PDA

View Full Version : patio furniture repair

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 01:58 PM
My wife bought a four-piece wrought iron and wood patio set at a garage sale "because the whole set was $20". Nevermind that we don't need it, nor have enough patio for it. The iron pieces are in good shape, but a lot of the wooden slats should probably be replaced. What kind of wood is that? I really don't want to put too much money into the $20 set. I know teak and redwood would work, but they're too expensive. It's a large bench, a table and 2 chairs. Should it be a hardwood? Pressure-treated wood would be too ugly, wouldn't it? Could I just use something like pine as long as I seal it, or would pine be too weak to sit on? Any ideas, guys?

1stTimeCaller
4/22/2006, 02:00 PM
balsa

You're welcome.

Flagstaffsooner
4/22/2006, 02:04 PM
Pine will work if you put a preservative coating on it. Sand it so you don't get splinters in your funky butt.;)

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 02:12 PM
Pine will work if you put a preservative coating on it. Sand it so you don't get splinters in your funky butt.;)
Even if I like splinters?

1stTimeCaller
4/22/2006, 02:13 PM
Even if I like splinters?

you're thinking of sphincters. :les:

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 02:15 PM
you're thinking of sphincters. :les:
Now I gotta sand sphincters, too?

1stTimeCaller
4/22/2006, 02:17 PM
whatever it takes man,
what.
ever it.
takes.

Flagstaffsooner
4/22/2006, 02:20 PM
Now I gotta sand sphincters, too?I will refer you to a proctologist.

Now seriously, Doc, are you talking about slat like wood?

StoopTroup
4/22/2006, 02:22 PM
:texan: :eek:

From Last Paragraph in link: I’d like to entertain you by telling a quick anecdote about the sand impaction suffered by my sphincters during my adventures in Maui. It began with my curious encounter with a rambling Scottish Terrier of the highest quality breed in the wonderfully decadent hotel lobby. We soon found ourselves in my fifteenth floor penthouse, and the sensational and toothy canine began exploring my porcelain bodice, licking its expeditious way from the nape of my glistening neck to my musky underparts. After my detailed debriefing of tantric knowledge, our pleasure surged and we basked in the intense light of the hounds of heaven! Of heaven, my friend!

http://www.texastravesty.com/content.php?issueNumber=2003_11&story=opinion_todd

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 02:24 PM
I will refer you to a proctologist.

Now seriously, Doc, are you talking about slat like wood?
Yup. Kinda like this (not quite that fancy on the back rest):

http://www.makeitnigeria.com/onlinestore/images/weaveparkbench.jpg

MamaMia
4/22/2006, 02:27 PM
Are you planning on doing this yourself or hiring a handy man? Maybe you should get yourself a Pedro. :D

Flagstaffsooner
4/22/2006, 02:31 PM
Yup. Kinda like this (not quite that fancy on the back rest):

http://www.makeitnigeria.com/onlinestore/images/weaveparkbench.jpg
Use yellow pine. Coat it with polyurathane. Several coats.

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 02:34 PM
Are you planning on doing this yourself or hiring a handy man? Maybe you should get yourself a Pedro. :D
Myself. Pedro would be too distracting to my wife.

OUDoc
4/22/2006, 02:35 PM
Use yellow pine. Coat it with polyurathane. Several coats.
Cool. If my a** falls through it, I can still blame you, right? ;)

4/22/2006, 05:00 PM
Assuming there aren't any 300#+ people in your family, you will probably be safe with spruce pine. Poplar would be my choice, though. It is one of the more affordable hard woods and mills very nicely. Not near as many knots as pine.

Okla-homey
4/22/2006, 05:02 PM
My wife bought a four-piece wrought iron and wood patio set at a garage sale "because the whole set was $20". Nevermind that we don't need it, nor have enough patio for it. The iron pieces are in good shape, but a lot of the wooden slats should probably be replaced. What kind of wood is that? I really don't want to put too much money into the $20 set. I know teak and redwood would work, but they're too expensive. It's a large bench, a table and 2 chairs. Should it be a hardwood? Pressure-treated wood would be too ugly, wouldn't it? Could I just use something like pine as long as I seal it, or would pine be too weak to sit on? Any ideas, guys?

cypress. seriously.

You're welcome.

sanantoniosooner
4/22/2006, 05:04 PM
teak.......yer a doc......you got the money

Jimminy Crimson
4/22/2006, 06:42 PM
There are a few wood pallet builders that don't have jobs anymore, maybe you could give them a call. :texan:

SoonerWood
4/22/2006, 07:26 PM
+1 on the teak.

buuuut just for fun, use Lignum Vitae.

OUinFLA
4/22/2006, 10:23 PM
duct tape

better get two rolls.

Jimminy Crimson
4/22/2006, 10:26 PM
Industrial strength rubber bands!

Okla-homey
4/23/2006, 01:33 PM
here's why I like cypress...

These people have been making outdoor furniture for sub-tropical climates for about 80 years. Its the only wood they use. We've got one of these benches we've had for 20 years. Always outside, just a little paint touch-up on the metal parts from time to time and it still looks great.

You simply cannot buy a more beautiful or durable piece of outdoor furniture than one of these babies.

http://www.birlant.com/bench.htm