PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds, James, and Mayfield

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 06:43 AM
all asking for releases according to the Daily Oklahoman.

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 08:24 AM
I apologize in advance, but I'm to'd (ticked off) at these little wankers.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/37/Stooges3.jpg

soonerlaw
4/25/2006, 09:16 AM
This can't be good. Here's an article...

Capel focuses on future despite recruiting losses

By Justin Harper
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - The hangdog expression one might have expected from new Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel was MIA on Monday.
When you give your word, plan to keep it

With three of the Sooners’ five signees having requested out of their national letters of intent and another having yet to qualify academically, it would not have been surprising to find a surly Capel at OU’s practice facility.

Hardly. He declined to talk about the signees individually, saying that the Sooners will go on no matter what happens.

You know what, I can’t comment on it,” Capel said of Scottie Reynolds, Damion James and Jeremy Mayfield all having requested releases from their letters of intent with OU.

“They’re recruitable student athletes now. I’m not going to comment on any of that, anything that’s going on. It’s always been my philosophy in life - what’s supposed to happen will happen,” Capel said. “And whatever happens will be the best thing for us, and our program will go forward.”

Capel had inherited a class signed by former OU coach Kelvin Sampson that ranked fourth nationally. But with Sampson leaving to coach at Indiana, only signees Keith Clark and Tony Crocker have yet to ask OU for a release.

The school has already said it would grant releases to the players given the situation. Reynolds, Mayfield and James have all said they are just keeping their options open and that OU remains a strong candidate for their services.

Asked if he has gone from feeling like he was being handed a gold mine to feeling as if he’s struck fools’ gold, Capel grinned and said he hadn’t thought about the situation in either extreme.

“I didn’t even think about it,” the 31-year-old coach said. “I just tried to concentrate on what was ahead on the job and try to get to know these guys (current players) and get to know those guys (signees). That’s been my sole focus trying to do that to the best of my ability.

“Obviously, some of the restrictions I’ve had, I haven’t been able to get out as much as I’d like to, as frequently, but I have been able to contact and meet in person all of those guys (signees). And we’ll see what happens.”

The current recruiting period ends Sunday. Capel said if any of the five scholarships OU had reserved for the five signees come available, he’d use them for other players.

Use all the scholarships or save some?

“Don’t know,” he said. “We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

Use them for high school or junior college players?

“Players are players,” he said. “We want to always have good players.”

Capel admitted anticipating that not everything would go smoothly. He just is undaunted by that fact.

“Any time you have a (coaching) change like this this late in the year, it’s tough,” Capel said. “But we’re going to survive it. Whatever it is, we’re going to survive it and come out a better program. I’m a big believer in that you learn a lot from adversity.”

Capel must be learning plenty at the moment as it looks like a monster recruiting class may just be falling apart. And why he looks so calm in the face of that.

“When you’re the leader of whatever it is - and right now I’m the leader of our program - my job is to do everything I can to make sure our program is as strong as it possibly can be. And sometimes that requires you to make tough and hard decisions. That’s what I have to do. I have to look out for the University of Oklahoma men’s basketball program. And that’s what I intend to do. Whatever you want to take out of that, that’s what I intend to do.

“This program was given to me in very good shape and I intend to keep it in very good shape and improve it.”

runner1182
4/25/2006, 09:51 AM
"The current recruiting period ends Sunday. Capel said if any of the five scholarships OU had reserved for the five signees come available, he’d use them for other players." so by sunday we should know if reynolds or any of the recruits are staying if i read this right?

Mjcpr
4/25/2006, 10:01 AM
"The current recruiting period ends Sunday. Capel said if any of the five scholarships OU had reserved for the five signees come available, he’d use them for other players." so by sunday we should know if reynolds or any of the recruits are staying if i read this right?

I think there is another signing period between now and the beginning of the season so these guys could (probably will) wait until then to sign so we may not know until later.

Harry Beanbag
4/25/2006, 10:11 AM
I read somewhere yesterday that the signing period is over on May 17th.

