PDA

View Full Version : So, Who Should OU Play Every Year In Dallas

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 09:30 AM
Dean, the reason I started that thread yesterday was because the news about the whorns playing Arkansas instead of OU in Dallas came out yesterday. It wasn't any random whorn thread. I know....rules are rules.

So today is Wednesday and it still ****es me off that Deloss Dodds is so arrogant that he thinks it's no big deal for him to single handedly destroy the single best annual college football event in the nation.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 09:33 AM
And now they are saying that they don't want to opt out in 07, but still play in 08. Convenient that that would put the first game in UT with the way the "home team" thing is set up at the CB. I agree with a poster on insider. I say we pull the trigger first, use the opt out in 07 and play in Norman in 08. Take your football and go home Dodds. I have no problem kicking your *** every other year in your stadium. Add more seats, you prick. Just more witnesses to the beat down.

:mad:

OklahomaTuba
4/26/2006, 09:38 AM
Tradition and texass. Two words that really have no business being seen together.

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 09:40 AM
colleyville, I agree with the opinion that if Dodds doesn't make a firm commitment to keep the game in Dallas past 2008 then OU should opt out now and make the whorns play in Norman in 2008.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 09:46 AM
colleyville, I agree with the opinion that if Dodds doesn't make a firm commitment to keep the game in Dallas past 2008 then OU should opt out now and make the whorns play in Norman in 2008.

That's probably what he wants. That way he goes public with "We wanted to play it one more year, but OU didn't want to."

Man, as if my hate Texas fire needed more fuel. :mad:

Big Red Ron
4/26/2006, 09:58 AM
To answer the original question...the ONLY team that would **** UT off about is aTm. Therefore we should negotiate that game, at the fair, in october and let the shorties go out to Arlington. The game at the fair will still be the premere game.

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 10:01 AM
To answer the original question...the ONLY team that would **** UT off about is aTm. Therefore we should negotiate that game, at the fair, in october and let the shorties go out to Arlington. The game at the fair will still be the premere game.

I agree. It would **** the whorns off if TAMU were the replacement. I don't know if TAMU is willing to give up the OU game in College Station or not every other year.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 10:02 AM
I agree. It would **** the whorns off if TAMU were the replacement. I don't know if TAMU is willing to give up the OU game in College Station or not every other year.

No way. They won't do it.

Big Red Ron
4/26/2006, 10:08 AM
No way. They won't do it.Sure they would. Their hate for UT is, well, aggie like. plus they can make up for the lost home game with an out of conference home game. aTm would walk on their knees to Dallas to replace UT.

Oldnslo
4/26/2006, 10:17 AM
I'll bet, given the chance, they would.

It's just as good a recruiting tool for aTm as it would be for suxet, the game would get the same national attention, and the money would be better for aTm than the current home-and-home setup. Plus, there's all manner of Aggy who would love the chance to give their ut homies a facial.

aTm has every bit of national name recognition as the whorns.

Mac94
4/26/2006, 10:30 AM

Dollar Bill Byrne is our AD. He has been floating the idea of playing Texas Tech in Dallas because it might mean a few extra bucks. Put enough $$$ signs in front of him and just about anything is possible.

GDC
4/26/2006, 10:30 AM
UTEP

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 10:34 AM
aTm has every bit of national name recognition as the whorns.

Counselor.. are your briefs too tight this morning?

That is like saying Okie Lite has every bit of national name recognition as OU!

In terms of winning tradition, aggy had a ten year run between approximately 1984 - 1994 in which they won.. of course, they were put on probation at the start of that run AND the end of the run.

The last time aggy won a MNC was when Adolph was beyotch slapping Poland!

aggy is known for its cult like status, and holding desperately onto its Pleasantville like atmosphere while the rest of the world passes it by.

aggy is irrelevant.. an afterthought.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 10:36 AM
Oh boy! It's Wednesday. Time for you guys to speak honestly about Texas football :rolleyes:

The political leaders involved suck badly. Even if they get the Cotton Bowl referendum on the ballot, it probably doesn't pass for lack of genuine political support. And the proposed improvements are still insufficient to deal with the fact that the CB is a low-rent venue for a high-rent game. Ultimately, the fact is that all the belly-aching in the world about DeLoss and the money-brokers doesn't effect the reality that these guys have great leverage right now. Fans are lining up to pay more $$$ to the football program whether or not the RRS is held at the Cotton Bowl, in Dallas or f'n timbuk 2 (aka Norman ;)). I'm somewhat saddened about the direction where this is headed (in terms of ending a tradition), but I also recognize that such is the name of the game. I ultimately don't care more about the old venue (or even the neutral site) than the game itself. So, I'm kind of starting to fall on the timbuk 2 side at this point.

GDC
4/26/2006, 10:38 AM
Arkansas-Texas back? Arkansas coach Houston Nutt hinted that the Razorbacks might start playing Texas again. Nutt was speaking at the Little Rock Touchdown Club when an audience member said he had heard on the radio that Arkansas' series with the Longhorns would resume. "I'm not supposed to (comment), but evidently it's out," Nutt said, drawing a laugh..

