PDA

View Full Version : OU # 6 Spring SI top 25

soonersam
4/25/2006, 04:41 PM
How does Texas stay at 2 after losing thier WR eerrr QB.....???
He's got Oregon at 16? I think they may be a little beter then that. I hope their really a true 16 and we roll'em up easily.. I dont want to get into a dog fight in Eugene..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/04/24/spring.top.25/index.html

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 04:43 PM
We were ranked about this high last year. And we lost 20 guys off of last years 2 deep.

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 04:44 PM
What are you preciting this year NZ? Based on a 12 game season.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 04:46 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 04:47 PM
Your joking right? I am saying 10-2 with losses to Oregon and a late season road game. No way we lose 5 or 6 unless a major injury bug hits.

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 04:48 PM
I still can't figure out why everybody is ranking Ohio State so high. They are loosing 9 out of their 11 defensive starters. I thought defense wins championships, or was I wrong there?

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 04:49 PM
Your joking right? I am saying 10-2 with losses to Oregon and a late season road game. No way we lose 5 or 6 unless a major injury bug hits.

Which late season road game? Baylor? OSU?

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 04:49 PM
Ohio State will probably be about like OU next year 6 or 7 games at the most. They have more offensive weapons but they have very little back on defense.

soonersam
4/25/2006, 04:55 PM
TheOSU will be decent but I think there going to lose a few in the Big11.. Week secondary!!

I think we could go undefeated with wins against Oregon and Texas..

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 05:00 PM
I think we could go undefeated with wins against Oregon and Texas..

Agreed. We are bringing way too much back again not to be significantly better. This team has something to prove, and they are going to do it!

fadada1
4/25/2006, 05:05 PM
and of course, the obligatory notre dame at #3. i hope they fail like spicoli at ridgemont high.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 05:12 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

wanna bet?

soonersam
4/25/2006, 05:12 PM
and of course, the obligatory notre dame at #3. i hope they fail like spicoli at ridgemont high.
Fadada,, Your givin away your age there buddy..

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/25/2006, 05:24 PM
Okay, a question I ask repeatedly

Who keeps giving NickZepp positive e rep ?

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/25/2006, 05:29 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

I think you are smoking crack

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 05:55 PM
It's awfully tough to say a young team wins 10 games. We lose way too much off of last years team. We lose 6 of our better blockers. 2 of those will be 2nd round draft picks. JD will probably also get drafted. We lose our best defensive tackle which is huge. Pendelton is decent. But he isn't gonna take over games. You also lose some leadership at LB with Clint Ingram. I don't think Pleasant will be as good as Ingram. Bomar has yet to be a consistant decision maker at QB on or off the feild. You never really know what he'll do.

Then we lose probably the best offensive coordinator we've had at OU since Galen Hall. There is no way you put the Sooners in the top 10 right now.

rainiersooner
4/25/2006, 05:57 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

You'll forgive me as I am relatively new to this board...this is a joke right? Which 5 or 6 games are we going to lose during the regular season? If you're simply someone who hasn't taken his meds and is having a particularly bad day, I can see claiming losses against Oregon, Texas, and A&M. But who are 4 and 5 to? Baylor because it's in Waco? OSU in Stillwater? A shocker in the opener by UAB? I'm just curious if you're just popping off or if you actually think we will lose that many games and why.

dougsooner
4/25/2006, 06:05 PM
Your question of "why do they rank texASS so high?" is easy: lazy reporters who just want to type something to fill the space of the magazine or web site. lazy, stupid and probably Yankees to boot....

soonerinabilene
4/25/2006, 06:06 PM
It's awfully tough to say a young team wins 10 games. We lose way too much off of last years team. We lose 6 of our better blockers. 2 of those will be 2nd round draft picks. JD will probably also get drafted. We lose our best defensive tackle which is huge. Pendelton is decent. But he isn't gonna take over games. You also lose some leadership at LB with Clint Ingram. I don't think Pleasant will be as good as Ingram. Bomar has yet to be a consistant decision maker at QB on or off the feild. You never really know what he'll do.

Then we lose probably the best offensive coordinator we've had at OU since Galen Hall. There is no way you put the Sooners in the top 10 right now.

oh my dear lord, that has got to be the most retarded post ive ever read of yours nick, and you've had some bad ones. long is better than leach? or mangino? and one more thing that defies logic, if we won 8 games last year and return our qb, receivers, rbs, des, most of the secondary, ruuuffusss, and everybody else that got playing time last year, plus add heupel as a qb coach and get a BETTER o.c than we had last year, how do we only win 6 or 7??? dvoracek will be missed, and so will jd, but everyone else is replaceable with players that are as good or better, and are hungry to win. if you want to be a fan of a team that loses, become an aggy. otherwise support your team and quit saying stupid crap like that.

rainiersooner
4/25/2006, 06:08 PM
oh my dear lord, that has got to be the most retarded post ive ever read of yours nick, and you've had some bad ones. long is better than leach? or mangino? and one more thing that defies logic, if we won 8 games last year and return our qb, receivers, rbs, des, most of the secondary, ruuuffusss, and everybody else that got playing time last year, plus add heupel as a qb coach and get a BETTER o.c than we had last year, how do we only win 6 or 7??? dvoracek will be missed, and so will jd, but everyone else is replaceable with players that are as good or better, and are hungry to win. if you want to be a fan of a team that loses, become an aggy. otherwise support your team and quit saying stupid crap like that.

See, that's why I'm trying to figure out if he's just a shill to get us worked up and post...

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 06:11 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

Just curious, what 6 or 7 do you think we are going to win?

