PDA

View Full Version : Will the US Government take action on illegal immigration?

slickdawg
4/25/2006, 12:47 PM
Do you believe that the Senate, Congress, and the President will actually
take sincere and significant actions to try and stop illegal immigration?

votes are anonymous.

yermom
4/25/2006, 12:48 PM
that would take work and money and stuff

OUDoc
4/25/2006, 12:50 PM
What I don't get:
Illegal immigrants can't vote, it's a no-lose situation for politicians. (Okay, their legal family members can vote, but my point still stands.)

slickdawg
4/25/2006, 12:52 PM
The illegals significantly tax our infrastrucure, health care, education -
everything while contributing nothing.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/25/2006, 12:53 PM
Dead people aren't supposed to vote, either, but some manage to, somehow.

IronSooner
4/25/2006, 12:58 PM
It's tricky. They take the crappy jobs most don't want, often pay into benefits programs they can't draw out of, sometimes pay some sort of taxes (at least buying stuff), but on the other hand drain social stuff like health care and education.

I'm betting the political types will pass some sort of symbolic thing that never changes anything.

Hatfield
4/25/2006, 01:03 PM

a bit oversimplified but i understand where you are coming from.

politicians won't really do anything other than talk tough...that way they garner support from their mindless drones when they talk tough, but the keep the support of the nationals to be effected when they do nothing...like you said no-lose situation for them.

yermom
4/25/2006, 01:04 PM
It's tricky. They take the crappy jobs most don't want, often pay into benefits programs they can't draw out of, sometimes pay some sort of taxes (at least buying stuff), but on the other hand drain social stuff like health care and education.

I'm betting the political types will pass some sort of symbolic thing that never changes anything.

i guess that qualifies as "trying"

Ike
4/25/2006, 01:23 PM
this is an election year. which means there will be lots of saber rattling, but no real action. They'll wanna keep the issue on the table so they can campaign on a platform of "elect me and I'll save yer jorbs!!!"

mdklatt
4/25/2006, 01:25 PM

Contributing nothing? They're providing necessary labor. They pay the sales taxes, property taxes, gasoline taxes, cigarette taxes, alcohol taxes, etc, that mostly pays for our infrastructure, schools, and health care. The stuff they're not paying for (welfare, Social Security, etc) is stuff they can't collect anyway. They're preferable to the lazy asses who are collecting welfare and SS without having contributed to it.

We need these people, so we had better clamp down on the "illegal" part rather than the "immigration" part. I don't like the idea of amnesty at all, but that may be the only practical short term solution. The long term solution is to make it easier to immigrate here.

mrowl
4/25/2006, 01:25 PM
yes, since you didn't put a timeline on it.

maybe this year, maybe in 5 years.

Harry Beanbag
4/25/2006, 03:19 PM
Contributing nothing? They're providing necessary labor. They pay the sales taxes, property taxes, gasoline taxes, cigarette taxes, alcohol taxes, etc, that mostly pays for our infrastructure, schools, and health care. The stuff they're not paying for (welfare, Social Security, etc) is stuff they can't collect anyway. They're preferable to the lazy asses who are collecting welfare and SS without having contributed to it.

We need these people, so we had better clamp down on the "illegal" part rather than the "immigration" part. I don't like the idea of amnesty at all, but that may be the only practical short term solution. The long term solution is to make it easier to immigrate here.

As long as they figure out some way to shut our ****ing borders down, I don't really care if they do anything about the legendary 12 million.

mdklatt
4/25/2006, 03:27 PM
As long as they figure out some way to shut our ****ing borders down

Exactly. All the demagoging on both sides of the issue has obscured what should be our main goal--border security. If you make easier for the harmless immigrants to cross the border legally you free up resources to catch all the bad guys trying to sneak across.

SicEmBaylor
4/25/2006, 03:59 PM
What I don't get:
Illegal immigrants can't vote, it's a no-lose situation for politicians. (Okay, their legal family members can vote, but my point still stands.)

Well currently that is true of course, illegal can not vote (hopefully). However, pandering to illegal immigrants and therefore their legal counterparts is benefital to both political parties. The Republican Party's future electoral success is dependent on creating inroads with some minority group, and their best hope is with hispanics. On the other side, the Democratic Party has more or less adopted a policy of abandoning its white blue collar base (espeically in the mid-west) who are increasingly moving to the Republican Party anyway and replacing them with newly legalized Mexicans who will gain citizenship through a liberal amnesty program.

jeremy885
4/25/2006, 05:09 PM
I guess the illegals can vote in this poll

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/25/immigration.poll/index.html

I thought they did a poll similiar to this a month or two ago and none of the amnesty questions got above 50%.

Scott D
4/25/2006, 05:10 PM
Pan-dor-a's Box....

end of story.

mdklatt
4/25/2006, 05:42 PM
Pan-dor-a's Box....

GIS is NSFW! :eek:

sooneron
4/25/2006, 08:21 PM
I think we'll do a whole lot of nothing. Does that count?