PDA

View Full Version : United Flight 93 and Rotten Tomatoes

JohnnyMack
4/22/2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/

I wonder if anyone is going to come out and say, "this movie sucked"?

Don't get all political on me, I'm just axing you a question.

StoopTroup
4/22/2006, 12:16 PM
Ummmm....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=477875

slickdawg
4/22/2006, 12:23 PM
After Walk the Line got screwed over, I don't care any more.

yermom
4/22/2006, 12:24 PM
Ummmm....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/s...d.php?t=477875

i don't think Achmed's opinion counts on this one ;)

picasso
4/30/2006, 04:07 PM
saw it last night. I thought it was quite good.

walkoffsooner
4/30/2006, 07:08 PM
Is that the 911 plane?

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 08:51 PM
I wonder if people will go all Joe McCarthy on my as$ if I were to say I don't give a sh!t about this movie, and won't see it.

It's a re-telling and romanticization of events about which we don't entirely know. For some reason that turns me off.

sooneron
4/30/2006, 08:54 PM
I thought I saw that 3 weeks ago on A&E?!?!

yeah, i know this one is different..

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 08:55 PM
I wonder if people will go all Joe McCarthy on my as$ if I were to say I don't give a sh!t about this movie, and won't see it.

It's a re-telling and romanticization of events about which we don't entirely know. For some reason that turns me off.

Why do you hate Braveheart?

sooneron
4/30/2006, 09:03 PM
Why do you hate Braveheart?
or gladiator?

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 09:19 PM

I think you sound like a ******. But that's just me.

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 09:39 PM
Actually, Braveheart and Gladiator aren't among my favorite movies.

Nice try though.

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 09:42 PM
Actually, Braveheart and Gladiator aren't among my favorite movies.

Nice try though.

In what percent of historical movies do we know EXACTLY what happened?

As far as this one goes I would think that a good chunk of it could be pieced together from data from the flight data recorder, cell phone calls, etc. that would allow us to get a good idea of what was happening.

That's why it's called a movie, not a documentary. Titanic was a movie about a historical event too. It probably wasn't 100% accurate. You probably rooted for the iceberg in that one.

Kimberlyz4OU
4/30/2006, 10:37 PM
I saw it last night also, one word "intense".....

Haven't read the reviews and I'm not gonna, I liked it. I don't need some else's opinion to validate/unvalidate my thoughts on the movie.

KaiserSooner
4/30/2006, 10:38 PM
I think there's a difference between romanticizing an event that happened five yrs ago versus 94 yrs ago, or even centuries ago, in the case of Gladiator and Braveheart. I just don't like how Hollywood is trying to capitalize from such a recent event, and one that continues to hold much emotional charge for many. I know it's not the first time, but it still bugs me. If that makes me a "******", then good on you.

JohnnyMack
4/30/2006, 10:57 PM
I think there's a difference between romanticizing an event that happened five yrs ago versus 94 yrs ago, or even centuries ago, in the case of Gladiator and Braveheart. I just don't like how Hollywood is trying to capitalize from such a recent event, and one that continues to hold much emotional charge for many. I know it's not the first time, but it still bugs me. If that makes me a "******", then good on you.

I wonder if The Longest Day was 100% accurate in retelling its tale? Or Tora, Tora, Tora? To argue that the reason you won't see it is because you can't completely verify the contents of the film (as you did in your first post) is one thing. To argue that the reason you won't see it because you consider it an explotation of an all-too fresh wound is another.

I like waffles. With syrup.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/30/2006, 11:17 PM
I think there's a difference between romanticizing an event that happened five yrs ago versus 94 yrs ago, or even centuries ago, in the case of Gladiator and Braveheart. I just don't like how Hollywood is trying to capitalize from such a recent event, and one that continues to hold much emotional charge for many. I know it's not the first time, but it still bugs me. If that makes me a "******", then good on you.Bingo. I thought the same thing about "The Jessica Lynch Story" that came out about 30 minutes after her rescue.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/30/2006, 11:19 PM
By the way, I probably wouldn't watch a movie about 4/19/1995 either. I might watch one about May 3, 1999 but they did that before it even happened and called it Twister.

picasso
5/1/2006, 09:36 AM
you're wrong IMO Kaiser but it's cool. I saw nothing romantic about this movie and it's subject matter whatsoever. ya know they used actual pilots and flight attendants for the flick?

picasso
5/1/2006, 09:39 AM
Review: 'United 93'
By DENNIS KING World Scene Writer
4/30/2006

'Let's roll'
'United 93' offers gut-wrenching account of heroics and horror on 9/11
We've just had a chilling lesson on a Hollywood paradox: that it's entirely possible to respect and admire a film, and yet be fretful about seeing it, reluctant to recommend it and even apprehensive of writing about it.