The only two games that I can even see being close are Oregon and the other team I'm not going to mention because it is Tuesday

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:15 PM
Mangino without Heupel or with him? In 2001 our offense did nothing with Mangino. Leach's offense is not very good against good defense. It will never do well against a good system because it's a bad system. Good teams shut that offense down so easily it's not even funny. Look at this record against top 10 defenses and it's so bad it's not even funny.

Long had a ton of success and the offense was never really a problem when he was here. Look at the stats. The only 4 year period better was in the early 70s.

Josh Heupel is an unproven QB coach right now. And Long has done more with college QBs right now then Heupel ever has. I love Josh and I hope he does a great job. But you can't say he's a better QB coach then Long was.

rainiersooner
4/25/2006, 06:17 PM
Mangino without Heupel or with him? In 2001 our offense did nothing with Mangino. Leach's offense is not very good against good defense. It will never do well against a good system because it's a bad system. Good teams shut that offense down so easily it's not even funny. Look at this record against top 10 defenses and it's so bad it's not even funny.

Long had a ton of success and the offense was never really a problem when he was here. Look at the stats. The only 4 year period better was in the early 70s.

Josh Heupel is an unproven QB coach right now. And Long has done more with college QBs right now then Heupel ever has. I love Josh and I hope he does a great job. But you can't say he's a better QB coach then Long was.

You still haven't answered the question as to which 5 or 6 games we're going to lose.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:24 PM
Just curious, what 6 or 7 do you think we are going to win?

The only two games that I can even see being close are Oregon and the other team I'm not going to mention because it is Tuesday

There's a ton of trap games. Last year we played a much easier schedule.

No one thought we would lose to TCU, or UCLA. Very few thought we would lose to Tech.

We could lose to Oregon, Texas, Washington, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M. Heck last year Tulsa and Baylor gave us really good games. We could easily slip up against anyone after last year. There's no reason to assume we beat a patsy anymore.

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 06:28 PM
1) That's college football news, si, espn, sportsline, and fox sports...they rank teams who they want to be ranked.

2) NickZepp...let's be more realistic....I say we would lose 3 games at the MOST. You're missing OUt on a lot of information. I think the 2005 season has made you lose your faith in OUr team...there were reasons why we lost 4 games you know...

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:30 PM
There are reasons. I don't know if we are really any better in some of those areas

rainiersooner
4/25/2006, 06:30 PM

No one thought we would lose to TCU, or UCLA. Very few thought we would lose to Tech.

We could lose to Oregon, Texas, Washington, Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M. Heck last year Tulsa and Baylor gave us really good games. We could easily slip up against anyone after last year. There's no reason to assume we beat a patsy anymore.

OK - at least I now know that you are just having us on. First of all - and this is just an aside, but didn't we have the nation's 2nd toughtest schedule last year? Second - Washington? The Redskins or the team that went 2-9 last year? I guess we could lose to OSU. But the teams we lost to last year all went to bowl games or won their conferences (or a national title). Out of those six you listed, which are going to bowl games? Are you suggesting we're worse this year than last year?

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:32 PM
You're missing it NickZEPP..........AD was NOT 100% all year. OUr OL was crappy through the first half because they were, well, I dunno what.....and OUr D is MUCH better.

I'm with BoomerBradley....who is keeping Nick in the green??????

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 06:37 PM
I think the OL has yOU freaked OUt. Yeah we lost 4 starters but I think we'll be alright. OUr receivers are better, AD is healthy and Bomar is OUr official starter. JJ is great. I know the FB is a question mark but like Wilson said, if neither the TE or FB step up, we won't use them. Runnels will be missed but I don't thinkin losing a FB will hurt us much. Last year, we were a little disorganized on how things were to work OUt(the QBs). After Thompson was announced the starter, Bomar had his head down, thus not expecting HUGE play time like he saw this year, thus making him unprepared. After ENA's horrible performance:(, Bomar was asked to go OUt there and put everything on his shoulders. Plus, we had THE tuffest schedule in the country. Now, we don't have to be afraid anymore, neither does Bomar. There was NO bad coaching at all, just some things were disorganized. I'm not too worried about this team comin up. We'll be great.

The Consumate Showman

We have two trap games. One legit and one not so legit.

AFLAC Might give us fits, but AD will bail us out in the end.

Okie Light at Stoolwater will be playing their bowl game, so expect them to pull out everything, but we still WHIPP their AZZES.....

Please don't say aTm....McNeal is gone and if they want to run the friggin' option against us again, please let them....OUr DE's will killl them....

Shortwhorns will be exposed without Radio. I'll admit that last year I knew we were going to get kicked. This year, it feels more like 2000-2004.....

Listing Mizzou and Washington should get you banned...

yermom

i'd say we really only played 3 "patsies" last year... and we beat all of them

TCU looked like an easy game to start the season, turned out that wasn't right, Tulsa wasn't really a patsy either

we aren't breaking in a new QB (or 2) this season though

i can't imagine saying this season is harder than that one.

Oregon is probably about the same as UCLA

GottaHavePride
4/25/2006, 06:39 PM
There are reasons. I don't know if we are really any better in some of those areas

I think we'll be way better at o-line if we don't have any starters quit the team the week before our first game...

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:41 PM
Tulsa and Baylor last year are teams if we were half as good as we had been under Stoops we beat em by atleast 20. Probably atleast 30. Last year we just weren't that good. And we lost 20 players that either starter or were in the 2 deep.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:49 PM
Tulsa and Baylor last year are teams if we were half as good as we had been under Stoops we beat em by atleast 20. Probably atleast 30. Last year we just weren't that good. And we lost 20 players that either starter or were in the 2 deep.

