PDA

View Full Version : So Who Should OU Play In Dallas Every Year?

FaninAma
4/25/2006, 01:15 PM
I think OU should sign a separate deal with the city of Dallas to play a top flight team there every year in place of the scumbags from Austin. It could be Nebraska, LSU, Miami, etc. It needs to be a really high profile team with the lone constant being OU as one of the teams. I think this would solidfy OU's recruiting base in Dallas and really put the scumbags from Austin on the defensive should they go ahead and pull out of the RRS.

Vaevictis
4/25/2006, 01:26 PM
No point. If we can't make a deal in Dallas with the current team, why would you want to reward Dallas for circle-jerking themselves while we lost the game we really want?

sooner n houston
4/25/2006, 01:29 PM
Game on its way out at Cotton Bowl.
Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The clock is still ticking.

You can all but hear time running out on the Texas-Oklahoma football game, as we know it. And we knew it for 77 consecutive years as one of the top attractions in all of sports.

MORE KIRK BOHLS

Maybe, it will remain as such.

Probably not in Dallas.

"I think it's 80-20 that Texas will leave," said someone with connections to both Texas and the Cotton Bowl.

Personally, I take a real-estate agent's tack to this scenario. It's all about location, location, location. And I like it where it is.

And barring a change of heart by Texas — or firm, credible promises that the City of Dallas really will renovate the stadium with more than a Band-Aid and maybe even add a dozen luxury boxes — I believe sadly that the location will soon change.

Come 2009, I expect we will see the Texas-Oklahoma game for the last time at the broken-down Cotton Bowl. But that might not be the end of a marquee football matchup involving the Longhorns in the Metroplex.

Texas has had internal conversations about playing the Arkansas Razorbacks every year in Dallas, presumably at the Dallas Cowboys' new palace under construction in Arlington.

Texas officials will not confirm this, and it's only in the talking stage. Probably won't ever happen, but who thought Texas-OU would ever consider leaving Dallas?

This, however, will happen: Texas and Arkansas will soon announce another home-and-home series in 2008 and 2009, and if the games are anything like the ones in 2003-04, they'll be wildly entertaining.

Those who despise Arkansas adamantly oppose such games because they would enhance the Hogs' recruiting in Texas. That's true, but does anything short of scholarship limits hurt Mack Brown's recruiting? And if the renewed rivalry would help Arkansas, it might hurt OU, which desperately needs such a toehold in this state.

Dallas and the State Fair have eagerly pushed for a commitment from Texas — they already have one from OU — so they can put a $50 million bond proposal to renovate the Cotton Bowl on the November ballot. They need to know sooner, probably by early May.

It seems Texas is slow-playing the issue long enough so that the bond package may be removed for lack of any assurance from the Longhorns. An Oklahoma official said the Sooners would consider playing another team (not A&M) in Dallas if the Texas series there ends.

Texas doesn't want to be the villain in this episode, and it doesn't want to totally snub Dallas, a fertile recruiting area for the Horns.

DeLoss Dodds, Texas' athletic director, says, "We've got three more years left on the (Cotton Bowl) contract, and we're looking at all our options." He added that the school expects to take a final stance on the issue by the end of May.

"They really want to make it work," Dodds said Monday. "My guess is we're trying to make progress."

Getting anyone on the schedule is tough these days. Texas is talking to San Diego State about a future date and is visiting with Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, New Mexico State, Texas-El Paso and Central Florida about games. Texas could even play these teams on the road.

If they do move Texas-OU, I would endorse a regular non-conference series with Arkansas, although my preference as a replacement series would be an annual game with Notre Dame in the Metroplex. The two schools have tried to arrange future meetings, but Texas wants to play in September and Notre Dame wants to play later in the season, which would disrupt the Longhorns' Big 12 schedule.

Barring that, what would be wrong with substituting elite opponents for this neutral-site game? Rotate games with Arkansas, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Miami, Florida, Tennessee and Penn State in Dallas. For television, it would be football nirvana.

Bottom line, I prefer that Texas-OU remain at a neutral site and hope the two schools would realize what they will lose and rectify it by at least shifting the game to the Cowboys' home.

