PDA

View Full Version : Cox High Speed Internet

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 09:54 PM
Added a new spam guard and now anyone that has Cox is probably missing a lot of email. I know I am.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 09:54 PM
Is this another one of your double entendre threads?

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 09:55 PM
Ironically, the email I got from Cox announcing the changes was sent to my Junk folder.

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 09:56 PM
I didn't get an email about the changes..and i also didn't get an email from my "crew" leader about the partying tomorrow night. that's important stuff.

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 09:57 PM
and no, this is not a double entendre thread..this is a "brat is ticked off" thread

Sooner_Bob
4/26/2006, 09:57 PM
I rarely use that account anyway . . . all the cool people are using Gmail these days.

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 10:00 PM
i have gmail.
i was going to try to salvage my cox addies when i moved, but now.?

except i can't send out a mass email to everyone on my list with my new email addy because it will probably be spamguarded

GottaHavePride
4/26/2006, 10:08 PM
I never get anything from my Cox address anyway.

yermom
4/27/2006, 01:36 AM
ISP email addresses are the succ

Cam
4/27/2006, 04:58 AM
I haven't checked that e-mail account in months. The only thing I've ever gotten in it is spam and I've never used the e-mail address for anything.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/27/2006, 06:39 AM
me either. Now I just give out my OU alumni email addy.

OUDoc
4/27/2006, 08:09 AM
I rarely check any email. Cool people know not to even bother trying to reach me. ;)

Actually, cool people never want to talk to me anyway. :(

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 09:12 AM
i'm still getting the spam with the nonsense subjects...but i'm not getting email from my friends.

this sucks

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:13 AM
you'll probably need to go the webmail route with them adjusting the spam filters for the first few days.

Partial Qualifier
4/27/2006, 09:15 AM
So Cox's old spam filter wouldn't filter jack, and it sounds like their new filter still doesn't filter jack, except for emails you want? Nice.

Skysooner
4/27/2006, 09:16 AM
Mine appears to be working correctly. The only thing in my e-mails the last few days are from friends.

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 09:17 AM
you'll probably need to go the webmail route with them adjusting the spam filters for the first few days.

the email i was looking for isn't even in my webmail. it's out in cyberspace somewhere...

and it will be outdated tomorrow...
i need it today.

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:19 AM
the email i was looking for isn't even in my webmail. it's out in cyberspace somewhere...

and it will be outdated tomorrow...
i need it today.

then I danno what to tell ya lass, other than to have that person send you emails and see if you can tinker with the filters.

OUDoc
4/27/2006, 09:22 AM
Have it filter the "spam" into the "junk" folder, then only check your "junk" folder for good email and delete your inbox. Glad I could help.

Partial Qualifier
4/27/2006, 09:32 AM
Mine appears to be working correctly. The only thing in my e-mails the last few days are from friends.

I should check mine then, I suppose.

I havent checked it in forever because a couple years ago, my wife used the home address to sign up for some mailing lists (d'oh) and it didn't take long for the dreaded "You've got 1700 unread emails" condition to set in. Their spam filter didn't seem to help back then.

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 09:34 AM
Have it filter the "spam" into the "junk" folder, then only check your "junk" folder for good email and delete your inbox. Glad I could help.

the "spam" is being filtered before it ever reaches my inbox

it's not even going to my junk folder.

OUDoc
4/27/2006, 09:35 AM
the "spam" is being filtered before it ever reaches my inbox

it's not even going to my junk folder.
Used to be (with the old spam filter) you could tell it to delete it right away, or put it in a junk folder so you could review it prior to deletion. Maybe that's not an option anymore.

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 09:44 AM
my girl carrie got a little cranky about this

FOR ALL COX USERS OR THOSE WHO EMAIL US WITH COX ACCOUNTS!

I didn't realize this would paste in such big font - but this is a copy of my "live chat" with tech support for your information and possible entertainment and definitely to save you the time and pain and energy of having to go through what I went through - I just thought I'd pass on the message. Feel free to forward this (minus my email address) to anyone you care to. However, this message serves many purposes and is relevant to all, I promise.

(And to my long lost friend Chad who is employed at Cox in a position that may have some influence in this area - I'm sorry darling, but I had to... I can't get things done and I am not happy about it at all!)

