PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD Has the Edge??

thenotman
4/20/2006, 01:51 PM
Market research firm ABI Research believes that Toshiba's HD DVD format will benefit from hitting the market months before Blu-ray but that over the long-term the combination of strong studio support and the inclusion of Blu-ray in the PS3 will enable Blu-ray to prevail. Microsoft says otherwise, however.

Yesterday Toshiba began shipping the very first HD DVD players in North America, with the initial support of movies from Warner Home Video and Universal Studios Home Entertainment. By getting its players to market now, Toshiba is beating its hi-def rival Blu-ray by about four months, but will that head start make a difference in the format war?

According to ABI Research, the answer is "yes," at least in the short term. ABI says that North America "represents by far the most important market for the new high-definition formats, accounting for more than 60% of all HDTVs that ABI Research expects will be shipped during 2006." By getting to market earlier and offering a lower price than Blu-ray, HD DVD can leverage the growing HDTV user base in the U.S.

LINK (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12451&rp=49)

85Sooner
4/20/2006, 02:08 PM
I personally thinnk both formats will fail and join the world of betamax, dat, etc...

slickdawg
4/20/2006, 02:13 PM
One will survive, the question is which.

Taxman71
4/20/2006, 02:17 PM
I have no faith in anything from Toshiba. I have one of their DVD-Recorders and it is the suck. Recordings freeze during the playback and it takes 10 minutes to replace a DVD just to watch. Now they think they can master HD-DVD? Ha.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 02:23 PM
I personally thinnk both formats will fail and join the world of betamax, dat, etc...

agree. they will be around for a few years, but will struggle, and never lock in.

What is going to work is streaming, or downloading the content. In the next 3-5 years all content will be readily available through the services like iTunes.

skycat
4/20/2006, 02:33 PM
agree. they will be around for a few years, but will struggle, and never lock in.

What is going to work is streaming, or downloading the content. In the next 3-5 years all content will be readily available through the services like iTunes.

Maybe, but that's a lot of bandwidth.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 02:37 PM
Maybe, but that's a lot of bandwidth.

yes, but with the continued replacement of older lines with fiber (all the way to your house or business), it will only be a short term issue.

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 02:38 PM
There can be only one.

skycat
4/20/2006, 02:45 PM
yes, but with the continued replacement of older lines with fiber (all the way to your house or business), it will only be a short term issue.

I don't believe there will be fiber to my door within the next 5 years.

mrowl
4/20/2006, 02:47 PM

I didn't even think about it 2 years ago. But I now have it to my house. And so do maybe 10 other cities in N. Texas, and I don't know how many across the country.

sooneron
4/20/2006, 03:03 PM
Two formats enter...

http://www.oz.net/~geoffsi/images/bm2002/60-Thu/m/BM2002-0974-08292349-Thunderdome-.jpg

NormanPride
4/20/2006, 03:07 PM
Blu-ray - higher quality, higher cost
HD-DVD - lower quality, lower cost

Betamax - higher quality, higher cost
VHS - lower quality, lower cost

Hmm...

sooneron
4/20/2006, 03:09 PM
Blu-ray - higher quality, higher cost
HD-DVD - lower quality, lower cost

Betamax - higher quality, higher cost
VHS - lower quality, lower cost

Hmm...
Good take:texan:

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 03:09 PM

I can light a poop sack on fire and put it on your porch. Is that close enough?

NormanPride
4/20/2006, 03:48 PM
Skycat needs to eat more veggies...

skycat
4/20/2006, 04:11 PM
Skycat needs to eat more veggies...

So you're saying that you have a line of fiber straight to your home office?

Weird.