PDA

View Full Version : Dating etiquette question for the guys

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 10:03 AM
So we were having this conversation at work yesterday about dating. Is it okay these days for a girl to ask a guy out? Call them on the phone? I'll admit, it's been a few years since I've been on a date - so I don't have a clue. Back in my day, a girl would never ever call a guy and/or ask him out. We wanted to be pursued, not the other way around. Plus - you were labeled a "ho." So how do you guys feel about it? I'm not talking female stalkers - just females being the aggressive ones. Do you still want to be the ones doing the pursuing? Just curious if things have really changed that much. Do aggressive females scare the bejesus out of you?

1stTimeCaller
4/26/2006, 10:05 AM
I am all for that. I like agressive chicks.

IB4OU2
4/26/2006, 10:05 AM
I like the old way. I'd rather not have my wife answer the phone.........;)

critical_phil
4/26/2006, 10:09 AM
is she hawt?

Whizbang
4/26/2006, 10:12 AM
So here's the thing.........

Guys normally have to pursue girlies. And girls always (for the most part) play that "hard to get" game. Often times, that "hard to get" business leaves a guy disheveled and he can't quite read what the heck is going on. Now 9 times out of 10, he'll never show it & never talk about it, but it's driving him nuts.

What is awesome for the guy, is that if you ARE interested, if you let him know. An occasional call out of the blue, asking him if he wants to get get a drink or dinner, or whatever....... It gives him a boost of confidence where there was once confusion & ambiguity.

I personally like it, as long as you don't take it overboard.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 10:14 AM
Haven't they been doing this for years now?

OUinFLA
4/26/2006, 10:15 AM
What's wrong with overboard?
Some of my fondest memories are water related.

IronSooner
4/26/2006, 10:15 AM
I had a girl casually ask me if I wanted to get ice cream with her in undergrad. Not entirely sure it was a date, but it put the idea in my head to start asking her out to stuff.

You still have to make the guy do the lion's share of the work, but asking him to do stuff periodically shows interest on your part and is helpful and encouraging. No problems with it here.

Stanley1
4/26/2006, 10:16 AM
Nothing wrong with a chick calling a dude.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/26/2006, 10:20 AM
I had a girl casually ask me if I wanted to get ice cream with her in undergrad. Not entirely sure it was a date, but it put the idea in my head to start asking her out to stuff.

You still have to make the guy do the lion's share of the work, but asking him to do stuff periodically shows interest on your part and is helpful and encouraging. No problems with it here. :confused: Is this hawt married chick?

fadada1
4/26/2006, 10:22 AM
my current GF asked if i wanted to "make out" on our second date.

notice she is my CURRENT girlfriend... and for good reason. didn't mind the directness at all.

IronSooner
4/26/2006, 10:23 AM
:confused: Is this hawt married chick?

Nope. This is younger intellectual art chick. I hadn't really thought about her all that much I don't think until that, then started asking her out to stuff and we hung out a pretty decent amount that spring/summer.

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 10:24 AM
What's wrong with overboard?
Some of my fondest memories are water related.

So your into watersports? Me too!

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 10:25 AM
Well unless we want to roll back the clocks to where women couldn't vote, and had to stay home, I don't see why they shouldn't ask someone out if they are interested.

mdklatt
4/26/2006, 10:25 AM
Is it okay these days for a girl to ask a guy out? Call them on the phone?

Yes it's okay, and it's about damn time. Why should we have to do all the work?

crawfish
4/26/2006, 10:28 AM
It's only ok if she pays, too.

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 10:29 AM
It's only ok if she pays, too. She should at least offer to pay.

If a girl asks me out, I still would feel wierd if she paid for everything.

crawfish
4/26/2006, 10:30 AM
She should at least offer to pay.

I'd feel weird if she thought I owed her sex or something.

GottaHavePride
4/26/2006, 10:31 AM
So here's the thing.........

Guys normally have to pursue girlies. And girls always (for the most part) play that "hard to get" game. Often times, that "hard to get" business leaves a guy disheveled and he can't quite read what the heck is going on. Now 9 times out of 10, he'll never show it & never talk about it, but it's driving him nuts.

What is awesome for the guy, is that if you ARE interested, if you let him know. An occasional call out of the blue, asking him if he wants to get get a drink or dinner, or whatever....... It gives him a boost of confidence where there was once confusion & ambiguity.

