PDA

View Full Version : **Official Dallas Mavericks Playoff Thread**

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 09:09 AM
Good win last night. Dampier's play was a nice bonus, but I'm not expecting it again. Nice to see Harris and Daniels playing significant minutes.

If that Dirk is the one that shows up all playoffs, it's gonna be a fun ride. :D

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 04:49 AM
Fun ride to next round and then done.

Boo-yeah!!!! :twinkies:

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for contributing.

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for contributing.

you're welcome.

go mavs.

dampier rules!

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 08:38 AM
dampier rules!

Now I know you are not being serious ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 08:47 AM
Fun ride to next round and then done.

Boo-yeah!!!! :twinkies:
EXCELLENT POINT!!!

SPEK to the genius contribution from the WELL informed gentleman.

BeetDigger
4/25/2006, 11:55 AM
Mavs are a great team for the regular season - lots of depth. But the playoffs are about who has the best 8 man rotation. That is what is going to cost the Mavs I think. The question will be, how far can Dirk carry this team?

And speaking of Dirk, it is being reported that he is not the MVP. Avery is coach of the year however.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 01:01 PM
Mavs are a great team for the regular season - lots of depth. But the playoffs are about who has the best 8 man rotation. That is what is going to cost the Mavs I think. The question will be, how far can Dirk carry this team?

And speaking of Dirk, it is being reported that he is not the MVP. Avery is coach of the year however.

I agree about the 8 man rotation, but I disagree that that's where the Mavs are lacking.

Starting Five:
Terry
Dirk
Howard
Dampier/Diop
Griffin

First 3 off the Bench:
Stackhouse
Harris
Daniels

That's a pretty solid Top 8 when all our healthy. Judging by the minutes they got, that's close to happening. A quick series is a must.

BeetDigger
4/25/2006, 01:22 PM
I agree about the 8 man rotation, but I disagree that that's where the Mavs are lacking.

Starting Five:
Terry
Dirk
Howard
Dampier/Diop
Griffin

First 3 off the Bench:
Stackhouse
Harris
Daniels

That's a pretty solid Top 8 when all our healthy. Judging by the minutes they got, that's close to happening. A quick series is a must.

I am not the best person to debate how good the Mav top 8 are compared to other team's top 8's. I just don't follow the NBA close enough to be able to analyze it with conviction.

I do have a good buddy who lives and dies the Mavs, goes to tons of games, who feels that the top 8 of the Mavs don't stack up. Dirk is as good as it gets (which I agree). But he doesn't feel the rest stack well. I tend to agree. Especially at center. And Griffin wasn't even playing this year until the Mavs called him was he? Terry is a good point, but he is more of a scorer than a point and there are other point guards in the playoffs that are better.

On a head to head matchup, I think that the Mavs lose on every one to the Spurs (and really to many other playoff teams), save for Dirk. I do like the bench for the Mavs however. But is it enough to tip the scale? Personally, I don't think so. But, here I am acting like I really know much about the Mavs and the NBA and I really don't follow it real close.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 01:38 PM
I am not the best person to debate how good the Mav top 8 are compared to other team's top 8's. I just don't follow the NBA close enough to be able to analyze it with conviction.

I do have a good buddy who lives and dies the Mavs, goes to tons of games, who feels that the top 8 of the Mavs don't stack up. Dirk is as good as it gets (which I agree). But he doesn't feel the rest stack well. I tend to agree. Especially at center. And Griffin wasn't even playing this year until the Mavs called him was he? Terry is a good point, but he is more of a scorer than a point and there are other point guards in the playoffs that are better.

On a head to head matchup, I think that the Mavs lose on every one to the Spurs (and really to many other playoff teams), save for Dirk. I do like the bench for the Mavs however. But is it enough to tip the scale? Personally, I don't think so. But, here I am acting like I really know much about the Mavs and the NBA and I really don't follow it real close.

It really just comes down to opinion. I think this Mavs team can beat this Spurs team. And if not, give them a hell of a tough series. The Spurs have a great Top 8, but we'll see how Finley and Van Exel hold up.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 03:00 PM
pish posh.

Keep hoping for injuries.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 03:04 PM
pish posh.

Keep hoping for injuries.

No one here is hoping for injuries.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 04:32 PM
Detroit may have the best starting 5, but I think the Spurs are solid deeper than any other team. And their starting 5 aren't chopped liver.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 05:03 PM
Detroit may have the best starting 5, but I think the Spurs are solid deeper than any other team. And their starting 5 aren't chopped liver.

