006 class, much spek to Dusty!

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 10:13 AM
I have yet to hear an annoucer say,"Thank heavens the Steelers chose a player who scored so high in the Wonderlick."

walkoffsooner
4/28/2006, 10:18 AM
No they won't say that but if two players are pretty much even you take the one that can wipe himself.

XingTheRubicon
4/28/2006, 10:26 AM
I have yet to hear an annoucer say,"Thank heavens the Steelers chose a player who scored so high in the Wonderlick."

You never saw Jeff George play, did you?

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 10:31 AM
You never saw Jeff George play, did you?

Nice arm. Bad attitude.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 10:33 AM
Sooner fans claim that Mack Brown owes everything to VY and that he won the NC single-handedly. If that's the case, any team that doesn't make that player the number-one pick in the draft is crazy.

Funky G
4/28/2006, 10:47 AM
Actually, Mack owes more to the person that took Vince's SAT or ACT test...

boomersooner82
4/28/2006, 10:54 AM
Sooner fans claim that Mack Brown owes everything to VY and that he won the NC single-handedly. If that's the case, any team that doesn't make that player the number-one pick in the draft is crazy.

You're right. Good college athletes always have great pro careers...

... wait...

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 11:34 AM
Sooner fans claim that Mack Brown owes everything to VY and that he won the NC single-handedly. If that's the case, any team that doesn't make that player the number-one pick in the draft is crazy.I guess VY did NOT single handedly take over that game in the 4th quarter :confused:

XingTheRubicon
4/28/2006, 11:40 AM

If the zone read worked in the NFL, he'd get a 50 million dollar signing bonus. However, he's about as accomplished at lining up under center, reading a defense and throwing a laser to a WR with a D-back on his hip as..........oh, let's say Kelly Phelps.

Should be fun to watch.

stoopified
4/28/2006, 02:46 PM
What I think is really funny is Dusty had a higher score at 41 than VY did on his two tests combined(9,16).

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/28/2006, 03:04 PM
me jkm. like foot.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 03:12 PM
If the zone read worked in the NFL, he'd get a 50 million dollar signing bonus. However, he's about as accomplished at lining up under center, reading a defense and throwing a laser to a WR with a D-back on his hip as..........oh, let's say Kelly Phelps.

Should be fun to watch.

He has the quickest release of the threee top QB picks for the draft. He also has the mobility to survive pro rushes. We won't be able to say how he'll do, but if he's been nothing but a sensation at all other levels--no reason to doubt he won't be here. Hey, there are PLENTY of traditional NFL QB's who suck. Maybe it's time for someone to break the mold.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 03:13 PM
You're right. Good college athletes always have great pro careers...

... wait...

That's a fair point. Actually, most of the latest Heisman winners have had fairly mundane pro careers.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 03:17 PM
Dusty can out think Vince and then kick his ***, all before breakfast.

Dusty got himself kicked off the team when they badly needed him. Can someone please explain to me how that makes him the smart one?

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 03:51 PM
Actually, Mack owes more to the person that took Vince's SAT or ACT test...

There is no way that Vince Young got into the Harvard of the South fair and square. Something or someone affected the process in Austin. They have a used car salesman for a coach who made a deal somewhere.

SoonerShark
4/28/2006, 03:54 PM
Dusty got himself kicked off the team when they badly needed him. Can someone please explain to me how that makes him the smart one?

Because he turned his life around at 22. Brilliant men often do foolish things. Great men overcome them.

footballfanatic
4/28/2006, 05:14 PM
Because he turned his life around at 22. Brilliant men often do foolish things. Great men overcome them.

True enough. Churchill presided over the disasterous Gallipoli campaign in WWI, only to rise again and lead the free world to victory 30 years later. Grant was a failure in private life, then led the Union to brilliant victories. Of course, these were real heroes, not spoiled, pampered athletes, but your adage is correct.

Big Red Ron
4/29/2006, 08:24 AM
explain to me how that makes him the smart one?well having the single highest wonderlic score may give you a clue.

picasso
4/29/2006, 09:15 AM
it didn't hurt us losing Josh Heupel or Jason White did it?

Texas returns to the real world this year.

stoopified
4/30/2006, 12:37 AM
it didn't hurt us losing Josh Heupel or Jason White did it?

Texas returns to the real world this year.
Sing it, brother.

DeadSolidPerfect
4/30/2006, 04:41 PM
Grant was a failure in private life, then led the Union to brilliant victories.
Name one Grant lead Union victory that was brilliant.

SoonersEnFuego
4/30/2006, 05:52 PM
Is this a football board or a history board?

Big Red Ron
4/30/2006, 06:01 PM
He has the quickest release of the threee top QB picks for the draft.eh, no. It is common knowledge that Jay Cutler has the "Dan Marino type" release and BY FAR the best arm of the three.

King Crimson
4/30/2006, 06:30 PM
41 is pretty impressive. way to go Dusty.

i love how the horn posters will suck themselves dry in yoga positions to convince the world VY is the NFL shizz.

footballfanatic
4/30/2006, 06:33 PM
Name one Grant lead Union victory that was brilliant.

Vicksburg. Too long to explain it here. An absolutely brilliant victory. Read up on it. Truly a work of art--possibly the most amazing operation of the civil war. (The Southern generals are overrated).

footballfanatic
4/30/2006, 06:37 PM
41 is pretty impressive. way to go Dusty.

i love how the horn posters will suck themselves dry in yoga positions to convince the world VY is the NFL shizz.

We don't have to. The Titans have already made the staement for us.

Big Red Ron
4/30/2006, 06:41 PM
We don't have to. The Titans have already made the staement for us.Just like the Chargers did with Leaf? Let him play, then talk.

footballfanatic
4/30/2006, 06:43 PM
Where are the OU qb's? I've been waiting for 30 years to see one play in the NFL. I'm still waiting.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2006, 06:44 PM
Where are the OU qb's? I've been waiting for 30 years to see one play in the NFL. I'm still waiting.
ahh the tactic change.

footballfanatic
4/30/2006, 06:47 PM
ahh the tactic change.

VY went 38 pics before Dusty. If I were you guys, I wouldn't exactly be playing up the differences between the two players.

SleestakSooner
4/30/2006, 07:00 PM
Will wager that Dusty actually plays in the NFL before Hook 'em VYHook 'em and that he plays in more games total or during a longer time span at least. AD will probably get to play before Hook 'em VYHook 'em does.

King Crimson
4/30/2006, 07:11 PM
VY went 38 pics before Dusty. If I were you guys, I wouldn't exactly be playing up the differences between the two players.

really? except that hornfans like to roll that "Academic" smack....

nice try.

41-6.

Big Red Ron
4/30/2006, 07:20 PM
Where are the OU qb's? I've been waiting for 30 years to see one play in the NFL. I'm still waiting.Idiot.

SleestakSooner
4/30/2006, 07:39 PM

... when did Troy Aikman retire?:texan:

picasso
5/1/2006, 09:55 AM
yes, and UT has such a proud NFL QB history.

perhaps ole fanatic doesn't realize the wishbone isn't run much in the big leagues.