PDA

View Full Version : Beef's Heart Attack Thread

Beef
4/21/2006, 05:43 PM
They really suck. Try to avoid one at all costs. I just got back from the hospital today. I guess I'm pretty lucky. I went to the ER on Tuesday before there was any permanent damage. They pretty much rushed me into a room to do an angioplasty. I now have to carry around a card that says I have stents in me so I can get through metal detectors. It's wierd that I'm 35 and a week old and have already had a heart attack. The good news is I'm basically getting a do-over now. I just have to eat perfectly, make sure I don't cave in and smoke, and exercise a ton. I think I can handle that. I always thought there was next Monday to start good habits. I guess I ran out of them. Everyone should go see a doctor regularly and listen to what they say.

proud gonzo
4/21/2006, 05:45 PM
damn dude, glad you're okay!!!

Soonerbabeinbama
4/21/2006, 05:46 PM
wow Beef - ditto what PG said. Glad you're here to tell us about it. You take it easy - we would miss you bad!

StoopTroup
4/21/2006, 05:47 PM
That must have been one heck of a Birthday Party Beef! ;)

Glad to hear your OK.

Stress?

I rated this a 5 star thread.

It would have been a one if you had posted that you didn't make it. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 05:49 PM
Daaaaaaang.

Glad you're okay!

proud gonzo
4/21/2006, 05:52 PM
That must have been one heck of a Birthday Party Beef! ;)

Glad to hear your OK.

Stress?

I rated this a 5 star thread.

It would have been a one if you had posted that you didn't make it. ;)

I don't know--i think that thread would have impressed me. :eek:

picasso
4/21/2006, 05:55 PM
so please explain.

did you have numbness or pain anywhere? I once had numbness in my arm for several hours and went to the ER. nothing wrong.

are you overweight? stressed, hungover? what gives?

oh and glad you're ok.

85Sooner
4/21/2006, 05:56 PM
Glad your Okay. What made you notice something was wrong?

C&CDean
4/21/2006, 06:01 PM
so please explain.

did you have numbness or pain anywhere? I once had numbness in my arm for several hours and went to the ER. nothing wrong.

are you overweight? stressed, hungover? what gives?

oh and glad you're ok.

2 packs of Camels a day.....

Beef, dude, give up the smokes. You can be fat like me, eat all kinds of bad **** like me, but if you do that AND smoke, you're gonna be toast.

Get your butt outside with them dogs. You've got a lot of livin' left to do.

SoonerBorn68
4/21/2006, 06:01 PM
Beef, it ain't for dinner anymore. :(

Man, sorry you had to go through that...but very glad you're OK.
I'm going to turn 38 next month & have thought about an unscheduled heart attack. Could you give me a description of what your symptoms were and what you were doing at the time? Details man! I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a candidate for one of them thingys.

MamaMia
4/21/2006, 06:02 PM
Beef, thank goodness you are okay. Welcome back. :)

BajaOklahoma
4/21/2006, 06:04 PM
I am so glad you are okay.
Make the changes, you are worth it.

Flagstaffsooner
4/21/2006, 06:07 PM
Beef, take care of yourself buddy. Tailwind has been going through the same stuff.

Czar Soonerov
4/21/2006, 06:32 PM
Too much red meat?

Glad you are OK. Were you gettin' it on when it happend? :eek:

colleyvillesooner
4/21/2006, 06:42 PM
This should get you some pity chinese taco fo sho. :D

Sorry to here that man. Take up golf and go to the range with Stanley and I.

bri
4/21/2006, 06:43 PM
Dude, if you could put a skosh more effort into not dying, that'd be super. ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/21/2006, 06:44 PM
Cut back on the Barneys and take more Wilmas.

jk the sooner fan
4/21/2006, 06:48 PM
you accountant types always get stressed over numbers and freak your heart out.....dude, seriously, glad you're ok...take care of yourself

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/21/2006, 06:53 PM
I negged you because, "DON'T YOU EVER PUT ME THROUGH THIS AGAIN YOU HEAR ME?!"