Rhino
4/25/2006, 10:19 AM
One of these days, Japan is going to bomb Pearl Harbor.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/25/2006, 10:24 AM
One of these days, Japan is going to bomb Pearl Harbor.

That's deep.

runner1182
4/25/2006, 10:27 AM
thats what the oklahoman said today in the story covering capel, that the current recruiting process was over sunday, wonder if that was his time frame for the current recruits to decide

Partial Qualifier
4/25/2006, 10:49 AM
If these guys want to play together, what other D1 school are they gonna find which has 3-4 schollies available this late in the game?

OU shoulda done them a favor, made it simple, and not honored their releases ;)

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 10:59 AM
let 'em go.

Remember, Karma's a beeyatch.

Rhino
4/25/2006, 11:12 AM
I hope the conditions of their releases are three-fold:
1. Can't sign with another Big XII team.
2. Can't sign with a Sampson-coached team.
3. Can't sign at the same school with either of the other two.

Harry Beanbag
4/25/2006, 11:44 AM
There is no chance Reynolds will go to Indiana. Sampson has apparently called him numerous times (funny ha ha :D) since he left and Scottie won't speak to him.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 11:53 AM
Hiring Capel right now looks more and more like a mistake. I think both James and Reynolds follow Arthur to LSU.

GottaHavePride
4/25/2006, 12:01 PM
Hiring Capel right now looks more and more like a mistake. I think both James and Reynolds follow Arthur to LSU.

I think I'll hold off judgment until Capel gets a chance to do his own recruiting, rather than trying to hang on to someone else's recruits during an 11th-hour coaching change.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 12:02 PM

Do the cajuns have enough scholarships to accomodate both of them?

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 12:04 PM
I think I'll hold off judgment until Capel gets a chance to do his own recruiting, rather than trying to hang on to someone else's recruits during an 11th-hour coaching change.

Doesn't Capel have to quit recruiting now because of self-imposed sanctions put onthe team by Kelvin? I thought that's what I heard the other night...

Harry Beanbag
4/25/2006, 12:08 PM

According to Rivals, they don't have any commits for this class. I don't know how that's possible nor do I know the scholarship situation for their team, but they do have at least one available with Tyrus Thomas going pro.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 12:11 PM

I'm not really sure. They probably do since Thomas is leaving and they lose a couple of seniors. But I don't know if they've already signed others in the class. I hope Capel is a master recruiter and gets all 3 back. But it doesn't look like that'll happen right now.

jccouger
4/25/2006, 12:12 PM
According to Rivals, they don't have any commits for this class.

Yeah, I looked at that too. Its wierd.

If that is the case though then im prett ysure they all will be heading to LSU. Just another reason for us to hate them.

Sooner in Tampa
4/25/2006, 01:06 PM
Hiring Capel right now looks more and more like a mistake. I think both James and Reynolds follow Arthur to LSU.Yeah, I agree, Capel has been hired and the players that were recruited by another coach are having second thoughts. What was Joe C. thinking...he should have talked to the incoming players first. :rolleyes:

OUGreg723
4/25/2006, 01:32 PM
Honestly... I want Scottie alot for lots of reasons, and that goes for jeremy and damion too. But I'm not going to worry about our program resting on the shoulders of recruits who quit on us. Alot of the times in situations like this, the kids that are given the chance to play for a big time prgram, who werent given the opportunity before, come in and excell. All I really want is a bunch of great team mates, hard workers, and good people off and on the court. That's an easy recipe for success.

With a little talent in there too...

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 01:37 PM
LSU has 2 scholarships available with Tyrus Thomas' NBA declaration and Darrell Mitchell (senior SG, 16.8 PPG, 4.9 APG) graduation. NickZeppelin is misinformed. He was our only senior. At the beginning of this year we had no scholarships available so we were not able to get anyone during early signing period. A player by the name of Kentrell Gransberry left the team so we were able to give his scholarship to the below Texas Tech transfer.