"United 93," writer-director Paul Greengrass' unadorned, documentary-style depiction of horrific events aboard the highjacked United Airlines flight from Newark that nose-dived into a Pennsylvania field on Sept. 11, 2001, killing all on board, is just that unique, heartbreaking and daunting film.

It's made with stunning attention to detail and accuracy and without a hint of glib editorializing or manipulative melodrama. It's crafted with genuine respect for the tragic heroism of the passengers and with honest regard for feelings of their families.

It's a docudrama steeped in dread that strips the narrative to its bare essentials and requires audiences to draw their own conclusions from the stark particulars of the story.

And, in fact, it's a film that will undoubtedly polarize filmgoers -- causing some to object or shy away, some to indulge morbid curiosity, some to step up to the movie as a therapeutic experience

and renew their outrage and sadness at the sheer, senseless madness of terrorism.

The British director Greengrass is a brave soul and the perfect artist to take on this intimidating task. His invaluable 2002 film "Bloody Sunday" took a similar tack, recreating with breathtaking accuracy a 1972 police riot in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in which 13 unarmed civil-rights marchers were shot and killed.

This film employs a similar hand-held camera style, touched by simplicity and jittery urgency, to recreate the chaos aboard United 93 on 9/11.

To ensure accuracy, Greengrass culled through reams of information from the 9/11 Commission Report, interviewed more than 100 family members and friends of those who died, hired real commercial pilots and flight attendants for key roles and even cast some crucial figures of events that day to play themselves (including FAA operations manager Ben Sliney, the official who quickly ordered all 4,000-plus planes in the air be grounded after the attacks).

After a brief prelude in which the film fleetingly depicts Arabic prayers and a nervous band of Middle Eastern men boarding the airliner, the film's early passages tap into the routine banality of air travel -- passengers settling in, setting up laptops, chatting on cell phones and tuning out as flight attendants run through the safety instructions.

The onset of violence is terrible and swift, and as Greengrass establishes the grim scenario in which the terrorists kill crew members, take control of the airliner, corral passengers with threats of a bomb and steer the plane on a course toward Washington, D.C., the film falls into a quick real-time pace.

Greengrass deftly cuts from intense events on board, in which passengers learn via cell phone that planes have crashed into the World Trade Center towers, to confused and harrowing events at East Coast air-traffic control towers, at the FAA's operations command center and the military's Northeast Air Defense Sector headquarters, where various officials scrambled to piece together the unfolding pattern of terrorist attacks.

All inevitably comes down to the fateful moment on United 93, the moment we know all along is coming, in which the passengers act decisively and heroically.

Understanding now the dire stakes and the terrorists' intentions to crash the plane into a D.C. target, they follow the now-famous battle cry of passenger Todd Beamer (played by David Alan Basche), "Let's roll," and storm toward the cockpit in a fierce effort to overwhelm the terrorists and gain control of the plane.

In that valiant, inexorable moment -- before the screen goes black -- "United 93" pays blunt but noble tribute to the power of good people to stand in the face of evil and fight back, even to the death.

As tribute, it's gut-wrenching. As entertainment, it's highly debatable. As cathartic examination of certain harsh truths in the post 9/11 world, it's bitter, bitter stuff.

As a movie, it's one that you should attend with caution but will leave with hope.

usmc-sooner
5/1/2006, 09:49 AM

This would also apply to every movie ever made that was based on a true story.

XingTheRubicon
5/1/2006, 11:58 AM

This movie is the opposite of that. I saw it Saturday, and it was very well paced and interesting as hell, but as luke warm and unhollywood as humanly possible.

okienole3
5/1/2006, 08:59 PM
INTENSE movie