PDA

View Full Version : Here's a little snippet on where Reggie might be headed....

The Consumate Showman
4/22/2006, 12:26 AM
From James Hale today on the OU defense wrap-up:

“They have done really well and they have looked really strong,” said
Coach Stoops. “Lendy is gaining more and more experience and he has great
ball skills. He just has a knack for it. Reggie has just been sensational.
He is as pure a defensive back, or an athlete, as I have been around in
all my coaching years. He just has a great feel for it, a great knack. And
then you look at his physical ability where he is a 40-inch vertical jump
guy combined with his great ball skills. He can catch the ball and is a
guy, as he keeps going, that we have to look at working in probably even
offensively. Maybe getting him in an opportunity in that slot position or
somewhere to get him some snaps as well.”

Wow! Talk of Reggie going both ways? Is Reggie going to be a monster or what?

“That is something that I think about sometimes, but to be honest I have
enough trouble just playing cornerback and returning punts,” Smith said
with a chuckle following spring practice. “When I signed I set a goal for
myself to at some point in my career to play both ways, but right now
nobody has talked to me about that. I am just going to concentrate on
being the best cornerback I can be.”

Thoughts???

okienole3
4/22/2006, 12:37 AM
I like his attitude. He is most definitely an athlete.

yermom
4/22/2006, 01:13 AM
worked out ok for Woolf

King Crimson
4/22/2006, 01:25 AM
worked out ok for Woolf

until the staff decided he'd play D only.

emoinwinter
4/22/2006, 10:30 AM
As much as I love Reggie, I'm not sure if this is the best idea. The more he is on the field, getting reps, the more fatigue sets in. The more fatigued he gets, the better the risk is for injury. Also, the longer he is on the field the more chances he has to get injured. On defense he lays the majority of the hits. I can just see the first chance a defensive player gets to lay him out, they are going to do it.

We already have plenty of canidates to play offense. Heck, we have enough canidates to play slot. Save him for when he is truly needed.

yermom
4/22/2006, 11:15 AM
until the staff decided he'd play D only.

yeah, but we still got that highlight from the 2000 NU game out of it :D

OUGreg723
4/22/2006, 11:29 AM
I wouldnt mind if he came in on offense every once and then to spice things up..

MojoRisen
4/22/2006, 11:52 AM
Depth allows for diversity- If we can save him a couple snaps to get other guys in the mix that deserve to be- and utilize him in offensive sets - that would be fine by me- I am leary of the coaches who don't let people go both ways or play two sports- it starts in highschool.

I would say that OKLAHOMA deserves to have a whole slew of trick plays- to mix up the defenses- The old fumble ruskie was one of my favorites back in the day- If we need a big play to win some close games I am all for it-

It would not hurt us defensively for him to take a couple snaps out of the line up with Holmes, Jackson and Walker being very capable corners as well.

CatfishSooner
4/22/2006, 11:52 AM
I would like to see reggie catch a pass out in the open field...

yermom
4/22/2006, 11:58 AM
hopefully he catches his share of touchdown passes without playing offense :D

MamaMia
4/22/2006, 01:03 PM
Andthen you look at his physical ability where he is a 40-inch vertical jump
guy Oh my! :eek:

Does anyone remember how high Brandon Everage could jump vertically?

BillyBall
4/22/2006, 01:06 PM
Brandon Everage could get really high, also I think he had a 38 inch vert.

OKC-SLC
4/22/2006, 01:26 PM
hopefully he catches his share of touchdown passes without playing offense :D
best post evar.

MamaMia
4/22/2006, 02:20 PM
Brandon Everage could get really high, also I think he had a 38 inch vert.
Andre Woolfolk must of had a pretty high vertical jump too. I will never ever forget thet kick he blocked when we played Washington State at the Rose Bowl. I went wild! :D

colleyvillesooner
4/22/2006, 03:10 PM
Brandon Everage could get really high. ;)

oumartin
4/22/2006, 04:51 PM
I thought the Texans were taking him 1st in the draft.

The Consumate Showman
4/22/2006, 07:18 PM
I thought the Texans were taking him 1st in the draft.

That was Bassey........

oumartin
4/22/2006, 07:22 PM
oh, i'm so stupid

OKC-SLC
4/22/2006, 09:40 PM
oh, i'm so stupid
don't be so hard on yourself.

your use of the word "so" probably was overkill.

GDC
4/25/2006, 07:57 AM
Sooners get right man in their corner
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
4/25/2006

Moving Reggie Smith from safety to cornerback looks like a winner.
NORMAN -- Springtime in Oklahoma is all about the weather.

And spring football at the University of Oklahoma was all about Hurricane Reggie.

Sophomore Reggie Smith played last season at strong safety, but this spring he took the cornerback position by storm.

