PDA

View Full Version : Yo! Bike riding SO peeps.

Veritas
4/25/2006, 08:03 AM
So because I'm a) cheap and b) hate running for cardio, I've decided I'm going to start riding a bicycle to work. It's about 10 miles one way, but I'm fairly decent shape cardio-wise, so I should be able to hack it.

Only problem is, I haven't purchased a bicycle since I got a sweet BMX bike after watching "Rad." Damn that evil Bart Connors.

I won't buy new, because I never buy anything new, except for underwear. So I'll be doing some shopping.

You bicyclists got any tips on what to look for, reasonable budget, etc? I'm not looking for a $10K Cannondale racing bike here, but I want something better than a $150 Walmart special.

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 08:04 AM
Only problem is, I haven't purchased a bicycle since I got a sweet BMX bike after watching "Rad." Damn that evil Bart Connors.

Did you take it on any jumps?

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 08:08 AM
Bikefox reference in 3....2....1....

sooneron
4/25/2006, 08:09 AM
I could do a pretty sweet tabletop, back in the day.

Race Inc. bitches~!

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 08:10 AM
Go ahead and email this dude, he will have all of the answers and I hear that he is a very HANDS ON tutor. You can get ahold of him via his website...www.bikerfox.com

http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos/images/17.jpg

sooneron
4/25/2006, 08:11 AM
Go ahead and email this dude, he will have all of the answers and I hear that he is a very HANDS ON tutor. You can get ahold of him via his website...www.bikerfox.com

http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos/images/17.jpg
you're late

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 08:12 AM
you're lateHEH...I tried like hell.:(

Howzit
4/25/2006, 08:31 AM
Oldnslo was my technical advisor on my recent purchase, and he talks purdy, so go with whatever he says.

But don't spend less than $500 whatever you get.

crawfish
4/25/2006, 08:35 AM
What's wrong with the minicycle?

OUDoc
4/25/2006, 08:38 AM
Race Inc. bitches~!
I had one of those too. I guess we're just cooler than these other guys.

Veritas
4/25/2006, 08:48 AM
Oldnslo was my technical advisor on my recent purchase, and he talks purdy, so go with whatever he says.

But don't spend less than $500 whatever you get.
Well, w/out knowing anything about it, I figured I'd have to spend between $400-600. So...that's bottom of the barrel? What is more realistic?

Other issue is (if this is an issue) I'm a big tall drink of water...36+ inch inseam, so I'll be looking at a pretty decently sized frame.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/25/2006, 08:53 AM
Oh, I dont' know, you could probably get away with something a little smaller:

http://chrisandmeganrikli.com/images/chris1.jpg

Veritas
4/25/2006, 08:56 AM
My hands have become too large and my head too small for that sweet ride.

Howzit
4/25/2006, 08:56 AM
Well, w/out knowing anything about it, I figured I'd have to spend between $400-600. So...that's bottom of the barrel? What is more realistic?

Other issue is (if this is an issue) I'm a big tall drink of water...36+ inch inseam, so I'll be looking at a pretty decently sized frame.

"Bottom of the barrel" is a matter of perspective. As you already alluded, you can spend as much as you want. You can get a quality bike for between $500 and $1000, especially if the extent of riding is going to be to work. If you plan on putting some serious miles on down the road spend some money or you'll wish you had.

Like anything, you can find deals on Ebay, but since you don't know what size to get that could be tough. Being properly sized on a bike and having it set up is critical, so I would recommend going through a dealer that can help you with that.

Be aware, also, that buying the bike is just the beginning. You start getting into clothing, gloves, helmet, pedals/clip (if you go that route) and price can add up in a hurry.

Hamhock
4/25/2006, 08:58 AM
I've thought of riding to work also. My problem is there is no place to shower once I get here. cardio workout = need to take a shower

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:01 AM
Be aware, also, that buying the bike is just the beginning. You start getting into clothing, gloves, helmet, pedals/clip (if you go that route) and price can add up in a hurry.
Yeah, the primary motivation here is to save some fuel money, not reallocate that money into something else, and given my slightly obsessive-compulsive approach to, well, anything that could be perceived as a hobby, that is probably what would happen.

That and the fact that I'd love to not have to run for cardio any more. Damn I hate cardio.

Howzit
4/25/2006, 09:05 AM
That and the fact that I'd love to not have to run for cardio any more. Damn I hate cardio.

