PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers who throw 100+ mph RMFO

GDC
4/27/2006, 02:41 PM
I just thought it was a good article. I could never hit over 75 or so at the carnival.

Triple-digit terror
By BARRY LEWIS World Sports Writer
4/27/2006

Morillo can throw 100 mph, but has some work to do
Several fastballs from Tulsa Drillers right-hander Juan Morillo caused some Springfield (Mo.) Cardinals fans to do a double-take last Sunday night at Hammons Field.

Morillo was consistently registering 100-plus (mph) on the scoreboard radar gun and one pitch was listed at 103.

To put that in perspective, that's a higher reading than baseball's all-time strikeout king, Nolan Ryan, ever posted. Higher than any active major leaguer has posted on a reputable gun.

As it turned out, the Springfield radar gun may have been 3 to 5 mph fast that night as several pro scouts had Morillo timed at just under 100.

The scoreboard numbers for Morillo were not unbelievable at first glance. Last summer, Morillo was often clocked at 100 mph and a White Sox scout reportedly timed him at 104.

"His arm strength is as good as anyone's in pro baseball," Colorado Rockies assistant general manager Bill Geivett said.

The 99-100 mph mark separates those with excellent velocity from those who are truly flamethrowers.

Morillo, who is next scheduled to pitch on Saturday night against the Frisco RoughRiders at Drillers Stadium, gained the national

media's attention during the early part of Major League Baseball's All-Star Week last July at Detroit's Comerica Park.

He was picked to play in the Futures Game, which features the minor leagues' top prospects.

In the third inning, Morillo was brought in from the bullpen to face Delmon Young, widely regarded as the minors' top hitting prospect. Morillo's first two pitches registered 99 mph. Two pitches later, he retired Young on a weak grounder.

The next batter was Jeremy Hermida, who is currently in the majors with Florida. After five fastballs in the 93-to-98 mph range, Morillo got a strikeout with a slider that made Hermida look helpless.

That was Morillo's first appearance before a national television audience, but likely won't be his last.

He is on the Rockies' 40-man roster after leading their farm system in strikeouts last year.

Through four starts in his first Texas League season, Morillo is 2-1 with a 3.20 ERA.

"His fastball is very good, I just tried to play pepper with it," said Springfield's Cody Haerther after the April 13 game.

However, being able to throw 100 mph is not a guarantee of even reaching the majors, much less being successful there.

Steve Dalkowski, who was in the Baltimore system in the late 1950s and early 1960s, may have been pro baseball's all-time hardest thrower.

Although timing was not as sophisticated during that era, Dalkowski once had a fastball clocked at 105 mph. But wildness kept him from the big leagues.

Kansas City drafted Colt Griffin in the first round in 2001 after he was timed at 101 mph in high school. Control problems, however, have plagued Griffin, who will spend his third season in the TL with Wichita once he rehabs from shoulder surgery.

The key for Morillo and other hard throwers is learning how harness their power.

"He doesn't have to throw 100 mph to get batters out," Drillers pitching coach Bo McLaughlin said. "He can be very effective with his fastball at 94 to 96."

That's a message other coaches and managers have tried to pass on to other flamethrowers throughout baseball history. Sandy Koufax was a mediocre pitcher in his first six seasons with the Dodgers and was on the verge of quitting until a 1961 spring-training game.

After walking three batters on 12 pitches, Koufax's catcher Norm Sherry finally convinced him not to throw so hard. Koufax followed that advice and became a Hall of Famer.

At 22, the message that "less sometimes can be more" appears to have gotten through to Morillo, who led the California League in walks last year with 65 while striking out 101 in 112 innings as he went 6-5 with a 4.41 ERA for Modesto after being promoted from Asheville.

"The main thing I want to do is cut down on my walks," said Morillo, who is 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds. "It doesn't mean anything if I throw 100 (mph) and don't throw a good game. It's better most of the time that I throw 95-96-97 (mph)."

There are situations, however, when being able to reach triple digits can come in handy.

"I don't have to go for strikeouts unless I need one when there's a runner on third base," said Morillo, who has walked 10 and struck out 19 in 19 2/3 innings over four starts. "I want to use fewer pitches so I can stay in games longer. I want to get ahead of hitters and gain confidence. I have to trust my stuff and not overthrow."

When Morillo overthrows he can lose command of his fastball. That can lead to walks and hittable pitches up in the strike zone.

"He's been working on keeping the ball down," Drillers manager Stu Cole said. "I look forward to seeing him get better every time he pitches."

Morillo's slider and changeup are improving.

