PDA

View Full Version : There's a baby mourning dove

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 07:53 PM
in my yard...it's cold and scared and I have no idea where it came from. Should I just let my cat eat it? Should pick it up and try to save it? If I leave it there, it will be doused with the sprinkler at 3am when the sprinklers come on....

olevetonahill
4/26/2006, 07:56 PM
in my yard...it's cold and scared and I have no idea where it came from. Should I just let my cat eat it? Should pick it up and try to save it? If I leave it there, it will be doused with the sprinkler at 3am when the sprinklers come on....
It cant fly ? then try to save it . I would
Oh and make sure you chew the worms well befor spittin em down its throat :D
Really tho I would try to save it , Im just crazy that way , I like critters more than most people

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 07:58 PM
i like critters too but baby birds have to be fed every 20 minutes or something ridiculous like that. I saved a baby crow last year and took it to a wildlife rescue in norman. I don't know why, i hate crows.

that little fella outside..i don't think i can take care of it but i dn't want it to suffer..

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/26/2006, 08:00 PM
Don't you like your cat? He/she would really like you for the "natural" cat food.

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:02 PM
he just got outside, he'll probably find the bird.

ick. i'd rather it be eaten than suffer though.

olevetonahill
4/26/2006, 08:05 PM
i like critters too but baby birds have to be fed every 20 minutes or something ridiculous like that. I saved a baby crow last year and took it to a wildlife rescue in norman. I don't know why, i hate crows.

that little fella outside..i don't think i can take care of it but i dn't want it to suffer..
Then kill it , then let Kitty have dinner , cause its sufferin now and the Cat will torment it for awhile .
If I lived close enough Id try for you , I have way to much time on my hands :)

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:06 PM
ugh

i can't do it.

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 08:08 PM
let the cat out

4/26/2006, 08:09 PM
Then kill it , then let Kitty have dinner , cause its sufferin now and the Cat will torment it for awhile .
If I lived close enough Id try for you , I have way to much time on my hands :)Kitty might bring the bird to you, so you can see what a clever hunter he is. You will be EVIL if you deprive him of HIS KILL!

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:10 PM
the cat got out. i haven't looked to see if he found the bird or not.

he's always bringing dead things in here. found a dead snake in my bathroom the other day

OUHOMER
4/26/2006, 08:12 PM
i say tie a string to the bird and tease the cat...

Sooner_Bob
4/26/2006, 08:12 PM
You could always use it for bait . . . catfish will eat just about anything. :D

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:14 PM
i say tie a string to the bird and tease the cat...

sick.

slickdawg
4/26/2006, 08:15 PM
Can you use your bush to keep the dove warm and protect it? ;)

MamaMia
4/26/2006, 08:19 PM
Take it to the wild life place.

I thought I told you all to behave while I was gone?

"Tie it to a string?" Good Lord. :rolleyes:

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:20 PM
Mom, the place is way in south norman so i couldn't get it there til tomorrow..i don't think i can keep it alive that long.

4/26/2006, 08:22 PM
Take it to the wild life place.

That would be kitty's mouth.

MamaMia
4/26/2006, 08:26 PM
Mom, the place is way in south norman so i couldn't get it there til tomorrow..i don't think i can keep it alive that long.Do they have a number? If so, then you may be able to have someone come get the bird. :)

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:27 PM
too late. it's gone.

4/26/2006, 08:31 PM
"GONE"???

MamaMia
4/26/2006, 08:35 PM
"GONE"???
If your cat ate the bird or was in contact with it, thats not good. Birds usually carry mites and stuff.

olevetonahill
4/26/2006, 08:43 PM
Now Mom that mite be a bad thing or it mite not ;)

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 08:48 PM
my cat eats birds all the time. he's a bad bad boy.

LilSooner
4/26/2006, 09:13 PM
Hello... AVIAN BIRD FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your cat is going to be the reason we all die of the flu! :)

LilSooner
4/26/2006, 09:16 PM
And by we I mean you because I have my very own isolations gowns, gloves, and N95 particulate respirator masks.

jk the sooner fan
4/26/2006, 09:24 PM
[elton john]THE CIRCLE OF LIFFEEEEEEEEEEE[/elton john]

C&CDean
4/26/2006, 09:31 PM
1. If you see a baby bird laying around in the grass you only have one option.

2. If you own a POS cat, and there's a baby bird laying in your yard you only have one option.

3. If you're a cowardly lion, and you own a POS cat, and there's a baby bird laying in your yard you only have one option.

