PDA

View Full Version : OKC Millwood

Boomhauer
4/26/2006, 09:51 AM
Hey guys and gals....

Rumor is here in Claremore that we hired Millwood's head football coach. Does anyone know anything about him....what offense he runs....how his program has been at Millwood...did you like him...not like him.

Thanks!!!

picasso
4/26/2006, 09:53 AM
sorry but he can't bring his talent with him.

Big Red Ron
4/26/2006, 09:54 AM
Culture shock anyone?

picasso
4/26/2006, 09:54 AM
if Benny Ballard can't get it done there. nobody can.;)

Boomhauer
4/26/2006, 10:01 AM
if Benny Ballard can't get it done there. nobody can.;)

Speaking of Benny Ballard...I just talked to his wife. She is the librarian at my school. She is a Hominy girl...I am a Cleveland guy....but we get along!!!

Collier11
4/26/2006, 10:47 AM
Im from watonga and Millwood used to be in our district in football, the guy is a hell of a coach when he has talent, we played them when they had all the woods' brothers and elbert craig etc(and never lost to them). He runs kind of a sprint option type offense if I remember right, he is good at putting athletes where they need to be on the field

Boomhauer
4/26/2006, 11:01 AM
Im from watonga and Millwood used to be in our district in football, the guy is a hell of a coach when he has talent, we played them when they had all the woods' brothers and elbert craig etc(and never lost to them). He runs kind of a sprint option type offense if I remember right, he is good at putting athletes where they need to be on the field

Thanks Collier. That is what we need. We have athletes (not like Millwood) but they seem to be out of position. Hopefully he can come in here and generate some excitement that was lost in the past few years.

PDXsooner
4/26/2006, 11:06 AM
i remember playing millwood in hoops in 1988-89 and their frontline was brian hopgood at 6'10" 260 (who went on to play at louisville) and joey mickey at 6'7" 250 who went on to play tight end for OU and the dallas cowboys...

Landthief 1972
4/26/2006, 01:16 PM
Did Millwood ever fix that cow pasture of a football field? We played against them there in '89 and half the team came away with bruised/sprained ankles - it had rained earlier in the week, they practiced on the field, and then all those footprints dried hard as a rock, about 3-6 inches deep. It was ridiculous.

DeadSolidPerfect
4/26/2006, 06:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think this is the same coach who had the Woods brothers. Who ever the new coach at Claremore is he needs to get the kids to come out. Numbers have been low the last couple of years and they have no depth.

The Preach Man
4/26/2006, 06:41 PM
Claremore sucks. GO MUSTANGS!!!!!

LOL all in good humor man. j/k

Collier11
4/26/2006, 07:39 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think this is the same coach who had the Woods brothers. Who ever the new coach at Claremore is he needs to get the kids to come out. Numbers have been low the last couple of years and they have no depth.

Willis had the woods brothers I think, is it not the same coach?

Boomhauer
4/27/2006, 07:11 AM

That is true. Hopefully this new coach will instill some pride in the kids. You have a lot of good athletes roaming the halls at CHS that don't play football. We maybe looking at a whole new staff this next year. I believe as of right now that only two coaches of 7 will be back next season.

Boomhauer
4/27/2006, 07:12 AM
Claremore sucks. GO MUSTANGS!!!!!

LOL all in good humor man. j/k

Oh boy!!!!! :)

dougsooner
4/27/2006, 09:48 AM
Dec. 1982, Claremore over Bixby in hoops. dramatic finish. How can you root against red and white Zebras?

DeadSolidPerfect
4/27/2006, 04:03 PM
Willis had the woods brothers I think, is it not the same coach?
Keith Bell is the head coach at Millwood. I'm not sure where Willis is now. Bell is leaving a heck of a junior class at Millwood.

OUGreg723
4/27/2006, 04:31 PM
GOOOO ZEEEEBRAS!!!

The Preach Man
4/27/2006, 06:26 PM
Mustang Magic!!!!!

(oologah mustangs for those who dont know of the claremore oologah rivalry.)

Bruiser53
4/27/2006, 09:02 PM
In response to offense, he ran a spread type offense with the quaterback the focal point. They ran the ball with the qb a lot, which is easy when he's getting recruited by Florida St. If I remember correctly, they ran a 5-2 defense. Millwood seemed to be one of those teams that underachieved big time this year. They had enough talent to run away with 2a and they didn't perform, so that might be somehting to be worried about.

picasso
4/27/2006, 09:16 PM
talent to run away in 2A? that would be Chandler.

Boomhauer
4/28/2006, 07:08 AM
From what I have been reading.....he wanted to get to Claremore because his wife is from this area. Claremore, me being biased, is a great place to be. The only problem is that in football we don't have the speed or strength to compete with the Carl Alberts, East Centrals, and Booker T Washington's of 5A. So yes, it would be a concern when he is leaving a heavily talented group of players at Millwood to come to Claremore.

Also...he may want to change his philosophy on offense as well. We don't have a QB that will break the 4.9 40 mark. They can throw a little bit....but run, not so much.

Gotta love the Zebras!!!!

OUFan22
4/28/2006, 07:46 AM
There seems to be a lot of you familiar with Claremore football. Who of you is from Claremore? I was born in Claremore, raised, and just recently moved away from Claremore. CHS class of 1985 here. I also played football for the Zebras.

Doug, did you play on that 1982 team? If so, I know you. Tim Lampton, David Feeback, Philip Christian are a couple that come to mind that played on that team.

Claremore will never again have a team like the team of 1978 with Kenny Kinnard. Undoubtedly, the best team in their class that year. Anyone remember the slogan "Zebras take state in '78"? Although we got screwed by referees in Stillwater, we didn't win it. Claremore does have a lot of talent that doesn't even go out for football. I think that many students didn't want to play for R.T. I also think that someone hit it on the head by saying that the personnel is many times in the wrong position. We also don't have the speed to run an option type of offense. Maybe quickness will be helpfull.

Boomhauer
4/28/2006, 09:36 AM
22...I teach and coach in Claremore. I was on the staff from 2001-2005.

All the time I hear about that team in 78 and the one in 1999 when Coach Casey was the head coach.

OUFan22
4/28/2006, 09:42 AM
Kenny Kinnard was the best pure athlete I have ever seen. He signed a professional baseball contract out of high school and had a full-ride to play football at OU. Yeah, coach Casey's team was a good one too. The Zebras were also good in the 1987-88 school year when they lost to Lawton Mac in the state semi's. Actually, in 1981 the Zebras probably should have made it to the state finals with Kenny Kinnard's brother William, but lost to Union. William was good enough to play pro ball if he had stuck with it. I know a few coaches at Claremore, namely the baseball coach M.M.

dougsooner
4/28/2006, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=OUFan22]
Doug, did you play on that 1982 team? If so, I know you. Tim Lampton, David Feeback, Philip Christian are a couple that come to mind that played on that team.

Yep, #30 in your program. We still hold the class record for wins. 24. Glad to see this board finally changed from the little known OU football to Zebra hoops!!!! Feeback was a year older. 82-83 team was my Senior year.

Boomhauer
4/28/2006, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=OUFan22]

Yep, #30 in your program. We still hold the class record for wins. 24. Glad to see this board finally changed from the little known OU football to Zebra hoops!!!! Feeback was a year older. 82-83 team was my Senior year.

And LEGENDARY LANTOW FIELD is still standing!