PDA

View Full Version : U Nevada pitcher dies from "baseball related" incident

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2006, 11:58 AM
This is not good...hazing? baseball injury? (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193194,00.html)

Condolences to the family...

Rhino
4/26/2006, 12:04 PM
Sheriffs investigate UNR baseball player's death (http://media.www.nevadasagebrush.com/media/storage/paper553/news/2006/04/25/BreakingNews/Sheriffs.Investigate.Unr.Baseball.Players.Death-1876988.shtml?sourcedomain=www.nevadasagebrush.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com)

Becka Higgs, a Nye Hall resident assistant, said Monday that an Argenta Hall resident suffered an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound off campus.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2006, 12:07 PM
Damn...the Fox story didn't mention self-inflicted...

1stTimeCaller
4/26/2006, 01:05 PM
tragic

leftfield
4/26/2006, 03:10 PM
holy crap, thats awful...two of my college teammates(I'm only 30) have died already. One from a drug overdose(in Vegas coincedentally), a nice kid w/some obvious problems and one in a skiing accident. I hate hearing about this kind of stuff.

victory69
5/7/2006, 02:48 PM
many crazy things go in with in a team. players like to go on the edge. sometimes they fall off. this istragic, but it happens at many places. it is usually not this bad.

soonernv
5/17/2006, 02:58 AM
I recently moved to Yukon from Reno. From what I heard this incident was not baseball related at all. I'm surprised they worded it that way.

Steve Masten was very popular among baseball fans in Reno. Being a Nevada kid everyone interested in baseball knew of him and looked forward to his future at UNR. They felt he had huge potential. Almost the Rhett Bomar of UNR Baseball.

This article would almost lead you to believe it was something along the lines of a hazing or perhaps an accident during practice. It was nothing at all like that.

I can only assume that because of his popularity they were trying to be respectful. The second article is more accurate.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/17/2006, 09:43 PM
If you read the original article I posted, it stated that it may have been a baseball related incident, hence the quotes around the title. The first article never mentioned anything about being self-inflicted as shown by my later posting. In fact the first article made it sound as if it was a hazing incident or a baseball injury at play...