PDA

View Full Version : Will Bomar be a leader?

tnobis60
4/27/2006, 11:58 AM
I know Bomar is only a sophmore, but will he step up and lead OU this year. Does he have it in him to be a leader and take a very talented team and make them gell together, make them believe.

AD is AD, he will do what he does best but the team needs a leader, can Bomar fill those shoes?

Collier11
4/27/2006, 12:02 PM
He has to, he is the quarterback at the University of Oklahoma!!! To what extent who knows, hopefully guys like A.D., Kelly, Joe Jon, Messner etc will take some pressure off of him on offense but I think he has to

soonerinabilene
4/27/2006, 12:13 PM
i think he has a better chance of being able to do it now that the ultimate team leader is his positions coach

CincySooner
4/27/2006, 12:13 PM
and thats the million dollar question

MamaMia
4/27/2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, Bomar will be groomed into a great leader.

Partial Qualifier
4/27/2006, 12:41 PM
Seeing what he did as a freshman, most notably what he had to work with all year (OL fiasco, banged up AD, etc.), I have no doubt the kid has what it takes to be a great leader.

KC//CRIMSON
4/27/2006, 12:50 PM
Nah, I think he's just gonna sit on the bench and eat cheesy poofs.

melbitoast
4/27/2006, 12:51 PM
I have full faith he will turn into the leader of this team. He has the fire and passion to will this team to victory. And SOONERINABILENE put it perfectly; our best leader in years is his position coach. If Bomar faulters, Heupel will be there to correct him and mentor him into the player and leader we all hope he can be.
My only concern is that he knows he's the man this year. That's almost a catch-22. He'll be more relaxed on the field without the pressure of losing his job. However, Bomar possesses a bit of arrogance. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue.

Pieces Hit
4/27/2006, 01:10 PM
Hi it's me. :P

He will be a tremendous leader but I fear his scrambling may get him hurt.
Had some very close calls last year.
I thought his freaking leg was broke there once.
All I'm saying is I get nervous a lot when he QB's.
But so do a lot of head coaches.

The Consumate Showman
4/27/2006, 01:25 PM
If he can be the leader, we can go all the way this year and have a Fiesta in January..

101sooner
4/27/2006, 01:29 PM
Another horn questioning our QB's leadership.

Collier11
4/27/2006, 01:29 PM
I am more interested in how Dominant Reggie and Dj can be at corner than how Bomar progresses. I think bomar will be fine, but if our dbacks play well which will be alot easier if we get good pressure, our D could be amazing

Partial Qualifier
4/27/2006, 01:30 PM
Oh and I'm encouraged to know at least one person here recognized the poster's username reference & subsequently applied the obligatory Horn negspekar

:D

walkoffsooner
4/27/2006, 01:35 PM
Hi it's me. :P

He will be a tremendous leader but I fear his scrambling may get him hurt.
Had some very close calls last year.
I thought his freaking leg was broke there once.
All I'm saying is I get nervous a lot when he QB's.
But so do a lot of head coaches.

He seems to get hit solid alot.But he's tough

Collier11
4/27/2006, 01:37 PM
So was Earl Campbell ;)

tnobis60
4/27/2006, 01:52 PM
All I am saying is that the team has to look to someone, and usually, it is the QB. It should be the QB because he has control of the ball and makes all the decisions. If the team doesn't look into the QBs eyes and see a leader, the team will not produce. Look what happened to Simms.

Bomar was not the leader last year, we he step it up this year. I agree that the QB coach will help alot.

Crimson Kid
4/27/2006, 02:10 PM
What freshman is a leader? not that many fros step up as a leader, you just don't become one overnight you know.

He learned alot last year and will use that to grow with, he'll be a leader this year now that the game has slowed down for him.

NickZeppelin
4/27/2006, 02:15 PM
What freshman is a leader?
Jamelle Hollieway in 85, Derrick Strait in 2000, Boz 84, Tommie Harris in 01, Adrian Peterson in 04, DeMond Parker in 96 just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been many more freshmen at OU that have been leaders since 72(when Freshmen were allowed to play)

To answer the first question Bomar should be a leader when all is said and done. We don't know if he can be a leader this year.

