PDA

View Full Version : Tool's new single

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 09:07 AM
So, in the discussion of Tool going on tour the other day, someone tells me that their new song is horrible. At that point I hadn't heard it yet (and to be honest was completely unaware that it was even being played already). Well we had some places to go later that night so I leave the radio on the local alternative rock station all night and they finally play it (I'm thinking it can't be as bad as they were saying it is)...Well, it is. I agree 100% that it is a bad song...It was so sad hearing this and knowing that it was the making of MJK, Adam, Danny, and Justin.

Some of the music in certain parts of the song sounds like Schism, but overall the song sounds just like all the other nu-metal garbage that is on the radio all the time now. I hope the CD is better...

soonerboomer93
4/21/2006, 09:36 AM
why do you hate Maynard?

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 09:40 AM
heh

I don't hate Maynard, just his new single. He has one of the best live performances I have seen (with both Tool and A Perfect Circle). I can't wait for the new cd to come out, I just hope the whole thing doesn't sound like this single. Regardless, I will buy the cd and if they come anywhere close to here I will go...

SoonerProphet
4/21/2006, 09:45 AM
Isn't the release day May 2nd or 4th?

soonerboomer93
4/21/2006, 09:47 AM
they're coming here on May 10th

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 09:48 AM
I believe May 2

travis
4/21/2006, 12:15 PM
I have the new cd it is gets better the more i listen to it. Jambi, the second song is def my favorite. The cd leaked last weekend i think and you can most likely find it on the various file sharing sites.

Rhino
4/21/2006, 01:04 PM
I agree 100% that it is a bad song...It was so sad hearing this and knowing that it was the making of MJK, Adam, Danny, and Justin.

Some of the music in certain parts of the song sounds like Schism, but overall the song sounds just like all the other nu-metal garbage that is on the radio all the time now. I hope the CD is better... Amen.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 01:06 PM
Mindcrime II also makes me cry very hard on the inside.

:(

Fugue
4/21/2006, 01:07 PM
Mindcrime II also makes me cry very hard on the inside.

:(

Amen :mad:

NormanPride
4/21/2006, 01:38 PM
I miss the old Metallica.

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 02:09 PM
I miss the old Metallica.
I miss the old Limp Bizkit

oh wait...no I don't...

silverwheels
4/21/2006, 02:11 PM
I miss the old Limp Bizkit

So you like the New Limp Bizkit? :D

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 03:05 PM
So you like the New Limp Bizkit? :D
I knew I set my self up for that one...Just didn't feel like going back to fix it.

But to answer your question, I wish Fred Durst had been shot before KoRn had the opportunity to find them...

handcrafted
4/21/2006, 03:35 PM
So does Mindcrime II suck also? Sheesh.

Well, I guess my CD budget won't take as big of a hit this summer.

GDC
4/21/2006, 03:38 PM
Tool has always required multiple listenings, it grows on me over time.

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 03:45 PM
I usually love their cd's the first time I hear them...Lateralus had to grow on me a little, I guess just because of the different sound and feel of the music, but I think it is a very good cd as well. This new song just doesn't work for me. The schism ripoff parts mixed with the popular nu-metal sound, not to mention the fact that in parts of the song the music drowns out the vocals...

Like I said, I hope this isn't one of the better songs on the cd, if it is this cd will be a big let down for me. :(

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 03:51 PM
So does Mindcrime II suck also? Sheesh.

Well, I guess my CD budget won't take as big of a hit this summer.

To someone that really loves the first one and really loves QR...

Yeah. It's heartbreaking. :(

GDC
4/21/2006, 03:55 PM
With all the Queensryche fans on this board I've never seen the love for Dream Theater I'd expect.

SoonerWood
4/21/2006, 03:57 PM
To someone that really loves the first one and really loves QR...

Yeah. It's heartbreaking. :(

well crap.

handcrafted
4/21/2006, 04:16 PM
With all the Queensryche fans on this board I've never seen the love for Dream Theater I'd expect.

http://www.dreamtheater.net

Dude, they're my 4th favorite band!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 04:18 PM

I love them.

I've got some stuff with them, Fates Warning and QR...some collaboration stuff that will make you lose your face...

silverwheels
4/21/2006, 04:19 PM
I like Dream Theater...

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 04:20 PM
I do too

Fugue
4/21/2006, 04:21 PM
I love them.

I've got some stuff with them, Fates Warning and QR...some collaboration stuff that will make you lose your face...

