PDA

View Full Version : Mmm, beer....

Czar Soonerov
4/20/2006, 10:58 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/662

What Guinness wouldn’t confirm or deny is the rumor that a portion of each batch is aged in very old oak tuns populated with Brettanomyces and lactic acid bacteria to lend Guinness its characteristic touch of sourness. Supposedly, it’s then pasteurized and blended into the remainder of the batch.

BeetDigger
4/20/2006, 11:05 AM
Guinness, in spite of it's dark color and "reputation" as a heavy beer is instead, quite refreshing and very quaffable. I find that a couple of pints of guiness are very easy to throw down. It is also pretty low in carbs. In case you are wanting to maintain your girlish figure. I know that I am.

Viking Kitten
4/20/2006, 11:11 AM
It is also pretty low in carbs. In case you are wanting to maintain your girlish figure. I know that I am.

My English friend who practically grew up on the stuff told me the same thing. I took him at his word and didn't bother to try to independently confirm this info, because Guinness actually being healthy is pretty much God's answer to all my prayers.

OhU1
4/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Guinness is very overrated. Grab some Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout and Oak aged Yeti Imperial stout. Available at the liquor store on East Alameda. Pure heaven!

Otherwise, buy any domestic craft brewer's version of stout and it will blow Guinness away.

slickdawg
4/20/2006, 11:15 AM
Guinness, in spite of it's dark color and "reputation" as a heavy beer is instead, quite refreshing and very quaffable. I find that a couple of pints of guiness are very easy to throw down. It is also pretty low in carbs. In case you are wanting to maintain your girlish figure. I know that I am.

Beetdigger, what in the hell does your avatar say?

Viking Kitten
4/20/2006, 11:22 AM
Guinness is what I like to call "delicious." Guinness touching my tongue is like licking heaven.

SoonerWood
4/20/2006, 11:25 AM
I polished off 2 Guinness Extra Stouts last night. PURE DELICIOUSNESS.

SoonerWood
4/20/2006, 11:27 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/662

What Guinness wouldn’t confirm or deny is the rumor that a portion of each batch is aged in very old oak tuns populated with Brettanomyces and lactic acid bacteria to lend Guinness its characteristic touch of sourness. Supposedly, it’s then pasteurized and blended into the remainder of the batch.

BRILLIANT

Fugue
4/20/2006, 11:30 AM
Guinness is very overrated. Grab some Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout and Oak aged Yeti Imperial stout. Available at the liquor store on East Alameda. Pure heaven!

Otherwise, buy any domestic craft brewer's version of stout and it will blow Guinness away.

you just about earned my first serious neg derivery. :eddie:

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2006, 11:31 AM

It's 'delivery', you razy American workah...

BeetDigger
Beetdigger, what in the hell does your avatar say?

I want taco.

It's my little reminder to Beef about his chinese friend.

slickdawg
I want taco.

It's my little reminder to Beef about his chinese friend.

Thanks for the clarification.

Fugue
4/20/2006, 11:32 AM
It's 'delivery', you razy American workah...

no, no, no, fa la la la la la la la la

SoonerWood
4/20/2006, 11:33 AM

same here!

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/20/2006, 11:33 AM

It rates above pretty much all the other mega brews. It's better for you than a coke. And it'll do when you don't want to spend 5 or 6 bucks for a pint in a bottle.

I'll check out the yeti, though. Sounds interesting. The review I read said it pours like oil. Fun.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/20/2006, 11:34 AM

If that post didn't put you over the edge, I don't know what it would take.

Fugue
4/20/2006, 11:37 AM
If that post didn't put you over the edge, I don't know what it would take.

i'm distracted by that 7.5 Guinness out there that I wasn't aware of.
Must get 7.5.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2006, 11:39 AM
I wonder how much beer I could drink in a lunch hour...

No, really...I wonder...

Fugue
4/20/2006, 11:41 AM

No, really...I wonder...

No more than 7. That seems to be the number when you mysteriously vanish from drunkytown threads. :D

:eddie:

JohnnyMack
4/20/2006, 11:47 AM

I had the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout over the weekend. Very thick dark pour with a nice dark head. Very hoppy. Too hoppy for my liking anyway. Nice flavors but finishes with too much alcohol for me.

Mjcpr
4/20/2006, 12:22 PM
Very thick dark pour with a nice dark head.

You sure it wasn't purplish?

OhU1
4/20/2006, 12:22 PM
I've toured 1 brewery in my life: Guinness in Dublin, Ireland. You can't throw a rock in Ireland without hitting a Guinness advertisement. By the way contrary to popular belief the Guinness in Ireland is weaker than in the U.S. The version sold in the U.K. is only about 3.2 -3.5% alcohol just like our Okie beer. The export is about 4 - 4.5% I think.

Having sampled many a Guinness and many stouts by other brewers I stand by my rating that Guinness is not even in the top half. I am not talking about that Guinness Draught stuff with the widget inside. That black fizz is charcoal water marketed to frat boys as authentic stout.