Tailwind
4/21/2006, 06:54 PM
Dude! Seriously.

Soonrboy
4/21/2006, 07:00 PM
Man, Beef..when you're up to it, let's know more details..how did you know...

Glad you are okay.

ChickSoonerFan
4/21/2006, 07:03 PM
Wow...what an experience....quite a wake up call.

Glad you are still with us!

And glad you have a chance to start taking better care of yourself.

So do it. :)

OUinFLA
4/21/2006, 07:14 PM
No more smokes, change your diet and most of all exercise.
Then maybe you'll live to be an old slightly overweight Sooner Fan like me
:)
At least you got a wake up call. Lots of folks dont.

Howzit
4/21/2006, 07:14 PM
Jeez Beefy, I was just wondering today where you'd been. I figured you had gone on a week-long bender in Vegas for your BD or something. Take care of yourself, man. You've got hawt Asian roommates to conquer.

TopDaugIn2000
4/21/2006, 07:20 PM
DAYUM beef. Glad you're OK!

Stanley1
4/21/2006, 07:26 PM
Glad you are alright Beef, the world doesn't have enough accountants, can't go havin' em die young. You need someone to go running with, or whatever, get ahold of me.

bigdsooner
4/21/2006, 07:28 PM
dang beef, glad yer doin good. checking out at 35 is way too damn young

KsSooner
4/21/2006, 07:47 PM
Beef, glad to hear you are ok. I am coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my quadruple bypass surgery at the age of 47. Eat right (it is not that hard once you start) and exercise every day. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day and feel better than I have in years.

oumartin
4/21/2006, 07:54 PM
sorry to hear that beef.. glad you are doing okay.. hang in there

Scott D
4/21/2006, 08:35 PM
Take it one day at a time Beef...and you'd probably do well to get advice and support from Tailwind.

OUDoc
4/21/2006, 08:43 PM
Glad you're okay. That scares me, since you're 3 years younger and all. It can happen to anyone.

slickdawg
4/21/2006, 08:46 PM
Oh deer loard!!!

Beef, I'm glad you are ok!!

Now cut out those nasty habits and don't let it happen again!!

Sooner_Bob
4/21/2006, 08:53 PM
They really suck. Try to avoid one at all costs. I just got back from the hospital today. I guess I'm pretty lucky. I went to the ER on Tuesday before there was any permanent damage. They pretty much rushed me into a room to do an angioplasty. I now have to carry around a card that says I have stents in me so I can get through metal detectors. It's wierd that I'm 35 and a week old and have already had a heart attack. The good news is I'm basically getting a do-over now. I just have to eat perfectly, make sure I don't cave in and smoke, and exercise a ton. I think I can handle that. I always thought there was next Monday to start good habits. I guess I ran out of them. Everyone should go see a doctor regularly and listen to what they say.

Whoa. That's scary.

I'm really glad you're ok.

Take care and know that you've motivated me to try to get a little healthier myself.

Cam
4/21/2006, 09:03 PM
Glad you're ok man.

We're only a month apart in age. I should get off my *** more and exercise!!!!

Oldnslo
4/21/2006, 09:05 PM
Yipe! Way to not snuff it!

wait... my arm. aaarrrrgh!

Norm In Norman
4/21/2006, 10:01 PM
Um ... beef hasn't posted in hours...

OUinFLA
4/21/2006, 10:06 PM
Um ... beef hasn't posted in hours...

being on the SO is stressful

just ask..........thunder, gdc, Pat...........
Oh, wait, I meant NOT being on the SO is stressful.

Newbomb Turk
4/21/2006, 10:08 PM
that's kinda skeery. Especially since I'm past that age.

Hope things are ok Beef.

Chuck Bao
4/21/2006, 10:17 PM
I'm glad to hear about the "do-over" thing.