Maybe the State Fair could accompany them. Of the four weekends the fairgrounds are open, the second week in October is clearly the most well-attended.

Without question, Texas-OU will lose some — if not most of its charm — if it relocates.

The rivalry will still be as intense. The animosity between the fans will be just as heated. Grandmas will still flip off the team buses. The play on the field will suffer no dropoff, assuming Adrian Peterson or his successors can drive down here in their test-drive Lexuses.

But by making this series a home-and-home affair and moving it to the respective campuses, the schools will irrevocably shatter one of most enduring and special athletic events. There'd be no split stadium. Tradition would take a hit. The individual ticket price for the Texas-OU game would skyrocket.

Why, just the other day, USA Today listed a seat on the 50-yard line at the Texas-OU game as one of its "10 great places for a hot-ticket view of sports."

It was.

Probably no more.

The blame should be spread around. The City of Dallas let one of the classic stadiums in all of college football fall into disrepair and totally took for granted Texas' and OU's undying devotion. Big mistake, that.

Texas shouldn't be the only fall guy. Truth be known, the Cotton Bowl game doesn't even want to stay in the stadium that is its namesake. It has to share the blame and has been noticeably quiet.

Almost assuredly, once it becomes obvious that the Longhorns and Sooners will no longer come to Dallas every October, the good Cotton Bowl folks will shrug their shoulders, follow suit and announce they will move their game west down I-30.

Dallas had better be careful. At this rate, the Mavs and Stars will be headed to Waxahachie.

[email protected]

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/04/25bohls.html

snp
4/25/2006, 01:31 PM
I doubt any of those teams would be interested. Why would they give up a home game every year for a good chance they'll lose? Plus, it's not very close to any of those schools as well.

Maybe Tech or A&M would be able to do this, but those two are in talks about having a Dallas game as well.

We kick *** like we should, we won't have to go to Dallas to recruit; they'll come to us.

westcoast_sooner
4/25/2006, 01:35 PM
If the idiots in Dallas and the other idiots 3 hours further down I-35 can't get together on this deal, there should be no problem in signing our own deal to showcase our program in Jerry's new digs or at Reliant in Houston.

I am a traditionalist on this. OU should play texas every 2nd Saturday in October at the Cotton Bowl. That's the way it should be. But if a bunch of idiots want to turn the great tradition of the RRS into a home-and-home, it makes sense to me to schedule a game at a neutral site once a year against a good opponent.

sooner n houston
4/25/2006, 01:40 PM
If the idiots in Dallas and the other idiots 3 hours further down I-35 can't get together on this deal, there should be no problem in signing our own deal to showcase our program in Jerry's new digs or at Reliant in Houston.

I am a traditionalist on this. OU should play texas every 2nd Saturday in October at the Cotton Bowl. That's the way it should be. But if a bunch of idiots want to turn the great tradition of the RRS into a home-and-home, it makes sense to me to schedule a game at a neutral site once a year against a good opponent.
Totally agree! We need to keep apresence in Dallas each year just for recruting.

SicEmBaylor
4/25/2006, 02:02 PM
How about us?

You'd have a lot more seats available.

Desert Sapper
4/25/2006, 02:10 PM
I vote for either Miami or ND. Both of those schools like to recruit in Dallas, and both are traditional rivals of OU. I just can't honestly force myself to believe that the powers at Saxet are this arrogant. Put your ego on a shelf for a second and make this work. It pains me to think that somebody actually thinks it's a good idea to go home and home.

FaninAma
4/25/2006, 02:12 PM
The point is to take advantage of the scumbags' from Austin greed and intransience on the issue. OU comes out smelling like a rose and they come out smelling like the stuff their stupid cow mascot leaves on the football field.

Octavian
4/25/2006, 02:22 PM
no one wins here.

Dallas politicians maybe a bunch of lazy bastards but the blame ultimately rests w/ our rivals...this rivalry will end b/c they no longer want it

SoonerJedi
4/25/2006, 02:32 PM
In 2001 it was Oklahoma boosters wondering why they couldn't have a regular home-home series instead of going into Texas every year and playing in a place that clearly favored the longhorns. I guess everything comes full cirlce eventually.

