PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ignorant T-ball Ump

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 04:25 PM
I hope you can sleep well tonight knowing that you screwed a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds out of their game.

Seriously, this guy called the game so badly that even parents from the other team were wanting to just start over with a new ump so it would be fair.

slickdawg
4/22/2006, 04:29 PM
Send Stanley over to see him, that'll take care of him.

Flagstaffsooner
4/22/2006, 04:30 PM
What Big XII refs do in the off season.

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 04:37 PM
New umps start out in T-ball. We've usually gotten the 14 year old kids doing the games. Some were pretty good. We usually brought drinks for them - not as a bribe, but it can get so hot out there and they hardly get paid.
Most associations have a system in place for the coaches to explain their position on the ability, or lack of ability, to call a game.

soonerhubs
4/22/2006, 04:38 PM
What Big XII refs do in the off season.
Heh

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 04:51 PM
New umps start out in T-ball. We've usually gotten the 14 year old kids doing the games. Some were pretty good. We usually brought drinks for them - not as a bribe, but it can get so hot out there and they hardly get paid.
Most associations have a system in place for the coaches to explain their position on the ability, or lack of ability, to call a game.Well this guy was a lard a$s middle aged dude who has been in trouble for being drunk at the park before. On one call, our player accidently tagged the runner on his face. Totally not intentional or hard. They were both running fast. The ump called the runner safe because of the tag. The very next inning, my niece ran to 2nd and the runner pushed her off the base and the ump called her out.

At one point the other ump reversed his call, so he totally left the game for the rest of the inning. Then in the last inning, he miscalculated the outs and said our team had 3 outs but only scored 5 runs. We really only had two outs, and you can score the inning max of 6. It took him at least 10 minutes to figure it out so we got to finish the inning, but then time expired so we lost.

It's a good thing none of the grandmas know where he lives.

MamaMia
4/22/2006, 04:56 PM
You want oumartins son to kick his ***? ;)

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2006, 05:40 PM
People shouldn't take t-ball for a bunch of 5-6 year-olds so seriously. The kids were probably more upset by the parents and other spectators than by anything the officials did.

crawfish
4/22/2006, 05:42 PM
I just hope the "goooo raiders" guy wasn't a parent on the other team...

StoopTroup
4/22/2006, 05:52 PM
Hey...be easy on the guy...he's going through a rough time...;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/01/30/froemming_suspended_ap/t1_froemming_all.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/01/30/froemming_suspended_ap/

SoonerInFla
4/22/2006, 05:58 PM
Well this guy was a lard a$s middle aged dude who has been in trouble for being drunk at the park before.

Hmmmm, let's let the drunken lard *** umpire our 6 year old girls games. Makes perfectly good sense to me.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 06:00 PM
People shouldn't take t-ball for a bunch of 5-6 year-olds so seriously. The kids were probably more upset by the parents and other spectators than by anything the officials did.An umpire shouldn't steal a game either.

Soonrboy
4/22/2006, 06:07 PM
Does your niece play in the Del City league or the Moore league.? Mine plays in the Del City and there are a couple of umps that just stand around and flirt with the moms, not ****s, while the game is going on.

Jimminy Crimson
4/22/2006, 06:47 PM
SBSB plays t-ball with 5 and 6 year olds? :confused:

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2006, 06:50 PM
They group the kids by height.

olevetonahill
4/22/2006, 06:53 PM
You want oumartins son to kick his ***? ;)
After today Ill take his azz out :)
But really when I coached T-ball we didnt even keep score , just let the kids have fun :cool:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2006, 07:27 PM
i almost tossed 2 6 year olds out of a tball game and gave them a multi-game suspension. one was incessantly heckling my batters and another one told one of my players (who is physically handicapped) that he looked funny and started laughing at him. the first was like a mosquito so i told the other team's coach to sentence him to the outfield. the other almost didn't reach 7.

topic for next board meeting -> tball suspensions.

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 07:47 PM
The very next inning, my niece ran to 2nd and the runner pushed her off the base and the ump called her out.

Depending on how your niece was pushed off, that could have been legal. The fielder is allowed to tage the runner, and it is the runner's responsibility to stay on the base. Only exception would be if the fielder put two hands on your niece's body, and literally shoved her, but I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/22/2006, 08:13 PM
WWE Presents....6 Year Old Tee ball!!!! Let the bodies hit the flooooooooooooooooor

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/22/2006, 08:13 PM
I didn't even know they kept score in T-Ball!!!!

