PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera with a battery charger

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/27/2006, 11:13 PM
Anyone know of a good, reasonably priced one? I use a G6 at work, but no way I'm paying that for personal use.

sooner n houston
4/27/2006, 11:16 PM
We love our polaroid. Very reasonable too. Just upgrade the memory so you can store lots of pic's and movies. Very simple to use too.

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 12:01 AM
How much you wanna spend?

The Canon SD 300/400/500 cameras are realy nice and not terribly expensive.

BajaOklahoma
4/28/2006, 02:59 AM
We bought Lil Baja a Canon Powershot A610. Good basic camera. Regular batteries.
I have a Canon Rebel with a charger. I bought two batteries, one of which died after a year (70 bucks). Not so cheap, but a very good, easy to use camera.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/28/2006, 06:47 AM
How much you wanna spend?

The Canon SD 300/400/500 cameras are realy nice and not terribly expensive.Does it have a battery charger? I don't want one that takes regular batteries because they eat batteries so fast.

Newbomb Turk
4/28/2006, 07:00 AM
Does it have a battery charger? I don't want one that takes regular batteries because they eat batteries so fast.

I'm pretty sure these Canons have a rechargable lithium ion battery.

There are hundereds of good digital cameras out there. I'd go somewhere like Best Buy and look at and handle the cameras. You can always shop online and probably get a better deal.

I have an older Canon Powershot. I have been very happy with it. The only thing I'd do differently is get as much optical zoom as possible, and get a camera with a more powerful flash.

OU4LIFE
4/28/2006, 07:36 AM
The Canon S2-IS is sweeeeet. And you simply cannot go wrong with MAHA energy 2300 Mah batteries. Seriously. I have two sets of 4 AA's and they last forEVAR.

check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html for a review.

thank me later.

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 09:10 AM
Does it have a battery charger? I don't want one that takes regular batteries because they eat batteries so fast.

Yes, it's got a charger and a LI-ON battery that lasts a long time. I've
got the SD400, and it's a very nice camera.

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 09:11 AM
Here's a review (also a great resource for digicam stuff)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd400.asp

critical_phil
7/11/2006, 09:55 PM
mrs. critical brought one of these home today:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/images/upload/Image/CES%202006/KODAK/Z650-FrontAngle.jpg

Schneider Kreuznach Variogon (38-380mm equiv.) 10x optical zoom lens
6.0 million effective pixels
Exclusive Kodak Color Science Image Processing Chip
2.0" indoor/outdoor display
High resolution Electronic viewfinder
Manual and semi-automatic controls
High-speed, low-light auto focus
17 scene modes
One-touch simple sharing
MPEG movie recording
i have little idea what most of that means. we'll find out soon if i'm smart enough to figure it out......

Jimminy Crimson
7/11/2006, 10:49 PM
Sony Cybershot DSC-W70 7.2mp

I'm happy with it. It has a charger you put the battery into. I'm more a fan of that than plugging it in.

Buy one, H

Preservation Parcels
7/12/2006, 12:01 AM
We got this one about a month ago, and it's been great. The battery comes with a charger, and a charge lasts more than long enough to fill a 1 GB SD card. The lens is crystal clear, the color is true, and the video works well. I especially like the 12X zoom. After about 2000 pictures and videos, it's my favorite camera ever.

We also have a Canon SD 450 that replaced a Canon Power Shot S 45 that stopped working for no apparent reason in the middle of a trip. Both were adequate in settings where lighting was plentiful. For very little more money, the Panasonic Lumix is so much more camera. The ultra compact SD 450 is handy for sticking in a pocket, but the quality doesn't compare with the Panasonic.

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ7 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1951354,00.asp)

SoonerBorn68
7/12/2006, 12:17 AM
Hey phil, we looked at that camera to buy last week but settled on the Kodak EZshare 750. It's basically the same camera but it's 12X optical zoom & the LCD is a little bigger.

Oh, and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. Mrs. '68 forgot to bring the manual on our Dallas trip.

OCUDad
7/12/2006, 12:28 AM
The Canon S2-IS is sweeeeet. And you simply cannot go wrong with MAHA energy 2300 Mah batteries. Seriously. I have two sets of 4 AA's and they last forEVAR.

thank me later.I'll second that vote. I have a Canon S2-IS. And it takes standard batteries instead of a proprietary battery, which is a huge cost advantage. Not to mention a bunch of other neat stuff about the camera like 12x zoom, which makes it pretty versatile for all kinds of situations.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/12/2006, 12:33 AM
I ended up buying a 5 mpx Canon which I loved. Unfortunately, the lens quit zooming and I couldn't review pictures. Of course I discoverd this on vacation. It is now at the repair shop contracted with Best Buy. They are saying that it is not covered under warranty because it has "trauma" to the lens. They want me to pay $169 to get it fixed. Best Buy is now lookibng into it to determine what their reasoning is because the pictures of my camera they received don't show damage. Grrr.

soonerboomer93
7/12/2006, 01:00 AM
The canon's are nice, but they do have a lense issue which they often try to claim is damage to the lense, you might google search it.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 07:18 AM

thank me later.
hey, is that what you ended up getting? I just bought one of those 2 months ago. i really like it. the only complaint I have is it doesn't focus well when zoomed all the way in. Well, and I wish it was 6 megapixels.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 07:26 AM
hey, is that what you ended up getting? I just bought one of those 2 months ago. i really like it. the only complaint I have is it doesn't focus well when zoomed all the way in. Well, and I wish it was 6 megapixels.
Now that I think of it, I hate the digital viewfinder too. But it takes some awesome pictures. I like the fact that you can flip the LCD screen around to protect it. Also, we went our whole vacation and then some without having to change batteries. We must have taken about 500 pictures, lots of which were with the flash. And this was with my old maha 2100mah batteries. My old nikon burned through 2 of those batteries in about 50 pictures, and it doesn't have the big zoom or a big flash like the canon.

sooner n houston
7/12/2006, 07:26 AM
Hey phil, we looked at that camera to buy last week but settled on the Kodak EZshare 750. It's basically the same camera but it's 12X optical zoom & the LCD is a little bigger.