YES

handcrafted
4/21/2006, 04:36 PM
Sailing on the seven seize the day tripper diem's ready
Jack the ripper owens wilson phillips and my supper's ready
Lucy in the sky with diamond dave's not here I come to save the
Day for nightmare cinema show me the way to get back home again

Running forward
Falling back
Spinning round and round
Looking outward
Reaching in
Scream without a sound

Leaning over
Crawling up
Stumbling all around
Losing my place
Only to find I've come full circle

Flying off the handle careful with
That axe eugene gene the dance machine
Messiah light my fire gabba gabba
Hey hey my my generation's home again

This is a big part of why I dig DT. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 04:42 PM
YES

I could get it to you...legally, of course...if you'd like...:texan:

I think Halford's on one of the songs... \m/ !

GDC
4/21/2006, 05:07 PM

please?

GDC
4/21/2006, 05:08 PM
Testament and Exodus are greatly underappreciated IMO.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 05:11 PM
Okie-dokie.

I'll dig them out for you guys...

Jerk
4/21/2006, 06:06 PM
Prison sex was like, the most awesomest song I have ever heard in my life when I first listened to it. Then I started paying attention to what Maynard was saying, and it just grosses me out too much to hear it again. I have a weak stomach I guess.

Aslo, Maynard seems to hate Christians. I don't have a problem with people who aren't Christians, but people who hate them usually have an ulterior motive. If it weren't for this, I'd listen to nothing but tool, because as far as talent goes, they are the best (at that kind of music).

46&2 is my favorite song of theirs....wish I could listen to it again. But it'd be kind of stupid for a Christian to listen to tool...kind of like a Hindu who eats at McDonalds, or a monk who goes to a whore house.

LSUdeek
4/24/2006, 05:31 PM
Prison sex was like, the most awesomest song I have ever heard in my life when I first listened to it. Then I started paying attention to what Maynard was saying, and it just grosses me out too much to hear it again. I have a weak stomach I guess.

Aslo, Maynard seems to hate Christians. I don't have a problem with people who aren't Christians, but people who hate them usually have an ulterior motive. If it weren't for this, I'd listen to nothing but tool, because as far as talent goes, they are the best (at that kind of music).

46&2 is my favorite song of theirs....wish I could listen to it again. But it'd be kind of stupid for a Christian to listen to tool...kind of like a Hindu who eats at McDonalds, or a monk who goes to a whore house.

I'm a conservative who listens to RATM and a Christian who listens to Tool. You simply can't get the music anywhere else.

Having said that, Vicarious is an awesome song and all you hataz need to step off.

KC//CRIMSON
4/24/2006, 06:03 PM
Tool sold out Kansas City in six minutes.:eek:

colleyvillesooner
4/24/2006, 06:14 PM
Tool sold out Kansas City in six minutes.:eek:

They sold out Dallas in 30 sec.

Rhino
4/24/2006, 07:40 PM
Chuck Norris sold out Slapout so fast they changed the clocks back one hour.

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 09:44 AM
I had a reply to this all worked out last night and I lost my internet connection. I'm going to kill cox.

So anyway, my comment was that I listened to the new tool again last night and I didn't think it was that bad. OK, the melody sort of sucks and some of the singing is gay, but I like most of the actual music. There is some sort of Dream Theater sound to it, which now that I look back in the thread I see they have already randomly been mentioned. And they still have some of the typical Tool sound to it too. I've only listened to the newly released song though. I might have to legally obtain the whole CD tonight and give it a listen. I love tool, but quite frankly they usually have a few really BAD songs on their CDs. Maybe they released the wrong track.

Believe it or not, I think Mindcrime 2 isn't as bad as people say. OK, it's not 30% as good as Mindcrime, but it's better than everything they've released since Empire and it's definitely the closest thing they've had to their old sound. There will never be another album as good as Mindcrime, so there is no need to compare it to that because it will fail miserably every time. The second time through the album I realized this and started to actually enjoy acouple of the tracks. They do have several ... generic .. tracks though. You can't just jump to any track and like it like you do with Mindcrime. Also, there is some sort of weird thing with the new guy where he sometimes tries to sound like DeGarmo and sometimes he doesn't. He's pretty much screwed, because he's a poser wannabe if he plays like Chris but doesn't have the Queensryche sound if he doesn't.

I enjoy Dream Theater a TON, but it's hard for me to get past the, um, happy assed feel good songs and the love song/ballads. I really like analysing the complicated music, but I prefer the heavier stuff so I don't listen to them too much. I do have like 4 of their albums though. I have an mp3 of them playing "Seek and Destroy" I'll have to post tonight if I think of it.