Tulsa was the eventual C-USA Champ so that has to count for something. I think Kragthorpe has turned TU into a legit team. If you can't see that, you're stupid.

I'll give you Baylor. I still wonder what the hell our guys were doing out there; I think they must have felt that the game was in hand and we had it locked away, but again, like Tulsa, Guy is turning Baylor in the right direction. Baylor just might not be the perinneial "push over" they used to be......

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:51 PM
I think we'll be way better at o-line if we don't have any starters quit the team the week before our first game...

I think we may be deeper but it's impossible to say better. It's not just the OLine you have to look at. The blocking at the FB and the TE position just won't be as good. That's vital to a good run Offense. And it's the reason our run offense was successful at the end of last year. We don't lose just 4 starters on the offensive line. We lose 6 starters really. That's tough to replace. Early in the year for whatever reason the Srs played little on the OLine outside of Joseph and sometimes Bush. Injuries were a reason but also the coaches thought of potential above experience. And it hurt that offense. The last few games they went with the experience. Suddenly the blocking was better. Next year we have no experience there outside of Messner and maybe Cooper.

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 06:53 PM
Tulsa was the eventual C-USA Champ so that has to count for something. I think Kragthorpe has turned TU into a legit team. If you can't see that, you're stupid.

I'll give you Baylor. I still wonder what the hell our guys were doing out there; I think they must have felt that the game was in hand and we had it locked away, but again, like Tulsa, Guy is turning Baylor in the right direction. Baylor just might not be the perinneial "push over" they used to be......
remember though, AD and kejuan were suspended in that game..that's PARTIALLY the reason

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:53 PM

I would also consider A&M up there but it's tough to prepare for an unknown system which is what A&M used. No one knew they were basically going to the triple option with a reserve QB that was known for his arm. But A&M was an average team and gave us all we wanted in Norman.

Another thing to consider about the schedule next year. 4 of the last 5 games are on the road. And Stoops' teams good or bad haven't typically played well on the road. Moving the OSU game to the end of the year was a bad mistake IMO.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:54 PM
remember though, AD and kejuan were suspended in that game..that's PARTIALLY the reason

And our running game wasn't really a problem. I think that was the first game that we played all the 4 seniors more then we had all year.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:55 PM

Oh I remember. Pizzed me off royally before the game. Gute showed his grit, though. Still, we should have won the game and not gone into OT with them. OUr D was what got my blood boiling.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:59 PM
Moving the OSU game to the end of the year was a bad mistake IMO.

Now you're talking sense. I CAN'T FU$%ING STAND IT THAT WE AGREE TO MOVE THIS GAME EVERY FU$%ING YEAR!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THOSE AGGIES; DON'T GIVE THEM THE BENEFIT OF SCREWING UP THEIR SEASON AND NOT GETTING BOWL ELIGIBLE TO PLAY US FOR THEIR BOWL GAME!!!! I WISH JOE C. WOULD STICK TO HIS GUNS AND TELL GUMBY, SCHMUDDLY, AND THE BIG XII TO F$%K OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

soonerinabilene
4/25/2006, 07:01 PM
alot of the guys we lost off the 2-deep underachieved or were overrated coming in. i like that our o-line is going to be different than last years. as bad as they played, how is losing some of them a bad thing automatically?? i honestly believe that we grew more as a team this past year, with all the tough games and YOUNG players having to step up than the team did in 99. and what did we do the next year?? why is it so hard for you to be optimistic nick??

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 07:01 PM
honestly, I don't mind us at all if we became independent because that would mean we could play whoever we wanted anytime in the season. just sayin

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:03 PM
Yep, playing 3 of our final 4 on the road is tough enough. What Joe C or Bob Stoops should have told the Big 12 is this... "If you want to move the OSU game to the end of the year make it be played in Norman."

Atleast we get a free home game out of it. Playing 4 of 5 on the road is stupid for a young team to do.

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 07:13 PM
Yep, playing 3 of our final 4 on the road is tough enough. What Joe C or Bob Stoops should have told the Big 12 is this... "If you want to move the OSU game to the end of the year make it be played in Norman."

Atleast we get a free home game out of it. Playing 4 of 5 on the road is stupid for a young team to do.

Right, because traditionally OSU and Baylor are difficult...

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:22 PM
Under Stoops at OSU the scores have been 12-7 W, 38-28 L, 38-35 W,

If you want to say those are down years. 2000 we won every game, 2002 we won the Rose Bowl, 2004 we went to the NC game. Those were arguably 3 of our best years. Like it or not it's tough to play in Stillwater. Baylor is a game we should always win. We've never lost to Baylor.

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 07:24 PM
you forgot one thing though...lester isn't their coach anymore

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:25 PM
Good point. But it's not like he's a great coach or anything. I think Gundy can atleast duplicate what he did.

BASSooner
4/25/2006, 07:26 PM
look what he did at LSU...

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:29 PM
With Saben's talent. I won't say Miles is a bad coach either. He can coach good talent.

usmc-sooner
4/25/2006, 07:29 PM
If we lose 6 games I'll never post here again, If we don't Nick you won't come back here ever.

although I can't see why your still here now.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:44 PM
Look if we win 10 or 11 games or more. I'll admit I was completely wrong.

OU-HSV
4/25/2006, 08:07 PM

Post reported...it's Tuesday;)

bigdsooner
4/25/2006, 08:26 PM
Very few thought we would lose to Tech. .

nick, you should have your a$$ kicked for spewing this crap, we WON that fu**ing game :mad: , you know it, i know it, everyone knows it. what the hell kinda fan are you?

