PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a house

AllAboutThe'O'
4/20/2006, 11:44 PM
I've lived in apartments for over 10 years, and I also lived in a rent house when I was working at my first job, but I've never actually bought a house. However, I'm thinking about taking the plunge.
I've already looked at a few houses this week, one of which already caught my eye today. A four-bedroom with a two-story building out back which has a downstairs garage and an upstairs room that can be used as an office. But I'm also going to look at a few more houses next week and I've already got a real estate agent that's helping me out.
And before anyone asks, I've already gotten the green light from my bank, which pre-qualified me and told me to "have a blast."
Anyone recommend anything else I need to do before I take the plunge and be a first-time homeowner?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
4/20/2006, 11:53 PM
Check the teeth!

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said "thinking about buying a horse."

:D

mrssoonerhubler
4/20/2006, 11:56 PM
Make sure your neighbors don't deal meth like ours. :)

AllAboutThe'O'
4/20/2006, 11:57 PM
Make sure your neighbors don't deal meth like ours. :)
Well I had the good fortune to meet the next-door neighbor of the house I was looking at today and really liked. Older woman who had been living at her house for 53 years, so that's got to count for something. Plus she was tending to her garden and I don't think she was growing any meth.

mrssoonerhubler
4/21/2006, 12:07 AM
Well I had the good fortune to meet the next-door neighbor of the house I was looking at today and really liked. Older woman who had been living at her house for 53 years, so that's got to count for something. Plus she was tending to her garden and I don't think she was growing any meth.

Sounds good. You've got a horticulturalist and We've got a pharmacist.:twinkies:

Hamhock
4/21/2006, 08:20 AM
My advice is to buy 50%-75% of the house you think you can afford.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 08:22 AM
My advice is to buy 50%-75% of the house you think you can afford.

why is that? If you think you can spend $1000/mo you should find a house that you can pay $500 to $750/mo?

I've always heard to get a little more than you think you can afford.

SoonerWood
4/21/2006, 08:25 AM

Marijuana garden?

Hamhock
4/21/2006, 08:26 AM
Just a general opinion/observation that a lot of people get in over their head with their mortgage payment. I would rather have less of a payment and travel/do other stuff or pay the house off early than be strapped to a mortgage and not be able to buy the kids ice cream.

Taxman71
4/21/2006, 08:27 AM
My advice: Get a highly-respected home inspecter after you enter a contract for purchase and do not let anything slide with the sellers. Be especially careful with the termite inspection and demand a certificate if any prior damage or termite repair work has been done. Finally, save the seller's disclosure statement (they are required to provide this in Oklahoma) forever. If they check "OK", then your roof leaks, you may have a good claim.

Okla-homey
4/21/2006, 08:28 AM

But she'll die soon and her no-account son and his common-law wife and three kids will surely move in.

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 08:36 AM
Just a general opinion/observation that a lot of people get in over their head with their mortgage payment. I would rather have less of a payment and travel/do other stuff or pay the house off early than be strapped to a mortgage and not be able to buy the kids ice cream.
That is my wife's problem. We are currently looking for a house as well, and she keeps seeing these houses that she loves and thinks we can afford...She doesn't think it through enough to remember that we still have a car note, and an 8 month old baby, no to mention all the bills that go along with purchasing a house. I mean sure, we could get one of these houses she wants, but we couldn't have electricity, heat, air, water, food, etc...

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:00 AM
I've got a house in Flower Mound I'll make somebody a deal on.

crawfish
4/21/2006, 09:03 AM
I've got a house in Flower Mound I'll make somebody a deal on.

Can you have sex on it?

Can I buy just the pool?

I'll give you five bucks for it.

Partial Qualifier
4/21/2006, 09:07 AM
Check out the neighborhood like mad. Drive through in the evenings, take a walk around the neighborhood, etc. Practically any neighborhood can appear quiet & peaceful when you drive through with a realtor at 10:30 on a Tuesday morning. At that time of day, it's hard to gauge if your neighbors are really the kind of people you want to live around.

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:07 AM
Can you have sex on it?

Apparently not.

JohnnyMack
4/21/2006, 09:09 AM
I'll give you five bucks for it.

I'll raise to five-fiddy.

crawfish
4/21/2006, 09:09 AM
Apparently not.

By "you", I mean "the pool man".

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:12 AM
Pedro.

JohnnyMack
4/21/2006, 09:13 AM
Why were you and the pool man having sex anyway?

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:15 AM
He offered me his protection.

Mjcpr
4/21/2006, 09:15 AM
Why were you and the pool man having sex anyway?

Too many mimosas.

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:17 AM
Too many mimosas.

Those go straight to my head.

get it?

JohnnyMack
4/21/2006, 09:18 AM

http://www.fakecrap.com/images/jokes/small_pecker_condoms.jpg

crawfish
4/21/2006, 09:18 AM

Ribbed...for your pleasure.

http://www.undercovercondoms.com/condomphotos/t_ribbed_sl_12box1.jpg

:texan:

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.fakecrap.com/images/jokes/small_pecker_condoms.jpg

Your sister didn't mind.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 09:28 AM
When are you needing to sell yours Howzit? I'm looking to buy a house in about 6-8 months.

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:33 AM
When are you needing to sell yours Howzit? I'm looking to buy a house in about 6-8 months.

Sooner than that. We don't have to sell, we just want to move to a different neighborhood.

Mjcpr
4/21/2006, 09:34 AM
Sooner than that. We don't have to sell, we just want to move to a different neighborhood.

Red Flags = 1

JohnnyMack
4/21/2006, 09:35 AM
. <- Red Flag #2

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:35 AM
Red Flags = 1

No, really, the guy across the street that was face-down on the ground with police guns pointed at his head had nothing to do with the decision.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 09:36 AM
let me know where you move to. I'll put a hold on the house search until I learn where you have moved to.

1stTimeCaller
4/21/2006, 09:37 AM
we can ride bikes together and sometimes I'll let you get on my back and I'll flap my ears and we can fly over the neighborhood.

mrowl
No, really, the guy across the street that was face-down on the ground with police guns pointed at his head had nothing to do with the decision.

I can only think of 3 sucky neighborhoods in FM, and I hope your not in those.

Howzit
Ok! I'll post the new address! And my SSN!

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:39 AM
I can only think of 3 sucky neighborhoods in FM, and I hope your not in those.

It's not a sucky neighborhood. You just never know about the guy living across the street.

Actually we have been ready to move the last couple of years but just never pulled the trigger. This helped us reach a decision.

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:40 AM
we can ride bikes together and sometimes I'll let you get on my back and I'll flap my ears and we can fly over the neighborhood.

'Kay! But I'm really not interested in your trunk.

Osce0la
4/21/2006, 09:53 AM
Ok! I'll post the new address! And my SSN!
Checking account number and routing address? This would help me out tremendously...

crawfish
4/21/2006, 09:55 AM

Two-fifty. :twinkies:

Howzit
4/21/2006, 09:58 AM
Two-fifty k. :twinkies:

Sold!

It's a lot higher than list, but for you I'll make an exception!

crawfish
4/21/2006, 10:15 AM
Sold!

It's a lot higher than list, but for you I'll make an exception!

I said two and a half :twinkies:, you dolt.

I already ate half of one. :O

Howzit
4/21/2006, 10:18 AM
Holy crap. We just got an offer. A real offer. One day of showing.

Jimminy Crimson
4/21/2006, 10:22 AM
Holy crap. We just got an offer. A real offer. One day of showing.

Hide the sex swing before they change their mind! :O