PDA

View Full Version : Gas Stations that limit purchases

Boarder
4/20/2006, 12:32 PM
Why? There are several gas stations that not only demand prepayment, they only let you buy so much gas per transaction. If you want more, you'd need to swipe your card again. I saw a sticker at 7-11 that said "To cut down your costs, the pump will cut off on credit card purchases at $75 for Visa and Discover and $50 for Mastercard".

Save me costs? Why would they care if I bought $1000 of gas? That is the most mind boggling thing I've ever heard. Is there some transaction fee thing I'm not aware of?

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 12:34 PM
I've never seen this, but good question. I was always under the impression that as a merchant, you wanted a higher average ticket to hopefully lower your assessed fees by your merchant services provider. Maybe not.

Froze?

Vaevictis
4/20/2006, 12:35 PM
I imagine it's because of credit card fraud. Merchant gets left holding the bag on credit card fraud, and they get a nice chargeback fee to boot.

I don't know why they'd prefer *two* transactions if they were worried about fraud, though... maybe because there are two chances for the credit card issuer to trigger an alert?

Boarder
4/20/2006, 12:37 PM
If I did several transactions right in a row at the same place, I'd think that would trigger some thing at the credit card company and they'd put the account on hold. Maybe not.

I can tell you as a merchant I would not try to put a cap on your purchases. :lwm:

Osce0la
4/20/2006, 12:45 PM
They did this when there was a scare of a shortage, but I can't imagine why they'd do it now.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2006, 12:47 PM
Another reason to hate the gas station that is responsible for keeping QT out of our market. :mad:

Newbomb Turk
4/20/2006, 12:47 PM
If you didn't drive a gas guzzler, you wouldn't need to worry about it. ;)

Boarder
4/20/2006, 12:52 PM
OH NO YOU DI'UNT!

I knew that was coming. That's not the point. What if I wanted to buy more than $75 worth of be...uh, soda?

Boarder
4/20/2006, 12:53 PM
I called the comment line and the girl there was just as amazed as I was. I got the number to corporate and I'm calling now.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2006, 12:53 PM
OH NO YOU DI'UNT!

I knew that was coming. That's not the point. What if I wanted to buy more than $75 worth of ZIMA?

:texan:

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2006, 12:54 PM
I called the comment line and the girl there was just as amazed as I was. I got the number to corporate and I'm calling now.

Can't wait to hear their explanation. :rolleyes:

7-11 is keeping :lwm: down!

Boarder
4/20/2006, 12:55 PM
Called corporate
transferred to gasoline department.

Left a message for a girl named Honey.
Not sure if it's the girl from Wayne's World 2.

Interesting.

Stanley1
4/20/2006, 12:56 PM
QT sucks. That is all.

toast
I saw a sticker at 7-11 that said "To cut down your costs, the pump will cut off on credit card purchases at $75 for Visa and Discover and $50 for Mastercard".

I can see how that is much more effective way of cutting costs for the consumer as opposed to say lowering the price of gasoline. :mad:

Boarder
What if I bought exactly $75 of ZIMA? I'd have no money left over for Jolly Ranchers? DC'd be up-set.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2006, 12:57 PM
QT sucks. That is all.

Overall, it is cleaner and has a better selection than 7-11.

Stanley1
4/20/2006, 12:58 PM
I can see how that is much more effective way of cutting costs for the consumer as opposed to say lowering the price of gasoline. :mad:

Uh.....that ain't the gas stations fault.

Stanley1
4/20/2006, 12:59 PM
Overall, it is cleaner and has a better selection than 7-11.

Maybe, but it is also the Walmart of gas stations in that they are responsible for shutting down alot of mom and pop shops in Oklahoma. And they sell the cheapest gasoline made.

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe, but it is also the Walmart of gas stations in that they are responsible for shutting down alot of mom and pop shops in Oklahoma.

I think you mean Apu and Manjula shops.

toast
4/20/2006, 01:04 PM
Uh.....that ain't the gas stations fault.

True dat, and I've heard that stations don't gain profits when prices go up because they lower their margins to keep the price down and consumers purchase less quantity...but my credit card receipts still state QT & 7-11.