"Reggie looked good," said OU head coach Bob Stoops, "which isn't surprising to anyone."

At 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, Smith is physical. With a sub-4.5 40, he's fast. And having played free safety at Edmond Santa Fe, he's smart.

"That's a lot to ask," said defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator Bobby Jack Wright. "You want a guy that can go out there and contest those big wide receivers. But a lot of times, your best cover guy is a 5-9, 5-10 corner going against a guy that's 6-3, 6-4. With Reggie, you've got a guy who is big and physical and can still cover."

Smith's move to corner was the highlight of the Sooners' 15 practices. Although the offense was limited with a protected Adrian Peterson at running back, the defense dominated all three major scrimmages, and Smith's playmaking was a major reason why.

Playing cornerback, Smith said, is

"not that hard once you get down the calls and knowing the splits and knowing what to look for when the play's going."

"We've said all along Reggie was going to be outstanding at corner, and he was," Wright said. "He had a great spring. Reggie's got a chance to really be a premier corner in college football. He's going to be a great one."

Other position changes yielded either immediate or promising results.

One was former wide receiver Lendy Holmes, who turned in a handful of big plays in scrimmages and was solid enough to merit front- line duty when the Sooner defense went to an extra defensive backs package, which utilizes Smith's cover skills as an interior safety.

Another was former defensive end Brody Eldridge, who drew raves from the offensive staff as the second tight end in the two-tight packages. Eldridge is a physical blocker and is coming along as a receiver.

Another -- and perhaps as impacting as Smith's -- was defensive tackle Brian Simmons' switch to offensive line. That gave the Sooners seven bodies up front, and Simmons at times looked like a natural who could figure into the rotation this fall.

Little-used linebacker Ian Pleasant was moved to fullback as the coaching staff continues to search for J.D. Runnels' replacement.

One reason Pleasant wasn't playing at linebacker was the switch of Lewis Baker, who played there his freshman year, redshirted in 2004, then switched to safety last season and now is back at linebacker.

And in the fall, reinforcements will arrive across the line, at tight end, at corner; injuries to Brian Jackson and Marcus Walker are expected to be healed. At running back, Allen Patrick was the only scholarship runner. He should be rejoined by Jacob Gutierrez and supported by freshman Demarco Murray. And defensive end, the deepest position on the field, should get stronger when senior John Williams gets back from last year's knee injury.

Quarterbacks were handcuffed all spring by Peterson's part-time participation, so little should be inferred from their performance this spring. Still, coaches thought Rhett Bomar had grown significantly from his redshirt freshman season, and they didn't sound concerned about backup Joey Halzle's string of interceptions.

"Spring's really all about feeding them as much as you can; seeing what they can grasp and handle and what they're good at and what they're not good at," said quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel.

Said Bomar, "You have a year under your belt, it's easier to get adjusted. You know it now. I didn't know it last year before I went there and played, but experience is the only thing that helps that."

Peterson also thought he got better this spring, despite not going full-speed in scrimmages. He worked on all parts of his game -- receiving, blocking, following blocks, timing -- and laughed at the notion that he was already so good he didn't need to practice.

"Ain't nobody that great. Even (Walter) Payton had to practice," Peterson said. "Just being out there, getting in the rhythm, having extra weeks in you for conditioning and being able to see things and feel them, these few weeks help out a lot."

And linebacker Rufus Alexander -- the defensive version of Peterson -- was his usual big-play self in scrimmages. Alexander, who was nominated this spring for two national awards, has reached the point in his career that he no longer gets much on-field instruction.

"It's all about getting a better feel for everything," Alexander said. "It's all about getting a feel and better recognition. You can never get on the field enough times in football. After a while it becomes second nature."

The '06 spring wasn't without problems.

Punter Cody Freeby was dismissed from the team for disciplinary reasons, and backup Mike Knall was inconsistent as his replacement.

Sophomore linebacker Ryan Reynolds tore a knee ligament in 7-on-7 drills two days after spring concluded and will miss all of the 2006 season.

First-year freshman Chad Roark, who graduated high school a semester early and was the starting center the first 12 practices, missed the last three for what Stoops said were academic issues (Unsubstantiated Internet rumors circulated that he had decided to join his older brother at Nebraska).

Junior linebacker Demarrio Pleasant also missed time because of academic issues but returned in good standing and finished strong.

Overall this spring, some questions were answered and others were created.

"It was good," Stoops said. "Guys worked hard and we've made progress."

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].

GDC
4/25/2006, 08:01 AM
The Good and the Bad for OU
4/25/2006

PLEASANT SURPRISES

Defensive end
The deepest position. Larry Birdine practiced all spring and will be 100 percent by the fall. Calvin Thibodeaux and C.J. Ah You played almost every snap last season. Alonzo Dotson looks strong. John Williams missed with a knee injury, but should return.