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 08:58 PM
SBSB, sorry, but I have to agree about the tag to the face. Accident or not, it can be a serious injury - even in T-ball.

My son was trying to slide into second and avoid the secondbaseman who had the ball. The guy tagged him on the side of the head, knocking his helmet off. So the first impact was the ball to the side of the head, the second impact was back of the head hitting the ground. He was unconscious until he reached the hospital - a good 10 minute drive. The secondbaseman was ejected, though it was jsut in the heat of play, not intent to hurt. That's prolly why he is so strange.

skycat
4/22/2006, 09:05 PM
I got knocked flat out by a tag to the head, way back when I played baseball.

At least I think it was a tag to the head. I still can't remember a single thing that happened to me for that entire day.

It was weird waking up the next morning.

VeeJay
4/22/2006, 09:08 PM
I woulda thrown a syringe at the ump.

He had it coming, sounds like.

tulsaoilerfan
4/22/2006, 09:17 PM
I didn't even know they kept score in T-Ball!!!!
Some leagues do, although we don't here in our league to avoid just that sort of thing; t-ball and coach pitch are where the riots always occur in little league. :D

tulsaoilerfan
4/22/2006, 09:20 PM
I hope you can sleep well tonight knowing that you screwed a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds out of their game.

Seriously, this guy called the game so badly that even parents from the other team were wanting to just start over with a new ump so it would be fair.
T-ball games are by far the WORST to have to ump; i had to do it in high school, and sometimes the parents and coaches get just a little carried away; my home plate ump threw a lady out of the park once cause she wouldn't shut up.
:eek:
John

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 09:25 PM
SBSB, sorry, but I have to agree about the tag to the face. Accident or not, it can be a serious injury - even in T-ball.

Example #1 of why women shouldn't be allowed at sporting events. ;)

But seriously, tagging someone out in the head is perfectly within the rules. I've done it many times, probably MUCH harder than you've ever seen done. It is part of the game, just like sliding in to 2nd base to break up a double play. My brother was a 2nd baseman and got his leg broken that way. Know what my dad said to him? "Next time, you'll do it right and get out of the way". It is part of the game.

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 09:34 PM
Stanley, in T-ball and coach's pitch, the local leagues didn't allow tags to the head. In the older groups, it was legal.

VeeJay
4/22/2006, 09:37 PM
Reminds me of when I was playing in Babe Ruth League baseball. I was playing third. My best buddy, playing shortstop at the time, got his most hated enemy, Bob Leach, in a rundown between second and third.

This grudge went back a couple of years to an old football hit. They hated each other. My buddy not only tagged him in the rundown, but took the right hand on his glove and basically, body slammed Leach on the infield. If Leach had said anything, I think my buddy would have jumped him and beat the sh!t out of him. Fortunately, the umps didn't know of the feud. Or my buddy would have been tossed out of the game.

Good times!

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 09:38 PM
Stanley, in T-ball and coach's pitch, the local leagues didn't allow tags to the head. In the older groups, it was legal.

Well, if the rules said you can't tag in the head, it was the correct call. I just never played in a league that had that rule, didn't know it existed.

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 09:41 PM
Reminds me of when I was playing in Babe Ruth League baseball. I was playing third. My best buddy, playing shortstop at the time, got his most hated enemy, Bob Leach, in a rundown between second and third.

This grudge went back a couple of years to an old football hit. They hated each other. My buddy not only tagged him in the rundown, but took the right hand on his glove and basically, body slammed Leach on the infield. If Leach had said anything, I think my buddy would have jumped him and beat the sh!t out of him. Fortunately, the umps didn't know of the feud. Or my buddy would have been tossed out of the game.

Good times!

Heh.

Yea, I played against a few guys that were complete studs, and acted that way. Specifically, Brad Penny (Dodgers now), Greg Bauer (Wichita St./minors), and a 4 time State wrestling champ from Bixby named Shane Roller. If they got on first, and I was pitching or playing 1st, we'd throw over and either tag them hard, or if they slid swipe dirt in their face. Part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Jimminy Crimson
4/22/2006, 10:24 PM
If they got on first, and I was pitching or playing 1st, we'd throw over and either tag them hard, or if they slid swipe dirt in their face. Part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with Stan.

It builds character. :cool:

If you don't want a contact sport, try ballet or figure skating. haha

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/22/2006, 10:35 PM
Heh.

