PDA

View Full Version : It's nearly May

wishbonesooner
4/25/2006, 04:04 PM
How can the loss of all those recruits not be a disaster for Sooner basketball? Where is Capel going to find kids that can play in the Big 12 this late?
I hate to say it, but I hope Kelvin ends up coaching at some Jr. College in a few years. He had some great moments, but he screwed Sooner basketball big time IMO.

toast
4/25/2006, 04:08 PM
KS didn't screw OU, he was r-u-n-o-f-t by disgruntled website posters.

Seriously though, I'm trying to take Capel's point of view that everything is going to work out in the end.

crawfish
4/25/2006, 04:09 PM
Just think how boring it would be if we signed an entire class in the spring and had nothing to talk about. :)

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 04:14 PM
KS didn't screw OU, he was r-u-n-o-f-t by disgruntled website posters.

Seriously though, I'm trying to take Capel's point of view that everything is going to work out in the end.

you forgot a n!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/25/2006, 04:59 PM
How can the loss of all those recruits not be a disaster for Sooner basketball? Where is Capel going to find kids that can play in the Big 12 this late?
I hate to say it, but I hope Kelvin ends up coaching at some Jr. College in a few years. He had some great moments, but he screwed Sooner basketball big time IMO.

Disaster might be a reach. Only serious NCAA sanctions can do that. I do think that without a top PG like Reynolds or at least a better back-up PG than Walker or Sampson that we are probably an NIT level team next year when it looked like we had a top 5 class coming in. Long term I'm not that worried. I think Capel will do fine in the long run. I do think that we were spoiled by the success of Tubbs and Sampson and that many people will freak if we are a 17-13 team next year which is a real possibility.

Crimsontothecore
4/25/2006, 08:16 PM
I know everyone had high hopes for these recruits, but honestly, All of Sampson's 20-win seasons were accomplished without a bench full of McDonalds AA's. We are somehow acting like OU brings in top-5 classes annually. I'll bet there are players still looking for scholarships that are on par with the average player Sampson recruited during his tenure.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/25/2006, 08:37 PM
Disaster might be a reach. Only serious NCAA sanctions can do that. I do think that without a top PG like Reynolds or at least a better back-up PG than Walker or Sampson that we are probably an NIT level team next year when it looked like we had a top 5 class coming in. Long term I'm not that worried. I think Capel will do fine in the long run. I do think that we were spoiled by the success of Tubbs and Sampson and that many people will freak if we are a 17-13 team next year which is a real possibility.
I might compare our situation with Arkansas when they hired Nolan Richardson after
:eddie: left to go to Kentucky. :eddie: made the Razorbacks a big winner, but like Kelvin, there was a time when he sort of ran his course. Nolan didn't have a whole lot of talent to work with his first year there, plus he was putting in his "40 Minutes of Hell" style of ball and it sure wasn't going to work with his current crop. First year there, he goes 12-16, then makes the NIT his second year. Then in his fifth year, they go to the Final Four and would go to two more Final Fours, including winning it all in '94.
Don't judge a coach by what he's done his first two years; look at the long haul. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, Bob Stoops being a perfect example, but I would rather have a coach that is equipped for the long haul rather than a quick fix.

jccouger
4/25/2006, 09:34 PM
Where is Capel going to find kids that can play in the Big 12 this late?

Take some of the football players who want to play basketball. Like gresham, and Murray.

SoonerShark
4/25/2006, 11:22 PM
We will only be 17-13 if we play NAIA schools without a recruiting class this year. I worry we will have a losing record for the first time in 25 years. How will we play with only 7 players? Do we want to fill our empty spots with folks that cannot fill the slots in subsequent years? Kellen Sampson will need to play 8 minutes or more per game, which was his daddy's plan all along, it appears.

If the recruits stay away Kelvin did us much more of a screw job than it originally appeared. Our recruits were staying when first interviewed about our new coach. Now, they are heading for the hills...or the bayou.

SoonerShark
4/25/2006, 11:25 PM
Take some of the football players who want to play basketball. Like gresham, and Murray.

Of course, they will be two months behind in basketball practice and banged up from football games and practices.

wishbonesooner
4/26/2006, 08:43 AM
When I said he screwed us, I didn't mean he did it by leaving. He did it by breaking the rules, and putting the program under a cloud of suspicion. He knew the rules, I don't buy his excuses. Whether the NCAA comes down hard on the program or not, he gave the university a black eye.

SoonerShark
4/26/2006, 09:32 AM
Let's see....Kelvin had 550 calls over three years. That is 183 per year. 15 per month. 3.5 per week. 1/2 of a call each day. That is not too bad. You would be okay if your wife only cheated a couple of times per year, wouldn't you? Strike that last statement.

Crimsontothecore
4/26/2006, 12:07 PM
OU has played B-ball for 98 years and it's all about to go downhill because the 2006 class is turning sour. When I was a young boy many years ago, My grandfather used to tell me that the year 2006 would be the turning point for OU basketball......WHY OH WHY MUST IT BE THIS WAY!:(

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 12:40 PM
We are somehow acting like OU brings in top-5 classes annually.