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 10:38 AM
Counselor.. are your briefs too tight this morning?

That is like saying Okie Lite has every bit of national name recognition as OU!

In terms of winning tradition, aggy had a ten year run between approximately 1984 - 1994 in which they won.. of course, they were put on probation at the start of that run AND the end of the run.

The last time aggy won a MNC was when Adolph was beyotch slapping Poland!

aggy is known for its cult like status, and holding desperately onto its Pleasantville like atmosphere while the rest of the world passes it by.

aggy is irrelevant.. an afterthought.

Perhaps replacing UT on the schedule at the State Fair may help TAMu improve on some of those deficiencies.

BTW, if you can cut through all the blarney what do you think of the way Dodds has handled this issue? And, would it matter to you if TAMU replaced UT in the Cotton Bowl?

caphorns
4/26/2006, 10:40 AM
Doesn't matter to me Fanin. Play those aggies wherever you want. Not like the rest of the nation is going to care. Seriously.

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 10:44 AM
Doesn't matter to me Fanin. Play those aggies wherever you want. Not like the rest of the nation is going to care. Seriously.

I somehow don't think most of your fellow whorn fans would feel the same way. I do think if Dodds goes ahead with his plans to kill off the RRS it will not be a positive for the whorns or Dodds' legacy.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 10:46 AM
I somehow don't think most of your fellow whorn fans would feel the same way. I do think if Dodds goes ahead with his plans to kill off the RRS it will not be a positive for the whorns or Dodds' legacy.

Maybe. But he's pretty much done his things his own way for awhile. And it's very, very hard to argue against the success right now.

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 10:51 AM
BTW, if you can cut through all the blarney what do you think of the way Dodds has handled this issue? And, would it matter to you if TAMU replaced UT in the Cotton Bowl?

I think Dodds is bungling the situation horribly. Dodds has done an incredible job in terms of bringing coaches in, having the athletic department operate in the black and getting national recognition for UT. IF he is at the helm and orchestrates this great game, this unique tradition, being relegated to home and home, that will become his legacy and history could very well look upon him with derision. Dodds needs to take a much closer look at the dollars and cents and come to the understanding that hundreds of thousands of dollars will be lost in reduction of monies paid to the Longhorn Foundation (the more you pay now, the better seats you get to the Texas-OU game).. and that one extra home game every other year for the fat, cheese eating, wine swilling, pinky extending, spoiled, rat-*** big dollar alums, will not bring as much money into the athletic department as would be received by leaving the game in Dallas.

As for the other question, aggy playing OU would be comparable to Texas playing OkieLite in Dallas... there is no tradition, no history, no rivalry, no national allure.. it would be a wannabe experiment doomed to failure.

Partial Qualifier
4/26/2006, 10:51 AM
So, Who Should OU Play Every Year In Dallas

Nobody. What would we have to gain by playing some other team in Dallas?
If it's not Texas, it doesn't matter. What would be the point of playing someone else down there?

You dont want to give up a home game to play some pushover down there, and you dont want to schedule some perennial power in a game which is never played in our own stadium... unless as I stated earlier, it's Texas. The OU/TX deal in Dallas is unique on many levels. We don't battle Miami, or A&M, or UTEP, or Penn State, or New Mexico, or Notre Dame, or anyone else for the top-tier Dallas-area recruits. It's usually Texas.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Mac94
4/26/2006, 10:59 AM
If I were runnig the show at OU, I would opt out of the 2008 game if Texas does not make a committment to the RRS. Force the first home and home to be in Norman.

Second, I'd work with the city of Dallas, the Big-12, and the ADs at Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St. to work some games in Dallas. Both A&M and Tech have had discussions on playing each other in Dallas but that has noty been agreed to, but it does show that both schools are open to the idea of moving a game to Dallas, and oSu has played Tech in Texas Stadium before and they might like a chance to get into Dallas from time to time. Also, speak with other powers (Notre Dame comes to mind) to see if they might be open to the idea.

Texas, it seems to me, is playing a very cut throat game right now. They seem to be trying ot force a home and home in order to gain a bit more money and cut OU out of Dallas. If Texas can undercut OU's recruiting then they could put themselves in position to run the Big-12 for years to come. The idea of brining in Arkansas plays into this. Texas would keep a presence in the Metroplex, and Arkansas would gain some recruiting advantage as well. Their thought might be that an increase in Arkansas recruiting in Texas would hurt OU, Tech, A&M, and Oklahoma St. much more than it would harm Texas.

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 11:03 AM
I'd skip the game in Dallas and open up the rivalry with Nebraska again in Kansas City or something. It wouldn't be as good, but it's the next best thing.