1) For those of you that have cox email (and hopefully you recieve and may not be active on the webmail (or even if you are) - you may have noticed that you aren't getting as much email as normal. It seems I'm still getting all of my subscription lists - but very little personal, IMPORTANT email. Cox implemented a FABULOUS new upgrade to their webmail and spam filtering features and now we are no longer recieving most of our regular email... and no, your regular email is not in the webmail spam folder either... it's just hanging out on the cox server in cybespace indefinitely. Apparently this is for all states as well and is not limited to Oklahoma.

2) Obviously those of you that aren't on cox - but SEND email to many of us who are - just thought I'd let you know that we aren't recieving your emails and they don't have an ETA on when they'll release all of our mail off the server so we can be bombarded with out-of-date email.

What really irks me is that I spent all of this time with two different techs for them to tell me, yes Carrie - you were right, your mail is hung up on our server... but instead... the first one tried to tell me I was SOL because they don't support Outlook... Now THAT is customer service 101...

This is the site where you can go to get techinical updates and you should see the below info if you click on this link (but how many of us know to go there, right?) Well - now you know!

http://support.cox.com/sdcxuser/asp/cox_networkstatus.asp?showloc=true

Some customers may be experiencing connectivity issues, missing address books, missing e-mail, missing folders, non compatibility with non IE browsers (Safari, Firefox), non functional links, and difficulty opening and forwarding e-mail on the webmail system. Our technicians are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. Currently, there is no estimated time of repair. 4/26/2006 11:41:15 AM

Online Chat Support:

user Carrie has entered room

We are experiencing higher than usual service times. Please wait and an analyst will be with you shortly.

analyst richard has entered room

richard>
Welcome to Cox High Speed Internet Service Online Technical Support.

richard>
I understand that you are experiencing difficulties in WebMail, is that correct?

Carrie>
no - my home mail

Carrie>
I'm wondering if it has something to do with webmail

Carrie>
because I check my messages at work and since this new browner - I'm losing emails that people have sent... they aren't in either webmail or my outlook

richard>
May I have access to your account information in my system?

Carrie>
yes

richard>
Thank you for the information. This will take me a moment while I look up your account information.

richard>
Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express?

Carrie>
Outlook

richard>
Unfortunately, Cox does not offer support or assistance for the e-mail account in Microsoft Outlook, since we do not have a valid license to support this application, but we support Outlook Express.
(REALLY???? THIS IS YOUR ATTEMPT AT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TECH SUPPORT????)

Carrie> (FOR THE ONE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION....)
if the messages never reached my Outlook - they should still be on the server, shouldn't they?

richard>
Do you have a spam folder in Outlook ?

Carrie>
yes, and they aren't in there either

richard>
Do you have a spam filter program?

Carrie>
I have whatever cox does that flags the subject line with the line --Spam-- and I have created a rule to send anything with that subject line into the spam folder that I created

Carrie>
I'm not the only person that this is happening to either... I mentioned it to someone today who asked about another email I didn't receive - and he mentioned that someone else had told him the same thing - they aren't receiving all of their email

richard>
The problem should be that the option to flag spam is no longer available in Internet Tools and probably there is a conflict .

richard>
I am going to transfer you to a higher level technician. Just one moment, please.

Carrie>
thank you

richard>
However, if Spam Blocker identifies an e-mail as "Spam" but you believe it is not, you can submit this to Cox as well. We will then work with our vendors to ensure that this type of e-mail is not flagged in the future. This is known as a "false positive".
To submit a false positive, send it to '[email protected]'.

Carrie>
I CAN NOT find my messages. They should not be flagged as spam - this is NOT my problem. I am not receiving them AT ALL

Carrie>
They are not in my spam folder in my webmail either

Carrie>
and these are from people in my contacts

Carrie>
I'm sorry - this is just frustrating and I know you are limited with the information you have from me

richard>
Your ticket number is , please write it down so you can use it as reference. In a moment, a higher level technician will continue to assist you with your inquiry. If, for any reason, you are unable to contact the next agent, please call 1-800-234-3993 for assistance with this matter.

analyst Daniel has entered room

richard>
Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

analyst richard has left room

Daniel>
I apologize you are having this problem and would be happy to help you with this. One moment while I look over the notes from the last technician. Thank you for your patience.

Daniel>
I see you are having trouble with your e-mail, is this correct?

Carrie>
yes

Daniel>
I apologize you are having this problem and I would be happy to help you with this. This problem started yesterday, correct?

Carrie>
from what I can tell...