SkipTracer
4/25/2006, 08:30 PM
It should be obvious, Nick is greening Nick.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2063/nickzeppstupid0lq.jpg

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 08:32 PM
nick, you should have your a$$ kicked for spewing this crap, we WON that fu**ing game :mad: , you know it, i know it, everyone knows it. what the hell kinda fan are you?

We shouldn't have been in a position to even have a close game in that one IMO. We lost the game by not being in control of the game at the end. Even if the refs screwed us.

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 08:35 PM
I still can't figure out why everybody is ranking Ohio State so high. They are loosing 9 out of their 11 defensive starters. I thought defense wins championships, or was I wrong there?

True, defense wins games. Keyword games. If their offense is as good as OUr 2004 offense was, their defensive weaknesses may only show face against a title contender. Rememer how we struggled defensively in 2004, but people ignored it because we were undefeated? Not only did OUr offense have a bad night at OUr favorite bowl game, their defense showed its true shaky colors. I just hope after two hit-or-miss years of "rebuilding"-- that were going to be back to the old fashioned Bob Stoops "kick them where it hurts" defense.

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 08:39 PM
We shouldn't have been in a position to even have a close game in that one IMO. We lost the game by not being in control of the game at the end. Even if the refs screwed us.

Sick as it may sound, dude's got a point, there. Bob Stoops said something along the lines of "it was a game of inches, and you can't beat them all."
You have to look inside that and realize that while the officiating was the most pitiful we've perhaps EVER seen, a good D would have forced a three-and-out like we did several other times in that game...

skeeterou
4/25/2006, 08:48 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/skeeterou/pennandteller.gif

bigdsooner
4/25/2006, 08:49 PM

dude, we had alot of inexperience on last years team, replacing a heisman qb great wr's, oline defections, this is where most of last years problems were. everyone had high expectations for last year and we were all disappointed after the opener, reality set in and we knew it would be a long season and it sucked. but this VERY YOUNG team finished strong winning its last 7 games including the holiday bowl. to say we shouldnt have been in that position to begin with is ludacris, i feared a tight game but we would win. tech was a pretty good team last year so to expect a young team to go there and play and blow them out is :confused: . btw, we were in control in the end, remember the bs 1st down mark...shuda ended the game, the goalline stop of henderson...shuda ended the game, how was it exactly that we werent in control at the end.

Big Red Ron
4/25/2006, 08:50 PM
Tech in tortllia land was no easy task for anyone, the few last years.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 08:54 PM
dude, we had alot of inexperience on last years team, replacing a heisman qb great wr's, oline defections, this is where most of last years problems were. everyone had high expectations for last year and we were all disappointed after the opener, reality set in and we knew it would be a long season and it sucked. but this VERY YOUNG team finished strong winning its last 7 games including the holiday bowl. to say we shouldnt have been in that position to begin with is ludacris, i feared a tight game but we would win. tech was a pretty good team last year so to expect a young team to go there and play and blow them out is :confused: . btw, we were in control in the end, remember the bs 1st down mark...shuda ended the game, the goalline stop of henderson...shuda ended the game, how was it exactly that we werent in control at the end.
Tech was driving to win the game were they not? I agree that we got screwed but if we had played good D earlier in the game we win it 23-7 or 10 instead of losing it by a point. And we've played really well in Tech over the last few years. Since Leach has been there we've dominated there really. Just lost last year though.

soonerinabilene
4/25/2006, 09:12 PM
Tech was driving to win the game were they not? I agree that we got screwed but if we had played good D earlier in the game we win it 23-7 or 10 instead of losing it by a point. And we've played really well in Tech over the last few years. Since Leach has been there we've dominated there really. Just lost last year though.

nick, our "horribly coached defense" held them to almost 20 pts below their season avg. with what we had last year, i'd say thats a good effort for a rebuilding team.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 09:15 PM
You can't look at Tech's average and say it's a great offense. They'll score points against average-bad defenses and against defenses that don't know what they are doing. We defended Tech well from about 3rd quarter to the 4th quarter late in the game. But still they scored enough to win.

toast
4/25/2006, 09:15 PM

Yes, holding them to 17 points until the infamous last TD, losing the game was certainly the defense's fault. :rolleyes:

BillyBall
4/25/2006, 09:23 PM
Yes, holding them to 17 points until the infamous last TD, losing the game was certainly the defense's fault. :rolleyes:

The "Nick Filter" takes time... He sucks, you just have to have low expectations for anything that he writes. Low expectations are key, that way you are at least pleasantly surprised with his bull**** posts.

okienole3
4/25/2006, 09:32 PM
Led Nick > Nick Zepp

toast
4/25/2006, 09:34 PM
Heck, all 4,000+ posters at soonerfans.com > Nick Zepp

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 09:37 PM

Long with White or Long without AD... Dude had it too easy.
nuff' said.

soonercody
4/25/2006, 09:38 PM
I know this may be sacreligious but ND looks solid all the way around to me.

KC//CRIMSON
4/25/2006, 09:45 PM
I think we win 6 or 7.

Okay, either your being a total prick (which is highly possible) or you really are this dumb. (which is also highly possible)

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 09:46 PM
I know this may be sacreligious but ND looks solid all the way around to me.