There's not room for James as well. We've got Marquette transfer Dameon Mason and Texas Tech transfer Terry Martin, Jr at that SG position so it should be ok.

Maybe Reynolds would come to LSU but i don't see why yall would hate us because of that.

poke4christ
4/25/2006, 01:41 PM
I hope the conditions of their releases are three-fold:
1. Can't sign with another Big XII team.
2. Can't sign with a Sampson-coached team.
3. Can't sign at the same school with either of the other two.

Actually, since they have never played for OU, the university can't make any stipulations like that. They can do it for a transfer, but I'm pretty sure they can't in this case.

Zach

Salt City Sooner
4/25/2006, 02:21 PM
"NickZeppelin is misinformed."
I gotta go lie down after that.

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 02:48 PM
If these guys don't come to OU I hope they do go to LSU. Then, maybe they will STFU about the Hornets and let Shinn keep them in OKC.

Rhino
4/25/2006, 03:05 PM
Actually, since they have never played for OU, the university can't make any stipulations like that. They can do it for a transfer, but I'm pretty sure they can't in this case.

Zach They can make conditions upon releasing the kid(s) from an LOI, yes.

Mjcpr
4/25/2006, 03:11 PM
They can make conditions upon releasing the kid(s) from an LOI, yes.

How would they enforce them?

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:17 PM
How would they enforce them?

2 words: Jozsef Szendrei

LSUdeek
4/25/2006, 03:22 PM
If these guys don't come to OU I hope they do go to LSU. Then, maybe they will STFU about the Hornets and let Shinn keep them in OKC.

The fanbases are by no means a union. When the Hornets played in the PMAC 7K showed up. My cousin is a notable member of the "People who are from New Orleans who Hate LSU" facebook group.

Rhino
4/25/2006, 03:24 PM
How would they enforce them? At first I was going to say, "this isn't a handshake kind of release".

But it's become obvious that written contracts don't mean much to the NCAA, players or universities anyway.

OUstud
4/25/2006, 03:31 PM
The NCAA recruiting process is an absolute joke. We have 3 spoiled players who are wasting our time by straddling the fence. If they want to leave, fine. We'll find 3 other guys who want to come here. If they want to stay, great. Quit acting like the world revolves around you, guys. :twinkies:

Taxman71
4/25/2006, 03:35 PM
I think we should be able to sign any other 3 players by virtue of losing these 3, regardless if they are already signed elsewhere. Let the dominos fall......

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 04:04 PM
While this is a tough beginning for Coach Capel, Joe C. should release the 3 (as they would probably walk if held to their LOI) enabling coach to seek replacements during the upcoming signing period.

Bob Stoops would be able to tell coach Capel that it is better for moral, locker room spirit, etc. to have all the members want to be part of the team.

With the brand of basketball that the coach seems to want to play, OU will attract more than their share of topnotch talent in the coming years who will be eager to come to Norman and wear the Crimson and Cream !

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 04:14 PM
We'll see. But trying to get players now will be tough. Most of the really good prospects have already signed on somewhere.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/25/2006, 04:15 PM

Zach

I know it is wrong but your handle is giving me the giggles.

SleestakSooner
4/25/2006, 05:06 PM

And your avatar is giving me the... oh nevermind have a twinkie:twinkies:

poke4christ
4/25/2006, 05:26 PM

Feel free to "giggle" all you want.

Zach

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 05:52 PM
I am not going to say that OU will get the same "project quality" players of the type we may be losing. Recruiting sites' history of hitting more than missing can be discusses elsewhere.

Coach Capel may be able to still offer scholarships to those types of players than could make OU competitive next year and he will be able to bring top talent in coming years.

Even the KS was able to get blue chippers, how many did he retain? I believe coach Capel will have better success overall than KS.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 05:56 PM
How can you say that right now Wolf? Capel has only been a coach 6 years. There's no way I can say he'll be a great coach.