Carrie>
I checked my webmail while at work and since then, my messages are few and far between

Carrie>
and then I've had a couple of people ask me about emails they've sent that I've never received

Daniel>
We are having some troubles with messages being delivered since the Webmail site has been upgraded and the maintenance that is currently going on

Daniel>
These messages are not lost, and should be delivered, as the problems are resolved and the queues start emptying and sending the messages. I do apologize for the inconvenience this causes, and we are doing our best to get this resolved quickly.

Carrie>
Okay, that is what I figured, but it would probably save your techs and people like me a whole lot of time if they were aware of that situation and could communicate that.

Carrie>
I specifically asked if they were on the server since they'd never been in my outlook

Carrie>
after recieving the very helpful response of - we don't support outlook, just outlook express... as in I really don't know what to tell you, but you probably won't get your email

Daniel>
I do apologize for this. Also, we do have a way you can check on your own to find out the status of any of our Internet services, at your Network Status page:

http://support.cox.com/sdcxuser/asp/cox_networkstatus.asp?showloc=true

Daniel>
I am sorry for that, but yes they would be at on the server if they were not downloaded.

Carrie>
do you have a timeline on when we might receive them? I do a lot of work from home and this is a pretty significant problem for me

Daniel>
Unfortunately, there is no estimated time of repair that we have been told at the moment. Just that the technicians are getting these problems resolved as quickly as possible.

Carrie>
does it have anything to do with me using webmail? If I don't use it, will there be the potential for less of a "conflict"

Daniel>
The Webmail site should not change how your mail works as far as Outlook Express or Outlook would be concerned. However, the work being done on Webmail, as well as some problems we have seen over the last day or two, are all done on the server, which is why there is a delay no matter how the mail is checked.

Carrie>
okay, well I guess I just don't have any options then - just sit and wait for my inbox to be blasted with old email? I know it's not your fault, but geez... I've rolled out technology several times and I would hope Cox would be a little less trigger happy and would pilot test better before implementation. This is ridiculous. Product improvement is great - but not if it starts out as chaos.

Carrie>
Thanks for your help - at least I know what the problem is.

Daniel>
I do apologize for the inconvenience, and the updates did undergo much testing before the roll-out, but unfortunately this does not always work the same as when it goes live. You are welcome. Thank you for choosing Cox Communications as your friend in the Digital Age. Have a wonderful evening!

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:50 AM
heh that last part by Daniel is right...you can test the hell out of something, but you'll never get the kind of load testing you need to tweak out the problematic bugs.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 11:07 AM
and no, this is not a double entendre thread..this is a "brat is ticked off" thread

Thanks for telling me. I must have read that first post 20 times trying to see it.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I like that daniel guy but not richard.

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 11:12 AM
Hmmm, the inlaws us Cox for their ISP, I wonder if they know this has happened.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 11:18 AM
Cox is a bit draconian with their email policies. You have to use their smtp for all of your email accounts, even if you have a better one associated with your web domain,etc. This causes some other services to think you're a spammer since your smtp doesn't match your return email.

I don't think I've used the cox email address one time since we signed up.

I'd move to another service like gmail or yahoo or something for personal email. You can use gmail with outlook, apparently.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/ha011488981033.aspx

OUDoc
4/27/2006, 11:18 AM
Hmmm, the inlaws us Cox for their ISP, I wonder if they know this has happened.
You should email them and let them know. :D

NormanPride
4/27/2006, 11:22 AM
d03s thi5 4ff3ct A0L us3rz??!?!!1

Sorry, I don't know where that came from...

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 11:25 AM
why does beano hate me?

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 11:27 AM
why does beano hate me?

Did he see your bush? That should have won him over!

;)

soonerbrat
the only emails i'm concerned about are the ones that friends send out with all the names BCC'd

the only email that i'm actually aware of missing is one that goes out every wednesday to tell us where the party group is meeting.

soonerbrat
Did he see your bush? That should have won him over!

;)

he hates my bush too.

slickdawg
4/27/2006, 11:31 AM
he hates my bush too.

Man, that's just wrong.

God creates something as wonderful and beautiful as your bush,
and he shows his appreciation by hating it.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/27/2006, 11:49 AM
why does beano hate me?

I don't hate you.

I typed up a 35kb email that I sent to you either yesterday or the day before. It was a wonderful tome about the intricacies and wonderments that are Beano's Fourth Chin. I'm sure it will move you to tears and inspire you when you get a chance to read it.

Basically it explains everything. Feel free to share. I'm sure there are others on here that would like to read it as well.

Let me know when you finish.

soonerbrat
4/27/2006, 11:58 AM
Methinks it is forever lost in cyberspace.

oh well.

too bad you didn't keep a copy.