Good luck and take care, friend.

olevetonahill
4/21/2006, 10:31 PM
DAYUM , get well dude
Im almost 56 , I drink to much, smoke to much and Damn sure dont eat right , sammichs and soup . The only exercise I get is chasin women ;)
Im gonna have to start takin this shat more seriuosly. Maybe youve helped give us ALL a wake up call .
Good luck

oumartin
4/21/2006, 10:32 PM
you too mean to die vet! ;)

olevetonahill
4/21/2006, 10:51 PM
you too mean to die vet! ;)
To many womens I havnt caught yet ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/21/2006, 11:08 PM
OMG! Glad you are ok. Don't scare us like that.

pb4ou
4/21/2006, 11:09 PM
dude seriously, take care man. Hope you're feeling better Beef.

sanantoniosooner
4/21/2006, 11:10 PM
Where's the Beef?

yermom
4/22/2006, 12:32 AM
way to not die Beef

keep it up

IB4OU2
4/22/2006, 08:18 AM
Geez, I just saw this thread. Beef get well buddy.....your'e one of my favorite posters. You can cook alot of heathly food on that fancy grill on your new patio. We grill alot of tuna and stuff...... and toss the cigs too please. :(

Beef
4/22/2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes. My attack didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would. I figured it would be some Sanford and Son clutching the heart type feeling, but it really just felt like someone was pushing on my chest. I was grocery shopping when it started, and I just figured it was because I came in from the 100 degree heat into the store. I finsished my shopping, went home and unloaded the groceries, and then looked up sypmtoms on the internet. I stgill wasn't convinced I was having one, but since the pain hadn't gone away, I would go ahead and drive myself to the ER. My roommate came and picked up my car from the hospital that night and wrecked it. :(

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 08:26 AM
My roommate came and picked up my car from the hospital that night and wrecked it. :(

Dude.....she SO owes you some when you get healthy.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes. My attack didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would. I figured it would be some Sanford and Son clutching the heart type feeling, but it really just felt like someone was pushing on my chest. I was grocery shopping when it started, and I just figured it was because I came in from the 100 degree heat into the store. I finsished my shopping, went home and unloaded the groceries, and then looked up sypmtoms on the internet. I stgill wasn't convinced I was having one, but since the pain hadn't gone away, I would go ahead and drive myself to the ER. My roommate came and picked up my car from the hospital that night and wrecked it. :(About this time last year I felt a lot of pressure on my chest. I really felt like I was having a heart attack, so I( drove myself to the ER at 3 am. It turned out to be either an anxiety attack or indigestion, they didn't know. Regardless, they told me I did the right thing by coming in, just in case it was a heart attack. Glad you are ok, sorry about the car.

IB4OU2
I'm glad you could make it to the ER buddy. How long were you in the hospital?

and I would make the roommate pay for the damages.....if you know what I mean. ;)

Beef
Dude.....she SO owes you some when you get healthy.
The literature I got said I can start getting some 3 days after the procedure. I had the angioplasty on Tuesday. :D

IB4OU2
4/22/2006, 08:30 AM
The literature I got said I can start getting some 3 days after the procedure. I had the angioplasty on Tuesday. :D

Get busy then...:D

slickdawg
4/22/2006, 08:31 AM
About this time last year I felt a lot of pressure on my chest. I really felt like I was having a heart attack, so I( drove myself to the ER at 3 am. It turned out to be either an anxiety attack or indigestion, they didn't know. Regardless, they told me I did the right thing by coming in, just in case it was a heart attack. Glad you are ok, sorry about the car.

It is ALWAYS better to error on the side of caution when it comes to
the ol' ticker.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/22/2006, 08:33 AM
It is ALWAYS better to error on the side of caution when it comes to
the ol' ticker.Yeah next time it happens that seriously I'll call someone to drive me. When I get stressed, it still happens on occasion.

