PDA

View Full Version : Question of legality...

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:26 AM
The corporation I work for is instituting these draconian new "security" procedures. They're saying they're going to physically search everyone entering and exiting the building, search purses, lunch pails. They're also saying they're going to be conducting random searches of vehicles.

We sell ****ing race car parts, not airborne lasers for missile intercepts, for lawdsakes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, is this crap legal? I recognize that they don't want people stealing stuff, but damn, do they seriously have the right to invade my personal belongings at the whim of some $10/hour rent-a-cop?

sooner n houston
4/25/2006, 09:26 AM
See thread above, YWIA!!! :D

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:30 AM
See thread above, YWIA!!! :D
Heh.

I don't live in Oklahoma and although technically I could call in and ask this, it's not a legitimate "legal question."

IB4OU2
4/25/2006, 09:30 AM
The corporation I work for is instituting these draconian new "security" procedures. They're saying they're going to physically search everyone entering and exiting the building, search purses, lunch pails. They're also saying they're going to be conducting random searches of vehicles.

We sell ****ing race car parts, not airborne lasers for missile intercepts, for lawdsakes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, is this crap legal? I recognize that they don't want people stealing stuff, but damn, do they seriously have the right to invade my personal belongings at the whim of some $10/hour rent-a-cop?

"airborne lasers for missile intercepts"

Good grief we DO build that kinda stuff and we don't implement those kind of extreme searches........

Fugue
4/25/2006, 09:31 AM

What don't you want found? ;)

Stanley1
4/25/2006, 09:32 AM

He just doesn't want some rent-a-cop going through his fanny pack. I can understand that I guess.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 09:36 AM
He just doesn't want some rent-a-cop going through his fanny pack. I can understand that I guess, being an owner of a fanny pack.

:D

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:40 AM
Heh.

It's the principle: I believe that people live up to the expectations placed upon them. I.e., if you treat your employees like a bunch of thieves, you increase the likelihood that your employees will steal from you. However, if you treat your employees with trust and respect they will return that trust and respect.

Maybe that's a little bit Pollyanna, but I've been in both environments and seen it to be true.

There's another principle that I see here, and that is that people tend to see in other folks the reflections of themselves. I.e., if you are lying cheating SOB, you will expect others to be lying cheating SOBs. If you are honest and hardworking, your expectation of others will be that they are honest and hardworking.

So when ownership is so concerned about theft, it makes me question the character of those in ownership.

End of the day, I have to respect the people I work for. Call it the mercurial temperament that comes along with most good software developers. When I don't respect my employers, or, more importantly, I don't believe they respect me, my motivation to produce and therefore enhance their pocketbooks begins to diminish and the "Office Space" principle kicks in where by I do just enough to not get fired.

Stanley1
4/25/2006, 09:42 AM
:D

DUDE!!!!!

Fugue
4/25/2006, 09:55 AM
Heh.

It's the principle: I believe that people live up to the expectations placed upon them. I.e., if you treat your employees like a bunch of thieves, you increase the likelihood that your employees will steal from you. However, if you treat your employees with trust and respect they will return that trust and respect.

Maybe that's a little bit Pollyanna, but I've been in both environments and seen it to be true.

There's another principle that I see here, and that is that people tend to see in other folks the reflections of themselves. I.e., if you are lying cheating SOB, you will expect others to be lying cheating SOBs. If you are honest and hardworking, your expectation of others will be that they are honest and hardworking.

So when ownership is so concerned about theft, it makes me question the character of those in ownership.

End of the day, I have to respect the people I work for. Call it the mercurial temperament that comes along with most good software developers. When I don't respect my employers, or, more importantly, I don't believe they respect me, my motivation to produce and therefore enhance their pocketbooks begins to diminish and the "Office Space" principle kicks in where by I do just enough to not get fired.

What don't you want found? :D

j/k, I hear ya. Intrusive overkill sucks :twinkies: .

slickdawg
4/25/2006, 10:00 AM
Each day, our freedom takes another blow.

Oldnslo
4/25/2006, 10:02 AM
What do you mean when you say, "legal"? I don't think they're doing anything criminal by instituting this policy.

olevetonahill
4/25/2006, 10:17 AM
" Take this job and shove it " :)

TUSooner
4/25/2006, 10:17 AM
Tell "the Man" that you won't give up your liberty, privacy, and dignity for his lousy stinking job. Then tell him to shove it.

But first, get a new and better job.

You're welcome!

Rhino
4/25/2006, 10:24 AM
Sounds like high school.

Scott D
4/25/2006, 01:44 PM
Veritittay you just need to fess up that you've been filching paper clips and post it notes and these 'security measures' would go away ;)

Vaevictis
4/25/2006, 01:47 PM
Strike?