Absolutely sickening that the ****ing uterus AD is pulling this ****. Makes me want to go kick every whorn fan in the balls with a spiked boot. ****.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 11:13 AM
How many recruits would we theoretically miss on if we didn't have a game in Dallas? It's not like kids in the Dallas area don't know about OU. It's 3-5 hours away, depending on where you live. If they are serious about going to OU, they'll go up there for a game. Are there really that many kids that we wouldn't have gotten from this area if the game wouldn't have been played there?

All I care about is the tradition of playing in the Cotton Bowl the 2nd Saturday in October. If you can't handle the ****ty stadium for 3.5 hours, your a baby.

http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/BigMad.jpg

OUTrumpet
4/26/2006, 11:13 AM
I would say LSU. Big name, who also goes after Texas recruits, and would probably love the chance at more opportunities for it.

I think location would probably be a big bet, so LSU, A&M, and Tech would be my choices for it.

Partial Qualifier
4/26/2006, 11:16 AM
I'd skip the game in Dallas and open up the rivalry with Nebraska again in Kansas City or something. It wouldn't be as good, but it's the next best thing.

That'd be cool

SoonerInFla
4/26/2006, 11:18 AM
**** a bunch of whorns and their chicken**** AD. I say we move to the North Division, replace the homos with Nebraska every year and then kick **** outta em in the Big 12 CG instead of Dallas. Why should we agree to ruin one of the biggest traditions in College Football because those idiots can't figure out how to build a bigger ****hole to play in.

Whatever happens, I'm glad we have Joe C. instead of that chicken**** Dodds homo. There's no doubt in my mind Joe C. is allready planning ahead to make their AD look like an even bigger piece of **** than he is when it's all said and done.

Mac94
4/26/2006, 11:19 AM
colleyville -

That's actually a very good question. In the old Big-8 days when that was OU's one trip to Texas, and before the boom of cable / ESPN / almost every game being on TV, I'd say it was a big deal.

Now, with OU playing 4 state of Texas teams (at least) yearly and with two of those game (minimum) being inside Texas and with OU being in the same conference as Texas, A&M, etc., I don't know if it's that big of deal. OU gets SO much more ink and TV converage down here now than they used to pre Big-12 I don't know if it matters. It would be an interesting question for coach Stoops and his staff since they are the ones doing the recruiting, as well as Barry Switzer and company that recruited so well in Texas in the "old days."

LSUdeek
4/26/2006, 11:33 AM
I would say LSU. Big name, who also goes after Texas recruits, and would probably love the chance at more opportunities for it.

I think location would probably be a big bet, so LSU, A&M, and Tech would be my choices for it.

I can't imagine such an arrangement being bad for LSU either. There's no doubt that we'd bring 40K fans to Dallas/Houston for such a game.

Mac94
4/26/2006, 11:38 AM
I always thought that if A&M ever did a neutral site series it should be LSU in Houston. Renue that old rivalry. Doubt it will happen, though.

OU - LSU would be fun.

LSUdeek
4/26/2006, 11:45 AM
I always thought that if A&M ever did a neutral site series it should be LSU in Houston. Renue that old rivalry. Doubt it will happen, though.

nah, bill byrne's a *****.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/26/2006, 11:50 AM
The more I think about it the more :mad: I get

Mac94
4/26/2006, 11:58 AM
nah, bill byrne's a *****.

I'd really like to take you to task here .... but until I see otherwise from him (football wise, anyway), I can't.

I always understood why Wally Groff didn't want to play LSU again as he was involved personally in the whole 1995 contract issue and felt really burned by what happened. But, all parties to what happened back then are gone, and it was such a fun game.

I have heard LSU has approached us about renueing the series, although one rumor has it that LSU wants to play in Baton Rouge (their home game) and Houston (out home game). That won't fly as it really is shades of the crap LSU pulled back in the 1970's demanding that all games stay in Baton Rouge (A&M wanted a home and home series).

But, evenif LSU offered a true home and home like we played in the 1980's and 1990's, I have serious doubts Bill would be man enough to sign the deal.

Oh well, I do have the 1991, 1992 and 1995 games on DVD (for the memories).

http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/AggieGifs/HortonKickoffTD_lsu.gif
http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/AggieGifs/McElroyKickoffTD_lsu.gif

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 12:00 PM
Too bad you blocked in the back on the top one at the 45. ;)

soonervegas
4/26/2006, 12:02 PM
If I were runnig the show at OU, I would opt out of the 2008 game if Texas does not make a committment to the RRS. Force the first home and home to be in Norman.

I couldn't agree with this more.....

Mac94
4/26/2006, 12:10 PM
colleyville -

Still ruled a TD by the refs. That was from the 1989 game in which LSU came in ranked in the top ten and we were heavy underdogs. The play was the opening kickoff of the game and Larry Horton returned the kick for a TD and a quick 7-0 lead. We won 28-16 on a HOT evening in Texas (temps on the field were around 125 degrees)

caphorns
4/26/2006, 01:48 PM
and that one extra home game every other year for the fat, cheese eating, wine swilling, pinky extending, spoiled, rat-*** big dollar alums, will not bring as much money into the athletic department as would be received by leaving the game in Dallas.

