PDA

View Full Version : My wife is on the warpath today...

Ike
4/27/2006, 12:34 PM
But this time its not my fault!

That is all.

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 12:36 PM
Stay far away. Avoid eye contact.

TexasLidig8r
4/27/2006, 12:36 PM
Rule No. 1 - 1000. It is ALWAYS the man's fault.

Accept it.. embrace it... GADOCADWI.

Your life will be much, much easier.

Vaevictis
4/27/2006, 12:37 PM
Rule of thumb, anyone?

Ike
4/27/2006, 12:43 PM
Rule No. 1 - 1000. It is ALWAYS the man's fault.

Accept it.. embrace it... GADOCADWI.

Your life will be much, much easier.

Actually, this time, it most certainly is not. In this case it is THE MAN's fault, not this man's. She's already out ruffling the feathers of some pretty important people....

Unfortunately, laying low isn't an option here though. I gotta pick up and knock some heads in lest she think I'm supporting the enemy ;)

without getting into specifics, thats all I will say.

BeetDigger
4/27/2006, 12:49 PM
You can't tantalize us and then drop it. That's like saying you got some great pictures of women at the nude beach and then not showing them to us. We need details or we will bombard the admins and tell them to give you a week on the sidelines, just for principle.

Crimson_Balls
4/27/2006, 12:52 PM
I hear a lot of wives go on warpaths.

It would be wise NOT to get married and hook up with as many single women as possible :D

Ike
4/27/2006, 01:02 PM
You can't tantalize us and then drop it. That's like saying you got some great pictures of women at the nude beach and then not showing them to us. We need details or we will bombard the admins and tell them to give you a week on the sidelines, just for principle.

Alright, here goes. Its really a 3 part issue thats been festering in her mind for some time, and a recent newspaper article jarred all 3 of these issues back into the forefront of her mind, and she decided she would try to actively get some resolution toward them. starting with a letter to the editor. I'll post the letter to the editor verbatim along with the intro to the article that jarred all these back to the front of her mind...But thats just the beginning...She's pretty determined now to get resolution on all 3 of these, and the way she rolls, she voices her complaints straight to the top...she doesn't believe in the notion of a 'chain of command'

Chicago Tribune,
April 27, 2006:
Panel pushes particle machine: Accelerator report leans to Fermilab
In a big boost for Fermilab, a prestigious expert panel on Wednesday recommended that the federal government commit to building a multibillion-dollar particle accelerator on U.S. soil. With Fermilab emerging as this country's only national lab specializing in particle physics, that would make Illinois the facility's natural site, the report suggests. This would bolster the state's aspirations as a technology powerhouse, lift the local economy and resolve the question of Fermilab's future. At present the Tevatron located at Fermilab, near Batavia, is the world's most powerful particle accelerator. Scientists use the machine to create streams of subatomic particles that collide with each other at super-high energies to study fundamental questions of the forces that created the universe.

Letter to the editor regarding the above article:
Lately, I have heard a great deal about Illinois’ “aspirations as a technology powerhouse”. While I applaud the state governments efforts to bring the International Linear Collider to the United States, I wonder if they have considered how to address the difficulties every day life can present in this state for visiting scientists and their families. My husband and I moved here shortly after our wedding almost four years ago so that he could do research for his doctoral thesis. Being an avid reader, one of the first things I tried to do was to get a Library card. Much to my dismay, I don’t qualify for a library card because I live on a plot of land (Fermilab) that is owned by the federal government and therefore doesn’t provide property tax revenue to the state. A librarian told me (without remorse) that I could ‘buy’ a card for an amount that was in the hundreds of dollars. Forget the days when your school class took a field trip to the Library just to get its students borrowing privileges!! My husband is a student. Who gave the state of Illinois the impression that visiting scientists and students could or should pay for a service that was designed at it’s inception to be available to all?

I had just about forgotten this experience when I dared attempt to get an Illinois Drivers License. I couldn’t at first find my birth certificate, so I tried to use my CDIB (Certificate Degree of Indian Blood card issued by the Department of the Interior and the Bureau of Indian Affairs) & Tribal Citizenship cards. I have always used these cards in my home state (one which still has some native American culture) with no problems. When I found that not only could I not use these forms of identification (isn’t it a coincidence that a state that doesn’t claim or treat as citizens those people who live on federal property also doesn’t recognize federally issued identification?) I was insulted in the process. I first tried to speak with someone within the DMV… this didn’t work. I then tried to speak with someone in Secretary of State Jesse White’s office (after all, his name is on the DMV buildings, right?)… This REALLY didn’t work. I was told to speak with my state senator. Having no clue who that person would be, I asked and was referred to one Senator who’s office referred me to another Senator and so on. I ended up with the name of Illinois State Senator Peter J Roskam. I contacted the Senator’s office, and spoke (extensively) with a woman who could not give me any answers. I asked repeatedly why the state of Illinois would deliberately choose not to acknowledge a federally issued document as identification for the purpose of getting a Drivers License. I asked why the State of Illinois would not accept as proof of birth an identification that required not only that I prove my birth to the federal government, but my father’s birth and my grandfather’s birth and my great grandmother’s birth. I was offered no explanation. Then, when I’d given up and found my birth certificate, I got a call from the Senator himself. He left an insulting message on my answering machine that sited 9/11 as the reason he would not include my federally recognized identification on the list of acceptable proof of birth documents.

