PDA

View Full Version : Just heard something depressing!

soonerguild
4/21/2006, 10:47 PM
Texas Tech had 4400 people at the game tonight. Are you serious, we were all excited about the 2700 that showed up tuesday and set the attendance record for the year. That is ridiculous, we need peps to start rolling out. We have one of the best teams in the country and there is no reason that we should ever get out drawn at any sport by the raiders. That is depressing.

I will admit tho that L Dale is in the need of some serious expansion. We have one of the smallest parks in the conference. That is ridiculous considering we are the second richest AD in the conference.

Your Thoughts?

BOOMER SOONER

Sooner24
4/21/2006, 11:23 PM
Why add onto a stadium you can't fill now? It would be like having a football stadium that you never sellout and expanding it. Nobody is stupid enough to even think about doing something like th............................ never mind. :O

:D

soonerguild
4/21/2006, 11:31 PM
Why add onto a stadium you can't fill now? It would be like having a football stadium that you never sellout and expanding it. Nobody is stupid enough to even think about doing something like th............................ never mind. :O

:D

I definately see your point,and its a good point, my point was that on games like tuesday night when there was 2700 there it was full to the brim, and maybe if we added on to L Dale that it would possible spark alittle more attention into baseball and make the fans feel like me have more of a big time program, thus increasing attendence. I know that we have always had a huge football following and thats why we have an 85000 seat stadium, but i do think that to a certain extint that people enjoy going to OU football games because of the big time atomsphere that surrounds it. I could be wrong tho

AllAboutThe'O'
4/21/2006, 11:42 PM
Well, you know what they say, winning will bring in the fans. Look at the OU women's hoopsters, they had trouble drawing close to 10,000 fans even at the start of this season then they packed the LNC the last three home games.
I'm sure that if the baseball team keeps winning there'll be even more of a buzz. Problem is, there's only one more Big XII home series left this season.

soonerguild
4/22/2006, 12:17 AM
Well, you know what they say, winning will bring in the fans. Look at the OU women's hoopsters, they had trouble drawing close to 10,000 fans even at the start of this season then they packed the LNC the last three home games.
I'm sure that if the baseball team keeps winning there'll be even more of a buzz. Problem is, there's only one more Big XII home series left this season.

Thats just my point tho, winning isnt bringing in the fans. aTm doubles our attendance and Tt almost doubles are attendence. Both of those teams have losing conference records and aren't ranked. We are one of three teams with a winning record in the conference and pushing to break the top 10 national. With the smaller sports like baseball etc. the casual fans that show up when you are winning aren't what makes the difference. It is the die hard Sooner fans that show up to support the team regardless that make the difference and that is where we are lacking.

King Crimson
4/22/2006, 12:20 AM
lubbock and college station, what else are you going to do?

stoopified
4/22/2006, 10:33 PM
Thats just my point tho, winning isnt bringing in the fans. aTm doubles our attendance and Tt almost doubles are attendence. Both of those teams have losing conference records and aren't ranked. We are one of three teams with a winning record in the conference and pushing to break the top 10 national. With the smaller sports like baseball etc. the casual fans that show up when you are winning aren't what makes the difference. It is the die hard Sooner fans that show up to support the team regardless that make the difference and that is where we are lacking.It takes winning more than just one season to build intrest among fans.In all honesty we have hovered between average to mediocre since the '94 championship run.

Another factor is matketing of baseball like it is a big-time program.With more promotion and continued sucess I truly believe attendance WILL increase.If we could average 2500-2700 a game at home that would be a step toward showing a need for expansion.If I were guessing I would say average attendance is around 1000.Part of the problem frankly is college baseball starts too early for the climate.Yeah I know WSU and Nebraska have done well but neither one has a football team:)

Personally my wife and I are planning to move to Norman in the next couple of years so the fan base will increase by two(My son Ryan and I will go,mt cares little for sports).

Jimminy Crimson
4/23/2006, 02:30 AM
I know a lot of work has been done at the ol' ballfield, and call me crazy, but I think a new ballfield is in order.

We need a new park on the NE corner of Imhoff and Chautauqua. A mini-Brick or something like Nebraksa has.

BoomerJack
4/23/2006, 03:52 PM
Some attendance data for this year.

Total attendance for 23 home games this year is 24,731 for a per game average of 1060.

As you can probably guess, attendance in Feb. & Mar. was low. An exception was a mid-week game against Wichita St attended by 1,410.

In late Mar. attendance begain to improve. 914 attended a Mar.28 mid-week game against Dallas-Baptist, then a total of 6,552 attended UT games Mar. 31 - Apr. 2 for a 2,184 game average.

Mid-week game against Rice attended by 2,657.

Only four more home games: one tomorrow against New Mexico and three next weekend agains K-State.

I have WAAAYY too much time on my hands.

Catch 22
4/23/2006, 05:10 PM
lubbock and college station, what else are you going to do?

I was wondering when that was coming.;)

soonerguild
4/26/2006, 05:21 PM
I still cant believe that we get outdrawn buy texas tech it really just makes me think WTF

snp
5/2/2006, 07:49 PM
I've noticed a lot less college people out in the OF due to the new alcohol policy.

They're not even enforcing it anymore either.

BoomerJack
5/3/2006, 07:01 AM
It'll be interesting to note attendance for this weekend's series with KSU. One would think it would be pretty good. Sooners high in national rankings and in a horse race for the regular season conference championship.

soonerguild
5/3/2006, 08:43 PM
me and my brother drove from norman to wichita last night for the game and their outfield was packed with coolers from end to end. But they also sell beer at their games, which I haven't quite figured out yet but anyway, yeah the student crowd has diminished since they banned alcohol. it sucks that the my fellow undergrads quit supporting when booze was taken away, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. Maybe Joe C will realize he ruined a great thing for a lot of people that was ruined by the choices of a few.

CatfishSooner
5/3/2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah I was wondering why they were bragging over a little over 2000 people....