PDA

View Full Version : Will Bob Stoops let Adron Tennil (sp) play Basketball too?

Big Red Ron
4/25/2006, 05:23 PM
Isn't he a highly ranked Basketball player?

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 05:57 PM
Good point! Tennell is a highly recruited football player. If he does become a top reciever at OU, then coach Stoops may consider letting him play B-ball to keep him happy and keep him a Sooner.

What do other fans think?

badger
4/25/2006, 06:24 PM
let the waterboy play!

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:39 PM
Whatever....Oh hell, who was the guy that went to run track under Stoops??

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 06:40 PM
Whatever....Oh hell, who was the guy that went to run track under Stoops??

DaBryan Blanton

OUGreg723
4/25/2006, 07:23 PM
Blanton was also one of the best track stars we've ever had at Oklahoma.

OUstud
4/25/2006, 07:42 PM
Julius Peppers and Martellus Bennett come to mind.

Big Red Ron
4/25/2006, 08:06 PM
Well he let Brandon Jones play baseball.

SoonerShark
4/25/2006, 10:59 PM
We need basketball players more than wide receivers. The probable exodus of our recruiting class is all part of Kelvin's plan to make sure his son gets D-1meaningful playing time. It would not have gone over well if Kelvin gave his son playing minutes. Now, due to fouls and fatigue, Kellen will get 8 minutes a game.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/26/2006, 08:44 AM
It's been several years back but I remember Al (so take with a grain of salt) talking about a conversation he had with Stoops regarding recruiting players that excell in different sports and how it was his philosophy that it helped if a player was good in other spots because it proved he was a good athlete and also might be able to adapt to a position change. Al also said specifically in the case of a player like Brandon Jones that it was OK and at least players are not prevented from playing other sports BUT that a lot of position battles are hotly contested in the Spring and how it is hard to compete if you aren't there.

Of all the football players in recent memory Tennel might be the best/only real option to play hoops. My guess is that given the depth and competition at WR that he is going to have to work hard to win playing time (which I think he will)and playing hoops will be the furthest thing from his mind. An incoming freshman would have to have some pretty big stones to want to come in and play 2 sports. I could see a junior or senior possibly doing it. So I think it is real unlikely at least this year. Plus Tennel isn't a PG or a C which are our primary needs for next year.

An idea if we needed another 1-2 bodies would be to have our own version of Knight School and have some walk-ons compete for a spot on the roster. There are always some pretty decent players that might be able to help.

All that said I don't think we will have a problem with not enough bodies. There are still solid players out there just not the caliber of who we though we had locked up.

The Consumate Showman
4/26/2006, 08:50 AM
DaBryan Blanton

Thanks Jimminy. Is he training for the Olympics?

I have been told that Bookout is going to be training for the Olympics in shot and disc and that he is goig to bulk up to 300+ lbs.....

BigCrimson32
4/26/2006, 09:17 AM
We just need to let Capel do his thing with what he has and is going to get.

Oklahoma Football is what really matters and we need our best guys doing what they do best.

Don't get me wrong, I want a title in hoops, but honestly, 85,000 psycho screaming fans dying for a title in football, that's first priority.

Track wouldn't be a bad idea though

stoopified
4/28/2006, 01:19 PM
What we need are some 6'6-6'7 atletic types with solid bodies to walk-on from football.Anyone come to mind?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/28/2006, 02:09 PM
What we need are some 6'6-6'7 atletic types with solid bodies to walk-on from football.Anyone come to mind?

Me, about 12 years ago. :D

Edit, I missed the football part. I'm an ex-baseball guy that looks like an ex-football guy. Plus athletically I was a lot more like Renzi Stone than Taylor Griffin. Oh well, there goes my comeback.

NickZeppelin
4/28/2006, 02:20 PM
Sam Bradford is a pretty good basketball player too. So was Gresham. I doubt Stoops lets any of em play basketball though.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/28/2006, 02:40 PM
We need basketball players more than wide receivers. The probable exodus of our recruiting class is all part of Kelvin's plan to make sure his son gets D-1meaningful playing time. It would not have gone over well if Kelvin gave his son playing minutes. Now, due to fouls and fatigue, Kellen will get 8 minutes a game.

I pray to God this was sarcastic. Please don't make the jump from Sampson being a terrible coach to being a terrible person intentionally trying to screw OU. People acting like he is a terrible coach is crazy enough but please don't go all Aggyish with conspiracy theory.

birddog
4/28/2006, 03:07 PM
i really don't think you need confirmation on the sarcasm thing. 8 minutes is the key! You can't even get your heart pumpin' in 8 minutes,not even a mouse on a wheel!

sOOnerz311
4/28/2006, 04:29 PM
I also heard DeMarco Murray was a stud bball player? is this true?

OUGreg723
4/28/2006, 04:55 PM
Dean Blevins was sure a big time success!

Scott D
4/28/2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks Jimminy. Is he training for the Olympics?

I have been told that Bookout is going to be training for the Olympics in shot and disc and that he is goig to bulk up to 300+ lbs.....

yes Blanton is training for the 2008 games.

SleestakSooner
4/28/2006, 06:27 PM
Walk on Corn Frog!

snp
5/1/2006, 09:48 PM
Our 06 football recruits will be better at basketball then our basketball recruits.

Tennell
Braford
Gresham
Murray

Let's throw in Curtis Bailey as well for a big body.