Next I tried to register to vote. For obvious reasons, I figured that I would express my opinion in the only way left to me. Too bad I'm in a state that doesn't let me do this. For whatever reason, I was registered in Dupage and my husband registered in Kane - both based on recommendations from the registering authority of the DMV. I recently received a letter indicating that I had registered for the wrong county. Forget for a moment the fact that I do actually live in Dupage County. My husband was registered incorrectly in Kane County and when he went to vote in the last Presidential Election, he was turned away. Neither Dupage nor Kane counties seem to recognize us as eligible voters.

I saved the message from that Senator on my answering machine. It serves as a reminder of why I’d rather some other state get the ILC. Chances are my husband will end up wherever high energy physics is being studied, and why would I want to be stuck in a state that doesn’t want nor does it treat me as a citizen? A state that seems to believe that my culture had something to do with the most egregious attacks on the United States in my memory, a state that seems to think I may be a terrorist? So when the politicians of this state go to the federal government with their hands out for a billion dollars, I think it would be appropriate for all of us in the scientific community to wonder: What new indignity will a billion dollars buy us in Illinois?

Sincerely,

Mrs. Ike

walkoffsooner
4/27/2006, 01:03 PM
sounds like a t-ball incident

walkoffsooner
4/27/2006, 01:05 PM
I was wrong we posted a same time

Ike
4/27/2006, 01:06 PM
nah, we dont have kids. but I imagine we will have some of those when we do.

4/27/2006, 01:08 PM
You study high energy physics?

Osce0la
4/27/2006, 01:09 PM
Alright, here goes. Its really a 3 part issue thats been festering in her mind for some time, and a recent newspaper article jarred all 3 of these issues back into the forefront of her mind, and she decided she would try to actively get some resolution toward them. starting with a letter to the editor. I'll post the letter to the editor verbatim along with the intro to the article that jarred all these back to the front of her mind...But thats just the beginning...She's pretty determined now to get resolution on all 3 of these, and the way she rolls, she voices her complaints straight to the top...she doesn't believe in the notion of a 'chain of command'Quote:
Chicago Tribune,
April 27, 2006:
Panel pushes particle machine: Accelerator report leans to Fermilab
In a big boost for Fermilab, a prestigious expert panel on Wednesday recommended that the federal government commit to building a multibillion-dollar particle accelerator on U.S. soil. With Fermilab emerging as this country's only national lab specializing in particle physics, that would make Illinois the facility's natural site, the report suggests. This would bolster the state's aspirations as a technology powerhouse, lift the local economy and resolve the question of Fermilab's future. At present the Tevatron located at Fermilab, near Batavia, is the world's most powerful particle accelerator. Scientists use the machine to create streams of subatomic particles that collide with each other at super-high energies to study fundamental questions of the forces that created the universe.

Letter to the editor regarding the above article:
Lately, I have heard a great deal about Illinois’ “aspirations as a technology powerhouse”. While I applaud the state governments efforts to bring the International Linear Collider to the United States, I wonder if they have considered how to address the difficulties every day life can present in this state for visiting scientists and their families. My husband and I moved here shortly after our wedding almost four years ago so that he could do research for his doctoral thesis. Being an avid reader, one of the first things I tried to do was to get a Library card. Much to my dismay, I don’t qualify for a library card because I live on a plot of land (Fermilab) that is owned by the federal government and therefore doesn’t provide property tax revenue to the state. A librarian told me (without remorse) that I could ‘buy’ a card for an amount that was in the hundreds of dollars. Forget the days when your school class took a field trip to the Library just to get its students borrowing privileges!! My husband is a student. Who gave the state of Illinois the impression that visiting scientists and students could or should pay for a service that was designed at it’s inception to be available to all?