101sooner
4/27/2006, 02:19 PM
All I am saying is that the team has to look to someone, and usually, it is the QB. It should be the QB because he has control of the ball and makes all the decisions. If the team doesn't look into the QBs eyes and see a leader, the team will not produce. Look what happened to Simms.

Bomar was not the leader last year, we he step it up this year. I agree that the QB coach will help alot.

****ing whorns. Just shoot me.

101sooner
4/27/2006, 02:25 PM
Jamelle Hollieway in 85, Derrick Strait in 2000, Boz 84, Tommie Harris in 01, Adrian Peterson in 04, DeMond Parker in 96 just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's been many more freshmen at OU that have been leaders since 72(when Freshmen were allowed to play)

To answer the first question Bomar should be a leader when all is said and done. We don't know if he can be a leader this year.

Actually Nick, I think he was a leader last year. I know that he didn't live up to your lofty expectations, but he lead by being tough as nails and playing with as much if not more fire than any Oklahoma freshman QB I've ever seen. According to the coaches, he's been leading by example in the weight room during the off-season.

NickZeppelin
4/27/2006, 02:32 PM
He showed flashes of being a leader. But he also did some dumbass things as a QB that no QB has really done since Stoops has been there. I think next year being an even younger team will be even tougher for Bomar then last year was. I think we need to run the ball to AD as much as possible to take the pressure of Bomar.

KC//CRIMSON
4/27/2006, 02:45 PM
I think you need to put a plastic bag over your head.

AlbqSooner
4/27/2006, 07:17 PM
What freshman is a leader? not that many fros step up as a leader, you just don't become one overnight you know.
True.
When Peyton Manning was a freshman at Tenn, he was 3rd team QB and the team went to I think USC, might have been UCLA very early in the season. The starter was questionable due to an injury and a couple of possessions showed he was not able to do it. The second teamer did okay for a couple of possessions then went out with an injury. Sooooooo - - -

Freshman Manning trots on to the field and into the huddle. He says, "Okay guys we are going to take this ball and we are going to run it and pass it all the way down the field and score."

One of the senior lineman looked at Peyton and said, "STFU and call the play kid."

goingoneight
4/27/2006, 07:24 PM
Between AD, Bomar, Birdine and other exciting guys, (and you all are gonna love GK McCoy if he plays at all like he did in HS, getting the crowd roaring and stuff), I think this team is loaded with inspirational names. Not to mention, Heupel, Stoops, and though I've been harsh on him lately... Brent Venables is an excellent "pump up" coach. We'll be fine, there I believe. The only issue I see is Bomar getting upset when a pass is dropped or something like that. He's just got to shake it off and realize that it ain't over until the fat lady sings, or until the ref screws you out of Lubbock.

sooneron
4/27/2006, 08:20 PM
I think a better question is, How much of a ****stick is Tommy Nobis?

Yep, that's a better question. Just ask his black teammates. oops

SouthFortySooner
4/27/2006, 08:35 PM
He'll be more of a leader than kolt mcsnead.

Crimson Kid
4/27/2006, 08:36 PM
He showed flashes of being a leader. But he also did some dumbass things as a QB that no QB has really done since Stoops has been there. I think next year being an even younger team will be even tougher for Bomar then last year was. I think we need to run the ball to AD as much as possible to take the pressure of Bomar.

I don't see where you get our team is younger? and it needs to be reverse of what you said, bomar needs to be able to complete his pass'es to make it easier for ad to find holes.

Bomar is still green, but you make it out like he's still a fros or something, bomar will improve, it may not be alot, but i don't see him doing as badly as you think nick.

NickZeppelin
4/27/2006, 10:00 PM
There's no way to know how good he'll be this year. I don't if he'll be a leader this year though.

melbitoast
4/28/2006, 12:01 AM
I'm rather new to this site, but after reading several of Nick's posts, he makes me want to slap him and choke him. I think that comment about Nick seeing the glass as.....defective is dead on. If you're right Nick, then you're a freakin' genius. But that would just make me want to break your nose for jinxing us.