Cycling is great cardio, but the amount of time spent to recieve the same cardio benefit with cycling vs. running is not a 1:1 ratio. It seems like I read somewhere that you have to spend roughly triple the time cycling to receive the same cardio benefit as running.

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 09:07 AM
Cycling is great cardio, but the amount of time spent to recieve the same cardio benefit with cycling vs. running is not a 1:1 ratio. It seems like I read somewhere that you have to spend roughly triple the time cycling to receive the same cardio benefit as running.Dr. Manny was talking about cardio yesterday on t.v. and he said that if you walk, you get the same benefit as running. In fact, walking may be a little better for you...you don't have the wear and tear on your joints.

Howzit
4/25/2006, 09:12 AM
Dr. Manny was talking about cardio yesterday on t.v. and he said that if you walk, you get the same benefit as running. In fact, walking may be a little better for you...you don't have the wear and tear on your joints.

Who are you going to believe - Dr. Manny or me? :D

I've heard that, too. My question is how are they making that comparison? Are they saying that if you run for 45 minutes and walk for 45 it's the same? Are they saying that if you run and walk the same distance it's the same? I truly don't know, but if they are saying that the lady on the treadmill next to me walking at 2 mph for the same 45 minutes that I am, flinging sweat for a 10 ft radius, is getting the same cardio benefit, that doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

But what do I know...:D

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:16 AM
Cycling is great cardio, but the amount of time spent to recieve the same cardio benefit with cycling vs. running is not a 1:1 ratio. It seems like I read somewhere that you have to spend roughly triple the time cycling to receive the same cardio benefit as running.
And that's about how it would work out. I do cardio 3x week at a decent clip for half an hour. However, I really like riding a bike and I really hate running.

And that walking thing is true, if you have the time to walk 5x as long as you would run. The reason I hate the running is not because it's hard, it's because it's really f'ing boring. Walking is, well, 5x as bad. :D

IB4OU2
4/25/2006, 09:23 AM
V just get one of these.........it's all I ever used to get around school.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=4698938&sourceid=1500000000000001245810

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 09:29 AM
Who are you going to believe - Dr. Manny or me? :D

I've heard that, too. My question is how are they making that comparison? Are they saying that if you run for 45 minutes and walk for 45 it's the same? Are they saying that if you run and walk the same distance it's the same? I truly don't know, but if they are saying that the lady on the treadmill next to me walking at 2 mph for the same 45 minutes that I am, flinging sweat for a 10 ft radius, is getting the same cardio benefit, that doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

But what do I know...:DIt is based in distance. Walking 1 mile will you give you the same cardio benefit as running 1 mile. Obviously you can run a mile quicker than you can walk it.

That is all I know...I am looking for any excuse NOT to run. :D

Howzit
4/25/2006, 09:32 AM
Eh...my running isn't much faster than walking anyway. :D

4/25/2006, 09:38 AM
Trek is my choice. Very good bikes. Depending on your size, you can probably find a nice used Trek that will suit you. (I have to buy the circus freak size bikes. Strangely, there aren't many giants selling their bikes.)

Also, what is the terrane? If you are on nice streets, a touring bike will get you to work much faster. If you are hopping curbs and dodging potholes, you might go with a hybrid.

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:43 AM
Trek is my choice. Very good bikes. Depending on your size, you can probably find a nice used Trek that will suit you. (I have to buy the circus freak size bikes. Strangely, there aren't many giants selling their bikes.)

Also, what is the terrane? If you are on nice streets, a touring bike will get you to work much faster. If you are hopping curbs and dodging potholes, you might go with a hybrid.
I have the same issue. 6'4", 230.

Terrain is great...walking/riding paths 80% of the way, decent streets the other 20%.

Oldnslo
4/25/2006, 09:59 AM
Late to the party. Sorry.

Let's start with a couple of quick questions:

1. If you had to choose between being fast and being comfortable, which would you pick?

2. Do you think you'll ride off-road for any significant amount of time when you're not commuting, or do you think you'll be on roads or trails 99+% of the time?

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 10:01 AM
1. If you had to choose between being fast and being comfortable, which would you pick?

i AKS MY WIFE THE SAME DAD GUM QUESTION

SoonerWood
4/25/2006, 11:04 AM
This might make jogging more fun. Get a Segway and jog in place on it as you ride it to work. Sure sounds like fun to me :D