Admit it. You're just jealous.

Trash away guys. I don't care. But Dodds has faced worse critics than this bunch and some that do deliver big $$$$ to the U. Obviously, he remains completely unswayed. Screw Dallas and the Dallas-clan. Sticking the game in that 3rd world stadium is a f'n rip off to begin with. The game will go on without them. At least until Texas joins the Pac 10 ;)

caphorns
4/26/2006, 01:50 PM
And this is one time I'll agree with an aggy. From all accounts, LSU does not want to play fair with the Aggies: 1 game in Houston and 1 game in Baton Rouge. That should be an easy NO F'N WAY from the Ags.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 01:55 PM

Trash away guys. I don't care. But Dodds has faced worse critics than this bunch and some that do deliver big $$$$ to the U. Obviously, he remains completely unswayed. Screw Dallas and the Dallas-clan. Sticking the game in that 3rd world stadium is a f'n rip off to begin with. The game will go on without them. At least until Texas joins the Pac 10 ;)

It's 3.5 hours of pure college football tradition. I think you can suffer though that. The RRS deserves to be played there. It ****es me off that someday I'll have to tell my kids about how the game used to be played there, instead of taking them.

The memories, along with the bruises on the shins from the seat in front of you, will fade. :(

Mac94
4/26/2006, 02:02 PM
At least until Texas joins the Pac 10

As we like to sing: "Goodbye to Texas University, so long to the Orange and the White..."

In other words, don't let the door hit you on the way out. ;)

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 02:16 PM

OH HELL YES I'm JEALOUS! DUH!

I find it very hard to believe that a UT alum, with an understanding of the history and tradition of what the annual game has meant since 1929, would favor moving the game to home and home.. especially since.. financially.. the school would in all likelihood, make LESS money in the long run... one of the last bastions of pure tradition and history in all of college football would be relegated to just another rivalry game..

So.. wah.. there is no luxury box! wah.. there is no sushi sold at concession stands.. so.. wahhhh.... the seats aren't all too comfortable (who sits down anyway!)... wahh.. we can't get a manicure and hummer during the game!! WAH WAH WAH!!

This isn't a game.. it's a BLOODSPORT!.. that is best played where others bled and fought and gave their hearts and souls... where fans from both schools yelled and drank and laughed.. where fans felt the exhilirating thrill of victory... and the crushing agony of losing.

We're already losing much of what made college football great... this would just be another sign that all which has passed before.. means.. nothing. :mad:

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 02:19 PM
OH HELL YES I'm JEALOUS! DUH!

I find it very hard to believe that a UT alum, with an understanding of the history and tradition of what the annual game has meant since 1929, would favor moving the game to home and home.. especially since.. financially.. the school would in all likelihood, make LESS money in the long run... one of the last bastions of pure tradition and history in all of college football would be relegated to just another rivalry game..

So.. wah.. there is no luxury box! wah.. there is no sushi sold at concession stands.. so.. wahhhh.... the seats aren't all too comfortable (who sits down anyway!)... wahh.. we can't get a manicure and hummer during the game!! WAH WAH WAH!!

This isn't a game.. it's a BLOODSPORT!.. that is best played where others bled and fought and gave their hearts and souls... where fans from both schools yelled and drank and laughed.. where fans felt the exhilirating thrill of victory... and the crushing agony of losing.

We're already losing much of what made college football great... this would just be another sign that all which has passed before.. means.. nothing. :mad:

OMG. I have to rinse my mouth out. I totally agree with you.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 02:19 PM
OMG. I have to rinse my mouth out. I totally agree with you.

Whorn lover!! :D

FaninAma
4/26/2006, 02:30 PM
Lid, when you're right you're right....and you are right. I used to think the game should be a home and home series because I thought OU was getting screwed by having it in Dallas. Then I was able to attend 5 straight games(including the thrashing last year) and I saw what an awesome spectacle the game in Dallas was.

To kill this game would be like putting arms back on the Venus deMilo or painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. It should be a freaking crime to even contemplate killing the game in Dallas.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 02:36 PM
The RRS deserves to be played there.

No. The RRS game has outgrown the capabilities of the facilty for high end revenue generation for our respective athetic departments. The event deserves greater facilities. It's not about people being uncomfortable. It's all about the race to grow the most resource rich athletic department in the nation. Dodds has had the foresight to understand exactly how critical growing revenues and resources is to your sports programs instead of sticking his nose up at those who are willing to make huge commitments to grow the program.