Yea, I played against a few guys that were complete studs, and acted that way. Specifically, Brad Penny (Dodgers now), Greg Bauer (Wichita St./minors), and a 4 time State wrestling champ from Bixby named Shane Roller. If they got on first, and I was pitching or playing 1st, we'd throw over and either tag them hard, or if they slid swipe dirt in their face. Part of the game as far as I'm concerned.

holy carp, who did you play for. i think i still have a bruise from where penny nailed me in the back...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 11:01 PM
To answer the questions:

1) It's Moore baseball. It was my nephew's team, but my niece was subbing for a tournament with them.

2) The tag to the face: The ump said "well he was out but because of the tag to the face, I'm calling him safe"

3) My niece was on the 2nd base bag after she hit a double. The other kid ran up to her and instead of just tagging her, he pushed her off.

4) They take score because it is a competitve league. Most of these kids have been playing tball at least 2 seasons. In Moore, "B" league teams don't take score I don't think

5) The ump has gotten p1ssed before at some of the parents. That is no excuse to take it out on the kids.

6) It says in the rule book that the ump is not to leave the field. . .there are supposed to be 2. He left for the rest of the 2nd inning after the other ump overturned one of his sh1tty calls.

Flagstaffsooner
4/23/2006, 12:49 AM
Example #1 of why women shouldn't be allowed at sporting events. ;)

That would free up some OU tickets.:D

achiro
4/23/2006, 08:19 AM
Keeping score in 5-6 year old t-ball is for the parents. The kids get NOTHING out of it. Tournaments at that age are beyond rediculous. Keep it fun at that age or your asking for most kids to reach burn out quickly.
You want to help a kid get great at baseball, the first ingredient is genetics, and heres a hint on the second...it has little to nothing to do with game play. Think about it. In an average game, besides the pitcher, catcher, and maybe the first baseman, how much time does the player get to touch the ball? At bat one or two swings in t-ball, a couple more in coach pitch.

anyway, off rant.:D

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 08:27 AM
a couple a notes here

since when do umps also act as the official scorer? thats the home teams responsibility to keep the official score

when i coached tball....our league didnt keep score, and frankly, the kids cared more about what kind of snack and drink they were getting after the game

tball isnt supposed to be quite so serious......in the grand scheme of things, winning or losing that game wont leave any permanent scars on the psychy of a 6 year old

BajaOklahoma
4/23/2006, 08:36 AM
And Stanley, you should sit beside me at a hockey game. :P

The point you guys seem to be missing is that SOME leagues consider T-ball and coach's pitch to be "instructional level" and the rules are slightly different to protect kids who are developing skills.

Skills vary widely at this age. Lil Baja routinely hit homers and could catch the ball in T-ball - mainly due to playing neighborhood baseball with her older brothers since age two. Other kids hardly knew how to hold their mitt.

SBSB, our T-ball teams didn't officially keep score. But the parents and kids were well aware of who won. Our kids, for the most part, were younger siblings of kids who had played ball before. The kids didn't care what the final score was as long as they won, but it also mattered if they scored.

Our parents were forbidden from saying anything to the officials or other team, no coaching our kids during the game and no negative comments. We broke the rule to say good hit or good catch to the other team and nobody cared. But our coach warned us that if we broke the rules, our kids would sit out. Amazing how well that worked.
We usually had cool drinks and cold, wet towels to offer the umps. Before we left the field, we would always offer to give them any ice we had left over. Amazing how that would pay off down the road. Umps liked us for it and they usually had a good attitude for our game.

Your niece shouldn't have been pushed off the base. It's very frustrating when you see something happen that the umps miss. It's hard to remember that they are viewing the field from a different angle, maybe watching a different part of the field at that moment. And officials blow calls in baseball, football and hockey. If they are making an honest effort, I can usually get over it. But the ones who don't care or have a hidden agenda p!ss me off.

StoopTroup
4/23/2006, 08:45 AM
Parents should be seen and not heard?

Verdict please.

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 09:01 AM

Verdict please.

At tball, or in general?

IB4OU2
4/23/2006, 09:04 AM
I was thrown out of the game when I was coaching a midget league (11 and 12 year olds) team in Tulsa (Grisham). The umpire was terrible and I let him know about it along with all the parents. for some reason his strike zone shrunk to about 6x6 inches when we were on the field and grew to about 3x3 feet when we were batting. We(the parents and I) had a meeting the next night and filed a formal protest with the league that week. We never saw that ump again after that.

