PDA

View Full Version : sick and wrong.

Ike
4/21/2006, 01:14 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12407199/

just disgusting.

A patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office says researchers of the Netherland-based consumer electronics company have created a technology that could let broadcasters freeze a channel during a commercial, so viewers wouldn't be able to avoid it.

TUSooner
4/21/2006, 01:18 PM
I though this thread was going to be about Tuba. :confused:

I jest, sir. ;)

OUDoc
4/21/2006, 01:23 PM
The company also said it had no plans to use the technology in any of its products.

Philips wanted to provide the technology and seek the patent only as part of the broader developments within the industry, Philips spokesman Andre Manning said.

Right. Good use of money then, guys.

crawfish
4/21/2006, 01:23 PM
That's actually very great. I was wanting something to motivate me to stop watching so much tv.

crawfish
4/21/2006, 01:24 PM
Right. Good use of money then, guys.

Actually, there ARE companies that have patented technologies so that nobody would use them. I doubt Philips is one of 'em, though.

OUDoc
4/21/2006, 01:27 PM
Actually, there ARE companies that have patented technologies so that nobody would use them. I doubt Philips is one of 'em, though.
Seems like inventing the gun, just to claim you needed a use for that holster you invented a while back.

Ike
on the upside, something like this may bring back the notion of small privately owned TV repair shops. Especially if you have a tech that can disable or remove such a thing.

SoonerObsession
I think I'll just set the building on fire (has anyone seen my swingline stapler?)

yermom
4/21/2006, 01:29 PM
hopefully TiVo would have my back

Ike
4/21/2006, 01:34 PM
hopefully TiVo would have my back

one would hope...but I can imagine that if you can do this, you can also do something similar that prevents the fast forwarding of commercials. or even the non-recording of commercials. in fact, I can think of a bazillion evil purposes for something like that.

like say, setting the 'controller disable' flag or whatever is to 'on' permanently. so that when a channel surfer clicks over to your channel, they can't click it off...and you know some networks would think of doing that.

its just pure evil.