The memories, along with the bruises on the shins from the seat in front of you, will fade. :(

All memories fade. You're concern should be simply about the ability of the series to generate continued interest. To me, the longevities of our programs at the top of their game give me alot of comfort here. That and - critically - that we have to play every year. Most great rivalries in college football are played home-and-home. ND/USC, UM/OSU, FLA/GA. Do you seriously believe we somehow need the crutch of a neutral site venue to keep this game relevant? I don't. What makes it relevant (and makes for great memories) is having great football programs. I want both of our programs to compete dollar-wise with the USCs and NDs of the world.

Bottom line - while I sympathize with you Dallas people and other sentimentalists, unless the economics can change to maximize revs for our respective programs (through better venue and a solid economic deal), the City of Dallas can bite my ***. I want our program to win National Championships. And if these extra-bucks make us that much more likely to win, then I'm in favor.

I honestly see no reason for OU, LSU, ATM, UT, Arkansas etc to have a game in Dallas or to have a neutral site game UNLESS you need to create a rivalry where one does not already exist.

Rant over.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 02:38 PM
Lid - how can you be certain about the economics? Have you studied this as much as DeLoss? I'm 100% sure he wouldn't be going this route if the economics didn't justify it.

[I just had an epiphany. Know what that is: NEW F'N COKE. Maybe we have something similar going on here.]

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 02:43 PM
Lid - how can you be certain about the economics? Have you studied this as much as DeLoss? I'm 100% sure he wouldn't be going this route if the economics didn't justify it.

[I just had an epiphany. Know what that is: NEW F'N COKE. Maybe we have something similar going on here.]

He's just going this route casue he's a di*k. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 02:44 PM

You mean it's gonna change, everyone's gonna hate it, and it's gonna go back to the way it was? Sounds good:D

caphorns
4/26/2006, 02:48 PM
Exactly what I'm suggesting colley. But they could change 1 thing that I'd agree to straight up (and may not happen otherwise). Moving TX/OU to the end of the year in lieu of Bedlam and Texas/ATM. I'd love to see the year climax with the final showdown for the Big 12 South every year. More like Michigan/Ohio State.

Shaz-Bot
4/26/2006, 02:51 PM
Most great rivalries in college football are played home-and-home. ND/USC, UM/OSU, FLA/GA.

You sure about that one? Because I could have sworn I was in Jacksonville, FL for that game two years ago.

Maybe UF or UGA have a satellite campus in Jax...

caphorns
4/26/2006, 02:56 PM
Duh. Thanks for the correction there Shaz. Guess I proved everyone else's point. I totally f'n lose :). Except that of the 3 games I listed the other 2 are considered bigger rivalries nationally.

TexasLidig8r
4/26/2006, 02:58 PM

I imagine the pipe smokin' Kansan has studied the economics. I also imagine the pipe smokin' Kansan is wondering about his legacy. I also know that right now, the City of Dallas is handcuffed by an idiot with no vision, wisdom or respect in the corporate community.

You want to look to the future? By all means... and if that means you find Texas and Oklahoma based corporations.... i.e... Southwest Airlines (Hey, Herb, in exchange for our complete backing of the overthrow of the Wright Amendment and some tax incentives for that new building you're putting up at Love right now.... throw $100million at the old bowl and you have naming rights to not only the RRS but the venerable Cotton Bowl as well... Oh, Frito-Lay.. you have a huge presence in Dallas too.... How about you hometown TI.. step to the plate fellas.)

I'm wondering if the pipe smokin' Kansan has been able to estimate the drop off in Longhorn Foundation voluntary dues when the game goes home and home?

I will certainly give the devil his due.. after failing with 2 other coaches, he got the football program right.. and Barnes and Augie were great finds too... the program is heavily in the black... Now.. let's see some understanding of history and tradition.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 03:13 PM
That's just it Lid. Foundation Dues will go up with an OU home game to vie for every other year. Look no further than last year's lackluster home schedule as a culprit in not exciting a greater marginal contribution. For those unaware, extra contributions at TX to the LHF slot you into better seats. Its pure, simple economics. If you are allocating $4K for your UT tickets including a $1K outlay for good OU seats (that you buy from your favorite scalper), you now outlay a straight $4K to improving your stead at UT (which also improves your road seating and your bowl seating). If you are giving BIG $$$$ this makes you happy to see others get pulled in and you continue to give or probably give more just to keep your position. Multiply all this by 50K or more. Throw in sales of luxury boxes which will make the Big $$$ doners go ALL IN so to speak. Sorry, but that's how I see it and I'm not going to question the pipe smoking dude that's made all the right moves so far and is building the best all-around sports program in the country. ;)

Meanwhile, I'd expect us little insignificant turds to get squished by the dudes with the big expensive custom-made shiny boots and the fat illegal Cuban cigars :texan:

Mac94
4/26/2006, 03:15 PM
Moving TX/OU to the end of the year in lieu of Bedlam and Texas/ATM. I'd love to see the year climax with the final showdown for the Big 12 South every year. More like Michigan/Ohio State.