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 09:16 AM
I was thrown out of the game when I was coaching a midget league (11 and 12 year olds) team in Tulsa (Grisham). The umpire was terrible and I let him know about it along with all the parents. for some reason his strike zone shrunk to about 6x6 inches when we were on the field and grew to about 3x3 feet when we were batting. We(the parents and I) had a meeting the next night and filed a formal protest with the league that week. We never saw that ump again after that.

Dude, what league was that? We played Grisham a few times, probably back around '86-'87, something like that. Where did you all play your games?

reevie
4/23/2006, 09:26 AM
I've been coaching for 6 years and from the begining we taught our kids to tag low, not the face. But the kids get excited out there and don't think, just react. So they tag what they see, the runner's face. They don't do it on purpose, but they don't think about what they're doing. Which drives us up a wall. Now we're working getting them to tag feet when the runner slides. So far we seemed to have made progress in that they're tagging the knees and not the hips any more.

I do my best to ignore the umps during a game. I'll let the parents and head coach vent at them. I'm trying to get the kids to understand that regardless of the call, they have to get over it and play the game. It is hard for kids (and adults) to grasp that (especially when you have a kid called out on strike 2), but it's part of life.

IB4OU2
4/23/2006, 09:32 AM
Dude, what league was that? We played Grisham a few times, probably back around '86-'87, something like that. Where did you all play your games?

Bro., we played at a lot of places, Lafortune park most of the time though and I was coaching that team in 81, after that year I coached my daughter's T-ball and softball teams.

I coached Boogers little league teams in Norman back in the 70's and had a great team in 74 (the Monroe Jets) Darrel Dickey was my shortstop.

I could'nt play the game much but I enjoyed coaching them. :)

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 09:45 AM
the following is just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it

i've coached little league in both soccer and baseball....both my boys have played every little league sport there is, except basketball (we're a short white family)

i went to most practices and almost all games for both of them.....i've watched parents act like major idiots at little league games where the outcome is but a mere spek on the radar of life

the percentage of kids who start out at "t-ball" and end up in the majors is extremely small......and just above that is the percentage of kids who start out at t-ball and play past the junior high level....there are more that lose interest than those who keep it....the ones who really love the game and want to continue playing are more likely to do so on their own than they are from any parental pressure.........so if you're watching your kid, just enjoy it...

i remember a conversation i had with jk3 who was pitching in a little league game.....all of a sudden he couldnt find the strike zone to save his life, i said "c'mon buddy, throw a strike".........his response served as a reminder for me always "dad, its not like i'm trying to throw balls"

we put way too much pressure on kids at way too early an age in sports.....and we put way too much emphasis on the outcome of a game between a bunch of 6 year olds......

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/23/2006, 10:04 AM
JK, I agree with all of that. We have good experiences at the park and the kids love it and are learning and having a good time. I agree that parents can get out of control. Several times I have thought "geez people. It's not the World Series."

The point of this thread was this particular ump. It's pretty bad when the opposing team and bystanders not associated with either team can see that the calls are so blatantly one sided.

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 10:07 AM
agreed, there are tons of crappy little league refs........they dont get paid much, they get even less training.....i never let the kids i coached get wrapped up in what the umps did or didnt do....all of a sudden the game becomes about the ump and not the kids....its easier to just say "yeah, it wasnt a good day but we get to play again next wekk"

if the kids blame the ump once, they'll do it again the next time something goes wrong

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/23/2006, 10:13 AM
And I just want to clarify that our frustration with this guy wasn't because he missed one call, but because he missed several. Also, this is not the first time he did this to the team. It's almost like he is out to see our team lose for whatever reason.

You are right, they don't get paid much and I appreciate what they do. There is this one ump that calls games fairly. Sure he sometimes will miss a call, but you can tell he loves what he does and loves being around the kids. He will tell them good job or politely remind them of a rule if they forget. This is a contrast to the other ump.