Boarder
4/20/2006, 01:06 PM
I tried to e-mail. Got an internal server error. Maybe the server can only take up to 75 characters at a time.

Stanley1
4/20/2006, 01:10 PM
True dat, and I've heard that stations don't gain profits when prices go up because they lower their margins to keep the price down and consumers purchase less quantity...but my credit card receipts still state QT & 7-11.

Actually, you guys would be shocked at how small the margin is anyways. On average, most stations probably are selling there gas somewhere between 3-5 cents per gallon over what they paid for it.

That doesn't equate to alot of profit for most places.

Boarder
4/20/2006, 01:19 PM
Actually, you guys would be shocked at how small the margin is anyways. On average, most stations probably are selling there gas somewhere between 3-5 cents per gallon over what they paid for it.

That doesn't equate to alot of profit for most places.
All the more reason to let someone buy all the gas they want. Sell as much as possible.

Stanley1
4/20/2006, 01:32 PM
All the more reason to let someone buy all the gas they want. Sell as much as possible.

Oh, I agree with you, that is weird.

toast
4/20/2006, 01:35 PM

I'm sure that somehow, in someway, there will be an aggie involved in this.:D

RacerX
4/20/2006, 01:47 PM
Froze?

That's not gonna happen.

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 01:47 PM
That's not gonna happen.

What....I thought he had a mostly positive experience??

:D

Cam
4/20/2006, 08:48 PM
Why? There are several gas stations that not only demand prepayment, they only let you buy so much gas per transaction. If you want more, you'd need to swipe your card again. I saw a sticker at 7-11 that said "To cut down your costs, the pump will cut off on credit card purchases at $75 for Visa and Discover and $50 for Mastercard".

Save me costs? Why would they care if I bought $1000 of gas? That is the most mind boggling thing I've ever heard. Is there some transaction fee thing I'm not aware of?
I saw that at a 7-11 the other day as well.

I believe it has to do with those dollar figures being the amount that the credit card companies reserve for the gas purchase before you pump.

It's more to protect the store from fraud than it is to protect the consumer.

Tiptonsooner
4/20/2006, 09:54 PM
It happened to me today. I had never ran my gas hog that low, with prices this high. The pump shut off at 75 bucks and I wasn't near full. I just thought the man was keepin' me down. This was at Circle K in Altus, America.

Jerk
4/21/2006, 03:14 AM
Another reason to hate the gas station that is responsible for keeping QT out of our market. :mad:

LOL! It's not like you're missing anything, and thank god they don't play those annoying commercials on this side of the turnpike.

Mjcpr
4/21/2006, 07:49 AM
LOL! It's not like you're missing anything, and thank god they don't play those annoying commercials on this side of the turnpike.

:confused:

I don't remember seeing a QT commercial since I was a kid and they had that dog.......what was his name?

Hamhock
4/21/2006, 08:05 AM
I can't believe you guys are hatin' on QT. It's clean, friendly and fiddy different frozen drinks. They're better than most of the nasty gas stations out there. I even hear they have excellent catfish.

bri
4/21/2006, 08:14 AM

I don't remember seeing a QT commercial since I was a kid and they had that dog.......what was his name?

That would be Lamar.

Mjcpr
4/21/2006, 08:15 AM
Yes, that's the one.......Lamarr. :)

Scott D
4/21/2006, 09:33 AM
it's not just 7-11's that are doing that. I think a lot of gas stations limit credit/debit purchases at the pump to that same price range. Sounds more like a CYA tactic by them in terms of dealing with actually getting paid.

Boarder
4/24/2006, 02:45 PM
UPDATE!!

I actually got a call back today from a dude at 7-11 Corporate headquarters in Dallas. Unfortunately, Oklahoma 7-11s are individually owned and just lease the name. The Dallas corporate office can't do anything about it. He, like me, wondered why on earth anyone would do such a thing.

The investigation continues.....

Mjcpr
4/24/2006, 02:46 PM
Can you call the store manager?