Why do you think their defense looks good?

emoinwinter
4/25/2006, 09:50 PM
True, defense wins games. Keyword games. If their offense is as good as OUr 2004 offense was, their defensive weaknesses may only show face against a title contender.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. I'm pretty sure I said "Defense wins Championships." I'm pretty sure the saying isn't "Defense wins games." That is why I was saying that Ohio State shouldn't be ranked #1. They aren't going to win the championship. They'll have enough to runup points, but they won't be able to shut down anyone else this upcoming year that can putup points i.e. ND.

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 09:52 PM
probably just depth, returning talent and professional eye of Weiss. People don't want to admit it, but they're on the way back up (along with all the other traditional powerhouses, a trend which we started up, I believe). ND will be BCS good next season, still optimistic about them overcoming that schedule, though. If they do, I don't like the way OUr schedules compare (OU/ND).

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 09:57 PM
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here. I'm pretty sure I said "Defense wins Championships." I'm pretty sure the saying isn't "Defense wins games." That is why I was saying that Ohio State shouldn't be ranked #1. They aren't going to win the championship. They'll have enough to runup points, but they won't be able to shut down anyone else this upcoming year that can putup points i.e. ND.

We're sort of on the same page here. I think (IMHO) they're good enough to be a top-ranked team during the season, but one stiff challenge (Example: OU vs USC) could flat-line tOSU. The offense will carry them until they meet another offensive toughie. Which governing their schedule, may not happen until bowl time...

bigdsooner
4/25/2006, 09:59 PM

:confused: never mind

Octavian
4/25/2006, 10:04 PM
If every preseason thread from now until August puts this much emphasis on Nick's opinions then I dont know what to do.

Nick is ALWAYS gonna be negative....please...just let him go as much as possible and the rest of us discuss whats gonna be happening from coast-to-coast in the upcoming season.

TIA.

Although this is sorta off-topic....just outside the Top 5 is a perfect place for this team to start the year.

bigdsooner
4/25/2006, 10:23 PM
If every preseason thread from now until August puts this much emphasis on Nick's opinions then I dont know what to do.

Nick is ALWAYS gonna be negative....please...just let him go as much as possible and the rest of us discuss whats gonna be happening from coast-to-coast in the upcoming season.

TIA.

Although this is sorta off-topic....just outside the Top 5 is a perfect place for this team to start the year.

true, but that fu**in tech bull$hit cuts deep!

im happy being anywhere in the top 10, aint gonna b!tch about # 6

Crimson Kid
4/25/2006, 10:47 PM
6th is fine, but we'll be pulling a jefferson's on them soon. :D

Vegas Sooner
4/25/2006, 11:01 PM
6 is about right,........ but how do you put "that" team @ #2

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 11:18 PM
Long with White or Long without AD... Dude had it too easy.
nuff' said.

You mean the 2002 offense?

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 11:20 PM

I didn't say it was the defenses fault neccessarily. But our defense has done better against Tech in the past. Tech's offense is pretty easy to stop for us. It has been since Leach has been there.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 11:22 PM

When we were winning games I was more positive. If we are really good I'm more positive. If we are really bad it's more negative. I post the way my team is. I don't care to be positive or negative. That's a stupid way of thinking.

Octavian
4/25/2006, 11:23 PM
see what I mean...

skeeterou
4/25/2006, 11:52 PM
When we were winning games I was more positive. If we are really good I'm more positive. If we are really bad it's more negative. I post the way my team is. I don't care to be positive or negative. That's a stupid way of thinking.

you sir get
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/skeeterou/assclown.jpg

mrssoonerhubler
4/26/2006, 12:09 AM
you sir get
Too funny!

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 12:13 AM
so who's up for just never replying to zepp, ever? not ever again!

any why the hell is calvin listed as a key returnee in that si list? yeah he got the job done last year but had we not lost john williams and larry bird he never would have seen the field. and bomar is not in the list...seriously?

okienole3
4/26/2006, 12:18 AM

Sometimes I wonder if you even know what you are saying.

Vegas Sooner
4/26/2006, 12:22 AM
Sometimes I wonder if you even know what you are saying.

id say doesnt

okienole3
4/26/2006, 12:32 AM
so who's up for just never replying to zepp, ever? not ever again!

any why the hell is calvin listed as a key returnee in that si list? yeah he got the job done last year but had we not lost john williams and larry bird he never would have seen the field. and bomar is not in the list...seriously?

Because it was Calvin that got it done. He would have seen the field either way. Bomar isn't listed because he gets a whole paragraph devoted to him at the end.

Stupid horn.

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 12:35 AM
dude... i'm not a horn. i seriously think calvin is the fourth most talented DE that we have. but mainly, i'm not a horn. i go to school here at OU.

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 12:37 AM
Thibs talentwise may be the 4th best DE. But talent isn't the most important thing. He may start at DE, but he'll definatly play a lot even if he doesn't start.

okienole3
4/26/2006, 12:39 AM
Thibs talentwise may be the 4th best DE. But talent isn't the most important thing. He may start at DE, but he'll definatly play a lot even if he doesn't start.

HOLY ****! I agree with Nicky Z. :O

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 12:43 AM
in my opinion, being 4th best doesn't qualify someone as a key returner in a list of 3. and despite bomar having an entire paragraph at the end does not make up for him not being listed as a key returner...in a list of 3. he's the qb right?. i'm just saying-- seeing calvin's name there instead of bomar, or reggie, or birdine, or kelly surprised me.

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 12:47 AM
Mark Bradley probably didn't actually start many games of his career. He was always the 3rd or 4th WR. Yet he left his mark. Just because you don't start doens't mean you can't be a key returning player. As of now Larry Birdine has started 1 career game. Yet he's considered a key returning player.

okienole3
4/26/2006, 12:52 AM
in my opinion, being 4th best doesn't qualify someone as a key returner in a list of 3. and despite bomar having an entire paragraph at the end does not make up for him not being listed as a key returner...in a list of 3. he's the qb right?. i'm just saying-- seeing calvin's name there instead of bomar, or reggie, or birdine, or kelly surprised me.

