PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh! Duke Rape Case Getting More Scurrilous

VeeJay
4/27/2006, 11:56 AM
Broomstick Gate (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/14438495.htm)

If Dad had said they'd used one of those lacrosse stick thingeys, I'd be more prone to believe it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/27/2006, 12:00 PM
If lovin' a broomstick is wrong - Pat don't wanna be right.

critical_phil
4/27/2006, 12:04 PM
back in the navy days, it was always fun to read the weekly morbidity & mortality report.

one fatal incident involved an accidental intraperitoneal rectum impalement by broomstick facilitated by a slippery bathtub.

crazy air force guys......

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 12:04 PM
No DNA and no splinters. This story stinks.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 12:05 PM
If that's true, that's horrible.

OhU1
4/27/2006, 12:06 PM
This whole thing sounds like a rehash of the Twana Brawly case from the 80's. Al Sharpton was pimping for media coverage big time on that old case.

Beano's Fourth Chin
But do you think they really owned a broom? I don't think I did until I was at least 25 or 26.

yermom
sounds more like cops than Lacrosse players ;)

XingTheRubicon
4/27/2006, 12:17 PM
sounds more like cops than Lacrosse players ;)

To be fair to the cops, I think you have to be Haitian to qualify for plunger rape.

Mjcpr
4/27/2006, 12:32 PM
If lovin' a broomstick is wrong - Pat don't wanna be right.

Sorry guys, I was out swabbing the poop deck.

yermom
4/27/2006, 12:33 PM
well, apparently she didn't enjoy it :eek:

Scott D
4/27/2006, 12:34 PM
I'm waiting for Duke to get the lack of institutional control penalty slapped on em.

Crimson_Balls
4/27/2006, 12:37 PM
I'd like to kick some *** after reading that article. That is terrible.

toast
4/27/2006, 12:38 PM
nm

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 12:38 PM
We will never know the truth about the Duke story.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/27/2006, 12:39 PM
Sorry guys, I was out swabbing the poop deck.

Don't wreck that thing - it's my ride home...:eddie:

BigRedJed
4/27/2006, 12:40 PM
(cackle)

Scott D
4/27/2006, 12:40 PM
We will never know the truth about the Duke story.

all you really need to know is that as a result of the party, about half the team is guilty of some sort of probation violation for something they've done illegally since they've been at Duke.

XingTheRubicon
4/27/2006, 01:43 PM
all you really need to know is that as a result of the party, about half the team is guilty of some sort of probation violation for something they've done illegally since they've been at Duke.

I didn't know that's how they determined guilt of the rape of a stripper.

Scott D
4/27/2006, 01:48 PM
I didn't know that's how they determined guilt of the rape of a stripper.

I was sort of making that part of the story irrelevant as most of the attendees would have been illegally drinking, and many of them within the last 18 months has been in some sort of legal trouble while a member of the Duke Lacrosse team.

Okla-homey
4/27/2006, 04:31 PM
So, the accuser is changing her story?

I would think the defense would be able to use that. After all, if she lied about being raped, she may just be lying about this "sex offense w/a broom" part too.

BTW, a broom seems like something that would be rather awkward to employ in that manner in a small, very crowded apartment bathroom against a struggling victim.

I bet she recants very soon now.

Scott D
4/27/2006, 04:32 PM
ahh but barrister, we haven't heard the size of the broom, it could have been one of those diminutive dealies they use to sweep up broken glass. ;)

Okla-homey
4/27/2006, 04:35 PM
ahh but barrister, we haven't heard the size of the broom, it could have been one of those diminutive dealies they use to sweep up broken glass. ;)

I should think anyone contemplating such an offense would choose a standard "according to Hoyle" broomstick. ;)

toast
4/27/2006, 04:37 PM

I can hear the defense now, "If the broom don't fit, you must acquit!."

Crimson_Balls
I don't think anyone would chose a broomstick period.