I have one of these, love it! Got a one gig memory card with it so I can store pics/movies all day! :D

OU4LIFE
7/12/2006, 07:36 AM

Yes, and it's all your fault. I got it based on your recommendations.

I have had zero problems with mine. It's a damn nice camera for the money.

Of course I'd rather have more pixels, but hey.....genetics.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 07:40 AM
I hear it got the top rating in consumer reports last month, if that makes me look more like a genius.

OU4LIFE
7/12/2006, 08:15 AM
it doesn't, it just makes you look more like a slave to consumerism.

consumerist.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 08:32 AM
I think it's more like the market is bending to my will. It's doing what I want and everyone else is just following along.

Howzit
7/12/2006, 08:43 AM
I wish we had bent to your will. Mrs Howzit ran out and bought a Nikon S6 - mainly for the large display :rolleyes:. We took it to Alaska without having used it previsouly, and the pictures are not impressive at all. Most seem blurry.

We aren't camera ****** *******s, so I hope we get better...

OU4LIFE
7/12/2006, 08:57 AM
I wish we had bent to your will. Mrs Howzit ran out and bought a Nikon S6 - mainly for the large display :rolleyes:. We took it to Alaska without having used it previsouly, and the pictures are not impressive at all. Most seem blurry.

*pointing and laughing*

Howzit
7/12/2006, 09:01 AM
*pointing and laughing*

If you weren't so much bigger, younger, tougher, and meaner than me, I would so kick your ***.

Mjcpr
7/12/2006, 09:03 AM

Why do all of your Alaska pictures have a flashing 12:00 on them, grandpa?

Howzit
7/12/2006, 09:08 AM
Why do all of your Alaska pictures have a flashing 12:00 on them, grandpa?

:D

No, a lot of them look a little blurry. I'm hoping it's user error, which is extremely likely.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 09:11 AM

Our old camera is a Nikon and it's always worked pretty good, except that it's a battery hog. The Canon does fairly well on auto, but it's obvious that the best pictures with it occur when you use different settings. I need to get a book or something.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/12/2006, 09:25 AM
Mine is a Canon A530

OU4LIFE
7/12/2006, 09:58 AM
If you weren't so much bigger, younger, tougher, and meaner than me, I would so kick your ***.

if by "bigger, younger, tougher, and meaner" you mean "far away" then I agree.

skycat
7/12/2006, 10:34 AM
If anyone is still in the market for a camera, the buying guide (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp) at dpreview is pretty handy.

I wouldn't sweat things like the difference between 4 Mpixels and 6 or even 8 Mpixels. Unless you're printing bigger than 8x10, you probably aren't going to notice much difference.

Then lens, autofocus speed and in-camera jpg processing are all probably going to mean more to you than a 50% bump in MPixels.

Norm In Norman
7/12/2006, 12:20 PM
The thing about having more megapixels is you can recenter stuff or zoom in more and still have enough info to make a good print.

skycat
7/12/2006, 01:36 PM
Going from 4 to 6 MPixels isn't going to give you a signifigant cropping advantage. You just don't gain much resolution in either linear dimension, which is the dimension you care about. For instance, a 6MP camera will give you an image about 3000x2000 pixels. A 4MP camera will give you something like 2450x1600 pixels. Yes, this gives an advantage, but its often not that much practically speaking.

If you have a couple of digital cameras with different resolutions, try it out. Make prints of same size crops. I'm willing to be that you'll be pretty surprised. I've done it, with a 5 and a 6 MPixel camera, and the difference was small.

The other problem is that, all other things being equal, smaller photosites on a sensor will give you a noiser (grainier) image. Digital Point and Shoots almost all have sensors built to the same standard, rather small, size. So in order to pack more pixels onto them, the individual sensor sites have to become smaller. Which, generally speaking, leads to noisier data.

There's ways to deal with that, in-camera, and in post processing. But that gets back to my previous point that there are other things to consider when buying a camear.

I've probably bored anyone that was trying to read this to tears by now, but what it comes down to is that the importance of megapixels has been exagerated considerably.

OU4LIFE
7/12/2006, 02:10 PM
Going from 4 to 6 MPixels isn't going to give you a signifigant cropping advantage. You just don't gain much resolution in either linear dimension, which is the dimension you care about. For instance, a 6MP camera will give you an image about 3000x2000 pixels. A 4MP camera will give you something like 2450x1600 pixels. Yes, this gives an advantage, but its often not that much practically speaking.

If you have a couple of digital cameras with different resolutions, try it out. Make prints of same size crops. I'm willing to be that you'll be pretty surprised. I've done it, with a 5 and a 6 MPixel camera, and the difference was small.

The other problem is that, all other things being equal, smaller photosites on a sensor will give you a noiser (grainier) image. Digital Point and Shoots almost all have sensors built to the same standard, rather small, size. So in order to pack more pixels onto them, the individual sensor sites have to become smaller. Which, generally speaking, leads to noisier data.

There's ways to deal with that, in-camera, and in post processing. But that gets back to my previous point that there are other things to consider when buying a camear.

I've probably bored anyone that was trying to read this to tears by now, but what it comes down to is that the importance of megapixels has been exagerated considerably.

that was...beautiful.

skycat
7/12/2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I do good work around here. ;)

:O