PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watch Robert Wuhl's show on HBO?

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 11:08 AM
No, not the agent show that is being rerun on ESPN. I'm talking about his show where he talks about the history of the US and how pop-culture played a role. It's pretty good. He takes a number of jabs at Ben Affleck having an Oscar. And all along, I thought it was only me who thought that Ben was a total hack who has worse acting skills than Tom Cruise.

picasso
4/24/2006, 11:09 AM
freaking hilarious.

is it a onet ime deal or is it going to be a series?

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 11:13 AM
freaking hilarious.

is it a onet ime deal or is it going to be a series?

I don't know. I didn't know what to expect, but after seeing it, I hope that he makes more of them. Arliss was funny at times, barely watchable at other times. However, the guy is pretty sharp and pretty funny.

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 11:13 AM
No, not the agent show that is being rerun on ESPN. I'm talking about his show where he talks about the history of the US and how pop-culture played a role. It's pretty good. He takes a number of jabs at Ben Affleck having an Oscar. And all along, I thought it was only me who thought that Ben was a total hack who has worse acting skills than Tom Cruise.

I would agree if his Oscar was for acting. As for the screenplay for Good Will Hunting, I think they deserved it.

picasso
4/24/2006, 11:19 AM
I would agree if his Oscar was for acting. As for the screenplay for Good Will Hunting, I think they deserved it.
agreed. but I still can't imagine he's really clever enough to put that togther. I'm thinking maybe he suggested a scene or two and got credit.;)

I never watched Arliss but the dude is funny.

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 11:20 AM

I think someone else wrote it, they just let Ben and Matt pen a couple of lines and then put their name on it. At least Matt can act. Anyway, Wuhl's point is that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, even it they are led to and handed it by someone else. And Ben, like other figures in US history, are more of a product of popularity and exposure rather than actual substance. Rightfully he uses Paul Revere as an example. The man was captured by the British. Actually, captured is not quite accurate, I believe they actually saved him. He kept falling off his horse after drinking too much.

Newbomb Turk
4/24/2006, 11:20 AM
After his role as Newbomb Turk, the guy had nowhere to go but down. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 11:28 AM
I think someone else wrote it, they just let Ben and Matt pen a couple of lines and then put their name on it.

No way. Agree to disagree.

skycat
4/24/2006, 11:38 AM
Not a fan of this show. He comes off as a total tool, and I disagree with a bunch, if not most, of his conclusions.

Just thought I'd throw out an opposing viewpoint. ;)

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 11:45 AM
No way. Agree to disagree.

Actually, I think LAS, before the SO ban, stated this. I don't know how well connected LAS is to all of this, but that wasn't the first or last time that I have heard that. For a couple of Academy Award winning screen writers, I sure haven't seen much else come out of them. Certainly nothing award worthy.

Hatfield
4/24/2006, 01:00 PM
i think they are doing a series with it.

GDC
4/24/2006, 02:57 PM
I saw the end of the one about the origins of flipping people off.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/24/2006, 03:29 PM
After his role as Newbomb Turk, the guy had nowhere to go but down. :D

why you gotta dis bull durham?