I personally like it, as long as you don't take it overboard.

Yeah, what Whizbang said.

GDC
4/26/2006, 10:32 AM
It's perfectly okay for a gal to ask a guy out. It has been since the 60s.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 10:33 AM
She should at least offer to pay.

She should at least have to give up something for the privelege.

IB4OU2
4/26/2006, 10:35 AM

Self esteem?

crawfish
4/26/2006, 10:41 AM

She probably had to give something up to ask in the first place. :texan:

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 10:42 AM
I love it when women ask me out. Frankly, the whole "who pays" question is really unneccessary. My favorite kinds of dates are when they invite me to their place. I can bring over some groceries and whip up a nice dinner while they're watching the evening news.

After dinner they can watch a basketball or baseball game while I wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen. After I'm finished (I might straighten up the rest of their place a bit while I'm there, or fold some of their laundry or something), I'll bring them a beer and give them a shoulder rub for a bit. Then I sit down next to them, putting my head on their shoulders and gazing adoringly at them while they finish watching the game. Yep, I love agressive women.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/26/2006, 10:46 AM
I love it when women ask me out. Frankly, the whole "who pays" question is really unneccessary. My favorite kinds of dates are when they invite me to their place. I can bring over some groceries and whip up a nice dinner while they're watching the evening news.

After dinner they can watch a basketball or baseball game while I wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen. After I'm finished (I might straighten up the rest of their place a bit while I'm there, or fold some of their laundry or something), I'll bring them a beer and give them a shoulder rub for a bit. Then I sit down next to them, putting my head on their shoulders and gazing adoringly at them while they finish watching the game. Yep, I love agressive women.

Hey Jed. How about coming to my place for dinner tonight?

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 10:47 AM
Uh, sarcasm?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/26/2006, 10:48 AM
Here is what I don't get. I have asked guys out before and instead of just saying "no thanks," if they aren't interested, they say they are busy or whatever. I know women do the same thing, but it's frustrating.

Bottom line, games in dating are bullsh1t. I don't have time for that anymore.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/26/2006, 10:49 AM
Uh, sarcasm?:O Oh I was just trying to be aggressive. Guess it didn't work.

crawfish
4/26/2006, 10:50 AM
Here is what I don't get. I have asked guys out before and instead of just saying "no thanks," if they aren't interested, they say they are busy or whatever. I know women do the same thing, but it's frustrating.

Bottom line, games in dating are bullsh1t. I don't have time for that anymore.

BTW, I've gotta wash my hair that night. Sorry.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 10:52 AM
BTW, I've gotta wash my hair that night. Sorry.

When did you get some hair?

:confused:

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 11:13 AM
When did you get some hair?

:confused:

He got some from 4Life. Apparently he had some extra.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 11:15 AM
Oh come on now - it hasn't been that long!!:rolleyes:

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 11:22 AM
I was thinking - maybe another reason girls don't feel comfortable asking a guy out might be the rejection part of it. Something the guys have always had to deal with. I would feel so bad to ask some guy out and have them say "no" or worse than that " um, I'd love to, but I'm going to be busy for the next three years - but give me a call after that." Not a good feeling.

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 11:23 AM
Oh come on now - it hasn't been that long!!:rolleyes:

No... it's been that long. :P

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 11:25 AM
I was thinking - maybe another reason girls don't feel comfortable asking a guy out might be the rejection part of it. Something the guys have always had to deal with. I would feel so bad to ask some guy out and have them say "no" or worse than that " um, I'd love to, but I'm going to be busy for the next three years - but give me a call after that." Not a good feeling.

Heh, this is what has always amused me about a lot of the feminist crowd. They want all the benefits with none of the responsibility.

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 11:27 AM
in her defense man she was born in the 20's

royalfan5
4/26/2006, 11:31 AM
I am a big fan of directness on the chicks part, mostly because I am lazy and oblivious when it comes to this kind of stuff. I hate wasting a time pursuing someone that plays hard to get, and I tend to go off on tangents on dates and in conversations, so it usually works best if the lady just jumps in my lap and shoves her tounge down my throat to get me to shut the hell up, and make out with her, or else I will probably keep going on my tangent indefinately, and she will end up frustrated.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 11:31 AM
in her defense man she was born in the 20's
put a sock in it Dolemite:mad:

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 11:33 AM
YOU OLD ...WHAT? i MEAN YOU POSTED A PICTURE THAT LOOKED LIKE IT CAME FROM THE FIRST COLOR CAMERA

Herr Scholz
4/26/2006, 11:36 AM
There's nothing wrong with being a ho anyway.