Boarder
4/24/2006, 02:49 PM
I'm gonna ask for more numbers next time I go there. I feel so Brad Edwards in your cornerish.

yermom
4/24/2006, 03:02 PM
That would be Lamar.

remember "Lamar Cups"?

i love QT, best gas stations evar!

they are kinda falling off in the cleanliness thing though

i still wish they were around here

Boarder
4/25/2006, 02:21 PM
UPDATED UPDATE

I finally got a straight answer. I called the Conoco helpline.

They do this because of credit card fraud. According to the lady, you can take your card inside and leave it and they'll set it to fill it up. I find this hard to believe since the cashiers at the Conoco I went to had the same "Duh!" look when I asked them about it.

So thanks a lot deadbeat credit card frauders. Yet another annoyance that I have to put up with because of your uselessness.

sooner_born_1960
4/25/2006, 02:57 PM
Boarder, I think you got part of the answer. When you swipe your card at a pump Visa, MC, etc.. authorizes an amount. That amount evidently varies by card. That means 7-11 will get paid for a purchase up to that amount. If they let you keep filling past that amount, they are on the hook for the difference. That's why the little sign says to swipe again if you need more. A new amount will be authorized and 7-11, Conoco, etc... are covered.

Boarder
4/25/2006, 02:59 PM
It's unbelievably ridiculous that they have to resort to this because of so much thievery.

sooner_born_1960
4/25/2006, 02:59 PM
And of course you can buy $1000 worth of zima because they'll ring it up, swipe your card, and it'll be authorized for that amount, if'n you're good for it.

sooner_born_1960
4/25/2006, 03:01 PM
Now Boarder, if a customer of your's want to buy hisself some $1000 spinners, but he can't get his card authorized for more that $600, are you gonna go ahead and let have them anyway?

Mjcpr
4/25/2006, 03:01 PM
The Jolly Ranchers will require cash money, however.

Boarder
4/25/2006, 03:05 PM
Now Boarder, if a customer of your's want to buy hisself some $1000 spinners, but he can't get his card authorized for more that $600, are you gonna go ahead and let have them anyway?
Heck no! They'll have to buy them two at a time! :D

All they have to do it explain that your card is only automatically approved for $75. Instead of some stupid "To cut your costs" stuff.

sooner_born_1960
4/25/2006, 03:07 PM
All they have to do it explain that your card is only automatically approved for $75. Instead of some stupid "To cut your costs" stuff.
Agreed.

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 03:38 PM
I think they'll need to up their approval amount when we're upwards of $3.00/gal :mad:

soonerbrat
4/25/2006, 03:47 PM
One of the soccer dads was talking about this the other day...he said it was his credit card company that limited it at the gas pump.

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 03:51 PM
Do girls at the soccer field dream about soccer dads like the boys do about soccer moms? :cool:

Boarder
4/25/2006, 03:56 PM
The lady at Conoco said they were considering upping the amount due to the high prices.

yermom
4/25/2006, 08:07 PM
why don't they just make you enter your ATM pin at the pump?

Jerk
4/25/2006, 08:21 PM

They're on the radio alot. They did a skit where some white dude raps about his choca-latte'

They're almost as bad as sonic commercials.

yermom
4/25/2006, 08:25 PM
Those Sonic commercials are awesome

Jimminy Crimson
4/25/2006, 08:30 PM
Those Sonic commercials are awesome

mad flava! :D

Cam
4/25/2006, 09:20 PM
[Mic test] This thing on? [/Mic test]

I saw that at a 7-11 the other day as well.

I believe it has to do with those dollar figures being the amount that the credit card companies reserve for the gas purchase before you pump.

It's more to protect the store from fraud than it is to protect the consumer.

Sooner_Bob
4/25/2006, 09:22 PM

I guess you could always restart the pump to get more if you needed it . . . but you're right, why should it matter.

Sooner_Bob
4/25/2006, 09:25 PM
I tried to e-mail. Got an internal server error. Maybe the server can only take up to 75 characters at a time.

heh

sooner_born_1960
4/25/2006, 09:35 PM
Oh, yeah. I think Cam got it right.

Cam
4/25/2006, 10:07 PM
Oh, yeah. I think Cam got it right.
I gotta give it up to Froze, learned it from him.

