PDA

View Full Version : The official I miss Jason White thread

setem
4/22/2006, 01:01 AM
Bomar is a cool cat and all, but I just watched the clip of OU @ aTm, where White hit Bradley on third and forever for the game winner! I think back on all the TD's he tossed and all the amazing games he had. I miss having ole trust worthy taking the snaps. With Bomar it is a damn mystery when he puts the ball up.

I just wanna say it one more time.

I miss Jason White!

Octavian
4/22/2006, 01:06 AM
who woulda ever thought we'd miss a Heisman Trophy winner?? :rolleyes:

setem
4/22/2006, 01:09 AM
There was a time when I was saying to my self. "Man it is gonna be great to see what Bomar can do!" I want the 30 + TD passes in a season back. I bet AD missed JW too.

TheGodfather889
4/22/2006, 01:12 AM
I started to miss Jason White the day of the Orange Bowl when I knew that night that it would be his last game. Jason White is also my favorite Sooner ever so of course I miss him.

yermom
4/22/2006, 01:18 AM
The Trophy wouldn't have lasted long last year with that O-Line

I started to miss Jason White the day of the Orange Bowl when I knew that night that it would be his last game. Jason White is also my favorite Sooner ever so of course I miss him.

yeah it really sucked to see him go out like that :(

SicEmBaylor
4/22/2006, 01:33 AM
yeah it really sucked to see him go out like that :(

Aye, White was such a damned good QB and a fine man. It truly sucked and astonished me that he just couldn't pull it out in the two NC games. I really freaking hate to agree with Young on anything, but I think part of it really did have to do with White's leadership style. It isn't that he didn't care it's just that White seems like such a quiet reserved guy that maybe he didn't have that "get in your face" mentality when you guys needed it most. I'm not slamming White at all; I"m just saying he may have been TOO nice a guy.

Though admittedly against LSU I think it had a hell of a lot more to do with his health than anything else.

TheGodfather889
4/22/2006, 01:43 AM
Aye, White was such a damned good QB and a fine man. It truly sucked and astonished me that he just couldn't pull it out in the two NC games. I really freaking hate to agree with Young on anything, but I think part of it really did have to do with White's leadership style. It isn't that he didn't care it's just that White seems like such a quiet reserved guy that maybe he didn't have that "get in your face" mentality when you guys needed it most. I'm not slamming White at all; I"m just saying he may have been TOO nice a guy.

Though admittedly against LSU I think it had a hell of a lot more to do with his health than anything else.
I do agree with this. Jason was the quiet type of guy. He wasn't the type to yell at guys to get them in the game.

Octavian
4/22/2006, 01:49 AM
Guy never lost a game in Norman....

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3666/home1lv.png (http://imageshack.us)

or Dallas...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3295/dallas7bf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6594/0425white5uc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2495/si7rx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

and also won somethin else...

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2927/sheisman4nl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

a lot for Bomar to live up to...he's got talent...give him some time.

del city teenagers RULe!
4/22/2006, 02:37 AM
Why dont you petition the ncaa for three or four more years. Im sure they would grant him as much time as he needs considering he was a washout in the nfl.

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 05:41 AM
Heck, I still miss:
Jack Mildren
Steve Davis
Jamelle Holieway
Thomas Lott
JC Watts

Doged
4/22/2006, 06:08 AM
Why dont you petition the ncaa for three or four more years. Im sure they would grant him as much time as he needs considering he was a washout in the nfl.

You lost me there somewhere, ace. What possible connection could there be between a player leaving the NFL due to injuries and the NCAA's extended eligibility rules?

Collier11
4/22/2006, 07:33 AM
first try to find that guys connection with reality

oumartin
4/22/2006, 08:11 AM
to be fair and honest. In two of jasons three losses as a starter those last two years. Two he was hurting pretty bad and the last one I don't think who would have been under center in that game would have had a chance.
guy could flat out QB!

stoops the eternal pimp
4/22/2006, 09:49 AM
What about Bomar's game winner against Baylor...Or that last drive against TT last year( which should have been a game winner...Or Bomar's performance in his first bowl game...As a freshman?.....I know that he screwed up plenty but he was pretty darn good for a freshman...

yermom
4/22/2006, 10:00 AM
yeah, our two scores to take the lead with a little over a minute left definitely gave me hope for the future, even if we lost

although, i did think "dammit AD scored too fast!"

stoops the eternal pimp
4/22/2006, 10:10 AM
yeah...i was hoping he would trip at the one honestly....

chriscappel
4/22/2006, 10:12 AM
i miss that one guy...McGee...i think it was....he was awesome!