Do you remember how Finley plays in the playoffs? ;)

tulsaoilerfan
4/25/2006, 07:07 PM
He will probably torch the Mavs; isn't that how it always goes?

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 07:24 PM
He's a role player here. And I'll bet he gets plenty fired up to play Dallas.

jk the sooner fan
4/25/2006, 09:32 PM
And I'll bet he gets plenty fired up to play

well there's a first for everything i suppose.....

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 09:36 PM
I hate to break this to you guys, but the Spurs have 3 recent titles without him.

If you think Finley will let us down, your worried about 1 role player out of many.

Robert Horry is kicking the crap out of Sac-town right now.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 09:56 PM
I hate to break this to you guys, but the Spurs have 3 recent titles without him.

If you think Finley will let us down, your worried about 1 role player out of many.

Robert Horry is kicking the crap out of Sac-town right now.

Horry is 3-3 from 3 point land. Spurs are down 5 at halftime.

How's that kick the crap out of someone? ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 09:58 PM
What do you think the final will be?

Spurs will roll.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 10:03 PM
What do you think the final will be?

Spurs will roll.

When you win "3 recent titles", do they mail you your elitest card, or do you have to send off for it? ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 10:05 PM
Doesn't it suck when you have your best season ever and you're still second best in the state.

Maverick=Aggie.

william_brasky
4/25/2006, 10:06 PM
Spurs had no offensive inside game 1st half. Look for Timmah to be more active half 2.

Kings sure came to play without Mr. Suspension. They are attacking. They look good.

Scott D
4/25/2006, 10:09 PM
isn't Van Exel due his annual meltdown soon? And isn't this the time of year that Michael Finley does his impression of the invisible man? :D

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 10:09 PM
Doesn't it suck when you have your best season ever and you're still second best in the state.

Maverick=Aggie.

Well, that would make you a sooner fan. I hope I don't have that attitude. :D

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 10:11 PM
It sucks that the Mavs and Spurs have to meet early.

I like what the little general has done up there.

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 10:14 PM
It sucks that the Mavs and Spurs have to meet early.

I like what the little general has done up there.

Hopefully they will re-do the playoffs next year so the top two teams can meet in the conference finals. The NBA is stupid very often.

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 10:16 PM
Spurs up with the foul now

GrapevineSooner
4/25/2006, 10:28 PM
Is Dick Bavetta on the Spurs payroll?

Because other than the explanation that he's old and blind, I can't figure out how the hell Manu the Flopper just got away with a blatant charge on Bonzi Wells.

GrapevineSooner
4/25/2006, 10:33 PM
Hopefully they will re-do the playoffs next year so the top two teams can meet in the conference finals. The NBA is stupid very often.

Simple solution.

Only guarantee the division champs a playoff berth.

Then seed by record.

That way, you not only prevent the possibility of the two best teams in the conference playing each other in the second round, you also do away with the possibility of a 6th seed having home court advantage over the 3rd seeded team with the 7th best conference record.

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2006, 12:01 AM
yawn.........routine victory..........:O

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 07:40 AM
heh

william_brasky
4/26/2006, 07:45 AM
double heh

nice ending to go to OT.

hey SA, did you hear Barkley dissing your City after the game?

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 07:49 AM
**** BArkley

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 11:38 AM
I wish I could spek SAS for every post in this thread. :D Tough win last night, but that's how it always goes after a blowout in the playoffs, especially with a talented team like Sacramento. When's the last time Bonzi scored 20+? '84? ;)

I can't wait for the Mavs series. All the regular season games were awesome, and we're both finally healthy enough for a good playoff series.

GrapevineSooner
4/26/2006, 12:37 PM
Adelman should tell Bibby the next time he wants to be a spectator on a play that ties the game up at the end of regulation, buy a ticket.

BeetDigger
4/26/2006, 01:45 PM
Adelman should tell Bibby the next time he wants to be a spectator on a play that ties the game up at the end of regulation, buy a ticket.

I only saw the replay, but didn't it look like Duncan threw his hip out on that play? It looked like a moving pick. But again, I just saw a replay and it was not from a good angle.

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2006, 02:15 PM
double heh

nice ending to go to OT.

hey SA, did you hear Barkley dissing your City after the game?
He gets the locals worked up every now and then.

Personally I like Chuck. He says a lot of crap........but so do I.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 02:17 PM
I only saw the replay, but didn't it look like Duncan threw his hip out on that play? It looked like a moving pick. But again, I just saw a replay and it was not from a good angle.