Veritas
4/25/2006, 09:47 AM
Nothing will ever suck more than eMOTIVEe.

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 09:55 AM
Nothing will ever suck more than eMOTIVEe.
I have quite a few Perfect Circle tracks. Maybe all of them. I have a tendency to skip tracks quite a bit with them. For some reason I feel guilty doing that. Some of their music is awesome and some of it I can't believe is played by the same band.

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 09:57 AM
I had a reply to this all worked out last night and I lost my internet connection. I'm going to kill cox.

So anyway, my comment was that I listened to the new tool again last night and I didn't think it was that bad. OK, the melody sort of sucks and some of the singing is gay, but I like most of the actual music. There is some sort of Dream Theater sound to it, which now that I look back in the thread I see they have already randomly been mentioned. And they still have some of the typical Tool sound to it too. I've only listened to the newly released song though. I might have to legally obtain the whole CD tonight and give it a listen. I love tool, but quite frankly they usually have a few really BAD songs on their CDs. Maybe they released the wrong track.
I'd like to hear it again, I'm not going to completely write it off just yet. I will buy the cd when it comes out (and hope for the best). It just usually doesn't take me listening to their songs repeatedly and actually having to have their songs "grow on me". I popped in Undertow and from the first few seconds of Intolerance, I loved the cd...I didn't notice the Dream Theater sound to it (I guess I was still trying to figure out why parts of it sounded like schism). I'm sure the cd will be much better than this one single. I don't think Sober is the best track off of Undertow, and Stinkfist wasn't the best track off Aenema...

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 09:59 AM
I have quite a few Perfect Circle tracks. Maybe all of them. I have a tendency to skip tracks quite a bit with them. For some reason I feel guilty doing that. Some of their music is awesome and some of it I can't believe is played by the same band.
I absolutely love APC as well. They have a Tool-ish sound, while also having their own sound. They go from a song like Judith to a song like Sleeping Beauty or 3 Libras. I thought 13th Step was a great album as well...

Fugue
4/25/2006, 10:01 AM

crap, just saw this. thatid be great. I'll beat your calves in return. :)

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 10:03 AM
I'd like to hear it again, I'm not going to completely write it off just yet. I will buy the cd when it comes out (and hope for the best). It just usually doesn't take me listening to their songs repeatedly and actually having to have their songs "grow on me". I popped in Undertow and from the first few seconds of Intolerance, I loved the cd...I didn't notice the Dream Theater sound to it (I guess I was still trying to figure out why parts of it sounded like schism). I'm sure the cd will be much better than this one single. I don't think Sober is the best track off of Undertow, and Stinkfist wasn't the best track off Aenema...
There are some parts that sound REALLY Dream Theater-ish to me. Really complicated stuff that will probably take a few listens to "get". I was all like "what time signature is this anyway?"

Of course my opinions were a lot stronger on this right after I had heard the song.

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:04 AM
There are some parts that sound REALLY Dream Theater-ish to me. Really complicated stuff that will probably take a few listens to "get". I was all like "what time signature is this anyway?"

Of course my opinions were a lot stronger on this right after I had heard the song.
One of my other complaints was that the music in some spots would drown out the vocals. Maynard is one of the best vocalists out there right now IMHO and I don't see the point in covering the vocals up with the music...

colleyvillesooner
4/25/2006, 10:06 AM
One of my other complaints was that the music in some spots would drown out the vocals. Maynard is one of the best vocalists out there right now IMHO and I don't see the point in covering the vocals up with the music...

It's like that on many of the new songs.

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 10:11 AM
That explains it then. I always listen to the music first. The melody/vocals is usually just icing on the cake for me. I can't tell you one word of the new tool song, or even the name for that matter (I'm sure i could glance at the top of this thread). For example, old metallica is proabably my favorite music ever and I probably couldn't recite 30% of their lyrics acurately. I could probably hum 95% of all the guitar parts accurately though. i guess I'm weird that way.

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 10:12 AM
Oh, and that also explains why I don't like country "music".

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:15 AM
That explains it then. I always listen to the music first. The melody/vocals is usually just icing on the cake for me. I can't tell you one word of the new tool song, or even the name for that matter (I'm sure i could glance at the top of this thread). For example, old metallica is proabably my favorite music ever and I probably couldn't recite 30% of their lyrics acurately. I could probably hum 95% of all the guitar parts accurately though. i guess I'm weird that way.
I have no idea what the name of the new song is. I've heard it once all the way through and turned it on about halfway through the song another time (I am usually listening to a sports talk radio station on my way to and from work).