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 10:15 AM
when i lived in new jersey, jk2 was on a team in what i would call a VERY WELL run little league....new jersey understands how little league baseball is supposed to go, and it was a great experience....i was an assistant coach, and the head coach had a habit of having the kids who couldnt hit, try and bunt their way on in situations where "free swinging" really wasnt going to do any good.....i didnt always agree with that, but i understood why he did it

right before the playoffs, in front of the entire team, one of the dads just totally went off on the coach....this guys son was one of the weaker players...and dad didnt agree with the way the coach directed the team...it was the most embarrassing thing i think i've ever seen in little league

our team won the league championship that year.....jk2 played third and made a crucial out late in the game with his glove at 3d base....he was never the greatest hitter on the team...far from it, but with all the strikeouts he had that year, he remembers that catch and his defensive play, and the championship jacket he still has....kids keep things in better perspective than alot of parents do

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 10:21 AM
Missing a call in tball is hard to do. Baseball, due to the speed of the game, and calling balls/strikes, I can see. But imo, if the guy is missing multiple calls in tball, he's probably just there to collect what little pay he is getting, and not really "trying".

Scott D
4/23/2006, 10:22 AM
I can think of many instances where I wish parents had been banned from my little league games......many.....instances. (not mine because they rarely went other than to drop me off)

jk the sooner fan
4/23/2006, 10:28 AM
I can think of many instances where I wish parents had been banned from my little league games......many.....instances. (not mine because they rarely went other than to drop me off)

i coached a kid in san antonio, his parents never came to games, they were using the team as a babysitting service imo......sad, because this kid had so much raw talent, it wasnt funny....i had him playing in centerfield, once he learned to catch, it was fun to watch him throw the ball on a rope from deep centerfield to the rubber.....parents took him out right before the season ended so he could get ready for football.....what a waste

tulsaoilerfan
4/23/2006, 10:33 AM
I still think T-ball should not keep score as most of the kids don't even know who wins or loses after the game; i even had a couple in coach pitch that would ask me who won after we got our butts kicked. lol

John

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2006, 11:01 AM
jk, the only thing i'd add is that during the game they want to play either pitcher or catcher. i have a sheet where i rotate them from position to position with each player getting to player either pitcher or catcher in the game.

one of the things that i made sure of was that crap that happened when i was in sand springs didn't happen up here. we stipulated that there was no running players down. the pitcher has to throw the ball overhand to the base and they have to apply the tag or the force. this last team was a little bit more competitive than we were so he was having them throw it overhand into the ground.

one of the problems that i've had with my oldest daughter is that i applied what works at home to the ball field. she tries to do as little as possible to get by. so up til this year, it was hard not to tell her to pay attention, concentrate, etc. this year however, she really wants to be a good pitcher. she asked for a pitching coach, she pitches every night. the first game i kept reminding her about her form for an inning and a half (even though it was pouring down rain). it then dawned on me that she knows more about her form than i do, so i shut up. in her second game she just mowed them down. the only thing i told her was what the hitter did the last time up.

StoopTroup
4/23/2006, 01:14 PM
At tball, or in general?
I was asking a question, but yes in general when it comes to young kids sporting events would make my ? more specific.

Soonrboy
4/23/2006, 01:18 PM
My 8 year old plays machine pitch...very rarely after the game does she know who won..she usually has to ask. The girls are having fun. The parents get ****ed. I get ****ed, especially when I think my girl's been wronged. It's part of the protection thing, I guess.

C&CDean
4/23/2006, 01:30 PM
I'll weigh in.

1. I've coached kids for almost 25 years now. At the T-ball age, they don't have a clue whether they won or lost. And furthermore, don't care. They're having fun. It's the parents/aunties who **** it all up by taking it seriously.

2. Why is your niece playing T-ball? Unless it's "T-softball" it's a man's game. I don't sign my boys up for women's volleyball.

3. I umped junior high baseball for a couple years. I was damn good at it too. Best I ever saw in fact. And almost every game, some dumbass in the stands had to pop off. Coaches and players knew better cause they'd get tossed, and I have had a couple parents removed from the stands for being nimrods.

Little kids (under 9 or so) shouldn't even have score kept. Learn the fundamentals. Learn sportsmanship. Learn teamwork. Learn how to wipe your butt. But no, their stupid dad or mom has to ruin everything by embarrassing the poor kid. Then, the kid learns to be a dumbass just like their parents and does the same stupid **** when they have kids.

Overall, I love kids and hate parents.

SoonerInKCMO
4/23/2006, 02:26 PM
I coached U-10 soccer one year when I was in high school. It would have been a lot more fun if the parents would've stayed home.

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 02:43 PM
I'll weigh in.

1. I've coached kids for almost 25 years now. At the T-ball age, they don't have a clue whether they won or lost. And furthermore, don't care. They're having fun. It's the parents/aunties who **** it all up by taking it seriously.

