PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, about my gig Friday night

GottaHavePride
4/23/2006, 12:40 AM
OK, so here's the situation:

About a year ago a friend of mine decided to put together a latin band. Great, so he gathered up some heavy-hitters and put together a killer band with himself as the singer/bandleader. Then he got a job in south Texas teaching and left the group. So since then the band has been running more or less as a democracy, filling holes as a couple of other people have left the band.

Now to our problem: the conga player is starting to act as though he's the bandleader. By which I mean: trying to take charge of rehearsals, gradually moving himself more front-and-center in the setup at gigs, giving himself a mike to talk to the crowd, making decisions for the band without asking anyone else (like canceling a gig without asking anyone else about it), and so on...

Specifically, last night we had a serious problem, in that myself, our trumpet, and our bass player were all up at Wichita Jass Festival with the OU jazz bands. We got back to Norman late and the latin band's gig was delayed starting. By a solid hour. So he's all acting steamed at us for getting back late. Weeks ago when he asked if that was a good night to book a gig I told him "No. The three of us will be in Wichita that day, we're not sure when we play, and that festival always runs late, usually by hours." He booked it anyway. And then at the gig all night (on his microphone) he's taking backhanded jabs at us because he's ****ed.

I'm about to the point where I'm ready to tell him he either needs to tone down the attitude or try to find a new trombone player. And not to sound arrogant, but there isn't another trombone player in Oklahoma that could cover the book for this band without months of rehearsal. And even then they wouldn't get the style right. and I'm not the only one in the band that's starting to think this guy is a drag.

So I guess I'm just venting here.

PhxSooner
4/23/2006, 12:50 AM
How replaceable is the conga player?

And who the heck would schedule a gig on the same day as a gig in another town? Vent, GHP, vent!:D

OUAndy1807
4/23/2006, 12:55 AM
I can play tuba.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2006, 01:04 AM
And who the heck would schedule a gig on the same day as a gig in another town?

A guy that thinks he's in charge. And as to replaceability - the problem there is that he's moderately important in the School of Musics administration, and since most of the rest of the band are grad students, our lives become much more unpleasant if we go that route. Much easier for me just to say "hey, if the the whole band thinks it's worth firing me over this, go right ahead."

Of course, the band has two gigs on the 5th and 6th of May worth about $4,000 total, so basically every member of the band has become non-replaceable for at least the next two weeks.

The funny part is that with my schedule right now I probably won't be able to make any rehearsals before those gigs.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2006, 01:05 AM
I can play tuba.
That would be awesome. We could start playing Tejano music. I'll get on learning the accordion right quick. :D

apusooner
4/23/2006, 01:12 AM
Next gig 1.get wasted 2.buy every girl in the bar a drink 3.put all drinks on conga players tab 4. take home hot girl you got drunk on behalf of the conga player. 5. Don't forget to thank conga man for the beer.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2006, 01:19 AM
This plan of yours... I like it. :D

OUAndy1807
4/23/2006, 01:21 AM
so, is Emilio paying you guys 2 grand per gig?

apusooner
4/23/2006, 01:32 AM
I suppose you could cut a hole in his conga.
or smear a little dog poo on his mic

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 07:56 AM
so.....the guy who plays the conga.......cant control himself any longa?

StoopTroup
4/23/2006, 08:17 AM
Get a new conga player...:D

http://www.record-producer.com/i/conga.jpg

Okla-homey
4/23/2006, 09:14 AM
Conga players generally tend to be bossy. They come by it honest because the world's most succesful conga player was Desi Arnez ("Ricky Ricardo") who was also the bandleader.;)

just saying.

JohnnyMack
4/23/2006, 09:53 AM
At times like this I take a deep breath and remember what my dear departed Grandmother used to say, "Motherfu*ker you better recognize!". She then followed that up with a swift kick in the junk. Man I miss her.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2006, 12:25 PM
so, is Emilio paying you guys 2 grand per gig?

Heh. No. These are road gigs. One's around Tulsa, the other's in Duncan.

pb4ou
4/23/2006, 04:37 PM
If the other members feel the same, oust him. Tell him,, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

LoyalFan
4/23/2006, 11:55 PM
Definition: Mexican Music

German polkas played badly on stolen instruments.

LF