I had just about forgotten this experience when I dared attempt to get an Illinois Drivers License. I couldn’t at first find my birth certificate, so I tried to use my CDIB (Certificate Degree of Indian Blood card issued by the Department of the Interior and the Bureau of Indian Affairs) & Tribal Citizenship cards. I have always used these cards in my home state (one which still has some native American culture) with no problems. When I found that not only could I not use these forms of identification (isn’t it a coincidence that a state that doesn’t claim or treat as citizens those people who live on federal property also doesn’t recognize federally issued identification?) I was insulted in the process. I first tried to speak with someone within the DMV… this didn’t work. I then tried to speak with someone in Secretary of State Jesse White’s office (after all, his name is on the DMV buildings, right?)… This REALLY didn’t work. I was told to speak with my state senator. Having no clue who that person would be, I asked and was referred to one Senator who’s office referred me to another Senator and so on. I ended up with the name of Illinois State Senator Peter J Roskam. I contacted the Senator’s office, and spoke (extensively) with a woman who could not give me any answers. I asked repeatedly why the state of Illinois would deliberately choose not to acknowledge a federally issued document as identification for the purpose of getting a Drivers License. I asked why the State of Illinois would not accept as proof of birth an identification that required not only that I prove my birth to the federal government, but my father’s birth and my grandfather’s birth and my great grandmother’s birth. I was offered no explanation. Then, when I’d given up and found my birth certificate, I got a call from the Senator himself. He left an insulting message on my answering machine that sited 9/11 as the reason he would not include my federally recognized identification on the list of acceptable proof of birth documents.

Next I tried to register to vote. For obvious reasons, I figured that I would express my opinion in the only way left to me. Too bad I'm in a state that doesn't let me do this. For whatever reason, I was registered in Dupage and my husband registered in Kane - both based on recommendations from the registering authority of the DMV. I recently received a letter indicating that I had registered for the wrong county. Forget for a moment the fact that I do actually live in Dupage County. My husband was registered incorrectly in Kane County and when he went to vote in the last Presidential Election, he was turned away. Neither Dupage nor Kane counties seem to recognize us as eligible voters.

I saved the message from that Senator on my answering machine. It serves as a reminder of why I’d rather some other state get the ILC. Chances are my husband will end up wherever high energy physics is being studied, and why would I want to be stuck in a state that doesn’t want nor does it treat me as a citizen? A state that seems to believe that my culture had something to do with the most egregious attacks on the United States in my memory, a state that seems to think I may be a terrorist? So when the politicians of this state go to the federal government with their hands out for a billion dollars, I think it would be appropriate for all of us in the scientific community to wonder: What new indignity will a billion dollars buy us in Illinois?

Sincerely,

Mrs. Ike

Too much reading..someone care to paraphrase?

Ike
4/27/2006, 01:09 PM
You study high energy physics?
yup. I've mentioned that several times on here before.

not that anyone ever reads my posts ;)

IB4OU2
4/27/2006, 01:16 PM
She should impose the ALARA principle when dealing with the idiotic Illinios bureaucrats........maybe they'll put the ILC in Oklahoma. Good Luck to her!

1stTimeCaller
4/27/2006, 01:20 PM
Good for Mrs. Ike. That is absolute BS what they are putting you guys through with all those hoops to jump through.

BeetDigger
4/27/2006, 01:22 PM

Way to go Mrs. Ike. I have had things like this fester with me and I am glad that she takes action. If nothing else, she vents to the people in charge. There is much stupidity in the world. All one has to do is go to a government agency and dig for oh, five minutes,to find it. Not to knock government workers. But the rules that the goverment puts in place for things can be immensely stupid.

NormanPride
4/27/2006, 01:23 PM
Who's Ike?

;) I hope you get to vote soon. I'd give you mine, but... meh. I'm too lazy. :D

Ike
4/27/2006, 01:41 PM
Who's Ike?

;) I hope you get to vote soon. I'd give you mine, but... meh. I'm too lazy. :D

heh. Right now we have been too busy to worry much about straightnening out the registration to vote. Not that it really matters though, with all the dead people voting out here.

If I do actually get to vote, I'd have to get a zombie survival kit first anyways.

Ike
4/27/2006, 01:52 PM
She should impose the ALARA principle when dealing with the idiotic Illinios bureaucrats........maybe they'll put the ILC in Oklahoma. Good Luck to her!

If I hadn't just had to renew my radiological worker training, I'd have no idea what you meant by ALARA....

heh

yes, the bureaucrats here are very much like radiation. time, distance, and shielding. we need more of the shielding.

GottaHavePride
4/27/2006, 02:17 PM
I'd start complaining to the governor's office.