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 06:03 PM
I understand your doubts Nick, but I do have faith in Joe C. making the right decisions for OU. There must be a reason why he chose coach Capel over others such as Calipari. OU is a top flight program (now) that it would not settle for just a "stop gap" coach.

As a sooner fan for over 20 years (many with disappointment in football), let's give our new coach the best chance we can to keep OU a national power in roundball!

poke4christ
4/25/2006, 06:19 PM
I understand your doubts Nick, but I do have faith in Joe C. making the right decisions for OU. There must be a reason why he chose coach Capel over others such as Calipari. OU is a top flight program (now) that it would not settle for just a "stop gap" coach.

As a sooner fan for over 20 years (many with disappointment in football), let's give our new coach the best chance we can to keep OU a national power in roundball!

Joe C is a good AD, but I think his hands were tied here. He didn't hire Capel instead of Calipari, he hired him because Calipari and the other guys said no. You don't turn down a proven winne to take a chance on Capel. The thing is right now OU isn't a very atractive basketball program. Low attendance durring a peak talent season and a top 25 ranking. Possible sanctions being handed down, and a football program that constantly shadows the court. I knew it would be tuff for Joe C.

Zach

OKC-SLC
4/25/2006, 06:21 PM
Wow, Nick. Do you ever think before you type anything? What an awfully sour thing to think--that because Capel is struggling to keep recruits signed by another coach, his hire was a mistake?

My God, you seriously need to seek some help to deal with this problem you have with utter pessimism.

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:27 PM
I don't care to think about being optimistic or pessmistic. I've never been either.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:42 PM
I don't care to think about being optimistic or pessmistic. I've never been either.

Nick, you have some good points from time to time, but dude, you're like Chicken Little half the time on here. Isn't there any part of you that feels we are going to win the NC in baseball and football and basketball in the same year? I know that's not going to happen, but it's sometimes good to be a LITTLE idealistic.....

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:47 PM
I would love for it to happen. But I'm not gonna just say it's gonna happen with no reason.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 06:52 PM
I would love for it to happen. But I'm not gonna just say it's gonna happen with no reason.

Well, we can't continually live in the past. You've got to have some blind faith and get that feeling like a young fan sometimes. Our young fans believe OU is invincible and will win everything. They don't need to reason everything out and logically lay everything out in front of them to understand it. They just BELIEVE....

I am an English Major and Teacher. I think you are a little "over-analytical."

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 06:58 PM
I'm a huge Dallas Cowboy fan. In 2001 when Campo was there and we just got Roy Williams. I would never have said, "We are gonna go to the Super Bowl this year!!!!"

Or in 1997 as an OU fan. "We will win the NC this year"

People who think that type of stuff when there's no proof of it are just dumb. I'm sorry. I'll be willing to have blind faith if we have a proven thing. Like after 2000 or 2001 with OU. Or in the middle of a Championship run in Dallas in the early 90's. But right now when the Basketball team is losing 3 of their top players, and a great coach. And the football team is losing a lot of seniors and a great offensive coordinator. There's no reason to suddenly think we'll win it all.

Soonerwolf
4/25/2006, 07:01 PM
Joe C is a good AD, but I think his hands were tied here. He didn't hire Capel instead of Calipari, he hired him because Calipari and the other guys said no. You don't turn down a proven winne to take a chance on Capel. The thing is right now OU isn't a very atractive basketball program. Low attendance durring a peak talent season and a top 25 ranking. Possible sanctions being handed down, and a football program that constantly shadows the court. I knew it would be tuff for Joe C.

Zach

You make some excellent points. Do you think that the attendance was due to expectations of fans that did not pan out on the court? KS in the last few years has had a record of teams not performing to possibly thier ability due to the coach.

The infractions issue is also a KS shadow. Kids 17, 18 years of age would not attribute the bad issues of the program to someone who "got them here".

Coach Capel will be a very good coach in the BIG 12, have some faith. He walked into a situation facing possible penalties and is doing all he can.