Cornerback
Reggie Smith moved from strong safety and was the best defensive player. He could become a dominant cornerback. Lendy Holmes moved from wide receiver and showed he can hold his own. D.J. Wolfe started 11 games last season.

Tight end
Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson spent a lot of time working the tight end this spring. Depth is slight -- junior Joe Jon Finley and converted defensive end Brody Eldridge -- but QBs found Finley a red-zone threat.

AREAS OF CONCERN

Offensive line
It appears sophomores Branndon Braxton (RT) and Duke Robinson (LG) have won starting jobs and senior Chris Messner (LT) looks entrenched. Depth and experience nonexistent.

Special teams
Punter Cody Freeby was kicked off the team. Backup Mike Knall was inconsistent. Placekicker Garrett

Hartley also lacked consistency. Reggie Smith looked solid as punt returner.

Fullback
Clearly, J.D. Runnels will be missed. Sophomore Matt Clapp and junior Dane Zaslaw were unproductive enough to move linebacker Ian Pleasant into the mix with three practices left.

GDC
4/25/2006, 08:02 AM
Position Watch
4/25/2006

Quarterback: Sophomore Rhett Bomar now has a full grasp of the offense -- and the starting job. Bomar developed a better sense of the big picture this spring. Transfer Joey Halzle showed he has the tools -- powerful arm, quick delivery, good footwork -- but is obviously not ready to start.

Running back: Adrian Peterson didn't do a lot this spring -- he wore a blue no-contact jersey in the scrimmages -- but he looked healthier than ever and has somehow improved his quickness. Backup Allen Patrick might start for a lot of Big 12 teams. Backup Jacob Gutierrez missed all spring with injuries. Three freshmen -- primarily Demarco Murray -- will compete in the fall.

Wide receiver: From offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson: They're talented, but young and still learning how to play. Sophomores Malcolm Kelly and Juaquin Iglesias, projected starters competing in their first spring, looked bored at times. Sophomore Manuel Johnson is still raw. Paul Thompson stood out in the Red/White Game, but after moving from QB is still learning the position. Sophomore Quentin Chaney and redshirt freshman Eric Huggins hope to be involved.

Offensive line: Chris Messner is the only returning

starter, but he moved from RT to LT. Sophomores Branndon Braxton (RT) and George "Duke" Robinson (LG) played well -- and a lot -- in the spring and might have secured starting jobs. Transfer Sherrone Moore got plenty of time (RG), but will have to pick it up when help arrives in the fall. The center spot will go to either Jon Cooper or J.D. Quinn, who were injured and missed all spring. Depth at all spots is a major problem, but redshirt freshman Brian Simmons converted from DL and looked good.

Defensive line: There is enough ability at end to have two 3-man rotations, with seniors C.J. Ah You and Calvin Thibodeaux coming back and Larry Birdine returning from injury. Tackle is a question mark, however. Junior Carl Pendleton is a part-time returning starter, but missed all spring with injury. Junior Steven Coleman and sophomore Cory Bennett got valuable experience last year and this spring. Redshirt freshman DeMarcus Granger may be the most improved player on the line.

Linebacker: Senior Rufus Alexander should be an All-American in 2006 and played like it in the spring on the weak side. Senior Zach Latimer is a returning starter in the middle but missed all spring with injury. Sophomore Curtis Lofton filled in for Latimer and looked ready. Sophomore Ryan Reynolds and junior Demarrio Pleasant are neck-and-neck for the strongside spot. Redshirt freshman Lamont Robinson might lend a hand this season.

Secondary: Junior Darien Williams is a returning starter at free safety and had a good spring but needs to be more consistent. Senior Jason Carter looked like a difference-maker at strong safety, but is being pushed by sophomore Nic Harris. Sophomore Reggie Smith moved from strong safety and had an outstanding spring. Sophomore Lendy Holmes moved from wideout and showed he can be a productive corner. Redshirt freshman Brian Jackson and junior Marcus Walker -- each a potential starter at CB -- missed all spring with injuries..

RedstickSooner
4/25/2006, 09:24 AM
Today's prize for most unfortunate word choice:

"Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson spent a lot of time working the tight end this spring."

Partial Qualifier
4/25/2006, 10:23 AM
doh

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 10:31 AM
I watched a good number of Reggie's games in high school. He definately has what it takes to play on both sides of the ball. He singlehandedly made everyone on the opposing team look like fools. :D

The Consumate Showman
4/25/2006, 10:42 AM
Mighten we have another......dare I say it.......Charles Woodson-ish player?

Get Reggie about 10 INT's, 3-5 KR and/or PR TD's, and about 6-8 big time TD catches in big games.......I dunno......the possibilities?????