Ike
4/27/2006, 02:25 PM
I'd start complaining to the governor's office.

she's already a step or two ahead of you....;)

MamaMia
4/27/2006, 02:41 PM
I applaud your wife for standing up for what she believes. You should go give her a big hug. :)

Howzit
4/27/2006, 02:55 PM

Yeah, um, I've tried...

1) require that the determinant of the coefficent matrix is non-zero. any choice of beta that does that will make those vectors basis vectors.

2) you can answer the second part first. the dimension must be 3, because that equation is essentially a 3-dimensional "plane" that exists in a 4 dimensional space. therefore, any basis of that subspace must have dimension 3. for the other part, I'd have to look that up...
3)the exact answers aren't obvious, but the short version is this. this matrix projects a 5 dimensional space onto a 4 dimensional space. the kernel has 2 answers then, the null vector, and the nullspace of A. The nullspace of A is the solution space of the set of equations that satisfy A*vec(x)=vec(0)
The image, or range of A is the column space, or the set of vectors spanned by the column vectors of A.
4) let T be the coefficent matrix of the 3 new basis vectors (3 5 1 / 5 3 0 / 0 0 1). The transformation A expressed in this basis is Inv(T)AT.
5) there is exactly 1
6) (1*4*27)-(1*9*8)+(2*9*1)-(2*1*27)+(3*1*8)-(3*4*1)=108-72+18-54+24-12 =12
7)form the coefficent matrix of these vectors, find the determinant. if its nonzero, they are linearly independent
8)Assume A is invertable. Show that this is equivalent to det(A)!=0 (ie, det(Inv(A))=1/det(A) )
then show that this is equivalent to A*vec(x)=vec(0) having only the trivial solution.
then A*vec(x)=vec(0) can be written as x1*vec(c1)+x2*vec(c2)*....xn*vec(cn) = vec(0) if and only if the vectors c1, c2, ... , cn are linearly independent.
9) and 10)
use the equation det(cI-A)=0. If this has a solution, then the matix is diagonalizable. solve this equation for c to determine eigenvalues. to find the eigenvectors, plug each eigenvalue found into the equation (cI-A)vec(x)=vec(0), and solve for the vector x.
once the eigenvalues are found, the diagonal matrix D can be constructed by hand by placing the eigenvalues along the diagonal. the transformation matrix S can be constructed from the inner products of the eigenvectors where S_ij =<v_i|v_j>
I didnt really want to do the math for those last 2.

Ike
4/27/2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah, um, I've tried...

heh.

NormanPride
4/27/2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, um, I've tried...

Dude. The answer is 6. That was easy.

1stTimeCaller
4/27/2006, 03:26 PM
Dude. The answer is 6. That was easy.

well, really the answer is 5.99999999999999999949999999 but I can see where the lay person would round up

Howzit
4/27/2006, 03:31 PM
well, really the answer is 5.99999999999999999949999999 but I can see where the lay person would round up

He was allowing π(bar) to equal unity.

Dumas.

Ike
4/27/2006, 09:50 PM
Ike,
I met Mrs Ike when I first met you and think a cold beer might be in order.

Yes it is Jaux, thanks. We went to the batting cage and let her hit the hell out of some softballs (she's got a pretty good swing too), and that helped lower her blood pressure. Now she's reading on the porch with a cold Killians Red. :)

Sooner_Bob
4/27/2006, 10:10 PM
Too bad Brad Edwards can't be "in her corner" . . . :D

Speaking of CDIB cards I wonder what's taking so freakin' long for the Cherokee Nation to get me my both my daughters?

Ike
4/28/2006, 12:03 AM
Too bad Brad Edwards can't be "in her corner" . . . :D

Speaking of CDIB cards I wonder what's taking so freakin' long for the Cherokee Nation to get me my both my daughters?

My wife tells me that its not uncommon for those to take a long time to arrive. I wouldn't know, Im pure whitey.

All this talk reminded me of another craptasticular feature of living up here.
About a year ago I got pulled over by a statey on I-88 for having a tag on my car that was 1 month expired. Apparently, it's standard practice here for them to physically take your drivers license from you when you get a ticket. From the time you get the ticket to the time you either pay, or appear in court, the ticket is supposed to serve as your ID. :rolleyes:

but thats not even the worst part. The statey told me I could keep my drivers license if I had cash on hand to pay the amount of the ticket ($75) right then and there. This sounded fishy to me, so I handed over my DL. Turns out, this is standard practice here! f**kin nuts! Because you know lots of people will gladly pay the cash if they have it on them to avoid further hassle. It makes me wonder how many of the stops where that does happen wind up with the officer 'forgetting' to file the paperwork and pocketing the cash. I tell ya, the more I learn about this state, the more I miss Oklahoma.

You f'in hillbillies don't realize how good you have it.