PDA

View Full Version : thats a little bit odd...

Ike
4/27/2006, 02:20 AM
So I did a google search on myself today and found an interesting result. If I search for myself using my my really real first name + my last name, The first entry that actually refers to me is at the top of page 2. But if I search for myself as Ike + my last name it's not till page 10 that I am found. This is wierd because not many people ever ever call my by my really real first name. Pretty much everyone knows me as Ike.

odd.

However, it's to be expected though. I do use my really real name on all papers and talks that I present, and of course these are the things that show up on page 2...

I just thought you should know...

And if you are wondering why, its because I am in the process of committing googlcide. I'm trying to purge all references of myself not related to work from comming up in google searches.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 02:44 AM
I read that wired article today.

It's insanely easy to link a message board handle to a real name and address if you sit back and think about how to do it.

We used facebook and myspace to do "background" checks on some babysitter prospects. We were able to rule out some without ever seeing or talking to them. I'm sure prospective employers are doing the same thing.

GDC
4/27/2006, 07:51 AM
Wondered if Ike saw this.

Scientists: Black Holes Energy-Efficient By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer
Tue Apr 25, 5:46 PM ET

WASHINGTON - With gasoline hitting $3 per gallon, scientists have just found the most energy-efficient engines in the universe — black holes, those whirling super-dense centers of galaxies that suck in nearly everything.

The jets of energy spurting out of older ultra-efficient black holes also seem to be playing a crucial role as zoning cops in large galaxies, preventing too many stars from sprouting. That explains why there aren't as many burgeoning galaxies chock full of stars as previously expected, said scientists citing results from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory that were released Monday.

For the first time, scientists measured both the mass of hot gas that is being sucked into nine older black holes and the unseen super-speedy jets of high energy particles spit out, which essentially form a cosmic engine. Then they determined a rate of how efficient these older black hole engines are and were awe-struck.

These black holes are 25 times more efficient than anything man has built, with nuclear power being the most efficient of man-made efforts, said study lead author Steve Allen of Stanford University and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.

"If you could make a car engine that was as efficient as one of these black hole engines you could get about a billion miles per gallon of gas," Allen said. "In anyone's book that would be pretty green."

The galaxies in which these black holes live are bigger than ours, the Milky Way, and 50 million to 400 million light-years away. One light-year is nearly 5.9 trillion miles. The black hole at the center of our galaxy wasn't studied because it wasn't gas-rich and big enough so scientists couldn't measure what was going in and coming out, Allen said.

The results were surprising because the types of black holes studied were older, less powerful and generally considered "boring," scientists said. But they ended up being more efficient than originally thought — possibly as efficient as their younger, brighter and more potent black hole siblings called quasars.

Quasars spit out blinding light so scientists can't measure individual energy efficiency for them, said study co-author Christopher Reynolds of the University of Maryland. But if they could, they'd probably be even more efficient, based on indirect calculations, he said.

One of the ways scientists measured the efficiency of black holes was by looking at the jets of high energy spewed out. Those jets produce bubbles of heat nearby, which tend to keep hot gas from cooling and forming stars in large galaxies.

"The black holes are actually preventing galactic sprawl from taking over the neighborhood," said NASA astrophysicist Kim Weaver. She said there's no harm in too many stars, just a mystery of why these several billion old galaxies aren't loaded with even more stars.

Allen and Weaver said in interviews the unseen hot jets appears to answer the question about what's stopping galaxies from growing too big, he said.

"What this does is give us a step toward understanding why the galaxies in the universe look the way they do," Allen said.

___

Chandra X-ray Observatory: http://chandra.harvard.edu/.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060425/ap_on_sc/black_holes

OUDoc
4/27/2006, 07:59 AM
So, if I can just fit a black hole in my car....

sooner_born_1960
4/27/2006, 08:01 AM
But it would suck all your loose change into it. Net loss.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 08:03 AM

according to John Titor, this will be a powertrain option in 2037...

http://www.anomalies.net/time_travel/john.html

I don't believe all of this john titor stuff, but its an interesting read.

Howzit
4/27/2006, 08:49 AM
according to John Titor, this will be a powertrain option in 2037...

http://www.anomalies.net/time_travel/john.html

I don't believe all of this john titor stuff, but its an interesting read.

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/napoleondynamite.jpg

Ike
4/27/2006, 11:56 AM
Wondered if Ike saw this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060425/ap_on_sc/black_holes
no, I hadn't seen that, and its kinda cool. but thats outside of the realm that I usually follow. I used to always fall asleep in the astro talks because they were just slide after slide of spectra....ugh.

that and the errors on their measurements are never reported, because its just known that they are HUGE.

birddog
5/2/2007, 12:33 AM
here's his website. he's starting to get alot of buzz these days...

john titor, that is. not ike.

http://johntitor.com/

skycat
5/2/2007, 01:05 AM
Apparently, I'm the only me on the Internet. But since they seem to be purging archives of the K-State student paper, there's not much of me out there.

soonerboomer93
5/2/2007, 01:21 AM
I just did a search

I have a very very very common last name, and my first name is pretty common, I didn't see anything in the first few pages, I may dig more later.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2007, 01:57 AM
Apparently, I'm the only me on the Internet. But since they seem to be purging archives of the K-State student paper, there's not much of me out there.
It's easy to find me. I am the ONLY one..truly the only one.

RacerX
5/2/2007, 06:39 AM
There is a God.

crawfish
5/2/2007, 07:35 AM
There are at least fifty people with my name more famous than me. Last time I GIS'd myself, my first mention was on page 22.

landrun
5/2/2007, 07:37 AM
And if you are wondering why, its because I am in the process of committing googlcide. I'm trying to purge all references of myself not related to work from comming up in google searches.

And how would one go about doing this?