PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams over Reggie Bush at #1?

Sooner Among The Pack
4/25/2006, 12:07 PM
If you are keeping up with the NFL draft, you've probably heard that the Houston Texans have exchanged proposals with both Reggie Bush and "Super" Mario Williams, a DE out of NC State. Here in Raleigh, people are really giddy about the possibility that Houston might select Mario Williams #1 rather than Bush.

Williams is A FREAK. He's 6-7, 295 lbs who runs 4.6 40. Many critics of Super Mario point to him not being as big an on-field producer as his physical stature would suggest. He did earn All-ACC honors two straight seasons despite facing frequent double teams, and two of his line mates (John McCargo and Manny Lawson) are also projected 1st round picks.

The Chicago Tribune's Michael Smith wrote this article on WHY Houston should select Williams over Bush:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2419503

Another thing to point out is that Houston doesn't NEED a RB. Domanick Davis has been solid, and they have former aggie Vernard Mornency #2 on the depth chart. Also, as many times as David Carr hits the turf, one would think that OL should be a top priority, but UVA's DeBrickshaw Ferguson, the #1 prospect on OL, hasn't been discussed.

Once in a lifetime athelte in Bush or an upgrade on D? If your Houston on Saturday, who do you take #1 and why?

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 12:15 PM
Tough to say. Scat backs in the NFL don't always pan out. Sayers and Sanders had great careers and were also great in college, but there's always that risk with a guy like Reggie. I hate to say it, but I might have been forced into dealing Carr in exchange for OL help and an upgrade on D and then drafted Whineart with the #1 pick. Any way you want to cut it, the Texans are still a long way from winning or getting close to a Super Bowl and one college player isn't going to get you there immediately anyway.

soonerinabilene
4/25/2006, 12:25 PM
if you wanna sell tickets, get reggie bush. if you want to address the problems of your team, upgrade the d with williams OR trade the # 1 pick for another 1st rounder and an o-lineman.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/25/2006, 12:40 PM
Wanted to add that on Dan Patrick's ESPN radio show just a few minutes ago, Chris Mortensen said that the "signability" of both Bush and Williams is playing a big factor on who Houston chooses. Williams would be easy to sign since he is lobbying hard to get drafted #1, where as Bush may be harder to ink before training camp, something Houston's GM says is a neccessity. Pointed out the new CBA also has a big impact on the contract structure since more money can be guaranteed.

Mortensen said that Bush and Williams scout grades were almost identical and that at least 7 teams had Williams ranked ahead of Bush, and that might also play a factor in Houston's decision.

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 12:50 PM
I'd love to see that cheatin' fool not get picked first.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 01:07 PM
Bush wants to go #1 too, so the Texans can use the "well, Williams will sign for $XXX" tactic.

shavedmarmoset
4/25/2006, 01:21 PM
Being a Houston fan, I would have to say Bush. At least the fans will get excited for him. Davis is a decent pro back but in all fairness, Bush brings so much more to the table than Davis ever could. A DE like williams is very tempting but he won't bring the excitement to the team that Bush can bring.

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:13 PM
If the Texans wanted to sell tickets, wouldn't Radio Young be the preferred #1? Those $90 autographs after the game would get old though.

Harry Beanbag
4/25/2006, 03:14 PM
I've thought all along that Houston would trade out the top spot. Anything they are saying right now is most likely disinformation anyway.

arlington
4/25/2006, 03:18 PM
I dont have a problem with taking Williams, but i do have a problem with taking him #1..If youre going to take him, trade down a spot or 2 and you can probably still get him..Houston needs everything!

caphorns
4/25/2006, 03:27 PM
It looks like nobody wants to trade up to the No. 1 or the Texans would have made the deal. That tells me that either one of 2 things: (1) most NFL experts don't think there is a single prospect out there worth Alex Smith' bonus money or (2) the top several prospects are all of equivalent value. I tend to think the latter. Teams who may be high on Reggie Bush are just as high on Super Mario, VY, Matt Leinart or D Brick. I really think you have an unprecedented Top 5 here. Any one of these guys are probably good enough to be No. 1 in another year. That means that the most valuable pick in this draft may be the No. 4 or No. 5 pick (because you are getting a hell of a bargain - if you are drafting for best player available) Who would have known that it could have paid off for the Texans to have lost the Reggie Bowl.

I think the Texans - in light of what I just said - should clearly draft Super Mario. He's a superstar. I'd bet he's willing to sign a deal to guarantee No. 1. And most importantly - he fills a big need for Houston in their transition to the 4-3.

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 03:37 PM
that's scary for the new orleans saints if that does happen. man.

if bush somehow drops to #2 look for new orleans to package that to shore up the OLine, LB and DB corps.

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:38 PM
I think skill players are the most risky. For every Barry Sanders or Peyton Manning, you get a dozen Rashaan Salaams and Ryan Leafs (or is it Leaves?). Defense players and lineman don't wash out quite as high of a rate and, therefore, seem a little safer of a pick, especially if you can get another pick or save a few million for free agents.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/25/2006, 08:19 PM
Teams who may be high on Reggie Bush are just as high on Super Mario, VY, Matt Leinart or D Brick. I really think you have an unprecedented Top 5 here. Any one of these guys are probably good enough to be No. 1 in another year.

Totally with you here. Depending on the teams needs, Bush, Leinart, Young, D'Brick, or Super Mario could be top slot money. And like you, I think given Houston's current situation, Super Mario or D'Brick make most sense. Sure, Bush will help you sell tickets and jerseys, but if the front office is committed to making the team better, I'm not sure how Bush really improves you as much as Williams or Ferguson.

Since HOU committed the roster bonus to Carr, they clearly think he's capable of being a franchise QB. Bush is going to give you as much of a receiving threat as anything else (heck, Bush might have better hands than anyone else on the team), but I don't know if that will keep Carr off the turf. Maybe you can get him some quick swing passes, but otherwise, I don't see it panning out that well for Houston.

That said, Houston will probably still take Bush. :D

the_edge
4/26/2006, 12:26 AM
Maybe no team will take them up on it, but if I were the Texans' GM I'd trade down and try to get Ferguson for a lot less money.

They have the number one pick, last year they had one of the worst offensive lines in recent memory, and their ownership wants to spend less money than Reggie Bush will require. Also, Ferguson is probably the best offensive lineman prospect since Orlando Pace.

It seems like a no-brainer to me.

soonerinabilene
4/26/2006, 08:36 AM
the only thing that i can think of that would make it logical for the texans to take bush, from an on the field point of view, is that because he can do so much on the field out of the backfield and out of the slot, teams will have to respect him and that COULD take pressure off of carr, but it still wouldnt help his sack count as much as getting a guy like brick.