The tradition of playing at the Stat Fair will be missed, however the Cotton Bowl isn't exactly state of the art anymore.

caphorns
4/25/2006, 02:34 PM
An Oklahoma official said the Sooners would consider playing another team (not A&M) in Dallas if the Texas series there ends

The only one I imagine that's left would be Tech. But I thought Tech and A&M were already hooked up for an annual match in Dallas??

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 02:41 PM
Obviously, they would need to be regional names to make it work. I would say LSU or A&M would be logical choices. I don't think LSU would work with Miami, FSU, Tenn, and ND already on the schedule and there is no way Joe C. is moving those from Norman. So it is really down to A&M. That is the only team I could see that would generate enough interest and not add too much to our non-conference schedule. I do not see OU playing an annual game in Dallas after 2009.

The fact that Texas is pretty much replacing OU with Arkansas really shows their p envy. I truly believe those higher up at UT think OU out of Dallas significantly hurts the OU program. I don't think so due to playing 2-3 games in Texas every year, but we will see.

I understand the whole dallas didn't step up thing...but I do not see why we can't play it at Jerry World. We would get over the state fair thing....

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:07 PM
I would rather see the game go to Jerry World any day before going home and home. Split the crowd at the 50, easier parking, less crime and the opportunity for a night game. I think OU would go for it. As for the small peckered whorns, doubtful.

Besides, the early kickoff games pretty much take away the fair atmosphere anyway.

Pigface1
4/25/2006, 03:17 PM

No doubt about it. They come from a sorry *** conference to the Big 8 and expanded it to the Big 12, and now they're pulling this shyt. F' Texas. Hook 'em

caphorns
4/25/2006, 03:17 PM
vegas - I don't think there's consensus among the UT "higher ups" but nobody of importance is seriously threatening to cut their foundation $$$ if DeLoss pulls the game from Dallas. Why? Because alot of the $$$ people just don't like going to the Cotton Bowl. While some idiots may see this as strategic from a recruiting standpoint, bringing Arky into Dallas every year with home team privileges would be wholly against that grain. I really think this all boils down to the race for more $$$. As DeLoss sees it, he has the potential to create a schedule with a guarantee of 1 marquee home game a year (not true currently) and 3 rivalry games overall (Arky, OU, ATM). That means he can pull in RRS type $$$ from the Arky game while increasing his take on home box seats.

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:23 PM
Although it is against my Christian morals and ethics, if the whorns ever play in Norman I will make it my personal goal to spit and curse every burnt orange-clad fan I can in hopes of having a 100% pro-OU crowd.

Better yet, we should just join a different conference. No Husker rivalry and no OU-Texas? What good is the Big 12 anyway without those? Bedlam? Please.

Herr Scholz
4/25/2006, 03:25 PM
As good an AD as he's been, Deloss Dodds is going to go down as the Bud Adams of Longhorn football. I think it's a terrible idea to 1) move the OU game from the Cotton Bowl and 2) give those jerks from Arkansas the recruiting toehold in Texas they lost when they left the SWC. I would support moving the OU game to Jerryworld every time over home and home. Nothing will ever compare to the Cotton Bowl though.

OUstud
4/25/2006, 03:34 PM
It's Dodds' and Joe C.'s fault. They're so ate up with the money aspects of college sports instead of tradition that they are ruining the one rivalry game in the country that has been played at a constant place at a constant time.

"Although it is against my Christian morals and ethics, if the whorns ever play in Norman I will make it my personal goal to spit and curse every burnt orange-clad fan I can in hopes of having a 100% pro-OU crowd.

Better yet, we should just join a different conference. No Husker rivalry and no OU-Texas? What good is the Big 12 anyway without those? Bedlam? Please."

And I agree with you 100% on this. If they come here, they will be longing for their walk down the tunnel on the OU side compared to the things that will be said/dumped on them. Think Pacer players going into the locker room following the Malace at the Palace. And I think that we need to just go independent if this happens. What is the point of sticking around?