I actually brought this up on TexAgs as a long term possibility if the RRS game in Dallas fades away. Outside of the 2nd weekend in October fixed date there is no reason other than tradition for the games to be played where they are. We no longer have Bonfire either, so we don't have anything other than tradition to fix Texas at the end of our schedule. If A&M remains poor to average in the near term and Texas and OU continue to control the south, whats to prevent ABC and the Big-12 to move the games around for better ratings? Why not move OU-Texas to a late season slot where it could be a nationally televised gig. Of course, Aggies would yell, and you'd want to make sure you've got some political cover, but if ABC starts making demands ....

caphorns
4/26/2006, 03:37 PM
I actually brought this up on TexAgs as a long term possibility if the RRS game in Dallas fades away. Outside of the 2nd weekend in October fixed date there is no reason other than tradition for the games to be played where they are. We no longer have Bonfire either, so we don't have anything other than tradition to fix Texas at the end of our schedule. If A&M remains poor to average in the near term and Texas and OU continue to control the south, whats to prevent ABC and the Big-12 to move the games around for better ratings? Why not move OU-Texas to a late season slot where it could be a nationally televised gig. Of course, Aggies would yell, and you'd want to make sure you've got some political cover, but if ABC starts making demands ....

I'm not sure what the holdback might be. Maybe there are insider deals with ATM. I would say that some of the $$$$ guys view ATM is our truest rival (since to them the world revolves around the state of Texas). But from a football fan's perspective, it's clearly the sooners who fit that bill. I think the odds are probably small that this happens - even though I'd like to see it at this point.

Mac94
4/26/2006, 03:41 PM
cap -

If it happens, and we're talking about something years and years into the future, it wold most likely be driven by ABC.

But, it has happened before. Back in 1994, with my Ags on probation and banned from TV, out game was moved to early novemeber and Texas-Baylor was moved to Thanksgiving weekend and shown by ABC.

With things changing, you just never know.

GDC
4/26/2006, 03:43 PM
This thread is exactly why we have no:texan:Tuesday, and why it should be seven days a week.

Octavian
4/26/2006, 04:04 PM
Cap should be a full time NFL fan...

Mac94
4/26/2006, 04:06 PM
btw ... what happened to the LSU kitty?

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 04:07 PM
This thread is exactly why we have no:texan:Tuesday, and why it should be seven days a week.

Why, this is a legitimate discussion. Take the no whorn conversation back to the threads on the south oval.

Octavian
4/26/2006, 04:09 PM
Texas wants to kill the RRS b/c they think:

a.) they can make more $ if it wasn't in Dallas.
b.) they think it has the possibility to cripple OU's recruiting in state of Texas.

...and all this time I thought the Nebraska message boards were full of crank-pot conspiracy theorists regarding the University of Texas and the Big XII Conference. They might've been on to something.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 04:19 PM
Cap should be a full time NFL fan...

F'n purist. My love for college football goes beyond the RRS being in the f'n Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Maybe yours doesn't.

Octavian
4/26/2006, 04:24 PM
F'n purist. My love for college football is outweighed by my thirst of dollar signs. Maybe yours doesn't.

fixed, beyonce.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 04:29 PM
F'n purist. My love for college football goes beyond the RRS being in the f'n Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Maybe yours doesn't.

You just don't get it.

soonerguild
4/26/2006, 05:13 PM
TexasLidig8r>caphorns
no seriously lidig8r is right, there are a ton of people at both places that vouluntarily donate money and by season tickets to other sports with the sole reason of getting better RRS tickets, including my father, in the long one 1 home game every other year wont match that, and it doesnt take economics to figure that out

soonerinabilene
4/26/2006, 05:58 PM
Texas wants to kill the RRS b/c they think:

a.) they can make more $ if it wasn't in Dallas.
b.) they think it has the possibility to cripple OU's recruiting in state of Texas.
...and all this time I thought the Nebraska message boards were full of crank-pot conspiracy theorists regarding the University of Texas and the Big XII Conference. They might've been on to something.

my view on that is, if we go to austin and win, that makes more of an impact than winning in dallas. im totally against it moving to a home and home, and there is not another team that we could play that would make that event nearly as special as it is. if it ends up going to that, we play in texas every year anyway, whether its in austin, college station, lubbock, or waco, plus when the big 12 championship is there. it wont effect recruiting, it will just ruin everything else that is pure and holy about the rivalry.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 06:05 PM
This has nothing to do with recruiting in Texas. That's the conspiracy theory angle. Trust me, you guys winning in Austin is just as bad - if not worse - than winning in Dallas.

Octavian - I get your point sort of. I'm just a realist. And I forgot the ;) on my post. You traditionalists don't bother me in the least. Apparently, it gets under your skin that college football is part business - really a big part business. How many non-$$$ programs are competing for national championships year in-year out? There's something to having some foresight and thought going into the next wave of filling your coffers.