Ducan? A moving pick? Say what???? ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2006, 02:20 PM
It's called the 'pick and roll'. Everybody does it. The Jazz got away with murder.

BeetDigger
4/26/2006, 03:05 PM
It's called the 'pick and roll'. Everybody does it. The Jazz got away with murder.

On the replay that I saw, it didn't look like a pick and roll. More of a screen by Duncan to give space to whomever shot the ball. As I say, however, I only saw a brief replay and didn't see the set up. All I'm saying is that it is easy to blame Bibby for not being on the guy, but it did look like Bibby got hip checked going around Duncan.

sanantoniosooner
4/26/2006, 03:12 PM
I had another play in my mind......on the one you mentioned......

I think something could have been called, but at the same time, Bibby left open a 3 point shooter to collapse on Manu. He wouldn't have been able to defend the shot anyway.

GrapevineSooner
4/26/2006, 04:00 PM
It only looked like a moving pick because Bibby tried to run Duncan over to get out to Brent Barry.

colleyvillesooner
4/26/2006, 11:30 PM
Nice win by Dallas, now lets win two in Memphis and get a little rest.

mrowl
4/27/2006, 02:45 PM
hmmm.... should I pay attention to mavs basketball after Friday, or should I direct all my energy towards watching the Rangers give us hope until June....?

BeetDigger
4/27/2006, 02:59 PM
hmmm.... should I pay attention to mavs basketball after Friday, or should I direct all my energy towards watching the Rangers give us hope until 3rd week of May....?

:eddie:

NormanPride
4/27/2006, 03:13 PM
The Jazz got away with murder.

Truth. I loved all the hand check fouls on their end only when we started pulling away in the 3rd. Amazing how that helps a team out, huh?

jk the sooner fan
4/29/2006, 08:09 PM
Dirk and the Mavs go up 3-0 on the griz........a hell of a 3 point shot near the end of the game to send it in OT.....from there on out, it was gravy

i smell a sweep

colleyvillesooner
4/30/2006, 08:22 PM
that game was awesome.

GrapevineSooner
4/30/2006, 09:26 PM
Dirk and the Mavs go up 3-0 on the griz........a hell of a 3 point shot near the end of the game to send it in OT.....from there on out, it was gravy

i smell a sweep

Dallas did to Memphis what the Avs did to the Stars in Games 2 and 3.

I just don't see how after fighting so hard for 47 minutes and 46 seconds only to come up short, they'll have anything left in the tank for Monday night.

BeetDigger
5/1/2006, 10:02 AM
Dallas did to Memphis what the Avs did to the Stars in Games 2 and 3.

I just don't see how after fighting so hard for 47 minutes and 46 seconds only to come up short, they'll have anything left in the tank for Monday night.

I think that the difference here is that Dallas is clearly the better team vs. Memphis. And Memphis has not developed a game for the playoffs. Its funny but in basketball, it seems like teams need to be there a year or two to get used to it. In basketball, the veteran playoff teams seem to know how to win playoff games. Of course, that doesn't seem to be working in the Phoenix and LA series. Or even the Clipper - Nuggets series. Although in the latter, the Nuggets are just playing woeful. As woeful as a team can play really.

At the beggining of the playoffs, I thought that the Spurs would take the Mavericks. But the Kings seem to have a blueprint for beating them. I think that now, the Mavs can take either the Kings or the Spurs. I looks like a Mavs - Lakers final. Lots of basketball to be played, but that's what it looks like right now. I'm not a fan of the Mavs, but I would like to see them go to the finals.

jk the sooner fan
5/1/2006, 09:50 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2006, 10:24 PM
For the first time ever:

http://llamabutchers.mu.nu/broom.jpg

Feels good to be the first team to the next round. Use these days off to rest the injured. Gotta keep the focus.

GrapevineSooner
5/2/2006, 05:02 PM
For the first time ever in a Best-of-Seven series

http://llamabutchers.mu.nu/broom.jpg

Feels good to be the first team to the next round. Use these days off to rest the injured. Gotta keep the focus.

Fixed.

Keep in mind Dallas swept Minny 3-0 in 2002, the last year the NBA used a Best-of-Five format in the first round.

colleyvillesooner
5/2/2006, 05:04 PM
Fixed.

Keep in mind Dallas swept Minny 3-0 in 2002, the last year the NBA used a Best-of-Five format in the first round.

I know, I know, but it's not as cool when you gotta clarify it. :D