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:34 PM
I would also miss the Cotton Bowl. However, Jerry World offers safer, upscale amenities while still allowing 50,000 Sooner fans and 50,000 the opportunity to stand face to face. Without that fan interaction, the rivalry will cease to exist. Sadly, that would make OSU a rival since those would be the only fans we could interact with on a large scale.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/25/2006, 03:45 PM
so, it's Tuesday, and I can say texass sucks? perfect!

caphorns
4/25/2006, 03:56 PM
Although it is against my Christian morals and ethics, if the whorns ever play in Norman I will make it my personal goal to spit and curse every burnt orange-clad fan I can in hopes of having a 100% pro-OU crowd.

Lol. This is nothing compared to Fayettenam or Columbine Ohio. I don't think you guys have enough lowlifes to compare with those 2 locales. You may have to start recruiting the backwoods.

TexasLidig8r
4/25/2006, 04:02 PM
sigh.... :(

There is no joy in Mudville... Mighty Casey has struck out.

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 04:04 PM
LSU's been trying to do a series in Reliant with someone for years now. Nobody wants to increase our recruiting presence in the state of Texas.

We may have been the ones to withdraw from the aTm series, but the ball is squarely in Bill Byrne's court now.

Many BCS “name” programs that would be attractive draws are not willing to play us home-and-home. Many of these “name” schools that would satisfy your wants would love to play us at their place and then in Dallas or Houston, where they can have a showcase for recruiting. That's just one reason why the LSU series won't be renewed.

We're all in the same boat – tough conference schedules and, in most cases, a conference championship 13th game, so we need games at Kyle Field where you don't have to return the trip, and games early where we can hopefully play a lot of players and give our young players game experience for the conference race. We also, ideally, would like to schedule trips that are good destinations for our fans and where there is a solid base of Aggies in the area.

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 04:05 PM
While some idiots may see this as strategic from a recruiting standpoint, bringing Arky into Dallas every year with home team privileges would be wholly against that grain.

So do you really think Arkansas can do major damage in the state of Texas playing a home game in Texas? Can they really pull any significant players away from OU or Texas? I doubt it.

trey
4/25/2006, 04:14 PM
**** the cotton bowl, lets go kick their *** in austin every other year

CincySooner
4/25/2006, 04:21 PM
I am truly disappointed that its going to end like this.

I really dont have any other words than that.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/25/2006, 04:25 PM
Does this mean we can't get drunk at the west end and beat up whorns every october?

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 04:30 PM
This will NEVER happen, but I wonder how quick an SEC or Big 10 would say yes to OU?

No Nebraska every year, No Dallas...

Scott D
4/25/2006, 04:32 PM
If Texas pulls out like expected, I'd go with Nebraska every year in Dallas.

soonervegas
4/25/2006, 04:34 PM
Scott D...it would have to be Kansas City. Which is a brillant idea, but it would require a 9 game Big 12 season.

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 04:43 PM
This will NEVER happen, but I wonder how quick an SEC or Big 10 would say yes to OU?

No Nebraska every year, No Dallas...

interesting thought. have joe c. call up skip and offer a 50/50 arrangement at reliant or dallas.

Scott D
4/25/2006, 04:44 PM
Scott D...it would have to be Kansas City. Which is a brillant idea, but it would require a 9 game Big 12 season.

I'd be alright with not playing Aggy (south of the border version) every year.

royalfan5
4/25/2006, 05:19 PM
If Texas pulls out like expected, I'd go with Nebraska every year in Dallas.
Might go for that in Kansas City, or maybe Dallas on a every other year basis, but not permantly in Dallas. Since Nebraska's main recruiting focus is the West Coast, and we already get games in Texas anyway. Plus Nebraska has always recruited Missouri well, so NU much rather play in Kansas City than Dallas.