Well, Williams played what 2 snaps last year and Birdine missed the entire season until the Holiday Bowl? They aren't exactly key returners either, because they aren't returning from anything last year. Thibs was our leading sack man and tied with Rufus for most tackles for a loss. I would say he is pretty f'n key in returning. I don't think they put Reggie or Bomar on there because it is pretty self explanatory that if a person has a whole paragraph dedicated to them, then they are probably key returners too.

I would like to edit my previous comment. I agree with Nick that Thibs is important, but my reasoning was better then :) his.

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 12:56 AM
and si didn't make the dumba** comment claiming bradley was a key returner IN A LIST OF 3!! not over white, peterson, rufus or dusty. tell me this since we obviously cant on the same page-- what are the top 3 returning starters for next year?

okienole3
4/26/2006, 01:01 AM
Well I know one thing, Carl Thibodeaux isn't a key returner. I don't even know who the F that is.

Top 3 returners: A.D., Rufus, and Reggie Smith.

okienole3
4/26/2006, 01:01 AM
and si didn't make the dumba** comment claiming bradley was a key returner IN A LIST OF 3!! not over white, peterson, rufus or dusty. tell me this since we obviously cant on the same page-- what are the top 3 returning starters for next year?

Oh and the list is actually 4 deep.

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 01:05 AM
so answer the question with the top 4 and i still say calvin is not there. i'm not saying he's not valuable or anything like that, obviously we are fortunate that he came through when the other 2 DE's went down. like a friend said to me about calvin, he's like the fat girl that gives the best h**d, it's not pretty but the job get's done. agreed?

okienole3
4/26/2006, 01:08 AM
so answer the question with the top 4 and i still say calvin is not there. i'm not saying he's not valuable or anything like that, obviously we are fortunate that he came through when the other 2 DE's went down. like a friend said to me about calvin, he's like the fat girl that gives the best h**d, it's not pretty but the job get's done. agreed?

No, he is talented. We have no idea what John Williams could do in a whole season. We know that Thibs can come through, so that automatically makes him more important than J Dub. Bye bye Tree Hook 'em

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 01:12 AM
and i still never got your top 4 for next year. i thought that might hang u up a bit. and yeah williams did only start 2 games...over calvin, then he injured his knee. c ya dude

okienole3
4/26/2006, 01:21 AM
I gave you three. My fourth would obviosuly be Bomar, but that goes without saying. But if I were writing an article that contained a paragraph about him, I would mention someone else as a key returner. You act as if Thibs is some spare. Williams didn't even play a whole game, he got hurt agianst TCU. The point of my argument was that Thibs deserved to be up there as much as anyone.

okienole3
4/26/2006, 01:21 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jackietreehorn again.

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 01:24 AM
The key returners? AD and Rufus are the easy ones. Kelly or Smith would probably be the other one. Maybe Bomar but I'm not sure if he can be consistant enough yet.

jackietreehorn
4/26/2006, 01:37 AM
either way bomar is key. granted... he may be key to a shotty year, but i doubt it. and okie... i meant to say snaps not games, but, you're soooo right. my case that calvin is not in the top 3 or 4 returners CLEARLY holds no water.

KingDavid
4/26/2006, 01:48 AM
I think we win 6 or 7.

I wanted to make sure this phenomenal prediction by Nick stays at the top of queue so that everyone can appreciate his amazing prophetic gifts and heart-warming optimism.

CincySooner
4/26/2006, 08:56 AM
Last year we played a much easier schedule.

stopped reading right there.

The Consumate Showman
4/26/2006, 10:40 AM
you sir get

Awesome!

milesl
4/26/2006, 12:28 PM
can someone copy and paste the article? my job filters sports sites. thanks

Octavian
4/26/2006, 12:42 PM
here ya go...

Trying to pick an early No. 1 team for 2006 is a lot like trying to find a decent lunch at the food court in your local mall: None of the choices are particularly appetizing, so you might as well just pick something and go with it.

Do you go with one of last year's standbys, Texas and USC, even though both must replace franchise players? Do you take a chance on offensive juggernaut Ohio State despite all those unfamiliar faces on defense? Are you willing to overlook that Fiesta Bowl meltdown amidst all the tempting star power of Notre Dame? Was that West Virginia Sugar Bowl show a fluke or a sign of things to come? And, oh yeah, what about Oklahoma, which has a healthy Adrian Peterson?

After much debate, I decided to go with the Buckeyes -- for now. Perhaps I drank too much of the Kool-Aid during my recent trip to Columbus, but no one there seems particularly worried about the young defense, particularly with stud freshman running back Chris Wells joining an already loaded offense. We'll find out plenty about OSU quickly enough: The Buckeyes are at Texas on Sept. 9.

NCAA Football Power Rankings
Rank LW School

1 -- Ohio State Buckeyes (10-2)
Key returnees: QB Troy Smith, WR Ted Ginn Jr., RB Antonio Pittman, DT Quinn Pitcock

Spring star: LB Ross Homan. The true freshman turned heads, drawing comparisons to a young A.J. Hawk.

Lowdown: The offense, which in addition to Smith, Ginn and Pittman welcomed top-rated high school RB Chris Wells during the spring, should be nothing short of powerful. The question is how quickly the Buckeyes' nine new defensive starters -- most of them highly touted, but untested -- jell.