OzarkSooner
4/25/2006, 10:11 PM
Cuz they can

Boarder
4/26/2006, 10:19 AM
Apparantly, the Oklahoman people read the South Oval

Visa policy prompts move by 7-Eleven stores

By Don Mecoy
The Oklahoman

Card limit fueling confusion at pumps
Filling up with gasoline already is a frustrating experience, but the transaction also has led to confusion for some Visa credit card customers at Oklahoma City area 7-Eleven stores.

Local 7-Eleven President Jim Brown said his company decided to shut down its gasoline pumps at $50 anytime a customer used a Visa credit card to prepay for a transaction.

"That's not what we want to deliver for our customers," Brown said. The company has posted signs on its pumps explaining the situation.

Visa said its policy is to place a $50 "hold" on a cardholder's account anytime the card is used to prepay a purchase.

The card issuer then is liable for the first $50 if there are insufficient funds in the customer's account or if the transaction is fraudulent. The merchant is liable for amounts beyond $50, Visa said.

Merchants also carry more liability when customers challenge a charge on their account greater than $50, according to Visa.

Customers can use their Visa cards to perform a second transaction should their vehicle require more than $50 worth of gasoline, Brown said.

Brown said 7-Eleven's business model of offering the lowest possible price for gasoline forced his company's hand.

"This was a very difficult decision for us," he said.

Several customers have called questioning the policy, Brown said.

Vance McSpadden, executive director of the Oklahoma Association of Convenience Stores, said MasterCard carries higher "hold" and liability limits.

Although McSpadden was not aware of any other local gasoline retailer cutting off sales at $50, some have complained about Visa's policy.

"They're going to have to do something, because this is going to be a problem nationally," McSpadden said.

Yeah, I'm going to say they don't explain a whole lot.

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 10:25 AM
So it's just 7-11? Sucks for you that you don't have QT's. :)

Boarder
4/26/2006, 10:33 AM
No, Conoco/66 and I imagine everywhere else once this gets out.

NormanPride
4/26/2006, 10:38 AM
Did someone here actually argue for "Mom and Pop" gas stations? What the heck do they bring to the table? Dirty bathrooms and overpriced gas? Crappy food selections and weird truck-stop trinkets?

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 10:39 AM
They'd put the gas in for people like me and Dean who don't know how to do it ourselves.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't QT the Kuwaiti gas arm in the U.S.?

In the U.K. they were known as Q8...

Mjcpr
4/26/2006, 11:27 AM
Isn't QT the Kuwaiti gas arm in the U.S.?

In the U.K. they were known as Q8...

I'm thinking no.

Scott D
4/26/2006, 11:42 AM
Well like I've said, all of the gas stations up here have had that $50 limit for cards for a long time. I don't think it was noticed by most people because until gas started passing the $2.75/gal mark were most people filling up with more than $50-60 in gas at a time.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/26/2006, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking no.

Yep, should've looked it up...QT is privately held, Q8 is Kuwaiti oil...

So..., where does QT get there refined gas from, who is their refiner, Valero, Tesoro?

Jimminy Crimson
4/26/2006, 02:50 PM
Did someone here actually argue for "Mom and Pop" gas stations? What the heck do they bring to the table? Dirty bathrooms and overpriced gas? Crappy food selections and weird truck-stop trinkets?

Back in the day, they were useful. You could have Bud, Homer, or Earl check your tire pressure or put a plug in if you had a nail in your tarrrr. Remember full service? (I guess in NJ, Oregon, and some other places it is mandatory, though)

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 02:59 PM
Plus, mom and pop stations usually have the best pr0n.

Jimminy Crimson
4/26/2006, 03:11 PM
Plus, Raji and Samir stations usually have the best pr0n.

...and rolling papers, and pipes, and incense. :texan:

BigRedJed
4/26/2006, 03:12 PM
And tiny roses in a glass tube and copper pot scrubber wool right next to each other. Those are awesome.

Stoop Dawg
4/26/2006, 05:56 PM

Didn't read all 4 pages, so maybe it was answered. When you swipe your card at the pump it "pre-authorizes" a certain dollar amount (usually around $50). When you are finished pumping it charges the actual amount against the "pre-authorization". They could simply raise the pre-auth amount, but then you may start getting declines.