NormanPride
4/22/2006, 08:56 AM
Holy crap, Beef. That's some crazy stuff... Glad to hear you're okay! Did you see something amazing at the store, or was it just out of the blue?

bri
4/22/2006, 09:00 AM
My roommate came and picked up my car from the hospital that night and wrecked it. :(

Feh...chick drivers.

Holy crap, Beef. That's some crazy stuff... Glad to hear you're okay! Did you see something amazing at the store, or was it just out of the blue?

Yeah, was there, like, REALLY good sales or something?

ChickSoonerFan
4/22/2006, 09:02 AM
Your car?! That is horrible! She must feel terrible about it too, and guilty, and I am sure she wants to make it up to you.

Man that sucks. Really.

yermom
4/22/2006, 09:14 AM
Your car?! That is horrible! She must feel terrible about it too, and guilty, and I am sure she wants to make it up to you.

Man that sucks. Really.

the window for this may not last long ;)

Sooner51
4/22/2006, 09:18 AM
hang in there beef

OklahomaTuba
4/22/2006, 09:52 AM
Goodness man. Good luck!

BajaOklahoma
4/22/2006, 11:16 AM
Beef, how are you doing today?

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2006, 11:25 AM
He's probably out havin' a steak. You know, getting his strength back and all.;)

slickdawg
4/22/2006, 11:59 AM
He's probably out havin' a steak. You know, getting his strength back and all.;)

Beef, it's what's for dinner. ??????

yermom
4/22/2006, 12:01 PM
nah, hopefully he's enjoying Chinese Taco

picasso
4/22/2006, 12:01 PM
chicken fried steak at that. with gravy, lots of gravy.

StoopTroup
4/22/2006, 12:11 PM
I had no idea that Ginkgo Biloba tastes like steak.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle1948.article.jpg

Rogue
4/22/2006, 12:36 PM
Beef, damn dude. Just damn.

nmsoonergirl
4/22/2006, 01:53 PM
Wow, I just saw this. I'm so, so glad you are okay, but it really sucks that this happened.
Take care of yourself--the SO will be much less interesting if you aren't around to post.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/22/2006, 02:41 PM
Just now read your thread, Beef. Congrats for not croaking, or coming out veg. I had one of these things at THE SAME AGE AS YOU DID. Well, I'm 60 now, so take heart(of course, no pun intended). My symptoms were nasty indigestion, and inexplicable sweating. Nothing was done to me after the first attack at 35 yrs. of age. I had a second one 10 yrs. later. I got angioed 3 times in the same blockage before it took. (That was when stents were just beginning to be used, and I didn't have to get one put in) I quit smoking, and have continued exercising fairly regularly, walking and jogging. I take vitamins billed as anti-oxidants, such as niacin, beta carotene, E and C, and a prescribed beta blocker, atenolol. I do some pretty aggressive fishing from time to time, down at the Gulf of California, for big fish such as grouper and black seabass to 300lb., and the ticker has held up well through that.
I have heart issues in my heritage, so it wasn't a shock that it happened. However, I didn't expect it so young.

GottaHavePride
4/22/2006, 03:26 PM
Yow, Beef. Glad you're ok.

for some reason i'm thinking "Stupid Mongorians attacking my ****ty heart!" I don't know why.

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2006, 03:35 PM
Glad you're OK Beef - good luck getting healthier.

I think I'll go hit the treadmill now and then eat some veggies.

crawfish
4/22/2006, 05:40 PM
Wow...sorry to hear that, beef, but I'm glad you're ok. My mom's dad had a heart attack in his 40's, but through consistent exercise and a better diet he's my last grandparent alive at 91. Take it seriously and you'll be ok...

