PDA

View Full Version : Q gets a little mention in this Chiefs article..

73Easting
4/21/2006, 10:28 AM
He'll Be Back

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- With an NFL draft full of tantalizing young players looming, Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson turned his attention Thursday to a veteran.

Peterson said he is counting Priest Holmes "in" for next season, as the three-time Pro Bowl running back continues to recover from midseason surgery for head and neck trauma.

"If we had to start today, right now, the doctor would not clear him for contact," Peterson said. "But we don't have to start today."

Holmes, who was injured last October against San Diego, is continuing to work out at his home in Texas, just as he has the past three offseasons. Peterson said doctors will evaluate him again soon, and new coach Herman Edwards said he hopes Holmes will be able to return.

Although they have more pressing needs at cornerback and defensive end, Holmes' status may not preclude the Chiefs from drafting a running back in a later round if the timing is right.

In 2003, the Chiefs took Larry Johnson in the first round, despite Holmes seemingly entrenched at running back. Three years later, the Penn State product emerged as one of the NFL's brightest young stars.

Johnson rushed for more than 100 yards in each of his nine starts after Holmes' injury, racking up 1,750 yards and scoring 20 touchdowns. It was enough that one of Edwards' first moves with the Chiefs was to name Johnson the starting running back entering fall camp.

"Priest knows that," Edwards said. "Everybody knows that."

But Edwards also noted that many of Johnson's yards came as he simply ran over defenders, a tactic that might wear him down over a full season.

That's why Edwards is eagerly awaiting Holmes' decision. The Chiefs have signed former Denver Broncos running back Quentin Griffin, but have very little depth beyond that. They also lost Tony Richardson, one of the best blocking fullbacks in the league, to free agency.

"I don't care what back it is, he's not going to carry the ball 500 times. You can figure out the rest mathematically," Edwards said. "You're going to have at least two backs."

Linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/20/bc.fbn.chiefs.holmes.ap/index.html)

Fugue
4/21/2006, 10:47 AM
seems to me like Q would compliment LJ very well. Hmmm, with Richardson gone, I wonder who they could draft to take that spot?

The Consumate Showman
4/21/2006, 01:55 PM
Q and JD on the same team would be WICKED!!!!!!!!!

OUGreg723
4/21/2006, 04:10 PM
Larry and Q. The two best RBs of 2002 on the same team!

stoopified
4/21/2006, 05:37 PM
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

okieballin
5/2/2006, 11:25 AM
from everything i've read, Q appears to be completely recovered from his knee injury, and ready to play again. i hope this second chance will work out for him. some of my best OU memories are of his incredible runs in 2000 and 2001. go Q!!!!!!!

IronSooner
5/2/2006, 11:44 AM
Can't wait to see what happens in the preseason games.

soonerhubs
5/2/2006, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see Q in some more NFL action this fall. That's fo sho.