Mr. Nuke
4/25/2006, 05:24 PM
Might go for that in Kansas City, or maybe Dallas on a every other year basis, but not permantly in Dallas. Since Nebraska's main recruiting focus is the West Coast, and we already get games in Texas anyway. Plus Nebraska has always recruited Missouri well, so NU much rather play in Kansas City than Dallas.
And KC is a heck of a lot closer and more neutral for Nebraska than Dallas.

caphorns
4/25/2006, 05:28 PM
So do you really think Arkansas can do major damage in the state of Texas playing a home game in Texas? Can they really pull any significant players away from OU or Texas? I doubt it.

Yes and yes. Arky did much better recruiting the State of Texas in its SWC days. They have GREAT facilities (seriously) and a rabid fanbase. They also have lower admission standards as I recall. Nutt's days are also probably numbered and I can't assume they'll always have a bonehead like him in charge. They are nonetheless somewhat forgotten here - especially since they've found their way square into SEC mediocrity. But, to give them a marquee rivalry game in Dallas every year and the ability to entertain recruits at a Dallas game every other year would be a BAD, BAD, HORRIBLE, GODFORSAKEN idea. We simply shouldn't do this FOR THE SAKE OF THE POOR DALLAS KIDS who might make that bad decision.

PrideTrombone
4/25/2006, 05:33 PM
interesting thought. have joe c. call up skip and offer a 50/50 arrangement at reliant or dallas.

But we just got RID of Les Miles and his insane raspy-throated ramblings.

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 05:43 PM
I say screw all this and have an 11 game conference schedule every year and 1 or 2 tuneup games to start the season against a scrub team. No need for conference championships and everyone plays everyone.

badger
4/25/2006, 06:30 PM
How about us?

You'd have a lot more seats available.

BAY-LOR! BAY-LOR! BAY-LOR!

Oh wait... you jammed our Norman traffic by playing us into overtime last year...

NEG-SPEK! NEG-SPEK! NEG-SPEK!

PS:j/k! :D

FaninAma
4/25/2006, 06:52 PM
I think it is very evident to anybody with a brain that a certain member of the Big 12(former member of the SWC) is not happy unless they control the agenda of the league and they will pull every string and use every means in their power to achieve that goal.

OU really needs to look into joing another conference. Like a previous poster said....the Big 12 has seriously damaged or is in the process of damaging 2 of OU's marquee games....the Nebraska game and the RRS. Slowly but surely the Big 12 is starting to look as mediocre and stale as the old SWC.

David Boren and the President of Nebraska need to get together and organize the non-Texas programs to fight this trend.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:10 PM
Texas is the only team OU should play in Dallas ever year. OU should play Nebraska every year Thanksgiving weekend. But that won't happen.

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 07:32 PM
Texas is the only team OU should play in Dallas ever year. OU should play Nebraska every year Thanksgiving weekend. But that won't happen.

The traditional rivalries in college football is what makes the sport unique and the best.

OU should play UT in Dallas in a different venue {old/new Cowboys stadium}. Yes the Texas state fair is a great backdrop, bur if the city is giving the middle finger to us, then go elsewhere. Alabama-Auburn was big when the game was first on a home and home series in the 80s?, but eventually it phased down . . . OU-TEXAS is a great tradition that needs to stay where is will continue its place in history.

Octavian
4/25/2006, 07:48 PM
If I get baned for this rant then so be it...

Look, if Texas is gonna be a buncha pussies and pull out of the best college football rivalry on the planet....then **** THEM....**** Dodd...**** Mack Brown...**** Darrel Royal...and **** any other dickless whorn who is more worried about dollar signs than having to compete w/ an equal on the football field.

If they do this and leave the RRS...they're bitches....it's their historical scar....in 50 years, Sooner dads and grandads will be telling their sons and grandsons:

"We used to play in their state at a neutral field and it was amazing. Generations of Okies and Texans met every year in Dallas during October and it was a football fan's Christmas....But they pussed out...they couldn't hang....we killed them five years in a row and their big money donors starting looking for a way out. Their average fans didn't object and the rivalry was ruined. Those two fingers stickin up on their hands are a sexual invitation to their boyfriend....they are little bitches that couldn't hang on the FIELD."

If I was a Texas fan/alumnus/supporter/donor I'd be ****ing embarrassed by the leadership and actions of my administration. Shame on all of you.