Lets support him . . . !!!

NickZeppelin
4/25/2006, 07:05 PM
Lets wait and see what he does on the court first. He does have a lot more left for him then Kelvin did when he got here.

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 07:06 PM
I'm a huge Dallas Cowboy fan. In 2001 when Campo was there and we just got Roy Williams. "I would never have said we are gonna go to the Super Bowl this year!!!!"

People who think that type of stuff when there's no proof of it are just dumb. I'm sorry. I'll be willing to have blind faith if we have a proven thing. Like after 2000 or 2001 with OU. Or in the middle of a Championship run in Dallas in the early 90's. But right now when the Basketball team is losing 3 of their top players, and a great coach. And the football team is losing a lot of seniors and a great offensive coordinator. There's no reason to suddenly think we'll win it all.

Nick, if CL was a "GREAT" OC, he would have made the calls to win us the Sugar Bowl. CL was not "great." I would say he was "good" and he had a good run with JW and Hybl at the helm. I would rank him in the top 5-6 in OU's history, but KW might just prove himself. Did you honestly think that Mangino would help lead us to Miami?

Now, I do think it's stupid to think we would win it all in 97, but OU's b-ball team was supposedly legit before the season began, and OU was coming off of a Big XII and NC berth. We should have been better than 8-4. UCLA (OL) and Tech (refs) were beatable, but it didn't happen. We have a legit chance to make another run this year in FB. That's a fact......

poke4christ
4/25/2006, 07:30 PM
You make some excellent points. Do you think that the attendance was due to expectations of fans that did not pan out on the court? KS in the last few years has had a record of teams not performing to possibly thier ability due to the coach.

The infractions issue is also a KS shadow. Kids 17, 18 years of age would not attribute the bad issues of the program to someone who "got them here".

Coach Capel will be a very good coach in the BIG 12, have some faith. He walked into a situation facing possible penalties and is doing all he can.

Lets support him . . . !!!

You're right that I shouldn't judge him right away. I'm sorry if I did. I'm not that high on the hire, but we'll see what happens. I just think that OU might be in for some struggles that aren't his fault. Yet they still might kill his career at OU.

As for the attendance, you guys would know the answer to that question better than I. As I don't keep up with each games attendance or go to the games, I can't pass judgment.

Zach

KC//CRIMSON
4/25/2006, 09:24 PM

STFU! YOU WALKING VOID!

jccouger
4/25/2006, 09:30 PM
Doesnt Demarco Murray and a couple other football players want to play baketball? I say just let these three go, pick up a couple football players and dont waste any scholarship on guys like we did for walker last year.

Dio
4/25/2006, 10:08 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Socrefbek
4/25/2006, 10:10 PM

Turning over a new leaf? :texan:

Vegas Sooner
4/25/2006, 10:33 PM
nobody knows that yet

Vegas Sooner
4/25/2006, 10:36 PM
I'm a huge Dallas Cowboy fan. In 2001 when Campo was there and we just got Roy Williams. I would never have said, "We are gonna go to the Super Bowl this year!!!!"

....no you arent. ?????

william_brasky
4/26/2006, 03:26 AM
has anyone heard if we're recruiting any players to take those 3 schollys?

Capel should start signing some new players.

Those 3 kids are showing no loyalty to or desire to play for the University of Oklahoma, and that really ****es me off.

Those guys need to poop or get off the terlet. :twinkies:

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 08:53 AM
But it's become obvious that written contracts don't mean much to the NCAA, players or universities anyway.

One of these days Japan is going to bomb Pearl Harbor.

;)

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 08:54 AM
STFU! YOU WALKING VOID!

That's a very convincing argument.

Taxman71
4/26/2006, 08:56 AM
I am not bothered by a young kid changing his mind, even it is against OU. But, the alleged anti-OU recruiting by Reynolds towards the other recruits makes me want to slap the taste out of his mouth. That reason alone would make me want to refuse the release request to him and him alone just to make him go through the system or lose a year.