PDA

View Full Version : My Basketball Team

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/26/2006, 02:13 PM
In about an hour, my 5th grade girls' basketball team will get their divisional and tournament championship trophies. This is my fourth year coaching this team, and I coach with an LSU grad who is my best friend.

In the four years we've had these kids, they have gone 40-1. They've won three divisional titles, had three undefeated seasons and this year, they won their third straight tournament championship.

Their only loss was against the school's biggest rival. In that game (3rd grade), the opposing team did not make a single field goal. The final score was 11-10, and every point they scored was from the free throw line. But coaches can't complain about officiating, so... Let me just say:

God, I love this team.

leftfield
4/26/2006, 02:18 PM
congrats...have y'all run the picket fence yet?

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/26/2006, 02:30 PM
Nope.

We stick to a half court 1-3-1 trapping zone for three quarters, and then go into a full court trap sometime in the 4th quarter.

Our offense is based on the L.A. Lakers of the 1980's. We play basic pick-and-roll plays in halfcourt and fill lanes on fast breaks.

We may start installing the basics of motion next year, since their (likely) high school team runs a variant of the flex motion.

EDIT: I like to think I'm a good basketball coach, but these kids are special. They get along great on and off the court. That's really hard to find at their age, especially these days with girls' clicques and schtuff.

SoonerInKCMO
4/26/2006, 02:33 PM
Girls?

pfft.

;)

leftfield
4/26/2006, 03:20 PM
so whats the name of the team? its either the crimson tide or the tigers, so which is it?

Jimminy Crimson
4/26/2006, 03:29 PM
...but these kids are special...

As in everyone gets a gold medal special or as in good athletes? ;)

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/27/2006, 05:45 AM
Saint Dominic Golden Eagles, left. School colors are gold and blue. It's a Catholic Youth Organization league with teams from all over the Archdiocese.

Special as in I could bench the starting lineup and the team would still give the second best team in the league four quarters of great basketball.