Kidding! :D

oumartin
4/22/2006, 10:16 AM
McGee had flashes of brilliance!

chriscappel
4/22/2006, 10:19 AM
McGee had flashes of brilliance!

when???

King Crimson
4/22/2006, 10:51 AM
Jason was money on 3rd down.

Octavian
4/22/2006, 10:53 AM
when???

1st half in the Carrier Dome.

The next 11 1/2 games....not so much.

oumartin
4/22/2006, 11:06 AM
oh, you mean Garrick Mcghee.

chriscappel
4/22/2006, 11:06 AM
oh, you mean Garrick Mcghee.

Yessir

Scott D
4/22/2006, 11:13 AM

you still aren't bitter about me being right about you touting Josh Freeman as a Nebraska lock last may are you?

tbl
4/22/2006, 12:33 PM
What about Bomar's game winner against Baylor

Dude.... Do I need to say anything on this????

MiccoMacey
4/22/2006, 01:19 PM
IMJW

Crimson Kid
4/22/2006, 02:16 PM
I hope were saying the same for bomar one day, i dought he will have as good as career white had, but who could.

Big Red Ron
4/22/2006, 02:26 PM
when???He did on a few occasions but Boo Blake insisted on starting Eric Moore.

goingoneight
4/22/2006, 03:12 PM

I would love to see anyone else go through two ACL surgeries and win a Heisman... oh, wait... only Jason White can do that. And only Jason White was negged in the draft because of those two peg-legs. Nice try if you were trying to insult him, doesn't work around here...

goingoneight
4/22/2006, 03:23 PM
I hope were saying the same for bomar one day, i dought he will have as good as career white had, but who could.
The only QB who will ever be better IMHO...
I think the only QB who will ever work past two ACL surgeries (along with several other gimp problems) win a heisman so beautifully easy, place as a finalist in the next year alongside one of the greatest USC quarterbacks ever to play (at USC)... will be the one who wins the MNC.
JW was my favorite Sooner, because he was a home-grown dude, who made it through what I thought was a career ending injury in 2001 (did you ever see the way that knee snapped?!?!?! :eek: ), What I "knew for sure" was the end of JW in 2002 (glad I was wrong), and still won the most prestigious award in college football.

And the 2003 RRS made me believe in miracles, as he showed his fullest potential in that game, too.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/22/2006, 06:07 PM
Dude.... Do I need to say anything on this????

lol...I hated to write that.....But being in that situation with them wasnt because of quarterback play..

David Earl
4/22/2006, 07:12 PM

Why don't you petition for some posting skilz.

footballfanatic
4/22/2006, 09:14 PM
to be fair and honest. In two of jasons three losses as a starter those last two years. Two he was hurting pretty bad and the last one I don't think who would have been under center in that game would have had a chance.
guy could flat out QB!

You're being waay too much of an apologist for JW against USC. Look again at his INT's. He lobbed a ball into TRIPLE coverage. A good QB, but a guy who completely lost his cool when his team needed him most.

Big Red Ron
4/22/2006, 09:32 PM
You're being waay too much of an apologist for JW against USC. Look again at his INT's. He lobbed a ball into TRIPLE coverage. A good QB, but a guy who completely lost his cool when his team needed him most.In one game dude. He won plenty of close ones to get there.

SoonerJedi
4/22/2006, 11:24 PM
In one game dude. He won plenty of close ones to get there.

Did he?

In 2003 they won by so many points that when Kansas State got up 10 in the Big 12 Championship game, that was the biggest lead OU had ever faced all year.

In 2004, there was the OSU and Texas Tech games that were close, but I don't know that those count as "plenty".

All this talk about Rhett Bomar not living up to Jason White. Personally I'd take Josh Heupel over the both of them. Wasn't a perfect QB, but he knew how to win games. He played like he was drawing plays in the dirt.

Give Bomar some time.

Usually they ask a freshman QB just to play within the system and don’t try to be the one to win the game. With Bomar, they had to ask him to put everything on his shoulders. I don’t think anyone could have played great in the situation Bomar was thrown into. He was a Freshman QB asked to throw to inexperienced receivers. His only experienced receiver (Wilson) was eventually lost for the season by injury. He was knowcked down nearly every other play because he stood behind an oft injured offensive line. And it didn’t help that the running game took no pressure off of him due in handing off to 2nd and 3rd string runningbacks for most of the year. Without the primary receiver or primary running back Bomar was asked to come in and find a way to win and after stumbling out the gate he basically began to consistently find a way.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/22/2006, 11:36 PM
More than just his skills as a QB, I miss most his ability to lead his football team. To me, the 01 RRS was legendary NOT just for Roy's Superman play...but when Hybl got knocked out, JW came in and TOOK COMMAND of the football game. Gosh, that was when he had some moves. Remember his little option toss to Q on 4th down?