I know that the aggies are somewhat proof as well that $$$ alone won't do it. But it is one of the prerequisites.

caphorns
4/26/2006, 06:06 PM
You just don't get it.

have you ever thought that maybe you're not getting it? I'm noticing a heavy Dallas connection with the people who are most emotional about this issue. Maybe I see things different from you guys for that reason alone. Who knows?

OUstud
4/26/2006, 06:46 PM
We need to become independent if this Dallas thing falls through. And I'm dead serious.

GDC
4/26/2006, 07:37 PM
Why, this is a legitimate discussion. Take the no whorn conversation back to the threads on the south oval.

It's legitimate for whornfans.com or texags, apparently where you belong too.

Octavian
4/26/2006, 08:58 PM
This has nothing to do with recruiting in Texas. That's the conspiracy theory angle. Trust me, you guys winning in Austin is just as bad - if not worse - than winning in Dallas.

Octavian - I get your point sort of. I'm just a realist. And I forgot the ;) on my post. You traditionalists don't bother me in the least. Apparently, it gets under your skin that college football is part business - really a big part business. How many non-$$$ programs are competing for national championships year in-year out? There's something to having some foresight and thought going into the next wave of filling your coffers.

I know that the aggies are somewhat proof as well that $$$ alone won't do it. But it is one of the prerequisites.

Someone doesn't have to "purist" to want the Red River War to stay in Dallas. That's like degrading a Yankees fan for objecting the destruction of Yankee Stadium or calling a Gator a purist for wanting to see the Cocktail Party stay in Jacksonville...

Of course college football is big business. Of course it takes money to compete regularly and win championships. You residents love to remind us of how succesful your athletic programs are in ALL sports. Vince just won you an NC in football for gawd's sakes...

In any event, Texas is not exactly hurting for dough.

Big XII athletic budgets (first $ amount is football, next is overall):

1.Texas $12.9M $70.6M
2.Nebraska $12.9M $55.8M
3.Oklahoma $13.7M $47.8M
4.Oklahoma State $8.7M $45.3M
5.Texas A&M $9.8M $43.8M
6.Texas Tech $15.3M $41.2M
7.Missouri $6.8M $38.7M
8.Colorado $9.6M $36.7M
9.Kansas State $11.4M $35.7M
10.Kansas $7.7M $34.7M
11.Baylor $7.7M $28.1M
12.Iowa State $7.2M $27.7M

http://www.fanblogs.com/big12/005324.php

Texas is already the most lucrative athletic program in the conference! And w/ the recent RB win, thats sure to go up....

Having the RRS in Dallas every since 1912 didn't somehow prevent you from just winning a NC in football...

So whats your point? Face it, when your administration is spinning the reasons for wanting to get out of Dallas in the RRS...They're PUSSING OUT and you all know it.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8679/texas9rc.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Look familiar?

Octavian
4/26/2006, 08:59 PM
oh....I forgot the ;)

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 11:29 PM
It's legitimate for whornfans.com or texags, apparently where you belong too.

It's called the OU TX game.

caphorns
4/27/2006, 09:34 AM
Octavian - nobody's pussing out. You guys have a lower budget but spend more on football. Car deals and the like ;)

So, the net effect is that we both need to continue to earn big $$$ and here's a chance to step up the dollars in what I think will be a fairly substantial way. But it would be better by me for the game to stay in Dallas and still rake the revenues. I think there's a chance of this happening and I support it. But it isn't going to happen with the Cotton Bowl. The City of Dallas is not serious and HAS NO REAL REASON to keep that stadium up to date for the future of this series. They have no pro games to sell there. It will ultimately NOT be the venue for this game - I don't care what bandaid you put on it. I like the idea of playing TX-OU at Jerry's place. But now that the Hog's been let out of the barn, I'm not so sure how we get that done. I agree with putting enormous pressure to bear on the administration - but not to the detriment of long-run revenues.

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:36 AM
correct me if I'm wrong cap, but isn't 'Jerry World' set to be open around the time that the current deal is up?

caphorns
4/27/2006, 09:37 AM
It is. It's just that the f'n hog owns it and is probably 100% giddied up on it being an Arky-Texas thing.

Scott D
4/27/2006, 09:42 AM
I think if he can swing things so he gets that game + the state fair he'd overlook the fact that it isn't a game against arkansas.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/27/2006, 09:50 AM

If you don't like this thread, go to a different one. The whorns are screwing with tradition and it deserves scrutiny.

GDC
4/27/2006, 09:53 AM
If you don't like this thread, go to a different one. The whorns are screwing with tradition and it deserves scrutiny.

and it's mostly whorns and ags talking about it

TexasLidig8r
4/27/2006, 11:27 AM
The City of Dallas is not serious and HAS NO REAL REASON to keep that stadium up to date for the future of this series. ..

Cappy.. I'm just gonna have to beyotchslap you into Bolivia!!!!