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:16 AM
Oh, and that also explains why I don't like country "music".
Music and words are 2 good reasons to not listen to coutry music.

Fugue
4/25/2006, 10:20 AM

completely agree with this post

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/25/2006, 10:26 AM
Believe it or not, I think Mindcrime 2 isn't as bad as people say. OK, it's not 30% as good as Mindcrime, but it's better than everything they've released since Empire and it's definitely the closest thing they've had to their old sound. There will never be another album as good as Mindcrime, so there is no need to compare it to that because it will fail miserably every time. The second time through the album I realized this and started to actually enjoy acouple of the tracks. They do have several ... generic .. tracks though. You can't just jump to any track and like it like you do with Mindcrime. Also, there is some sort of weird thing with the new guy where he sometimes tries to sound like DeGarmo and sometimes he doesn't. He's pretty much screwed, because he's a poser wannabe if he plays like Chris but doesn't have the Queensryche sound if he doesn't.

I'd heard that DeGarmo was back and that this was the original line-up.

Sad.

Pants.

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:32 AM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3032/mjk19yb.png (http://imageshack.us)http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/9423/mjk23va.png (http://imageshack.us)

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 10:34 AM
I'd heard that DeGarmo was back and that this was the original line-up.

Sad.

Pants.
I heard that too, although it was probably from you :).

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/25/2006, 10:37 AM
I heard that too, although it was probably from you :).

I think you did - I was pimpin' it out pretty hard...:O

I really wanted to like it. And I don't know how to not compare it to the first one...I was so looking forward to it and so wanted it to RMFO.

*Sigh.*

Norm In Norman
4/25/2006, 10:41 AM
I would advise listening to it at least twice more. It won't be at the top of your list or anything, but It might not make it to the trash bin. Or recycle bin.

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:44 AM
Funny, when Stanley heard the words to this song, it became the main reason he liked Tool.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/25/2006, 10:44 AM
I would advise listening to it at least twice more. It won't be at the top of your list or anything, but It might not make it to the trash bin. Or recycle bin.

I made it through the 5th song the first time I listened to it. I wanted to cry. I just kept waiting for the one song...that one that would make it all okay...so I put it back on and listened some more...got even more sad and stopped. The next day I put it back on and tried again...stopped before it was over. I finally made it all the way through. I need to just let it roll while I'm driving and try not to compare it to the first one - I think this is where I'm going wrong.

I think I'll do that today when I leave.

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:45 AM
It will definitely get a few spins when I buy the cd. I'll listen to the entire album all the way through and get a feel for the album after I get it. Then I'll start picking songs apart and forming an opinion on them...

just realized this post was directed to blondesooner ;)

Osce0la
4/25/2006, 10:46 AM
nm

SoonerWood
5/2/2006, 09:40 AM
I heard the new Tool album finally. Loud. I dug it from the first go around.

I don't know how a Tool fan can not like this CD. Maybe it wasn't loud enough? Crank it to 11.

It's a lot of the same tricks they used in the past, but Tool does it so well they can get away with it.

handcrafted
5/2/2006, 10:48 AM
More album reviews, please. I need to know whether to stop by Hastings on the way home.

Osce0la
5/5/2006, 01:50 PM
After hearing the single actually on the cd, for some reason it just clicked with me. I love it now, as I do the whole cd. It has a bit of a different sound, but they made it work. Certain parts of certain songs remind me of aenema and Undertow...Overall I think this is a great cd.

GDC
6/18/2006, 09:58 AM
I finally got it, it is a piece of work.

starclassic tama
6/18/2006, 11:41 AM
the album is really good, but it just seems like tool has now fallen into the trap that every band goes through in their career. they are just going through the motions. i saw them in kansas city, and the vibe was really different. not serious at all, joking around having fun. i just don't think they are motivated to make great albums like lateralus and aenima anymore, now that they are so successful. can't say i blame them, it just sort of sucks because tool is an all-time favorite of mine, and lateralus is the best album that has ever been recorded.

p.s. dream theatre is horrible

Osce0la
6/18/2006, 03:21 PM
the album is really good, but it just seems like tool has now fallen into the trap that every band goes through in their career. they are just going through the motions. i saw them in kansas city, and the vibe was really different. not serious at all, joking around having fun. i just don't think they are motivated to make great albums like lateralus and aenima anymore, now that they are so successful. can't say i blame them, it just sort of sucks because tool is an all-time favorite of mine, and lateralus is the best album that has ever been recorded.

p.s. dream theatre is horrible
It's not even their best album...how can it be the best album ever?