Oh, and forget anything I ever said about gravy. :O

Stanley1
4/22/2006, 06:06 PM
Oh, and forget anything I ever said about gravy. :O

Yea, don't think he's not blaming this on you. :mad: ;)

olevetonahill
4/22/2006, 06:35 PM
Aw the Beef we all know and love , He could be guilt trippin the roomie and getting laid . But he loves us all here on the SO so much he would rather post :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
4/22/2006, 07:21 PM
Sorry to hear of your health scare Beef; my dad was 35 and had a triple bypass; he smoked 2-3 packs of Camels a day and was seriously overweight; he kept smoking some after his surgery and didn't take care of himself, and by 43 he was dead after his second heart attack in less than a year; what i wouldn't give to have him here to watch my son playing baseball like he always was at my games.

John

GDC
4/23/2006, 06:55 AM
Hope you're okay.

william_brasky
4/23/2006, 07:33 AM
Glad you're OK Beef!

Where's that leave the Chinese Taco activities?

Take care yo'self.

leavingthezoo
4/23/2006, 08:00 AM
yeah but... how's the monkey? ;)

glad you didn't put off going to the doctor because you were willing to wait a month and see if it got any worse (stanley :P). best of luck embracing the changes. seriously. we want you around for a long time.

TexasLidig8r
4/24/2006, 09:07 AM
Yikes... So, the doc said... "no more smokes.... no more fattening food... cut back on the alcohol.. and lots, and lots and lots of rehabilitative sexual activity."

(I'm trying to give you the outline to use on your roommate.)

Embrace your new lease on life. I can only imagine how much more intense, how beautiful the sun rises and sunsets were for you this past week. The small things that we all take for granted...

Persevere amigo.

crawfish
4/24/2006, 09:08 AM
Beef needs to make sure to check in every few hours so we know he's ok.

BeetDigger
4/24/2006, 09:46 AM
This is what I get for leaving the SO on Friday and not checking back in over the weekend. Beef, glad to hear that you are still with us. It's called a gym. Let it be your best friend. This is Dallas by the way, the chicks have the finest plastic surgeons in the world. And they love to show off the work.

Sooner in Tampa
4/24/2006, 10:04 AM
Beef...damn dude...glad to hear that things worked out for you. Take care of yourself...the SO just wouldn't be the same without you.

Best of luck and I will throw down some good karma for ya.

GrapevineSooner
4/24/2006, 10:08 AM
I had a band director in high school quit smoking because of a heart attack. A few years later, my Father-in-law to be had one. He quit smoking, too.

Moral of the story is nothing will make you quit smoking faster than a heart attack.

Fugue
4/25/2006, 11:14 AM
Update? :confused:

4/25/2006, 11:33 AM
Update? :confused:Yeah, where's the Beef?

handcrafted
4/25/2006, 12:12 PM
Two words: Red. Wine.

Eat healthier and don't smoke are always good idears. People who have heart attacks that young are usually genetically prone to artery blockage, and if you are, you just have to be more careful than other people.

Me, I'm flipping a coin. If I got the genes from my mother's side of the family, I'll be getting cancer, have 2 heart attacks, and a stroke before I'm 60 (my grandfather, grandmother, and 2 great uncles respectively). If I got the genes from my fathers side, I can eat eggs and bacon every day for the rest of my life and live to be at least 92, if not close to 100, and have hardly any health problems. (my other grandfather and grandmother respectively)

We'll see. :D

Crimson_Balls
4/25/2006, 02:19 PM
BEEF? Where are you?

We need to know your OK man.

caphorns
4/25/2006, 02:52 PM
Just don't give up on da BEARS!

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9712/18/farley.obit.3/sports.fan.lg.jpg

Seriously, I will say some prayers to support you in overcoming smoking addiction and staying strict on your diet. My bet is you live to be an old man from here. Now, I've got to go have a quick heart attack myself so I can get on the Lid plan with my wife. Have you tried that one yet SAS? :)

4/26/2006, 03:09 PM
C'mon and check in with us slackards, Beef! If you're out there in cyberspace, say "hello".