"His slider has a chance to be his out-pitch," Geivett said. He just needs to be more consistent with it and his changeup."

Drillers executive vice president-general manager Chuck Lamson is excited by Morillo's potential.

"He can be a pitcher like a Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson who can come in with the attitude of challenging hitters with high heat," Lamson said.

"There aren't many who can do that."

Clemens and Johnson have been remarkably durable in their careers and Morillo, who has a smooth delivery, shows that trait. He has not missed a start in six pro seasons.

Morillo's highest radar reading at Drillers Stadium this season has been 99 mph. But don't be surprised if he soon reaches 100 or higher when he needs a strikeout. And Morillo, who is from the Dominican Republic, prefers warm weather.

"When it gets warm and after they have some pitches under their belt, guys' velocity will go up," McLaughlin said. "He's still learning, but there are a lot of possibilities for someone who can throw 100."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Lewis 581-8393
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRINGING THE HEAT
Below are eight of the other hardest-throwing pitchers in the Tulsa Drillers' 30-season history:

Dave Righetti (1978): The 19-year-old lefty fired in the mid-90s (mph) when he set a Texas League single-game record with 21 strikeouts.Was one of the top American League closers from 1984-90 with the Yankees.

Tom Henke (1981-82): The closer for the Drillers' 1982 pennant winners.His 95-97 mph fastball helped him become one of the majors' top relievers from 1985-95.

Dwayne Henry (1983-85): Threw consistently in the 95- to-97 mph range but without much movement.Went 12-14 with 18 saves for Drillers.A journeyman reliever for nine major league seasons.

Mitch Williams (1985): "The Wild Thing" could reach the high-90s at times, but rarely knew where his fastball was going with the Drillers, walking 48 in 33 innings.Had 192 major league saves in 11 seasons but was ineffective after losing his fastball and giving up Joe Carter's World Series-ending homer in '93.

Bobby Witt (1985, '87): The OU product came to the Drillers as a first-round draft choice with a 96-mph fastball that rarely found the strike zone as he went 0-7.Won 142 games in majors after reducing his velocity and learning how to pitch.

Robb Nen (1990-92): Was touted as the next Nolan Ryan when he came to the Drillers. Could reach high 90s (mph) for Drillers and surpassed 100 in the majors. Injuries limited his Drillers action, but was a premier closer in the majors from 1996-2002.

Julio Santana (1994-95): Was 13-6 with Drillers.Can consistently register 96-98 mph. The Phillies right-hander, who was placed on the disabled list Wednesday, is with his seventh major league team in seven seasons.Has a 5.29 career ERA.

Chin-hui Tsao (2003): Went 11-4 and won the TL's ERA title with Drillers.Could reach 96 mph when he needed a strikeout. The majors' first Taiwanese pitcher is on the Colorado Rockies' disabled list and has been plagued by injuries since '03.

TULSA DRILLERS HOMESTAND
When: Thursday through May 3

Where: Drillers Stadium, 15th Street and Yale Avenue.

Times: 7:05 p.m., except 2:05 p.m. Sunday and 12:05 p.m.May 3.

Opponents: Frisco RoughRiders (Thursday- Sunday),Midland RockHounds (May 1-3)

FLAME THROWERS
Major League Baseball does not keep records for pitching velocity, but here are the highest recorded times at that level through 2005, according to Baseball Almanac:

Pitcher Year Speed
Mark Wohlers 1995 103
Armando Benitez 2002 102
Bobby Jenks 2005 102
Robb Nen 1997 102
Randy Johnson 2004 102

walkoffsooner
4/27/2006, 03:30 PM
Batting is timing 85 or 100 mph can be effective. If you throw timing off with change up or late moving fastball if you don't mlb players will feast on you.Triple a will have a good time. Thanks for the article enjoyed it

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/27/2006, 03:41 PM
Good read. Back in my brief minor league stint I had a guy I was in camp with named Tom McKennon (sp?) who was a former 1st round pick. He had several pitches clocked at 99 mph. He also had so many control problems hitting batters that the Cards kept him in extended Spring Training and after a few years turned him into a 1st baseman. We also faced former Yankees minor leaguer Brian Taylor in a Spring Training game. He had been clocked in the upper 90's himself but it was apparent he wasn't going to make it because a bunch of A league guys were ripping him left and right.

I'll have to go watch Morillo. Hopefully the Rockies don't ruin him.

BTW, was clocked at 92 a few times myself but was generally in the 87-88 range. (Big reason why I'm on an internet message board and not out on a golf course somewhere right now)

75 isn't that bad at a carnival though..