PDA

View Full Version : What else does USC have to do to be labeled a "national disgrace"

oumartin
4/27/2006, 07:40 AM
I mean, some of the stuff you have read in the past couple days is about what got OU that label back in 89. Do they just need someone to fire off a machine gun? oh, a cocaine bust.

soonerhubs
4/27/2006, 07:41 AM
I mean, some of the stuff you have read in the past couple days is about what got OU that label back in 89. Do they just need someone to fire off a machine gun? oh, a cocaine bust.
Apparently raping someone isn't lack of institutional control. I mean look at their NBA role model... Oh wait!

Desert Sapper
4/27/2006, 07:56 AM
I think they would have to be something other than the national media darlings that they are.

badger
4/27/2006, 10:00 AM
they were never the dynasty OU was -

after all, you have to actually WIN against texas to be one!

XingTheRubicon
4/27/2006, 10:17 AM
Well, if one their star players would have worn a

National
Communists
Against
Athletes

t-shirt at the 2002 Orange Bowl, then they would be getting a 4-3-2 probation in about a half hour from now.

crawfish
4/27/2006, 10:22 AM
Well, it's not like they made too many phone calls or something...

goingoneight
4/27/2006, 07:43 PM
We are a target for excessive phone calls and a legal car dealership contract.

and no one notices anything about guys like OJ Simpson, Eddie Sutton, and the latest by Dirty Sanchez.

That's NCAA for ya, kick OU while they're down, cover the rich when their rep is weakened.

sooneron
4/27/2006, 08:16 PM
It would be nice to watch the NCAA screw the dickheads from troy!

They are whorn ****** nozzles in maroon and yellow.
**** them and their bandwagon fans.

And yet .... nothing will come of the whole reggie - gate. Suddenly, property will be de-valued in his parent's ( lower middle income earners) neighborhood.

Big Red Ron
4/27/2006, 08:49 PM
Well, if one their star players would have worn a

National
Communists
Against
Athletes

t-shirt at the 2002 Orange Bowl, then they would be getting a 4-3-2 probation in about a half hour from now.Didn't Leinhart wear a **** the BCS t-shirt on national television?

TheGodfather889
4/27/2006, 11:29 PM
I know a guy that I graduated high school with that goes to USC. He said after the 2003 season that the team might get in trouble for something since they're recruiting thugs. I'm starting to believe he was right. Me thinks Petey doesn't care about character with his players.

aztecwilliam
4/28/2006, 12:06 AM
Boy, you guys don't seem to like Southern Cal much. I wouldn't have thought that the issue was of such interst to Oklahoma fans.

Let me tell you, though, that in Southern California (the region, not the school) the relations between Bruin fans and Trojan fans are just a notch more cordial than they were between the Romans and the Carthagenians.

Speaking seriously, the problem of athletes getting preferential treatment and light sentences when caught breaking rules and laws is universal and exists at all levels.

homerxsimpson
4/28/2006, 09:57 AM
Speaking seriously, the problem of athletes getting preferential treatment and light sentences when caught breaking rules and laws is universal and exists at all levels.

Yes, but the level of scrutiny, negative media exposure, and subsequent institutional punishment isn't quite so universal.

Supposedly there have been rumurs about Reggie's house deal for months, well before the end of last season, when such allegations would have forced USC to declare him ineligable until the matter was cleared. But low and behold, no reporters bothered to look into it or worse, just sat on what they did know.

Anyone think that the Sooners would have recieved the same considerations?

walkoffsooner
4/28/2006, 10:10 AM
small market VS LARGE MARKET = revenue it always comes down to money or sex

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 03:06 PM
Boy, you guys don't seem to like Southern Cal much.
Where did you get that idea? :D

TheGodfather889
4/28/2006, 04:12 PM
Also,wouldn't you think the Sooners might have some animosity towards the Trojans because they beat them so badly? Because I know I do. Worst game of my life.

aztecwilliam
4/28/2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, but the level of scrutiny, negative media exposure, and subsequent institutional punishment isn't quite so universal.

Supposedly there have been rumurs about Reggie's house deal for months, well before the end of last season, when such allegations would have forced USC to declare him ineligable until the matter was cleared. But low and behold, no reporters bothered to look into it or worse, just sat on what they did know.

Anyone think that the Sooners would have recieved the same considerations?