4. If you love birds, and cats, you only have one option.

The option?

You pick up the little bird, you pull your very best Nolan Ryan imitation, and fire a feathery fastball into the closest brick wall. Then, you toss the dead bird over the fence, and let the POS cat sniff your hands. He'll go nuts.

This is the RIGHT thing to do. Unfortunately, most people are cruel. They'll let the poor, little condemned bird lay out there crying, then let their POS cat out there to slowly torture the poor little bird to death, then let their POS cat carry it under the porch somewhere to rot and stink later, then they'll hug, love on, and feed their POS cat some tuna or something and be all happy and smug with themselves because they're not a cruel person for not killing the baby bird.

The only thing worse than these people is the people who try to "rescue" the poor little baby bird. These people are the Dr. Joseph Mengeles of the world.

Sooner_Bob
4/26/2006, 09:34 PM
1. If you see a baby bird laying around in the grass you only have one option.

2. If you own a POS cat, and there's a baby bird laying in your yard you only have one option.

3. If you're a cowardly lion, and you own a POS cat, and there's a baby bird laying in your yard you only have one option.

4. If you love birds, and cats, you only have one option.

The option?

You pick up the little bird, you pull your very best Nolan Ryan imitation, and fire a feathery fastball into the closest brick wall. Then, you toss the dead bird over the fence, and let the POS cat sniff your hands. He'll go nuts.

This is the RIGHT thing to do. Unfortunately, most people are cruel. They'll let the poor, little condemned bird lay out there crying, then let their POS cat out there to slowly torture the poor little bird to death, then let their POS cat carry it under the porch somewhere to rot and stink later, then they'll hug, love on, and feed their POS cat some tuna or something and be all happy and smug with themselves because they're not a cruel person for not killing the baby bird.

The only thing worse than these people is the people who try to "rescue" the poor little baby bird. These people are the Dr. Joseph Mengeles of the world.

Sheesh, nobody owns a cat . . . :eddie:

Sooner_Bob
4/26/2006, 09:35 PM
And by we I mean you because I have my very own isolations gowns, gloves, and N95 particulate respirator masks.

Ahhh, but did you actually get fit-tested for that there N-95? :D

IB4OU2
4/26/2006, 09:40 PM
Dang, I wished you would of saved it and nourished and raised it to fly away.......so I could try to shoot it Sept. 1st.... Dove Season.....:)

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 09:40 PM
yes, i am a coward. I could not throw the baby bird against the brick wall.

I killed a lot of mice with my hands when I was working in the lab though.

BajaOklahoma
4/26/2006, 09:41 PM
A dove has a nest in the hanging plant by my backdoor. Two eggs in it. We can't water the plant because of the nest, so I have given up on the plant.
The daddy showed up last night - both parents were sitting in the plant.
It's going to be a pain when the babies hatch. We will have to take the dogs out front to do their business so they don't get the babies.

We had three hatch last year.

walkoffsooner
4/26/2006, 09:58 PM
Do doves cry

BajaOklahoma
4/26/2006, 10:01 PM
Coo

soonerbrat
4/26/2006, 10:01 PM
yes, that's why they are called "mourning" doves

IB4OU2
4/26/2006, 10:03 PM
Do doves cry

When I would wing one while hunting sometimes, I would walk over to pick it up and it would Cooo lightly before I popped it's head off......;)

walkoffsooner
What did Prince say about doves I forgot.

C&CDean
A dove has a nest in the hanging plant by my backdoor. Two eggs in it. We can't water the plant because of the nest, so I have given up on the plant.
The daddy showed up last night - both parents were sitting in the plant.
It's going to be a pain when the babies hatch. We will have to take the dogs out front to do their business so they don't get the babies.

We had three hatch last year.

This might possibly be the saddest thing I've ever read.

We get swallows who like to nest under the gooseneck part of my stock trailer. When it's time to move cattle, we back up, and pull the trailer where we need to. I used to think I'd be nice and remove the nest with the eggs or little birds in it over to another trailer and the momma would just pick up where she left off.

Nay.

So now, when it's time to haul cows I just back up, hook up, and go. If the little ****s survive the ride, good on em'. If they don't, that's life. Their momma should have learned by now that she shouldn't nest under the trailer.

What's kind of cool is that a couple babies rode all way from the house to the sale in Ada, and back a few months ago. Momma was waiting for them when I backed the trailer in. When I used to "save them" they always died.

Humans shouldn't try to "save" wild animals. We always **** it up.