That's my opinion anyway. But the beauty of beer is it doesn't matter who likes it but you!

Viking Kitten
4/20/2006, 12:39 PM

No, really...I wonder...

How much do you have to type at work? A lot? Do your bosses see it? Cuz I'd suggest you stop at four. :D

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2006, 12:58 PM
This is going to go over really well here.. but...

I really don't like beer... doesn't taste as good as wine or martinis... drink too much you feel gut busting full....

Granted, there are some places that require beer.. i.e., a basebore game or with a Fletcher's Corny Dog before the game (FOR ONLY TWO MORE YEARS THANKS TO THAT IDIOT LAURA MILLER)....

but.. other than that...

Viking Kitten
4/20/2006, 01:03 PM
I really don't like beer... doesn't taste as good as Cosmos or Flirtinis...

You're welcome.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2006, 01:11 PM
How much do you have to type at work? A lot? Do your bosses see it? Cuz I'd suggest you stop at four. :D

yOu maknig FuN of mee?

:D

Viking Kitten
4/20/2006, 01:17 PM
yOu maknig FuN of mee?

:D

Me making fun of somebody being drunk would be like the pope making fun of those old ladies with the silly red hats.

OhU1
4/20/2006, 01:17 PM
Lid, I would agree with you in so far as 95% of the beer sold in the mass market is a bland watery macro-swill striped of most flavor and character and indistinguishable from the other macro beers.

100% of beers sold off the shelf in grocery and convenience stores is light lager style beer. Light lager (color light, not calorie light) is the least interesting and bland of all styles. Great for a hot summer day but otherwise boring. There are dozens of styles and variations of beer and as much history and flavor variety as the fermented grape juice known as wine.

Fugue
4/20/2006, 01:23 PM
Lid, I would agree with you in so far as 95% of the beer sold in the mass market is a bland watery macro-swill striped of most flavor and character and indistinguishable from the other macro beers.

100% of beers sold off the shelf in grocery and convenience stores is light lager style beer. Light lager (color light, not calorie light) is the least interesting and bland of all styles. Great for a hot summer day but otherwise boring. There are dozens of styles and variations of beer and as much history and flavor variety as the fermented grape juice known as wine.

Mr. Cheery :texan:

OhUZepp :D :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2006, 01:38 PM
Me making fun of somebody being drunk would be like the pope making fun of those old ladies with the silly red hats.

:twinkies:

BeetDigger
4/20/2006, 01:41 PM
Beer, like Anita Bryant, is not just for breakfast anymore.

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2006, 01:46 PM
Beer, like Anita Bryant, is not just for breakfast anymore.

In Anita Bryant's prime.. wouldja?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/anitabryant.jpg

OhU1
4/20/2006, 01:50 PM
Ever heard the David Allen Coe song F&*# Anita Bryant.....::texan:

BeetDigger
4/20/2006, 01:54 PM
In Anita Bryant's prime.. wouldja?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/anitabryant.jpg

It's a Saturday Night Live reference. Back when all the cool people watched it. Like in 1978.

Orange Juice slogan at the time: It's not just for breakfast

SNL joke (because AB was the OJ spokesperson and was speaking out against homosexuality): Anita Bryant's husband claims, she's not just for breakfast anymore

Beet's, referencing the SNL skit and using the old saying that college guys everywhere used when referring to beer: Like AB, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

I hate it when I have to explain my jokes.

slickdawg
4/20/2006, 01:57 PM
There's also David Allen Coe's F*** ANITA BRYANT

F*** Antia Bryant
Who the hell is she?
Tellin' all them faggots
That they can be free

TexasLidig8r
4/20/2006, 01:57 PM
It's a Saturday Night Live reference. Back when all the cool people watched it. Like in 1978.

Orange Juice slogan at the time: It's not just for breakfast

SNL joke (because AB was the OJ spokesperson and was speaking out against homosexuality): Anita Bryant's husband claims, she's not just for breakfast anymore

Beet's, referencing the SNL skit and using the old saying that college guys everywhere used when referring to beer: Like AB, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

I hate it when I have to explain my jokes.

No.. we understood your attempt at humor (smelling all those Yankee Candles in your spare time has dulled your wit!) ;)

Nonetheless. woudlja?

handcrafted
4/20/2006, 04:56 PM
This is going to go over really well here.. but...

I really don't like beer... doesn't taste as good as wine or martinis... drink too much you feel gut busting full....

Granted, there are some places that require beer.. i.e., a basebore game or with a Fletcher's Corny Dog before the game (FOR ONLY TWO MORE YEARS THANKS TO THAT IDIOT LAURA MILLER)....

but.. other than that...

NTTAWWT
Actually, TISVWWT

Lid is ghey. :texan:

NormanPride
4/20/2006, 05:12 PM
Lid not liking beer does not surprise me at all.