As I'm sure most participants on this site know, I live in San Diego County. We have recently had the spectable of a war hero and member of the House of Representatives, Randy "Duke" Cunningham, proven to be a big crook. He now resides in a federal big house. The local fishwrap, the San Diego Union/Tribune, just got a Pulitzer Prize for their year long coverage of Duke's misdeeds. They also have a political cartoonist who hardly ever misses a chance to take a shot at President Bush. All this despite the fact that the Union/Trib is basically a conservative paper.

That having been said, I doubt they would have missed a chance to cover this story if they had had an inkling. Especially since Bush is a local boy. (You should have seen him play for Helix High!) I don't remember seeing a word about this before the last few days. Now they are covering the story and one of the sports writers just today wrote an article very critical of the way Reggie is handling this issue.

It's possible some people knew of this last Fall, but, as far as I know, it was not common knowledge. I will query my brother, who is a huge USC fan (even though he went to Long Beach State).

Cam
4/28/2006, 08:07 PM
Didn't Leinhart wear a **** the BCS t-shirt on national television?
Yep.

yermom
4/28/2006, 08:23 PM
i forgot about that

too funny

westcoast_sooner
4/28/2006, 08:37 PM
Bottom line is that no matter what, Reggie Bush will be a huge millionaire soon after he is drafted tomorrow. The kid was talented at the college level and some NFL GMs, Head Coaches and owners are going to pay him a lot of money.

He should have been ineligible for last season. If that had been the case, what would ESPN talked about all season? Whose **** would they have been ****ing?

And, let's hope that this is the tip of the iceberg and this starts USC down the road to "lack of institutional control", probation, etc.

BASSooner
4/28/2006, 08:40 PM
I could barely stand all of the USC media love. ND is going to be far worse..

SCOUT
4/28/2006, 09:52 PM
Once all the games Reggie played in are chagned to losses their run at our win streak won't even be close. :D

MiccoMacey
4/28/2006, 10:57 PM
Once all the games Reggie played in are chagned to losses their run at our win streak won't even be close. :D

Almost makes you wish they had won JUST to see them wail and gnash their teeth to learn that they would have no shot at our streak.

And to beat Texas.

okienole3
4/28/2006, 11:18 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1989/0227_large.jpg

soonercody
4/29/2006, 11:02 AM
P Carroll is looking over his shoulder right now.

Desert Sapper
4/29/2006, 11:33 AM
P Carroll is looking over his shoulder right now.

...at the NCAA giving him a reach-around. :D

bluedogok
4/29/2006, 11:08 PM
Didn't Leinhart wear a **** the BCS t-shirt on national television?Yes he did.......

Also,wouldn't you think the Sooners might have some animosity towards the Trojans because they beat them so badly? Because I know I do. Worst game of my life.Some of us have had a hatred of USC for a long time, the Rose Bowl found that it was stronger than the hate of the Whorns. Although since they have won combined with living in Austin they are about equal now. My hate started September 29, 1973 when they tied 7-7 out in LA. The only blemish on the 73 season.

JohnnyMack
4/29/2006, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking submachine guns in the dorms should pretty much seal their fate.

soonercody
4/30/2006, 08:44 AM
...at the NCAA giving him a reach-around. :D

:D :D :D :D :D :stunned: :stunned: :stunned:

jrsooner
4/30/2006, 09:46 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1989/0227_large.jpgFor some reason I never got the memo that I was supposed to be a afraid of the terrorizing that they were doing there. BUT then again, most of them weren't taking engineering courses either. :)

SoonerInKCMO
4/30/2006, 11:36 AM
For some reason I never got the memo that I was supposed to be a afraid of the terrorizing that they were doing there. BUT then again, most of them weren't taking engineering courses either. :)

I transferred to OU from Rose State in 1989 and my parents got a letter from the university president telling them to not worry about my safety because they had taken care of the problems.

royalfan5
4/30/2006, 11:40 AM
Y'know Pete Carroll and Ron Meyer look a little bit alike.

soonerjoker
5/8/2006, 11:03 AM
bluedog
i can't work up much hate, because of a 7-7 tie.

OUDoc
5/8/2006, 11:17 AM
I transferred to OU from Rose State in 1989 and my parents got a letter from the university president telling them to not worry about my safety because they had taken care of the problems.
I was at OU from '86-'90 and I never got that letter. I want my letter. :mad: Of course, I was never terrorized by the football team either.