2. Why is your niece playing T-ball? Unless it's "T-softball" it's a man's game. I don't sign my boys up for women's volleyball.

3. I umped junior high baseball for a couple years. I was damn good at it too. Best I ever saw in fact. And almost every game, some dumbass in the stands had to pop off. Coaches and players knew better cause they'd get tossed, and I have had a couple parents removed from the stands for being nimrods.

Little kids (under 9 or so) shouldn't even have score kept. Learn the fundamentals. Learn sportsmanship. Learn teamwork. Learn how to wipe your butt. But no, their stupid dad or mom has to ruin everything by embarrassing the poor kid. Then, the kid learns to be a dumbass just like their parents and does the same stupid **** when they have kids.

I agree with most of that, except I always knew the score in tball, and definitely knew if we won. I think that went for the entire team too. Of course, when you are one of the best teams in the state, and you don't lose many games, maybe that makes a difference.

We lost one game during my 2nd grade year. It was tball back then, but is coach pitch now I believe. I remember the score, how the last couple of plays went, and the defensive changes my dad (the coach) made b/c we had to get the guy at the plate (catcher is usually where you hide a guy at that age). So I guess what I'm saying is, is that I don't buy that kids can't remember stuff, and don't care about winning/losing. I know I certainly did.

Cam
4/23/2006, 04:03 PM
I just hope the "goooo raiders" guy wasn't a parent on the other team...
Thankfully, he doesn't have children.

Cam
4/23/2006, 04:04 PM

Verdict please.
Werd.

Let the kids play it out on the field.

BajaOklahoma
4/23/2006, 04:10 PM
Hmmmm. For coach's pitch and up, we usually had our best players at first, pitcher and home. Both baseball & softball. Rarely scored on too.
The coaches had a rule that every player learned (and played) an infield position and an outfield position. By the end of the season, every player had an equal number of innings played, though if you took off for vacation, you didn't get to make that up, and very close to even in the infield/outfield inning played. It could take hours to figure out, but if you positioned your stronger player appropriately, you could compensate for the weaker players.

Sooner_Bob
4/23/2006, 04:18 PM
People shouldn't take t-ball for a bunch of 5-6 year-olds so seriously. The kids were probably more upset by the parents and other spectators than by anything the officials did.

My oldest played t-ball a few years ago and they didn't even keep score.

SoonerInKCMO
4/23/2006, 04:19 PM
I agree with most of that, except I always knew the score in tball, and definitely knew if we won. I think that went for the entire team too. Of course, when you are one of the best teams in the state, and you don't lose many games, maybe that makes a difference.

We lost one game during my 2nd grade year. It was tball back then, but is coach pitch now I believe. I remember the score, how the last couple of plays went, and the defensive changes my dad (the coach) made b/c we had to get the guy at the plate (catcher is usually where you hide a guy at that age). So I guess what I'm saying is, is that I don't buy that kids can't remember stuff, and don't care about winning/losing. I know I certainly did.

Heh. One of the best t-ball teams in the state.

Glory days well they'll pass you by.. :twinkies:

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 04:29 PM
Heh. One of the best t-ball teams in the state.

Glory days well they'll pass you by.. :twinkies:

I ain't braggin', just sayin'. I've been on teams that have gone entire seasons without losing. Heck, my brother's team went 4 straight seasons without losing a game. This, in a competitive league, not a recreational one. I'm damn proud of some of those accomplishments, as well as some of the ones I had in HS. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Don't hate b/c you weren't any good. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
4/23/2006, 04:35 PM
Don't hate b/c you weren't any good. ;)

You're talking to a member of the 1986 OSSA U-19 State Champion team. Undefeated. Outscored opponents 13-2 with three shutouts in four games in the state tournament. Beyonce. :D

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 04:36 PM
You're talking to a member of the 1986 OSSA U-19 State Champion team. Undefeated. Outscored opponents 13-2 with three shutouts in four games in the state tournament. Beyonce. :D

13 runs in 4 games? Your offense SUCKED. Heh. :D

SoonerInKCMO
4/23/2006, 04:38 PM
I'm talking soccer - 3.25 goals per game is an offensive JUGGERNAUT, baby!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/23/2006, 04:41 PM
Dean,

She normally plays T-softball, but the baseball league is co-ed, so she plays on that team for tournaments.

Her t-softball team knows who wins or loses, because like Stanley's team was when he played, these girls are damn good with a lot of talent. Even though they are so young, they are very competitive. They practice hard and have picked up on the fundamentals. I get frustrated when other teams let their kids run after a runner instead of throwing the ball to the closest player, because that doesn't teach the kids anything.