The City of Dallas, in hotel revenue, rental car revenue, restaurant and bar revenue receives, increased revenue at the State Fair from that weekend alone, receives approximately $18 - 20 MILLION each and every year.

snp
4/27/2006, 11:33 AM
6.Texas Tech $15.3M

How in the hell do they spend more then us? Are the refs really that expensive to buy off?

caphorns
4/27/2006, 11:50 AM
The City of Dallas, in hotel revenue, rental car revenue, restaurant and bar revenue receives, increased revenue at the State Fair from that weekend alone, receives approximately $18 - 20 MILLION each and every year.

Wrong. The money goes to those businesses. The City gets some marginal tax dollars in comparison.

Regardless, the total spend is a stinking pile of sheyat compared to what a new NFL stadium draws these days. First, you get the biggest sporting event in the world pretty much guaranteed. Second, you get some serious naming rights $$$$$. Now, reality is you can't build the luxury box domasium of the future on the State Fair/RRS budget plus the Cotton Bowl game alone. The Cotton Bowl is about oblivious now (which happened when the Fiesta trumped them for BCS entry).

Net result is a big revenue $100K plus stadium or luxury box/corporate sponsor stadium is not going to happen based on the RRS plus the Cotton Bowl game.

So I'm not anywhere near Bolivia at this point Lid.

FaninAma
4/27/2006, 12:53 PM
Wrong. The money goes to those businesses. The City gets some marginal tax dollars in comparison.

Regardless, the total spend is a stinking pile of sheyat compared to what a new NFL stadium draws these days. First, you get the biggest sporting event in the world pretty much guaranteed. Second, you get some serious naming rights $$$$$. Now, reality is you can't build the luxury box domasium of the future on the State Fair/RRS budget plus the Cotton Bowl game alone. The Cotton Bowl is about oblivious now (which happened when the Fiesta trumped them for BCS entry).

Net result is a big revenue $100K plus stadium or luxury box/corporate sponsor stadium is not going to happen based on the RRS plus the Cotton Bowl game.

So I'm not anywhere near Bolivia at this point Lid.

It's all about the dollars to the whorns. Having the most revenue is still not enough. They want to squeeze every last drop out of the system. Pretty damned pathetic. The rest of the Big 12 needs to do whatever they have to to protect themselves from these greedy idiots.

Herr Scholz
4/27/2006, 01:10 PM
It's all about the dollars to the whorns.
I'm very much against this game moving, as are 99% of UT fans. It's just Deloss and the richest 1% luxury box people wanting it moved. Nothing podunk season ticket holders like me can do about it. I've written letters but I'm certainly not giving up my seats in protest.

Herr Scholz
4/27/2006, 01:11 PM
I sent this email to Dodds last October when talk of this really started. You can tell he really valued my opinion. In contrast, view Castiglione's nice response to the same email. Our AD is about money and keeping the 1% richest donors happy. That's it.

Me: "Mr. Dodds, please do not allow the UT/OU game to be moved from Dallas. It provides THE most unique gameday atmospheres in college football and is a rite of passage for both UT and OU undergraduates. It's also the best game of the year for alumni and fans. It would be a crime to move it."

Deloss Dodds: "Thanks [Herr Scholz] for your input and thanks for being a UT season ticket holder. Dallas was fun this year.

Hook ‘em,

DeLoss"

Joe Castiglione: Dear [Herr Scholz]:

Thank you for taking time to express your sentiments regarding the OU-Texas football game in Dallas. We appreciate the feedback we receive from fans and friends.

We fully understand, appreciate and respect the unique tradition of this game. While the media will twist and manipulate a variety of perspectives, our position has not changed.

We are hopeful that the matter will be addressed and resolved in the next 6-12 months.

Thanks again for taking time to write.

Sincerely,

Joseph R. Castiglione

Director of Athletics"

FaninAma
4/27/2006, 02:46 PM
Herr,

When I refer to the "greedy idiots" it's not the average horn football fan....it's the eggheads who run the athletic department at the 40 acres in Austin. I understand that revenue is important but so is maintaining traditions and the integrity of the rivalry with OU.

If everything keeps being decided on the basis of money it won't be too long before the Walmart's and the Exxon-Mobils of the world will be making all of the decisions (including how college athletic programs are ran) and our kids and grandkids will be working for them.

Allowing this great sporting and social event to go the way of the local 5 and Dime is a tragedy and will be a major factor in the downfall of traditional American values. :mad:

arlington
4/27/2006, 02:52 PM
Why do we need to have a game in Dallas every year if we arent playing UT? We are in the Big 12 now, which means at least 2 trips to a Texas school every year..If we arent playing UT i say keep the extra game in Norman and make money for the university..There is a fallacy that not playing at the Cotton Bowl every year hurts recruiting Texas kids but that is probably not true..These kids have cable and Norman is only 3 hours away so not only can the ones that are considering OU make the trip north, but beating UT will still be impressive regardless if its in Austin, Norman or Dallas.I love how UT fans think if they dont play us in Dallas all of a sudden the recruiting pipeline will dry up..Big deal..If its not UT, add an extra game in Norman..