2 -- Texas Longhorns (13-0)
Key returnees: RB Jamaal Charles, T Justin Blalock, DT Frank Okam, S Michael Griffin

Spring star: TE Jermichael Finley. The pass-catching redshirt freshman could be a more athletic version of departed star David Thomas.

Lowdown: Replacing QB Vince Young with a pair of freshmen, Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead, might seem like a recipe for disaster, but the 'Horns are so loaded at the skill positions and on defense that it's been apparent they'll still be able to win without the quarterbacks running for 200 yards.

3 -- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (9-3)
Key returnees: QB Brady Quinn, WR Jeff Samardzija, RB Darius Waker, S Tom Zbikowski

Spring star: QB Jimmy Clausen (H.S. junior). The prep star's much-anticipated announcement on Saturday that he was committing to the Irish upstaged ND's spring game.

Lowdown: With four veteran starters on the line to go with Quinn and the skill guys, coach Charlie Weis' offense, 10th in the country last season, figures to be even more potent. Nine starters return on defense, but the key will be developing a better pass rush and more consistent cornerbacks.

4 -- West Virginia Mountaineers (11-1)
Key returnees: QB Pat White, RB Steve Slaton, C Dan Mozes, LB Kevin McClee

Spring star: DB Quinton Andrews. The hard-hitting redshirt freshman is pushing for a starting spot in WVU's 3-3-5 stack.

Lowdown: The Mountaineers spent the spring cultivating a more productive passing game to go with the already powerful running combo of Slaton and White. The defense, which played a valuable but unsung role last season, will need several youngsters to step up in the secondary.

5 -- LSU Tigers (11-2)
Key returnees: QB JaMarcus Russell, WR Dwayne Bowe, FS LaRon Landry, LB Ali Highsmith

Spring star: DT Glenn Dorsey. LSU coach Les Miles says Dorsey is just as talented as departed stars Kyle Williams and Claude Wroten.

Lowdown: With Russell sitting out spring, backups Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux made their push for playing time. The Tigers shouldn't have a problem reloading on defense, but running back (Alley Broussard and Justin Vincent are both coming off torn ACLs) and offensive line remain question marks.

6 -- Oklahoma Sooners (8-4)
Key returnees: RB Adrian Peterson, LB Rufus Alexander, DE Carl Thibodeaux, DE C.J. Ah You

Spring star: CB Reggie Smith. The heralded sophomore, who moved from safety to corner, has the looks of a big-time playmaker.

Lowdown: With eight returning starters, the Sooners will likely trot out their best defense in several years, and a healthy Peterson is obviously a major luxury. The season will turn on how well the young offensive line can protect QB Rhett Bomar, who himself needs to develop.

7 -- USC Trojans (12-1)
Key returnees: WR Dwayne Jarrett, WR Steve Smith, C Ryan Kalil, DE Lawrence Jackson

Spring star: FB Ryan Powdrell. Pressed into tailback duties because of injuries, the 260-pounder showed surprising running ability.

Lowdown: The offense will remain a mystery until the fall, when QB John David Booty returns from back surgery and several freshmen arrive to replenish the depleted backfield. The Trojans' front seven should be strong, particularly at linebacker, but the secondary could be a weakness again.

8 -- California Golden Bears (8-4)
Key returnees: RB Marshawn Lynch, RB Justin Forsett, WR DeSean Jackson, CB Daymeion Hughes

Spring star: LB Worrell Williams. The athletic sophomore was a standout in practices and will likely earn a starting spot.

Lowdown: New offensive coordinator Mike Dunbar installed components of the spread offense, a scary thought considering Cal's plethora of weapons. The only question is which quarterback, Nate Longshore or Joe Ayoob, will run it. The defense, extremely young last year, should be improved.

9 -- Michigan Wolverines (7-5)
Key returnees: QB Chad Henne, WR Mario Manningham, RB Mike Hart, LB LaMarr Woodley

Spring star: LB Shawn Crable. With an impressive spring, the junior is on his way to bumping one of UM's returning starters.

Lowdown: With new coordinators on both offense (Mike DeBord, coordinator for the 1997 title team) and defense (Ron English), the Wolverines figure to be less predictable than past seasons. Much of the O-line and backfield have slimmed down in hopes of becoming a quicker running team.

10 -- Auburn Tigers (9-3)
Key returnees: RB Kenny Irons, QB Brandon Cox, DE Marquies Gunn, LB Will Herring

Spring star: LB Tray Blackmon. The hard-hitting redshirt freshman won the starting weakside linebacker job.

Lowdown: New defensive coordinator Will Muschamp (Nick Saban's former aide) spent much of spring tinkering with his personnel, including moving productive safety Herring to linebacker. Irons gives the Tigers a powerful runner, but some new receivers will need to emerge.

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2006, 02:59 PM
"Last year we played a much easier schedule."
Any, and I mean ANY amount of money you'd like to lose, that our opponents on this year's schedule do NOT finish an aggregate 96-46 like they did last year. ANY amount.

shavedmarmoset
4/26/2006, 03:54 PM
Saying Thib is the no. 3 or 4 defensive end we have isn't that far off actually. All four DE's are all-conference caliber and they're all right there in talent. Very hard to judge who is better than who.

picasso
4/26/2006, 06:27 PM
I'm betting NZ wasn't a Sooner fan until sometime around 2000. of course that might be because that's when he hit puberty.

I vote here and now that if we win more than 7 games next season and Bomar has a good year we all get to kick NZ in the junk.

