PDA

View Full Version : Two of my biggest fears...combined

william_brasky
4/21/2006, 06:07 AM
Article indicates it's for a good reason, but I'm a bit leery.

Pa. Professor Develops Snake-Like Robots By DANIEL LOVERING, Associated

For most people, snakes seem unpleasant or even threatening. But Howie Choset sees in their delicate movements a way to save lives.

The Carnegie Mellon University professor has spent years developing snake-like robots he hopes will eventually slither through collapsed buildings in search of trapped victims. In recent weeks, Choset and some of his students got the remote-controlled devices to climb up and around pipes.

Rescue workers say such robots would help locate survivors.

"Right now, the way to get to these trapped survivors is to pull the rubble out one rock at a time," Choset said. "So our dream is to have the snake robot thread through this collapsed rubble and get to victims more quickly."

Dan Kara, whose Robotics Trends company publishes an online industry magazine and runs robotics trade shows, said other snakelike robots are being developed, mainly at universities, but he didn't know of one that could climb pipes.

The Carnegie Mellon machines are designed to carry cameras and electronic sensors and can be controlled with a joystick. They wriggle with the help of small electric motors, or servos, commonly used by hobbyists in model airplanes. Built from lightweight aluminum or plastic, the robots are about the size of a human arm or smaller.

Sam Stover, a search team manager with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said snake-type robots would offer greater mobility than equipment currently available, such as cameras attached to extendable poles. Although sniffer dogs are better, he said, they can only be used effectively when workers have access to damaged buildings.

Choset said the robots may not be ready for use for another five to 10 years, depending on funding. For now, he and his team plan to continue testing the machines at mock disaster sites around the country.

OUHOMER
4/21/2006, 06:21 AM
i can see somebody trapped and in the dark they see a snake coming at them. they would pickup rock and beat it to death..

otherwise a good idea

fadada1
4/21/2006, 07:42 AM
i can see somebody trapped and in the dark they see a snake coming at them. they would pickup rock and beat it to death..

otherwise a good idea
why do you hate trapped people in the dark?

GottaHavePride
4/21/2006, 08:15 AM
Unless you add a speaker to the snake robot. It could announce its presence, like "Do not be alarmed! I am a rescue snake robot, here to bring you some funky mechanical snake action!"

And then it could play the theme to Sanford and Son.

fadada1
4/21/2006, 08:22 AM
Unless you add a speaker to the snake robot. It could announce its presence, like "Do not be alarmed! I am a rescue snake robot, here to bring you some funky mechanical snake action!"

or the stereotypical pron music... beaoo chicha bow bow.

bri
4/21/2006, 08:30 AM
In the future, all music will be made by robots.

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 08:40 AM
In the future, all music will be made by robots.
In the future, all music will be made by robotic snakes.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 08:42 AM
Do the snake robots smell like cabbage?

Because that would be really scary...

TexasLidig8r
4/21/2006, 09:03 AM

Cabbage????? :confused:

Is that one of those special, "cool kids, insider things" that we resident Horns are not allowed to know about?

JohnnyMack
4/21/2006, 09:13 AM

Got small hands, smells like cabbage.

Viking Kitten
4/21/2006, 09:30 AM
How 'bout a cabbage-smelling, robot snake with a frickin' laser beam strapped to its head?

fadada1
4/21/2006, 09:38 AM
Cabbage????? :confused:

Is that one of those special, "cool kids, insider things" that we resident Horns are not allowed to know about?
yeah, that and having a good football coach;)

Scott D
4/21/2006, 09:44 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about reality and common sense ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/21/2006, 11:25 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about reality and common sense ;)

Have we met?

:D

BeetDigger
4/21/2006, 11:45 AM
The snakes have to come with MP3 download capability however.

Scott D
4/21/2006, 11:49 AM
Have we met?

http://sargman.freehomepage.com/images/dani3.jpg

You're my Nymphetamine Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl

MamaMia
4/21/2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not a big snake lover either. I heard the other day that in Southeast Oklahoma, democrats will put rattlesnakes, with the rattles cut off, in the backyards of any republican entertaining the idea of running for office. :eek:

Pricetag
4/21/2006, 01:02 PM
I want the mf'n robotic snakes off the mf'n plane!

yermom
4/21/2006, 01:12 PM

i don't think that will even help

you'd have to make it pink and fluffy

soonerscuba
4/21/2006, 01:37 PM
I'm not a big snake lover either. I heard the other day that in Southeast Oklahoma, democrats will put rattlesnakes, with the rattles cut off, in the backyards of any republican entertaining the idea of running for office. :eek:

How else are we going to continue the rampant lesbianism in the schools if the Republicans win office?