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 11:39 AM
I like ho's.... **** i got ho's ...I got ho;'s in differant area codes

BeetDigger
4/26/2006, 11:40 AM
There's nothing wrong with being a ho anyway.

Ho. No

Whorn. Yes Hook 'em

SoonerInKCMO
4/26/2006, 11:40 AM

Boo-****ing-hoo.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/26/2006, 11:43 AM
Heh, this is what has always amused me about a lot of the feminist crowd. They want all the benefits with none of the responsibility.

I think it's cute how they celebrate the female by trying to be more like men.

Cat lovers don't celebrate felinism by trying to get them to act more like dogs.

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 11:43 AM
Boo-****ing-hoo.
yeah ...what they ****.....lol...my whole life is a sad sads tale of rejection:(

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/26/2006, 11:47 AM
YOU OLD ...WHAT? i MEAN YOU POSTED A PICTURE THAT LOOKED LIKE IT CAME FROM THE FIRST COLOR CAMERA

Maybe she stopped aging in the 70s, though. You think of that?

Maybe the reason there aren't any new photos is because she turned into vampire in the 70s and now she can't have a picture taken. She probably looks exactly the same, though.

TexasLidig8r
[Dean]"No self respectin' woman is gonna ever ask menfolk out on a date. That jes goes agin the natural order of things. Wominfolk need to know their place in this here world.. that is. fixin' my vittles, keepin' the house clean and puttin' out for me when ever I want. If she wants to call and go out on a date, well, she better be prepared for a smackdown like sexual hammer on her cuz that's obviously what she's lookin' for."[Dean]

It just had to be said.

OhU1
As you can see it depends on who you ask. I am not fond of aggresive chicks. At least give me the illusion I had a choice in directing the matter. I want to be the one to ask.

Frankly, it's pretty easy to let a guy know you're interested. He will know. Nothing wrong with being obvious in letting him know either. A former co-worker gal asked me if I wanted to meet for a beer and shoot the breeze. That worked well as far as I was concerned. It wasn't really like asking me out on a date but let me know it could turn into one if that's what I wanted.

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 11:50 AM

Maybe the reason there aren't any new photos is because she turned into vampire in the 70s and now she can't have a picture taken. She probably looks exactly the same, though.

Like.. she did in.. The Hunger??

http://www.nationmaster.com/wikimir/images/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8e/180px-CatherineDeneuve.jpg

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 11:51 AM

oh there are new photos - you just gotta be smart enough to track em down.

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 11:53 AM

This could be the case...But I think not. Deductive reasoning leads me to these thoughts for a few reasons.

Reason A)

SBIB wont tell anyone her age. This leads me to belive she is very old and does not want people to know this. If she had stop aging she would just lie like all vampires and tell us the age we think she looks.

Reason B )

If she can't have a picture taken she needs to be worring about other things besides dating etiquette.

Reason C )

She is Old

In conclusion

I dont know why she does not tell her age. Its not like we are going to quit talking to her. I mean **** we still talk to HOWZIT.

Scott D
4/26/2006, 11:58 AM
you are something else doleo....I'm not sure what exactly, but you are definitely something else.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 12:00 PM
you are something else doleo....I'm not sure what exactly, but you are definitely something else.

Rude?

Soonerbabeinbama
4/26/2006, 12:00 PM
This could be the case...But I think not. Deductive reasoning leads me to these thoughts for a few reasons.

Reason A)

SBIB wont tell anyone her age. This leads me to belive she is very old and does not want people to know this. If she had stop aging she would just lie like all vampires and tell us the age we think she looks.

Reason B )

If she can't have a picture taken she needs to be worring about other things besides dating etiquette.

Reason C )

She is Old

In conclusion

I dont know why she does not tell her age. Its not like we are going to quit talking to her. I mean **** we still talk to HOWZIT.
get over it

Scott D
4/26/2006, 12:02 PM
Rude?

well descriptively 'Rude, about as tactful as a bull in a china shop, (per yermom) a source of vile natural gasses, and just flat out strange' ;)

dolemitesooner
4/26/2006, 12:07 PM
get over it
I love you :)

Viking Kitten
4/26/2006, 12:15 PM
Aiight. Here's Auntie VK's take on the issue. The dude should call the chick. End of discussion.