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 06:49 PM
I'm betting NZ wasn't a Sooner fan until sometime around 2000. of course that might be because that's when he hit puberty.

I vote here and now that if we win more than 7 games next season and Bomar has a good year we all get to kick NZ in the junk.

I've been a Sooner fan since I was born. 22 years now.

KC//CRIMSON
4/26/2006, 07:15 PM
I've been a Sooner fan since I was born. 22 years now.

Liar. You've never been a Sooner fan.

Scott D
4/26/2006, 07:28 PM
you know, last year we had a key returnee in LB Chet Ingram and he seemed to do ok ;)

Crimson_Balls
4/26/2006, 08:16 PM
If we can go 4-0 non-conference, beat the ducks on the road and win in Dallas, then I don't see why we can't win the Big XII title. I can see us having an 11 win season if we get momentum early. Opponents fear our program and if we go in with a little swagger then we can win them all. I don't believe anybody on the roster thinks otherwise.

We have the coaching and the talent we just lack the experience. I don't see why we can't have another magical season like 2000. Nobody believed we could do it then and started off ranked 22nd.

All we have to do is hit Oregon in the mouth and beat Texas! All the rest of the chips will fall into place. If we lose early then I'm afraid Bomar might get rattled and never develop into the quarterback he's supposed to.

Soonerfan1993
4/26/2006, 08:24 PM
If Texas upset Ohio State in Austin and OU can run the table and beat Texas they should be #1 in both polls from around October 8th 2006 on.

MiccoMacey
4/26/2006, 08:58 PM
I will say this about Nick:

Even when an entire board is telling him he's wrong on his predictions, he stays true tohis word. He doesn't waver under peer pressure.

Not that I agree with his insight (or lack thereof), but we're talking about something that won't happen for months from now. It's all predictions and guesses.

His predictions are just as accurate as ours are right now.

Even though you're a chowderhead Nick, I respect the fact that you believe what you believe.

NickZeppelin
4/26/2006, 09:37 PM
If Texas upset Ohio State in Austin and OU can run the table and beat Texas they should be #1 in both polls from around October 8th 2006 on.

I don't think that would be an upset. Ohio State lost their entire defense. I don't see em being that good.

Even though you're a chowderhead Nick, I respect the fact that you believe what you believe.

Thank you.

SoonerAtKU
4/27/2006, 01:56 AM
I don't know, all I know is that Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/27/2006, 08:28 AM
Some people such as NickZepp are negative just for the simple fact if his predictions sadly come true he will be the first to say "I told you so"

Which will promptly be followed by a perma-ban ;)

picasso
4/27/2006, 09:07 AM
I will say this about Nick:

Even when an entire board is telling him he's wrong on his predictions, he stays true tohis word. He doesn't waver under peer pressure.

Not that I agree with his insight (or lack thereof), but we're talking about something that won't happen for months from now. It's all predictions and guesses.

His predictions are just as accurate as ours are right now.

that's because he's as dense as dried peanut butter.

I know it's the silly internet and we all have our lousy opinions but this guy seems to think he's some kind of internet football expert. kinda like jkm only without the logic.;)
I like varied opinions but you need a translator for this fella.

"We'll never be as good as Bob Stoops teams were in 2001 because we aren't a very good team right now. and Bob stoops isn't a very good coach. we should have lost 9 games last year in the football season.
We lost our best player on defense last year and he's better then any player we have now.
We also should have lost to Baylor, which isn't a very good football team on the football field. We also have a not very good quarterback and he makes bad decisions when we have the ball on offense whcich is important if you're an offensive quarterback on the football game."

yada yada....

NickZeppelin
4/27/2006, 10:46 AM
Some people such as NickZepp are negative just for the simple fact if his predictions sadly come true he will be the first to say "I told you so"

Which will promptly be followed by a perma-ban ;)

I will never say "I told you so" I'm just not that kind of person. When we were a really good team 2 years ago people were complaining about me being too positive.

mojohornfan
4/27/2006, 10:56 AM
I think we win 6 or 7.

I'm a HORN fan and even I believe you guys win nine! Your defense alone will win 7 for ya!

mojohornfan
4/27/2006, 10:57 AM
Can someone PLEASE take my avatar off...PLEASE?

MiccoMacey
4/27/2006, 11:03 AM
that's because he's as dense as dried peanut butter..

Hey, I agree he's not a smart man. Hence the chowderhead comment.

But most of this stuff on this board is just personal opinion.

And without irrefutable proof to refute an opinion (if there is such a thing), I know I wouldn't change my mind just because you disagree with me. That'd be to weasly.

BTW, I stalked you the other day. Tried to find your house while walking the dogs. Couldn't remember the exact address, or the colors of your house (I was thinking red windows, blue house).

You've been warned. :)

snp
4/27/2006, 11:36 AM
Can someone PLEASE take my avatar off...PLEASE?

Sure, I'll get right on that.

Check back in 5 years and see if I've become Mod yet. Hold your breath!

picasso
4/27/2006, 06:48 PM
Hey, I agree he's not a smart man. Hence the chowderhead comment.

But most of this stuff on this board is just personal opinion.

And without irrefutable proof to refute an opinion (if there is such a thing), I know I wouldn't change my mind just because you disagree with me. That'd be to weasly.

BTW, I stalked you the other day. Tried to find your house while walking the dogs. Couldn't remember the exact address, or the colors of your house (I was thinking red windows, blue house).

You've been warned. :)
I'm not saying he's not smart. I'm saying he's dense, as in hard headed.

Now, anyone who thinks we should have fired Bob Stoops last season, now that's a dumbass.