Maybe a tire iron or a 3-wood.

tulsaoilerfan
Come on, how many college kids own a broom?;)

Scott D
I should think anyone contemplating such an offense would choose a standard "according to Hoyle" broomstick. ;)

I would disagree with that as if someone was going to initiate such an act, they would want an object that would be far easier for a single person to control. a standard broomstick just doesn't provide that control aspect that they would prefer. :)

Okla-homey
4/27/2006, 04:45 PM
I can hear the defense now, "If the broom don't fit, you must acquit!."

precisely.

Even if they don't re-enact it in court, you can bet it will be a topic of discussion in the jury room:

"Just how easy is it to 'do' somebody with a four foot broomstick in a 4X10 bathroom with at least four people in there and a non-compliant, struggling, healthy adult woman subject without tearing up the bathroom and nobody hearing anything?"

I'm thinking that might be enough to induce reasonable doubt in the minds of at least one juror. If so, that equals acquittal.

Pricetag
4/27/2006, 04:52 PM
The father of the accuser in the rape case involving Duke University lacrosse players said his daughter was raped with a broomstick during a party last month, and that explains defense lawyers' claims that no DNA from players was found on her.

The woman's father, appearing on MSNBC's "Rita Cosby Live & Direct" Tuesday night, said his daughter told him that when three team members raped and sodomized her, they also used a broom.
Huh? How would this explain why there was no DNA? They must have used the broom to sweep it away.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
4/27/2006, 06:38 PM
According to a U.S. Department of Justice study, DNA evidence from an attacker is successfully recovered in less than a quarter of sexual assault cases.

[snip]

"DNA is an extremely reliable form of evidence, when it's there," said Rich Rosen, a UNC-Chapel Hill law professor who works with the N.C. Actual Innocence Commission, a group that examines wrongful convictions. "In a lot of cases, there is nothing there, and often we don't know why nothing is there."

Source (www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/427689.html)

Okla-homey
4/27/2006, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=SanDiegoSoonerGal]According to a U.S. Department of Justice study, DNA evidence from an attacker is successfully recovered in less than a quarter of sexual assault cases.

Point 1) That's because sexual assault is a broad crime category. It includes someone who cops a non-consensual feel over clothes. Pretty darn unlikely there would be any DNA evidence from that.

Point 2) "Cases" does not equal "convictions"

How about citing the DoJ statistics on the percentage of sodomy and/or rape convictions which lack DNA evidence.:cool:

lexsooner
4/27/2006, 07:25 PM
I really hate to draw conclusions based upon press releases. The problem is prosecutor Nifong has possible re-election motives, while the rich Dukies and their lawyers are trying the case in the press to prove the defendants are not guilty. It seems a lot of folks are concluding this is another Tawana Brawley incident based upon press releases from the players' lawyers. Before you blame the alleged victim, read the most in-depth analysis of the Duke rape case I have seen:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12442765/site/newsweek/

It's still confusing - there appears to be something to the alleged victim's case, though on the other hand, I still can't conclusively say the Dukies are guilty. Judge for yourself. I would not dismiss her claims just because some of high-powered lawyers' press releases.

Okla-homey
4/27/2006, 11:07 PM
Breaking news appears to indicate the accuser accused three men of raping her ten years ago in 1996 in a small town 15 miles from Durham. They were never charged.

add that to:

Accuser has undergone psychological therapy.

41 people who were in the immediate vicinity of the most recent alleged incident when questioned by the police claim not to have heard nor seen anything.

Accusers fellow stripper denies seeing or hearing anything that would validate the accusers claims.

No physical evidence of a rape.

The alleged perps have pretty solid alibis.

DA stands for re-election this Tuesday.

Now this broomstick story.

IMHO, this is not even going to trial.

soonerbub
4/28/2006, 12:55 AM
I thought that the "rape kit" showed that there was physical evidence of an assault.

