PDA

View Full Version : New Punter

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 10:16 PM
Someone on Insider has posted that we are have picked up a new punter. His name is Michael Cohen and he is from Kilgore College. There is an article posted over there, but there is no link. I'll post the article once there is a link, but I don't want to steal what he posted.

http://www.kilgore.edu/images/Rosters/169_124115.gif

melbitoast
4/25/2006, 10:20 PM
If this guy is coming in, hopefully he can be a solid replacement for Freeby. Most of Knall punts in the Red/White game made me sick to my stomach.

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.kilgore.edu/contentdetail.asp?ContentID=629

Kilgore College sophomore punter Michael Cohen was named honorable mention All-American by the National Junior College Athletic Association on Tuesday, just one week after being named to the Southwest Junior College Football Conference’s first team.

Cohen, the Ranger special teams captain this season, was one of four unanimous selections to the All-Conference first team and the only KC representative.

“Michael Cohen is as good a punter as there is in the country – that’s from junior college all the way up,” said KC head coach Jimmy Rieves. “Whoever ends up getting him next season will be very pleased and very fortunate. He’ll do a very good job.”

The Cypress Falls product finished the year ranked first in the SWJCFC, booming 36 punts for 1,519 yards – a 43-yard average. With his longest of the year being a 61-yarder in the season finale, Rieves says it’s plain to see Cohen’s greatest attribute – consistency.

“He can adjust to kick it long, adjust to kick it short and put it wherever he wants,” Rieves said. “If you want him to kick for distance he can and if you want him to kick for height he can. He was a very important weapon on our football team.

“If Mike wasn’t back there punting for us, our backs would have really been against the wall all season,” Rieves continued. “He alters your entire offensive game plan. If you’re in trouble, he can bail you out of it and you can take more chances with play calling because he’ll make up the difference if things don’t work out. We never had to worry about field position because of everything he brings to the table.”

This is the second time in 2005 Cohen has been recognized by the SWJCFC after earning special teams player of the week honors against Tyler in week six. Against the Apaches, he punted the ball five times for 248 yards with a long of 53. He thundered out an average of 49.6 yards per punt and downed three balls inside the Tyler 15-yard line, keeping them pinned deep all afternoon.

“We’ve had a lot of good punters come through here since I’ve been at Kilgore,” Rieves continued. “From here, one went on to Sam Houston State and another went on to kick at Purdue. Michael is a better than both. He’s athletic and has a very strong leg.”

Arizona, Kansas State, Louisville and Nebraska are among the schools having contacted Cohen.

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 10:22 PM
And from the following picture, it looks like he kicks without his shoe. That's kinda cool.

http://www.kilgore.edu/images/newsitems/69121200515203_x.gif

melbitoast
4/25/2006, 10:30 PM
Very encouraging article. Thanks for posting it! Good to hear that he's consistent, and appears to be very accurate.
And personally, if he's average over 43 a kick, I don't care if he kicks with a pink sock on!

Vegas Sooner
4/25/2006, 10:51 PM
is this on soonersports yet?

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 07:49 AM
ttt

The Consumate Showman
4/26/2006, 08:42 AM
hmmmmmm......
is this true????

link?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/26/2006, 08:58 AM
Looks like the fightn' artichoke may sit the bench his entire time here

swardboy
4/26/2006, 09:04 AM
And from the following picture, it looks like he kicks without his shoe. That's kinda cool.

http://www.kilgore.edu/images/newsitems/69121200515203_x.gif

Yeah, real cool in Lincoln in November

OU4LIFE
4/26/2006, 09:25 AM
That article reminds me of just how important Ferguson was to our NC run in '00.....he doesn't get enough credit.

IronSooner
4/26/2006, 09:32 AM
Nope. And if there's any doubt about Ferguson's abilities, go back and watch the 2001 USAFA game.

yermom
4/26/2006, 09:53 AM
that game in Norman where he dodged the rusher in the endzone and still got of the punt in 2001 or 2002 stands out to me

seems like it might have been KSU?

him and Duncan were quite the pair

Collier11
4/26/2006, 10:54 AM
that was at air force if I remember right, one hell of a play

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 10:56 AM
that game in Norman where he dodged the rusher in the endzone and still got of the punt in 2001 or 2002 stands out to me

I thought that was the opening drive against AF? I know it wasn't a home game, because I wasn't at the game.

Doesn't Jeff post here occasionally?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/26/2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah it was AF. Go watch LASOONER's 2001 vid cause that play is on there

GottaHavePride
4/26/2006, 11:02 AM

That was indeed the Air Force game in 2001. I was there. Towards the end of that game was Cory Heinecke's rumbling fumble return for a TD. Still one of my favorite plays ever.

CincySooner
4/26/2006, 11:03 AM
ferguson also had a great save in 2001 against NU. waaaaaaaay high snap, but he tips it enough so it doesnt go past him. scoops it up and boots it a decent distance.

BoomerJack
4/26/2006, 11:21 AM
I'm sure he's a good kid and talented but c'mon. With Bomar, AD and a rejuvenated OL, we're not gonna need a punter.

SoonerStormchaser
4/26/2006, 12:10 PM
That might be true...but a good punter is one hell of an insurance policy!

On a different note...why in the hell didn't we recruit that Sepulveda kid from Baylor?

snp
4/26/2006, 12:37 PM
That might be true...but a good punter is one hell of an insurance policy!

On a different note...why in the hell didn't we recruit that Sepulveda kid from Baylor?

Sepulveda tried to walk-on as a LB. Doubt he'd have the same chance up here.

crawfish
4/26/2006, 01:02 PM
GREAT!
A bare footed punter :rolleyes:
What kind of freaky trick plays can he be involved in? :mad:

HE'S WEARING A SHOE!!! IT'S A FAKE!!! :D

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2006, 01:47 PM
Sepulveda tried to walk-on as a LB. Doubt he'd have the same chance up here.

Right, Sepulveda was a bit of a surprise. He wasn't recruited by OU as a punter, becuase he wasn't a punter coming out of HS. In fact, I'm not sure Sepulveda was recruited at all coming out of High School. He walked on here as a LB and we were without a punter so GuyMo basically just asked if anyone could punt and the guy rasies his hand. Turns out he's one hell of a punter...

The thing is though from what I understand he doesn't exactly like being a punter. He'd much rater play linebacker and has made those feelings known, but we can't risk losing him as a punter if he gets injured playing LB. Though from what I understand he's also one hell of a linebacker.

We really found a diamond in the rough with Sep.