If you don't wanna continue the most heated and competitive rivalry in college football than **** YOU.

Rant over...if you all wanna bane me, then I accept that.

Vaevictis
4/25/2006, 08:10 PM
Considering that we keep getting forced to play OSU on Thanksgiving weekend because it's good for the conference... if we wanted to, why couldn't we get the conference to force a neutral site for the OU/UT game?

(I mean, the RRS has to be good for conf exposure)

goingoneight
4/25/2006, 08:46 PM
no one wins here.

Dallas politicians maybe a bunch of lazy bastards but the blame ultimately rests w/ our rivals...this rivalry will end b/c they no longer want it

That's because they're scared of it... wait until the day comes that no one cares about those types because they made such a stupid choice to erase a tradition that puts them on the map. I mean, in the last 35 years... who has cared about them until the second week in October? No one but the different teams they face on Saturdays during the fall, that's who.

It's Tuesday, so before I say that dirty word, I'm OUt!!!

WestAustinSooner
4/25/2006, 09:32 PM
I don't give a crap how bad the cotton bowl or any other venue is. The game is tradition like no other. A home and home ends it, period. Its all about money and the rich Texans wanting more box seats and being afraid to showcase all that Texas talent in dallas. Pu$$ies.

Dio
4/25/2006, 09:51 PM
I agree with everything Octavian said, and add this: Some other people in this thread have mentioned us leaving our conference over this deal. To hell with that- if texass is too arrogant to be in our conference that we invited them into, then F*** them, they can go scrape up the C-USA dregs they used to run with and revive their ****ty old conference.

Cam
4/25/2006, 09:59 PM
Preach on

If I get baned for this rant then so be it...

Look, if Texas is gonna be a buncha pussies and pull out of the best college football rivalry on the planet....then **** THEM....**** Doss...**** Mack Brown...**** Darrel Royal...and **** any other dickless whorn who is more worried about dollar signs than having to compete w/ an equal on the football field.

If they do this and leave the RRS...they're bitches....it's their historical scar....in 50 years, Sooner dads and grandads will be telling their sons and grandsons:

"We used to play in their state at a neutral field and it was amazing. Generations of Okies and Texans met every year in Dallas during October and it was a football fan's Christmas....But they pussed out...they couldn't hang....we killed them five years in a row and their big money donors starting looking for a way out. Their average fans didn't object and the rivalry was ruined. Those two fingers stickin up on their hands are a sexual invitation to their boyfriend....they are little bitches that couldn't hang on the FIELD."

If I was a Texas fan/alumnus/supporter/donor I'd be ****ing embarrassed by the leadership and actions of my administration. Shame on all of you.

If you don't wanna continue the most heated and competitive rivalry in college football than **** YOU.

Rant over...if you all wanna bane me, then I accept that.

SoonerShark
4/25/2006, 11:12 PM
Even if the Cotton Bowl is crap, it only requires 4 hours out of your year. You are not living there. The tight proximity makes it even better. OU's new deck provides a horrid view, much too far from the field. I have refused to sit in my 40 yard line, new upper deck seats since trying them out the first game. I prefer being closer to the action than knee room. The aura at the Cotton Bowl is wonderful. Keep the OU-ut game where it is. Tradition should count for something. Of course, the money folks may continue to drain the magic out of life's pleasures.

lufkinaggie07
4/25/2006, 11:22 PM
Why would OU play anyone besides a Texas team in Dallas, you would really go to another state to play Miami, LSU, that makes no sense, that would be like A&M or Texas going to Oklahoma City to play LSU or Miami.

FaninAma
4/25/2006, 11:24 PM
If the morons in Austin decide to opt out of Dallas OU should opt out of the 2008 game being played in Dallas and make UT come to Norman that year. Screw letting them ruin the rivalry and get the first home game in 2009.

Octavian
4/25/2006, 11:26 PM
whoever has the most national championships by 2009 should have the game played at their home stadium forever

C&CDean
4/25/2006, 11:31 PM
What in the name of Hagrid' turd are you people doing? It may be Wednesday here, but it's still Tuesday there. I oughta ban everybody who posted in this thread.