Stanley1
4/23/2006, 04:45 PM

LOL.....I didn't even catch that. Nice jorb, I'll buy you a beer should we ever meet. :D

ChickSoonerFan
4/23/2006, 04:58 PM
My oldest daughter's first game this year they lost 14-1. :eek:

She knew they lost but looked at me completely seriously and said, "It was close thought, right mom?" She had no idea of the score.

This week they won 14-2 and they never even hit the ball once. They walked every time. I think this is on the extreme side of not being very competitive, they are in it just for fun. She is in the 5th grade, they should be a bit more agressive at this age probably.

Cam
4/23/2006, 05:03 PM
I'm guessing TFC.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/24/2006, 09:32 AM
Another question from a youngster....these kids have been playing T-Ball for 3 years....I only thought special Olympics kids played T-Ball for three years. You know what is funny though, is usually that team is practicing hard core and learning t-ball and beating everyone 27-0 are usually the team with the worst parents. Because their parents are pressuring them to be that much better than everyone else. Making your kids become awesome T-Ball players isn't going to help them when they turn 18. Do you know why Dominican and South American kids are so good at baseball....because those kids get up and go play every day. Not to win, but because they really enjoy it. That is how you get good, is going out and throwing the ball all day with your friends from sun up to sun down. I am not a huge fan of the organized sports for kids that age really...There is just something incredibly bonding about going out to an open field with like 10 friends and just throwing the ball around all day. I am still friends with everyone I did that with. I understand for city kids, it is more difficult though.

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 09:43 AM
This, in a competitive league, not a recreational one. I'm damn proud of some of those accomplishments, as well as some of the ones I had in HS. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

You hit off a tee in High School too?

Stanley1
4/24/2006, 09:52 AM
Another question from a youngster....these kids have been playing T-Ball for 3 years....I only thought special Olympics kids played T-Ball for three years.

Up until about 10 years ago, 2nd grade was tball too. Now it is coach pitch. If you play when you are 4-5, then in Kindergarten, then in 1st grade, you can easily see where 3 years isn't that much.

I also disagree that the fans of winning teams are always the worst. Heck, most of the little league teams I played on we didn't even have many fans, b/c the kids had a bunch of deadbeat parents.

XingTheRubicon
4/24/2006, 12:38 PM
I'll weigh in.

Holy crap, Dean's exactly right.

It simply works like this as far as umps/refs go.

There are two schools of thought when the refs seem to be screwing you:

1. Play your guts out and overcome every obstacle.

2. The refs/umps cheated us

Aggies choose #2. They learn it from the embryonic stage forward.

Pricetag
4/24/2006, 01:09 PM

You may remember the score and who won and lost, but I think what most people are trying to say is that it doesn't come naturally for kids at that age. They pick it up from overzealous coaches and parents. My neice plays t-softball, and half the girls don't even know a game is going on. Heck, some of them sit down out in the field.

C&CDean
4/24/2006, 02:50 PM
Stanley,

If you honestly remember the final score and scenario of a T-ball game you played in you have got some serious issues my man. Hell, I played on Holiday House Cafeterias - the #1 team in the Arizona International Little League from ages 9 through 13. We lost one game in that stretch. I made All Stars for the last 2 years of that time.

Besides the one time I got hit upside the head with a bat while playing catcher on a batter's follow through and woke up in a hospital, a homerun I hit to win a game during the All Stars, and breaking my wrist diving for a pop foul, I don't remember jack. I had fun. Couldn't tell you a single score. Same goes for coaching. I've been coaching since you were ****tin' yellah, and I couldn't tell you a single score of a single game.

You need to not take yourself so seriously.

sanantoniosooner
4/24/2006, 02:55 PM
When I played t-ball, I hit a ball so hard it made the shortstop take his glove off and start crying.

About all I remember.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/24/2006, 03:06 PM
My oldest daughter's first game this year they lost 14-1. :eek:

She knew they lost but looked at me completely seriously and said, "It was close thought, right mom?" She had no idea of the score.