Actually, we're acting like OU almost never gets a Top 5 recruiting class and now that we finally did they are all apparently leaving.

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 12:42 PM
OU has played B-ball for 98 years and it's all about to go downhill because the 2006 class is turning sour.

That and the fact that we have a brand new coach, no returning super stars, and NCAA sanctions coming our way. Other than that, everything is coming up roses.

P.S. Have you seen our record from the first 72 of those 98 years?

SoonerShark
4/26/2006, 01:50 PM
That and the fact that we have a brand new coach, no returning super stars, and NCAA sanctions coming our way. Other than that, everything is coming up roses.

Except for KU, no other Big 12 team did that well those first 72 years in basketball, either. UT was rarely very good in basketball until the last few years. Of course, with all of its history and the priority placed on it, I am shocked that UT only had football national championships in 63 and 69 prior to this past season (which recognizes that Notre Dame's football team treated UT like the sole altar boy at an Archbishop's convention in the Cotton Bowl after the 1970 regular season).

Crimsontothecore
4/26/2006, 01:58 PM

I guess you're right, I say we shut down the basketball program at OU.....turn out the lights...the parties over.:(

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/26/2006, 04:02 PM
I might compare our situation with Arkansas when they hired Nolan Richardson after
:eddie: left to go to Kentucky. :eddie: made the Razorbacks a big winner, but like Kelvin, there was a time when he sort of ran his course. Nolan didn't have a whole lot of talent to work with his first year there, plus he was putting in his "40 Minutes of Hell" style of ball and it sure wasn't going to work with his current crop. First year there, he goes 12-16, then makes the NIT his second year. Then in his fifth year, they go to the Final Four and would go to two more Final Fours, including winning it all in '94.
Don't judge a coach by what he's done his first two years; look at the long haul. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, Bob Stoops being a perfect example, but I would rather have a coach that is equipped for the long haul rather than a quick fix.

I like that example. Not to say I think it means Capel is going to necessarily lead us to a NC in the next few years but I could see us taking a step back in the next year or two and improving from there.

I think we were spoiled by some of our success under Tubbs and Sampson though and (maybe even some by the success of our football program) to think that when Sampson left that the next coach would just step in and not miss a beat and possibly take us deeper in the tourney immediately. I was hoping a top recruiting class could have helped us cheat the rebuilding process. It doesn't look like it will shake out that way. I think if your expectations for next year at this point is 20-22 wins and going to the second round or deeper of the NCAA that you are likely to be disappointed.

On the other hand I don't think the program is "doomed". I just don't see any more serious NCAA penalties, our coach doesn't get drunk and p*ss on middle schools and drive into trees, there are plenty of good players that will want to come to OU if not right now, next year(including possibly a blue chip younger brother of a current player), there is excitement over a new coach and while I think Capel will be good there isn't anything preventing us from getting another coach if he doesn't work out.

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 05:13 PM
I guess you're right, I say we shut down the basketball program at OU.....turn out the lights...the parties over.:(

No, what we should do is demand/expect a NC this year instead! Woot!

OUstud
4/26/2006, 06:23 PM
Well, one good thing that could come out of them reconsidering is that Capel doesn't call them as much...

AllAboutThe'O'
4/26/2006, 11:07 PM
I like that example. Not to say I think it means Capel is going to necessarily lead us to a NC in the next few years but I could see us taking a step back in the next year or two and improving from there.

I think we were spoiled by some of our success under Tubbs and Sampson though and (maybe even some by the success of our football program) to think that when Sampson left that the next coach would just step in and not miss a beat and possibly take us deeper in the tourney immediately. I was hoping a top recruiting class could have helped us cheat the rebuilding process. It doesn't look like it will shake out that way. I think if your expectations for next year at this point is 20-22 wins and going to the second round or deeper of the NCAA that you are likely to be disappointed.

On the other hand I don't think the program is "doomed". I just don't see any more serious NCAA penalties, our coach doesn't get drunk and p*ss on middle schools and drive into trees, there are plenty of good players that will want to come to OU if not right now, next year(including possibly a blue chip younger brother of a current player), there is excitement over a new coach and while I think Capel will be good there isn't anything preventing us from getting another coach if he doesn't work out.
Another great example: Sherri Coale won just five games in her first year as OU head women's hoop coach. Whatever happened to her anyway?
:confused:
And Capel's mentor, Mike Krzyzewski, didn't exactly set the world on fire either his first few years at Duke. Hard as it is to believe, Duke alums were practically begging the A.D. to fire Coach K.

suncoastsooner7
4/27/2006, 08:12 AM
Another great example: Sherri Coale won just five games in her first year as OU head women's hoop coach. Whatever happened to her anyway?
:confused:
And Capel's mentor, Mike Krzyzewski, didn't exactly set the world on fire either his first few years at Duke. Hard as it is to believe, Duke alums were practically begging the A.D. to fire Coach K.

I remember as a kid living in North Carolina and Coach K being on the hot seat. Couldn't beat Virginia or NC State was the knock. This was before they even attempted to compare themselves to UNC.

stoopified
4/30/2006, 05:51 PM
Relax football season is only 4 months awaay and we can forget this hoops hysteria.:)