Ladies... if a dude is interested, he'll call. If he's not calling you, it's because he's not interested. It's not because "he's too afraid." Or maybe he is, but in that case, he's a huge p***y and don't want him anyway. Move on.

Does anyone actually think a few hippies gettin' their freak on in the sixties is actually going to have an impact on 40,000 years of human evolution?

mdklatt
4/26/2006, 12:17 PM
it usually works best if the lady just jumps in my lap and shoves her tounge down my throat to get me to shut the hell up, and make out with her, or else I will probably keep going on my tangent indefinately, and she will end up frustrated

What he said. :texan:

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 12:29 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Viking Kitten again.

IB4OU2
4/26/2006, 12:34 PM
Aiight. Here's Auntie VK's take on the issue. The dude should call the chick. End of discussion.

Ladies... if a dude is interested, he'll call. If he's not calling you, it's because he's not interested. It's not because "he's too afraid." Or maybe he is, but in that case, he's a huge p***y and don't want him anyway. Move on.

Does anyone actually think a few hippies gettin' their freak on in the sixties is actually going to have an impact on 40,000 years of human evolution?

What? Dropping that window pane clearly impacted our evolution..... 40K years and beyond. :D...;)

49r
4/26/2006, 01:52 PM
Chicks, man...

:rolleyes:

slickdawg
4/26/2006, 01:55 PM
So we were having this conversation at work yesterday about dating. Is it okay these days for a girl to ask a guy out? Call them on the phone? I'll admit, it's been a few years since I've been on a date - so I don't have a clue. Back in my day, a girl would never ever call a guy and/or ask him out. We wanted to be pursued, not the other way around. Plus - you were labeled a "ho." So how do you guys feel about it? I'm not talking female stalkers - just females being the aggressive ones. Do you still want to be the ones doing the pursuing? Just curious if things have really changed that much. Do aggressive females scare the bejesus out of you?

Well, I never got officially asked out by a chick, but it would be ok with me,
and I wouldn't label her a ho, as it tells me that she is interested in me.

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 02:07 PM

So I take it you stay at home making babies while Czar provides for you? After all, thats how evolution intended womens role to be. You just can't argue with 40,000 years of evolution!

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 02:09 PM
So I take it you stay at home making babies while Czar provides for you? After all, thats how evolution intended womens role to be. You just can't argue with 40,000 years of evolution!

Where's that smiley with the popcorn?

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/26/2006, 02:09 PM

Making a livin' is different than makin' some lovin'...

:twinkies:

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 02:12 PM
Well I was trying to make the point that you really shouldn't expect to have it both ways.

Fugue
4/26/2006, 02:13 PM
Well I was trying to make the point that you really shouldn't expect to have it both ways.

the lovin'?

IBTL

Viking Kitten
4/26/2006, 02:17 PM

Who do you think was out gathering wood for the fire while Cave Dude hunted the bison, fella? You gonna eat that bison raw?

Oh yeah... and what BSG said.

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/26/2006, 02:19 PM
Some dudes just can't get past the "she wants me" thing. So, when "she" asks him out, "he" thinks she wants the date to end in the sack. In fact, quite a few of'em think she wants the whole relationship to end in the sack, on that first date.

NTTAWWT, of course.

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 02:19 PM
Who do you think was out gathering wood for the fire while Cave Dude hunted the bison, fella? You gonna eat that bison raw?

mmmmmmmmmmm... bison tartar....

OU Adonis
4/26/2006, 02:22 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm... bison tartar....

I wonder if they had Ranch dressing back then?

Jimminy Crimson
4/26/2006, 03:03 PM
Making a livin' is different than makin' some lovin'...

:twinkies:

If you can make a livin' out of makin' some lovin', you're set! :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/26/2006, 03:05 PM
Ok fine, but don't effing say you are going to call and then don't.

BeetDigger
4/26/2006, 03:07 PM
If you can make a livin' out of makin' some lovin', you're set! :D

Richard Gere did in American Gigolo.

SoonerInKCMO
4/26/2006, 03:40 PM
Ok fine, but don't effing say you are going to call and then don't.

MWAHAHAHWHAHWHA!!!! I do that all the time!!!! :texan:

Okay... not really.