This week they won 14-2 and they never even hit the ball once. They walked every time. I think this is on the extreme side of not being very competitive, they are in it just for fun. She is in the 5th grade, they should be a bit more agressive at this age probably.

it is a heck of a lot easier to translate pitching for boys than it is for girls. since everyone starts learning how to throw overhand, it isn't as big of a stretch for boys to pitch. for girls, coaches don't even start showing them the motion until their first year of pitch ball. depending on their athletic level, it may take 2 years of practicing it to get them to throw half their pitches for strikes. our league is divided up as follows

5-6 tball
7-8 machine pitch
9-12 fast pitch

good players can play up at any level. there are typically 20 players per age group and out of them you'll net 1 good pitcher. those of course, end up on a travelling select team. my daughter is 11 and thinks she's cat osterman (oh, the indignity of her asking to go to the texas softball camp this summer) by either striking them out or giving up a gopher ball. in her division there are 6 teams and there are only 2 other pitchers that can throw strikes (both on the travelling team). it makes for some long games.

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 03:07 PM
I coached U-10 soccer one year when I was in high school. It would have been a lot more fun if the parents would've stayed home.

I coached my daughters U-8 team this year. I wanted them to put winning behind everything else and wanted improvement and effort to be the goal each week. But after about two games, the girls got upset if we lost. They were taking it seriously. It was hard for me to not focus on the score if they were focusing on it. So, I started to worry about the score more.

I made one girl cry during our last game. She has played before, but you would never know it. She would never give any effort. I am always yelling at them to give effort. I kept saying "go get the ball" or "go get back" and she is so clueless, she had no idea that the situations dictated which thing to do. She starts crying "you tell me to go this way and then you tell me to go that way, I don't know where to go." Its hard when every player had some idea about the game but her.

One of the parents told my wife that they wished I would coach next year. They liked it that I made them disaplined and didn't let them screw around.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/24/2006, 03:09 PM
When I played t-ball, I hit a ball so hard it made the shortstop take his glove off and start crying.

About all I remember.

one of my few memories from tball is a guy swinging his bat and it sticking in another kids mouth - blood, teeth and spit went everywhere. still a pretty vivid memory.

Scott D
4/24/2006, 03:24 PM
I have no memories of t-ball..now older leagues, yes.

soonerjoker
4/25/2006, 10:12 AM
there should be professional umps for games of 3 year-olds & up.

for 6 year-olds there should be cameras for instant replay.

Stanley1
4/25/2006, 12:33 PM
Stanley,

If you honestly remember the final score and scenario of a T-ball game you played in you have got some serious issues my man. Hell, I played on Holiday House Cafeterias - the #1 team in the Arizona International Little League from ages 9 through 13. We lost one game in that stretch. I made All Stars for the last 2 years of that time.

Besides the one time I got hit upside the head with a bat while playing catcher on a batter's follow through and woke up in a hospital, a homerun I hit to win a game during the All Stars, and breaking my wrist diving for a pop foul, I don't remember jack. I had fun. Couldn't tell you a single score. Same goes for coaching. I've been coaching since you were ****tin' yellah, and I couldn't tell you a single score of a single game.

You need to not take yourself so seriously.

It has nothing to do with "taking myself too seriously". Baseball, in general, is one of my better memories growing up. Its what my family did during the summer, EVERY YEAR. And.....I loved it. I can remember family vacations back that long ago too, so it isn't just baseball. I'm sure there is something that is "special" to you that you remember from when you were younger. I'd probably think that memory was stupid too. But it means something to you.

And for the record Dean, you couldn't hold my jock in baseball. Fo realz. :texan:

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 12:48 PM
And for the record Dean, you couldn't hold my jock in baseball. Fo realz. :texan:

I don't think he'd be interested. He likes holding female genitalia. :dean:

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think he'd be interested. He likes holding female genitalia. :dean:
and the conflict is.........???

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 01:17 PM
and the conflict is.........???

I think I'm supposed to say "OH SNAP" or something like that here... :cool:

sanantoniosooner
4/25/2006, 01:20 PM
I think I'm supposed to say "OH SNAP" or something like that here... :cool:
well it's the rule..........but I'm not gonna make ya do it if you don't want to.

I think there's a gray area when it involves somebody 'outside' the clique like myself.

;)

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 01:25 PM
From the clique:

http://static.flickr.com/46/131327718_577736f63f_o.gif

Stanley1
4/25/2006, 01:32 PM
From the clique:

http://static.flickr.com/46/131327718_577736f63f_o.gif

You aren't in my clique anymore. You are on my "list", however. :mad:

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 01:33 PM
You aren't in my clique anymore. You are on my "list", however. :mad:

Pssst. Clique's are more than two people. ;)