Stuff of legend.

Let's hope we are talking about similar games in Bomar's future.

Octavian
4/22/2006, 11:40 PM
Did he?

much to learn, young padawan ;)

Back-to-back single digit wins on the road to aggy and aggy lite.

8 TDs w/ no INTs (IIRC).

SicEmBaylor
4/22/2006, 11:45 PM
Okay, someone totally misread the intent of my post about White. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about the guy. My only point is that he's a quiet type guy and not the type of QB to get up in the face of the offense when they need to step their game up a bit.

I'm not ragging on White at all.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/22/2006, 11:48 PM
Ok, to complete my JW post from above, here is the "Michael Vick Quick Pre ACL Tears" JW runnin' all over the shorthorns in the 01 RRS.

http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics21/400/QQ/QQPPGGKONPWJASV.20050112201834.jpg

I'll never forget that little spin move to get a few extra yards on one of his QB keeps. I knew then that JW was a leader :)

Salt City Sooner
4/23/2006, 01:51 AM
Considering that every time the subject of JW comes up, the first thing that most talk about is his overcoming his totally shot knees, the fact that he's the last OU QB to run for 100 yards in a game is a pretty good trivia Q & A.

yermom
4/23/2006, 09:34 AM
Considering that every time the subject of JW comes up, the first thing that most talk about is his overcoming his totally shot knees, the fact that he's the last OU QB to run for 100 yards in a game is a pretty good trivia Q & A.

i wouldn't be surprised if that changes this year...

yermom
4/23/2006, 09:41 AM
much to learn, young padawan ;)

Back-to-back single digit wins on the road to aggy and aggy lite.

8 TDs w/ no INTs (IIRC).

Tech wasn't really that close... we let up at the end

KSU in Manhattan on the other hand...

i hope we don't have another QB have to go through what JW did

but if they do, they will have some big shoes to fill and have a high standard to deal with

Pricetag
4/24/2006, 12:36 PM
Tech wasn't really that close... we let up at the end

KSU in Manhattan on the other hand...

A&M was tight in College Station, as well.

yermom
4/24/2006, 12:45 PM
oh, i remember ;)

AD got hurt in that game, he didn't play a lot late

got a big 3rd and 3 or something though, just barely made 100 yards, last game in the streak i think

rhombic21
4/25/2006, 02:25 AM
JW was a great college QB, who benefitted from playing with some great talent. There's no doubt about that.

He probably gets too much credit for what happpened during the regular season. If Jason had not come back for his senior year, either Grady or Bomar would have made a ton of plays with Clayton, Bradley, Jones, and Peoples catching it, a healthy Peterson running it, and Brown, Sims, and Carter dominating people up front. Maybe we wouldn't have gone to a NC, but I guarantee that Bomar would be getting preseason All-American love if those guys had been around in 2005. But he gets too much blame for the losses to USC and LSU as well. The DBs were in our WRs hip pockets all day against LSU, and the line killed us with holding/procedure penalties that put us in bad down and distance situations. We never got the run game going, and when we did, we weren't patient enough with it, which allowed LSU to tee off with blitz packages on a hobbled QB. Against USC, he actually had a decent game. He threw for nearly 3 bills and 2 TDs, and one of the INTs wasn't his fault, when Bradley fell down. Had Bradley not made the two big mistakes early on, and KeJuan not fumbled, and the OL opened up some holes for Peterson, and Long called some more aggressive plays in running situations, and the defense actually gotten a few stops, White would have given us a chance to win at the end. Jason White is not the reason that we lost to either LSU or USC, just like he's not the sole reason we won all those games during the regular season.

I miss him, because he had a great attitude, and was an experienced player. Bomar has better measurables, but it remains to be seen whether he'll develop the maturity and knowledge of the game that White did. The two are remarkably comparable at this point in their careers, and if not for his injuries, I suspect that White would have developed into the kind of player that Bomar probably will. I remember back in '01, the knock against him was that he was too aggressive and forced too many throws into coverage, and that he relied on his physical abilities rather than technical QB skills.

yermom
4/25/2006, 04:58 AM
i loved JW as much as the next guy, but he didn't have a good game in the 2005 OB

a lot of his numbers were after the game was out of reach

was cool that his last play as a Sooner was a TD though