PDA

View Full Version : FREE LEGAL ADVICE!!!

Phil
4/24/2006, 05:24 PM
Here's the skinny - my fellow barristers (I did it last year - too busy this year) are offering up free services on Thursday to answer your questions about legal issues. It's a good program, and I had a lot of fun helping folks last year. If you have questions, call in. Here's the official skinny.

LAW DAY 2006• EVENT FACT SHEET
(more information available at www.okbar.org)

WHAT: Oklahoma lawyers are celebrating Law Day by providing free legal information as a community service

Phone number to call: (800) 456-8525

(statewide toll free number answered by Oklahoma City and Tulsa attorneys)

Deaf or hearing impaired persons using TTY machines may dial toll free (866) 807-2240

15-20 attorneys work per shift taking calls coming into the phone bank that usually stays busy throughout the day

WHEN: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. Thursday, April 27, 2006

WHO: Sponsored by the Oklahoma Bar Association and the 77 county bar associations statewide.

WHERE: Phone banks are located:

OETA - 7403 N. Kelley in Oklahoma City (20 attorneys per shift)

OETA *- 811 N. Sheridan in Tulsa (12 attorneys per shift)

In addition to the statewide hotline, most other counties also provide free legal advice at more limited times on that day. For the complete list, go to www.okbar.org

FACTS: In addition to the free legal advice call in, the OBA and OETA annually co-produce a public affairs oriented TV show. This year the program will feature segments on immigration, domestic violence and Oklahoma’s drug courts, an alternative to prison for drug offenders. The program will air Thursday, April 27 at 8 p.m. on OETA.

This is the 28th year OBA members have offered this community service. About 350 attorneys will be volunteering statewide. Last year 3,042 calls were received.

Oklahoma’s Law Day program was selected as a Law Day Activity Award winner by the American Bar Association at its most recent meeting.

Governor Brad Henry has issued a proclamation designating May 1 as Law Day in Oklahoma. Supreme Court Chief Justice Joseph Watt issued a directive encouraging courts to recognize Law Day.

Most frequently asked questions are expected to be on the topics of employment law, landlord/tenant issues, bankruptcy, child custody, child visitation, adoption, immigration and small claims court.

OUinFLA
4/24/2006, 05:27 PM
Ok, I cant be there, but could you toss this question out for me?

Is there some legal way to overthrow a privately owned messsage board?
:D

disclaimer: someone else wanted to know, but were too afraid to ask.

JohnnyMack
4/24/2006, 05:29 PM
Can we sue for our sponsor gifts? Some class action lawsuits and ****?

GottaHavePride
4/24/2006, 05:46 PM
Wait, they turned May Day into Law Day? Talk about a whole other set of social impulses... ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/24/2006, 05:52 PM
Does it incriminate me to say, "I had a beer or two" when being stopped at a drunk check on Lindsey?

Sooner_Bob
4/24/2006, 06:07 PM
Does it incriminate me to say, "I had a beer or two" when being stopped at a drunk check on Lindsey?

It does now.

Hamhock
4/24/2006, 06:27 PM
Can you have sex on it?

NormanPride
4/24/2006, 07:23 PM
Is this where we find the boomer sooner ringtones?

TUSooner
4/24/2006, 07:25 PM
This should be well worth the money.

Okla-homey
4/24/2006, 09:48 PM
How many years do I have to occupy some rich bastage's luxury box at the Fock before I acquire a right of use by prescriptive easement?

Fugue
4/25/2006, 09:29 AM
How many years do I have to occupy some rich bastage's luxury box at the Fock before I acquire a right of use by prescriptive easement?

just go squat and hope you don't get thwarted. :eek: :D

crawfish
4/25/2006, 09:58 AM
Can we sue if we get BAD legal advice?

mdklatt
4/25/2006, 10:19 AM
Does this look illegal to you?

Okla-homey
4/25/2006, 11:56 AM
Can we sue if we get BAD legal advice?

You can always sue. Now, whether your case gets dismissed or not is another matter entirely.;)

Mandatory disclaimer:
The above is not legal advice nor should it be construed as such in a court of law or equity in any jurisdiction on the planet.

ultimatesooner1
4/26/2006, 01:49 PM
what will happen to me if I get caught bringing back cuban rum/cigars from Mexico?

Okla-homey
4/26/2006, 02:29 PM
what will happen to me if I get caught bringing back cuban rum/cigars from Mexico?

You'll get an invitation to the next tailgate.;)

recruiter
4/27/2006, 07:04 AM
Is it possible to stage a citizen's arrest style of impeachment on an incompetent President?

GulfCoastBamaFan
4/27/2006, 10:22 PM
You'll get an invitation to the next tailgate.;)

What if I bring Honduran rum and Cuban wimmen?

Okla-homey
4/28/2006, 09:53 PM
What if I bring Honduran rum and Cuban wimmen?

That'll work too.

OzarkSooner
4/28/2006, 09:58 PM
Phil,

Thanks for posting this info. here. I know a guy that just got slapped with a paternity suit by a skanerous femolly he spent ONE night with three years ago. I think he's going to use the service to get some advice.