Personally I think it did happen and it was as brutal (or worse) as can be imagined. These players are racist pigs and I hope that Duke never fields another lacrosse team and I really hope that this poor girl can recover and
live a decent life. Unfortunately the "old money" will probably win the day as a lot of the evidence is circumstantial.

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2006, 01:06 AM
She should be executed for ruining these guys lives and the Duke lacrosse program.

Pure scum.

OhU1
4/28/2006, 08:08 AM
Like I said, Tawna Brawley all over again. This time everyone is in a fuss because students from Duke are all supposedly "rich white kids". This kind of case makes me wonder if the identity of the accused should be protected pre-trial as well as the alleged victim. The mere accusation of such a crime is enough to stain a person for life.

VeeJay
4/28/2006, 10:12 AM
Strippers are good, honest, hard-working folks, even if their tips are not totally reported to the IRS. I cut 'em slack there.

This lady of the pole should be above reproach. She was working hard at a good, honest, occupation and didn't deserve whatever transgressions came her way from Rich, White America.

Can Jesse and Sharpton be far behind? The voices of reason and integrity are needed.

slickdawg
4/28/2006, 10:14 AM
Once you try black, you'll never go back.

Wonder what the DOOKIES are saying about that old phrase today?

Pricetag
4/28/2006, 12:00 PM
I thought that the "rape kit" showed that there was physical evidence of an assault.

Personally I think it did happen and it was as brutal (or worse) as can be imagined. These players are racist pigs and I hope that Duke never fields another lacrosse team and I really hope that this poor girl can recover and
live a decent life. Unfortunately the "old money" will probably win the day as a lot of the evidence is circumstantial.
Did the players specifically request a black stripper? That's the only way race could be brought into this.

Dio
4/28/2006, 12:36 PM
These players are racist pigs.

And you know this for a fact how?

...a lot of the evidence is circumstantial.

You mean, like your evidence these players are racist?

BigRedJed
4/28/2006, 12:40 PM
...Unfortunately the "old money" will probably win the day as a lot of the evidence is circumstantial.
Actually, a pretty revealing segment on NBC seemed to indicate that most of the circumstantial evidence all but exonerates the two guys first accused. I think the case is built almost entirely on her testimony.

fadada1
4/28/2006, 12:42 PM
back in the navy days, it was always fun to read the weekly morbidity & mortality report.

one fatal incident involved an accidental intraperitoneal rectum impalement by broomstick facilitated by a slippery bathtub.

crazy air force guys......
don't know which navy YOU were in. the one I was in didn't involve broomsticks and butts. all i can say... that was one heck of a liberty port.

Sooner in Tampa
4/28/2006, 12:42 PM
I think this case would not be going to trial if the DA was not running for re-election.

Scott D
4/28/2006, 12:49 PM
To be fair Homey, we'll go on the grounds that her initial rape claim when she was 14 was legitimate, and she underwent psychological councilling, it isn't uncommon for a woman whom has been raped to receive that councilling. It definitely doesn't help to paint a picture of a kook for a relatively 'normal' part of the chain of recovery after a rape/sexual assault.

Okla-homey
4/28/2006, 06:15 PM
To be fair Homey, we'll go on the grounds that her initial rape claim when she was 14 was legitimate, and she underwent psychological councilling, it isn't uncommon for a woman whom has been raped to receive that councilling. It definitely doesn't help to paint a picture of a kook for a relatively 'normal' part of the chain of recovery after a rape/sexual assault.

Scott, all I'm saying is this case is shaping up to be a defense attorney's wet dream. Acquitted don't mean they didn't do it.;)

Scott D
4/28/2006, 09:26 PM
Scott, all I'm saying is this case is shaping up to be a defense attorney's wet dream. Acquitted don't mean they didn't do it.;)

won't matter...Finnerty is going to a nice little pound him in his *** prison as he shoulda had happen to him when he committed his original felony last year. I feel no pity for the 15 other silver spooners who are getting their comeuppance for their various crimes committed over the course of the last year as well.