PDA

View Full Version : Nation's best coaching trees

CoSooner
4/26/2006, 12:47 PM
7. Bob Stoops: My hunch is that Stoops could end up near the top of this list in about two years. He took a lot from two of his mentors (Fry and Steve Spurrier) and that's evident in some of his fledgling former assistants: His brother Mike, Mangino, Leach and Long. Expect another Stoops-Snyder guy, Sooner D-coordinator Brent Venables, to get his own program in the very near future.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=feldman_bruce#20060426)

crawfish
4/26/2006, 12:57 PM
Switzer or Fairbanks should be in there.

TheGodfather889
4/26/2006, 03:53 PM
Nice to see the Sooners get some love!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/26/2006, 04:12 PM
scroll down and look at the QB recruiting stuff...

Harry Beanbag
4/26/2006, 04:39 PM
scroll down and look at the QB recruiting stuff...

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/college/img9393294.jpg

goingoneight
4/26/2006, 09:00 PM
Is it just me, or is he doing the ghey-hand gesture?

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 10:13 PM
McKenzie's staff
Barry Switzer
Galen Hall
Chuck Fairbanks
Larry Lacewell
Homer Rice
Pat James
Leon Cross
Bill Gray

The last 3 didn't become head coaches at the college level but the other 5 were head coaches and the top 4 were very successful head coaches and went on to hire other succesful coaches.

HateTheWhorns
4/27/2006, 12:05 AM
Most of the McKenzie staff were Frank Broyles protoges, including Jimmy Johnson who came a few years later. I think two of the greatest coaching trees in my lifetime lead to Frank Broyles and Hayden Fry. Lord knows that KSU and OU owe much of their success to them. Bill Snyder was coaching at a tiny little school in Sherman, TX (Austin College) when Hayden Fry hired him away to North Texas. Bill followed Hayden to Iowa and the rest is history.

I think if any of us actually went back and traced the number of successful head coaches that either played for these guys or served on their staff, they would be amazed.

NickZeppelin
4/27/2006, 12:11 AM
Johnson wouldn't be a coach here till the next year. It was his first real div 1 coaching job outside of being a GA. Switzer was the same way.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/27/2006, 12:13 AM
Most of the McKenzie staff were Frank Broyles protoges, including Jimmy Johnson who came a few years later. I think two of the greatest coaching trees in my lifetime lead to Frank Broyles and Hayden Fry. Lord knows that KSU and OU owe much of their success to them. Bill Snyder was coaching at a tiny little school in Sherman, TX (Austin College) when Hayden Fry hired him away to North Texas. Bill followed Hayden to Iowa and the rest is history.

I think if any of us actually went back and traced the number of successful head coaches that either played for these guys or served on their staff, they would be amazed.
Among the coaches who worked for Frank Broyles are some big-time giants in the industry. Men like Barry Switzer, Joe Gibbs, Jackie Sherrill, Johnny Majors, Monte Kiffin and Jimmy Johnson. Hayden Fry was also a former Broyles assistant.